BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 7, 2015 1:52 pm  #1

My Letters Live review

Hi All

I went to Letters Live last thursday and thought I'd relay my account of the wonderful night I've had (sorry I've made a new topic, I didn't know what section to use).

I went with my friend, and I have to say I am very proud of my seat-picking skills because we were right in the line of the podium from where they read (on the side of it), and right by the door from where they were coming in. Benedict, Sophie and Louise (as well as Louise's boyfriend) sat/stood by that door to watch others perfom, so we ended up sitting a few seats away from Ben for most of the night! Ah, those cheekbones!!!

The night was absolutely amazing, with many funny moments and times where I was really moved.
Highlights: Ian McKellen - when he appeared on stage we literally couldn't believe our luck. Watching him live is unbelievable - he is every bit the amazing artist, and loves the applauses and attention. I literally adore him! The first letter he head was one he requested to read, a coming-out message from a gay son to his mother. So touching.
Andrew Scott was also there, and at that point I think my friend and I couldn't contain your excitement. He was so intense, moody, changeable, gorgeous. Seriously, he is absolutely underrated as an actor and I hope he gets more recognition in the future.
Benedict read a few times, always on point, at times touching and at times absolutely hilarious. His duet with Louise Brealey - Dear Bessie - was smashing - I couldn't stop laughing.
Joss Ackland - oh gosh. The man is perfection. He also really moved me nearly to tears.
Sophie Hunter reading was a really nice surprise. She looked beautiful and really elegant, and read two of my favourite letters of the night - the first, as I'm sure you've heard, Letter to my unborn child - so moving. Her voice sounded beautiful, like a violin - I was pleasantly surprised.

As I mentioned Ben, Sophie and Loo sat not far from us (at different times during the night) watching the other actors perform - Ben sat on the stairs for quite a while. On both times Sophie came off the stage, he took her hands and they smiled at each other; then towards the end, she sat first on one of the steps, then on one of the free seats, and Ben went to sit next to her and she hugged his shoulders, stroked his hair and at one point they kissed (while Andrew was reading! )
They seemed very happy and very in love, it was so cute to see.

(Btw, I posted something about the night on Tumblr, and got attacked and insulted by Sophie haters. Unbelievable.)

ps I realised I didn't think of saying this - but I used to write in here as Ozma - unfortunately I messed up with my email so I'm locked out now and couldn't reset my password for this forum, a huge mess! So I've decided to make a new account. Hope this is ok!

Last edited by Dorothy83 (April 7, 2015 3:17 pm)

April 7, 2015 2:05 pm  #2

Re: My Letters Live review

thank you very much for  your reporting. Sophie's reading is really touching piece.

And I wish I can be here to "witness " the sweet and blissful interaction between and Mr and Mrs Cumberbatch.

April 7, 2015 2:13 pm  #3

Thank you for your post. Must have been an incredible event. One day ... yes, one day I will make my way to it as well.

And those Sophie haters have no brain!

Last edited by gently69 (April 7, 2015 2:15 pm)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

April 7, 2015 2:59 pm  #4

Thank you for your report, Dorothy! It must have been an amazing night, indeed!

-Lily

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

April 7, 2015 3:12 pm  #5

Thank you for your report. Very happy you had such an amazing experience. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 7, 2015 7:13 pm  #6

Beautiful adventure. It was certainly great to be there. 

And don´t mind the haters, they are not right in the head.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 7, 2015 8:31 pm  #7

Thank you for your wonderful report - and welcome back. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

April 7, 2015 8:46 pm  #8

Thanks for the write up, I enjoyed reading it 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 7, 2015 9:55 pm  #9

Thank you so much for your live report from "Letters Live"! 

Being a continent away I have to satisfy my desire to be there myself with living vicariously through the kindness of people such as yourself who take the time and effort to post such reports. 

I really appreciate it.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time.  Not only for the lovely letters read that evening but also because of all the talented people you were able to see in the flesh that night.

I especially love your description of the loving interaction between the Ben and Sophie.  That really makes me smile.  I'm glad to hear that he and Sophie seem so happy.  Ben seems to have met someone who is a wonderful match for him.   

And like the others here have said - don't mind the haters, they aren't important in the long run.  They are just warped individuals who will end up stewing in their disgusting actions, words and thoughts while the rest of us just carry on enjoying Ben's happiness and celebrating his continued success.   

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

Board footera