BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 31, 2015 6:51 pm  #21

Re: Mycroft Holmes

Swanpride wrote:

Yea, Sherlock is lazy, despite the fact that his mind is busy all the time. Because Sherlock only trains his mind in what he considers "fun". He doesn't challenge himself.

Very untrue.
Sherlock only engages his mind in problems he finds difficult and intriguing. He refuses to waste it on common, mundane, easy problems.
Which means he does the very opposite - he challenges himself constantly.

Last edited by nakahara (March 31, 2015 6:52 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 31, 2015 7:57 pm  #22

I´m sure Mycroft wouldn´t even consider investigating some shining rabbitt either. 
As a government, he probably has no time for that, his activities are too far-reaching and globally relevant to mind tiny things like that.
I think Sherlock, with lots of free time and with an interest in such peculiarities, is still more probable investigator in cases like this. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 31, 2015 8:20 pm  #23

I wouldn't call Sherlock lazy. He will spend a lot of time and effort, without any rest, for a case. He will do intellectual deductions, practical experiments and legwork/action to get it done. He is far from lazy. However, what he has failed to master, is the grown-up ability to handle boredom and to deal with frustration without having everybody around him suffer for it.

Anyway, that is off topic as this thread is about Mycroft. I think Mycroft internalizes his emotions, whileas Sherlock externalises them. Mycroft might be as frustrated,bored and angry as Sherlock, but he puts on his government smile and deals with it internally. Sherlock deals with it by letting everybody KNOW he is frustrated and bored, so that someone can come along and fix it for him.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 31, 2015 8:22 pm  #24

Swanpride wrote:

True, but he would skip a case if it doesn't seem interesting enough immediatly. Take the glowing rabbit. He saw this as beneath him so he nearly missed out on a challenging case. Or all the people who came to him because of "lost bodies". Because it didn't look interesting on a first look, he was to lazy to pay attention to it and therefore missed the big picture. Mycroft on the other hand does pay attention to details like that, even if he considers them beneath him, because he knows that there might be a bigger picture after all.

It seems to make sense to me that Sherlock would skip anything he finds not interesting. He does the cases to stop himself being bored. Sherlock is incapable of keeping his mind busy without outward stimulation and he clearly hates the feeling of his brain spinning on nothing. So he is always looking for the most efficient distraction. Mycroft, on the other hand, can either still his mind or is much better at occupying himself. At least we never see him in near panic that his mind might tear itself to pieces. But that also means he would probably never get desperate enough to go after an escaped glow-in-the-dark rabbit or help a young man because he used an old-fashioned word for dog. Btw, the fact that Mycroft knows about the “missing body” cases Sherlock was getting means that Mycroft is very aware of what Sherlock’s clients come to him for.

Last edited by Lola Red (April 1, 2015 11:59 am)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

March 31, 2015 8:29 pm  #25

Vhanja wrote:

Anyway, that is off topic as this thread is about Mycroft. I think Mycroft internalizes his emotions, whileas Sherlock externalises them. Mycroft might be as frustrated,bored and angry as Sherlock, but he puts on his government smile and deals with it internally. Sherlock deals with it by letting everybody KNOW he is frustrated and bored, so that someone can come along and fix it for him.

Interesting point. Might be true that Sherlock is basically calling for help very clearly, while Mycroft tries to fix problems on his own. Maybe that is because Sherlock always knows that there is at least one person he can turn to for help (Mycroft has a very prominent place in his mind palace as advisor), while Mycroft has to live in a world of goldfish where, when he does not know the answer, no one will.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

April 15, 2015 1:47 pm  #26

Please tell me if this is wrong here. I like the analysis very much although the outcome would be sad. But there are others metas on this subject as well and I think they have a point:

http://jenna221b.tumblr.com/post/116417857360/tables-are-turning-mycroft-sherlock-goldfish

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 15, 2015 1:56 pm  #27

Lola Red wrote:

Interesting point. Might be true that Sherlock is basically calling for help very clearly, while Mycroft tries to fix problems on his own. Maybe that is because Sherlock always knows that there is at least one person he can turn to for help (Mycroft has a very prominent place in his mind palace as advisor), while Mycroft has to live in a world of goldfish where, when he does not know the answer, no one will.

And interesting meta I read (which I posted earlier in this thread) made the suggestion that it might come from the sibling relationship. Mycroft was oldest, so his parents could have been more prone to keep him on a schedule. You know, first time parents being a bit more rigid in "doing it right". So he could cry as much as he wanted to, feeding time would wait until 0700 sharp and bedtime was 2000 sharp. Period.

But Sherlock being the youngest would perhaps get extra attention from his older brother Mycroft. Mycroft being very young wouldn't know the consequences of giving wee Sherlock attention when he gaves his litle temper tantrums as a toddler.

So Mycroft learned to internalize his emottions because his tantrums had no success so he just had to deal with it himself. Sherlock learned that tantrums gave him the attention he wanted, so he continued doing it. Since none of the Holmes brothers learned proper socialization when they grew up, they never learned to deal with their emotions like proper adults, and so kept with the coping mechanisms that worked in their childhood.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

April 15, 2015 2:57 pm  #28

just a little add-on : In the Canon, Mycroft Holmes is described as the smart one, but also as lazy.
"he has no ambition and no energy. He will not even go out of his way to verify his own solutions, and would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove himself right" (the adventure of the greek interpreter)

April 15, 2015 3:00 pm  #29

NatureNoHumansNo wrote:

just a little add-on : In the Canon, Mycroft Holmes is described as the smart one, but also as lazy.
"he has no ambition and no energy. He will not even go out of his way to verify his own solutions, and would rather be considered wrong than take the trouble to prove himself right" (the adventure of the greek interpreter)

I think this comes across in the BBC series as how Mycroft despises "legwork".

Team Hudders!

April 15, 2015 3:18 pm  #30

Vhanja wrote:

I think this comes across in the BBC series as how Mycroft despises "legwork".

Yes, I guess so, but the BBC Mycroft is anyway quite anacanonical ( but they made him a great character, though)

April 15, 2015 4:03 pm  #31

SusiGo wrote:

Please tell me if this is wrong here. I like the analysis very much although the outcome would be sad. But there are others metas on this subject as well and I think they have a point:

http://jenna221b.tumblr.com/post/116417857360/tables-are-turning-mycroft-sherlock-goldfish

This is a very good meta but it upsets me so much!   I know that there has been much speculation about the chance that Mycroft might die.  I also recognize the trope that in the hero's journey the mentor dies. (always knew Dumbledore was a goner)  

Losing Mycroft would have HUGE repercusions to Sherlock, the character and the show.  It could make for some excellent story telling.  But I'm selfish.  I don't want to lose our Mycroft!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 15, 2015 4:14 pm  #32

Omg, Mycroft can't die! He just can't, he is my fav character after Sherlock and John. 

Team Hudders!

April 15, 2015 5:02 pm  #33

I don't want him to go either.   I feel he has been developed as a character more than in any other adaptation I've seen.   I think I could cope with him dying in a grand finale, but if there continue to be a fifth, sixth, seventh season, then I want him in them. 

April 15, 2015 8:12 pm  #34

don't start mourning, he's still alive
I really like the Mycroft they create, but I wouldn't mind if he was a bit less everpresent in the cases.
But I'm not sure he " has to die", as Dumbledore had to.  Sherlock Holmes isn't really the hero of a initiatory journey... Well, you can say he's learning to become more human, and it can be seen a initiatory in that way, but then , I highly doubt Mycroft could be his mentor in this kind of quest

April 15, 2015 8:29 pm  #35

I think Mycroft has been a sort of higher instance or authority for Sherlock which is quite obvious from the glimpses into his mind palace. His judge-like position in TSOT and the scenes in HLV reveal how Sherlock truly thinks and feels about him and tell us more than his conscious behaviour does. He has been guided by Mycroft for quite a long time but in series 3 we Sherlock freeing himself from Mycroft, maybe most clearly in the Operation scene in TEH. Of course there is a sort of "relapse" at the end of HLV but on the whole he seems to be disengaging from Mycroft's influence, especially where feelings are concerned.   

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 16, 2015 8:17 am  #36

Ok, mourning over and I can think a bit more clearly. 

I don't think Mycroft falls into that mentor role either. Mycroft stands for the opposite of what Sherlock strives towards - being more human and more caring. If we were to follow the mentor pattern, it would actually be John who would die. He is Sherlock's moral compass, and it would be great struggle for him to keep humanize without John.

Not that I believe John wil die. Just that I don't think this show fits into the mentor pattern.

Team Hudders!

April 16, 2015 8:31 am  #37

Why would it be John who dies? IMO the mentor trope also includes the mentor becoming redundant because the "student" has learned everything there is to learn or because the "student" realises that they have to make their own choices from now on and have to free themselves from the mentor. 

The "not caring" may have served Sherlock for quite a long time during his development and rise as a detective (maybe also during his adolescence) but since he has met John he has realised that his personality is not complete without allowing emotions. 

April 16, 2015 8:36 am  #38

Usually the mentor trope has a mentor that helps the hero towards the path he is taking, and when the mentor dies the hero has to continue on that path alone, using what the mentor has thaught him so far.

John fits into that trope more than Mycroft does, because John is the one helping Sherlock on his path to humanization, not Mycroft.

Team Hudders!

April 16, 2015 8:55 am  #39

This is true. But we only rarely see John within Sherlock's mind palace while Mycroft is very present. 

And for me the mentor trope applies to the whole not caring/distancing oneself from feelings business which is represented by Mycroft, not by John, and has to be overcome by Sherlock. 

I think it would be illogical if Sherlock was to lose John who helped him to allow feelings and instead to remain with Mycroft who trained him to do the very opposite. 

April 16, 2015 9:18 am  #40

If we were to follow the mentor trope, it would make more sense to loose John. How can the hero go on on the path the mentor set him towards with the mentor? That would be Sherlock's challenge if John died.

Mycroft is his mentor when it comes to deductions, cold reasoning and stepping away from caring, feelings and sentiment. If that was the path Sherlock was moving towards, then Mycroft would be his mentor in that regard. And thus it would be logical for him to be the one dying.

The point is that the mentor is the one training and helping the hero towards the end goal. The mentor dies and the hero think he isn't ready to go on without him. To me, that would be John. Could Sherlock go on being more humanized and more caring without John?

Team Hudders!

Board footera