BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 5, 2012 7:48 pm  #1

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

UK Gold at 9 p.m. tonight Martin Freeman stars in the film of Hitchhiker's Guid to the Galaxy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 5, 2012 8:48 pm  #2

Re: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I saw this when it came out and really didn't like it. I didn't know who Martin Freeman was back then, though!

May 5, 2012 8:58 pm  #3

Not my favorite movie, but it makes me laugh. I prefer the book -- of course, pretty much all books are better than their movie versions. ;) Funnily enough, the entire reason I watched the movie was because Martin Freeman was in it, haha. XD So that might've had a bit of an influence on my opinion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DON'T PANIC

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - A.C. Doyle

May 5, 2012 9:55 pm  #4

Watching it now. LOVE IT but I may be biased cause of Martin Freeman. He is amazing in it! completely different to how he is in Sherlock, shows no similar traits whatsoever.

May 5, 2012 10:01 pm  #5

Except he seems to be part of the Red Headed League in it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 28, 2012 8:58 pm  #6

I had never heard of Martin Freeman before (very accidentally) seeing "A Study in Pink" and getting hooked on Sherlock, but since being bowled over by his performance in "The Reichenbach Fall" I've bought several of his other DVDs.

My husband and I had greatly enjoyed the BBC television version of Hitchhiker's Guide, so I suppose we were expecting that the movie would be similar to our memories of that.  It wasn't, and I loathed it on first viewing.  But we had already paid for the DVD, so we thought what the heck, let's listen to the commentary and watch the extra stuff.  (By the way, this is the only time I've heard Martin Freeman participate in an entire commentary.  He made some very interesting points, so I hope he'll do more commentaries in the future -- such as for The Hobbit!)

By the time we had exhausted all the material on the DVD, we had a bit different attitude toward the movie.  For one thing, we had resented the addition of new material after the death of Douglas Adams -- but the commentary, etc., made it very clear that a good many of the new ideas had actually originated with Adams.  (Apparently he always saw Hitchhiker as a work in progress.)  So we decided to watch the movie again, and that time we thought it was pretty good.

Then we decided to watch the "real" (television) version again -- and we were greatly disappointed.  We enjoyed it, but it no longer struck us as fresh and quirky and inventive.  Perhaps the world has caught up with it, which may be one reason we were also somewhat disappointed with the movie.  Watching the movie for what it is, rather than what we imagined it would be, helped considerably, and I expect we'll watch it again eventually.

oliviasolar wrote:

... Martin Freeman ... is amazing in it! completely different to how he is in Sherlock, shows no similar traits whatsoever.

I agree!  After seeing him in a variety of roles, I am amazed that in general, each of his characters has a completely different set of facial expressions and gestures.

Davina wrote:

... he seems to be part of the Red Headed League in it.

Yes, and I do wish they would stop doing that to him!  He seems to look best with dark-blond hair like John Watson's, so I assume that is his natural color.  When they give him red hair, it clashes with his skin and makes him look anemic, poor fellow.  The red hair does go well with that dark-green bathrobe -- but they both clash with Martin Freeman, and he loses!  I think he is probably what author Carole Jackson calls a "summer," so his shade of green would have more blue in it.

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (July 29, 2012 5:37 pm)

July 28, 2012 9:12 pm  #7

Did anyone notice Alan Rickman did the voice of Marvin the depressive robot? 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 28, 2012 10:48 pm  #8

Yes!  That's another reason I ordered the Hitchhiker DVD.

And (speaking of actors who have been in other things with Martin Freeman) I also liked Bill Nighy very much as Slartibartfast.

Last edited by Carol the Dabbler (July 28, 2012 10:55 pm)

August 12, 2012 8:16 pm  #9

Hadn't paid too much attention to this movie until I found out Martin Freeman was in it. So I purchased the dvd and finally watched it yesterday. I did not find it hilariously funny but it was a cute movie and I really liked it. Martin is great, and I enjoyed Alan Rickman as the voice of Marvin. Working my way through the special features now, including the entertaining commentaries. 

********************************************************************************************************

"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever.
Why would I do that?
Because you're an idiot."

"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants."

Gwyn eich byd a dymanuf i chwi lawenydd bob amser.

August 12, 2012 8:21 pm  #10

ISG, isn't it amazing where fandom leads? SO many movies I never would have seen without beeing Rickmaniac or Cumberbabe... 

August 12, 2012 8:42 pm  #11

Mattlocked wrote:

ISG, isn't it amazing where fandom leads? SO many movies I never would have seen without beeing Rickmaniac or Cumberbabe... 

Totally agree!

And then there are the movies I watched a few years ago for totally different reasons only to realize in the last few months that some of my "new" favorite actors were in them, so now I'm collecting and rewatching those movies with "new" eyes.  A couple of examples...

Last year I watched a mini series called "Case Histories". I watched it because I like Jason Isaacs, and have since purchased the dvd's. Then I found out Martin Freeman's wife Amanda Abbington is also in the series. I've now added it to the stack of dvd's to re-watch...

Some years ago I watched a movie called "Quiggly Down Under". I was a Tom Selleck fan at the time so that's why I watched it. Then along came Harry Potter and Alan Rickman (love him!), and lo and behold, I find out that Alan (Snape in Harry Potter) was also in Quiggly. It's now one of the movies on my wish list...

I could go on and on, but I'll stop here... 

********************************************************************************************************

"That's how you get your kicks, isn't it? You risk your life to prove you're clever.
Why would I do that?
Because you're an idiot."

"We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants."

Gwyn eich byd a dymanuf i chwi lawenydd bob amser.

August 12, 2012 9:38 pm  #12

Exactly! And hubby loves movies, so he was kinda glad that I started buying all that AR and CB stuff... 

August 26, 2013 9:38 am  #13

I watched it again yesterday - and for the first time with the knowledge that Arthur Dent is played by Martin Freeman.
I especially like the scene in which the crew is transformed into those little puppets, just hilarious! And who would ever have thought that Martin would make a pretty decent sofa? Yes, it seems he can play anything, even a sofa.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

Board footera