BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2016 9:30 pm  #221

Re: Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft told Sherlock himself, didn't he? 'Your loss would break my heart.'

Also in TAB Mycroft and Greg are the ones who stay, John lets himself be taken away by his wife. So even in his MP Sherlock acknowledges Mycroft will stay at his side, no matter what.

April 1, 2016 8:47 pm  #222

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 1, 2016 9:06 pm  #223

Hmm...This seems to me like he might have spoke/interacted with Magnussen before, since he has spoken to Moriarty and Moriarty used an expression that Mycroft did two out of those three instances that the post mentions.

Clueing for looks.

April 2, 2016 11:36 am  #224

I would go even further and say that Mycroft has used CAM for his own purposes on occasion (“If you go against Magnussen, then you will find yourself going against me” “He never causes too much damage to anyone important. […]He’s […] occasionally useful to us.”)
In my headcanon Moriarty had contact with CAM before/during his trial, which is how he knew and exploited the pressure points of the jury members. Also note how Moriarty uses the phrase “pressure point”, the exact same phrase that CAM uses.
Now for the Mycroft-Moriarty connection there is M theory, which I have to admit I still have not read, but (please correct me if I am wrong) it assumes that Mycroft is under Moriarty’s control. My personal headcanon is the exact opposite, I have a suspicion that “Moriarty” is an invention of Mycroft to keep his baby brother off the drugs while also conveniently getting some “housekeeping” done.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

April 2, 2016 12:20 pm  #225

Yes, I have been thinking about the "you inventend Moriarty" thing from TRF and that it might be true after all. The difference being that not Sherlock but Mycroft invented him. The Magnussen connection has bugged me from the beginning as well.

But - and this is a big But - what about Mycroft's love for his brother? If Sherlock's loss would truly broke his heart and if he truly cares as much as he does in TAB, why put his brother through all this? I think we can agree that the Moriarty thing sort of ruined Sherlock's life. He came back years later, wanting to pick up his old life (most of all John) and found himself empty-handed. And then a similar thing happened again in HLV. 

All this points to Mycroft either being a terrible villain or being under someone's thumb. But there is also evidence for Mycroft being the one drawing the strings in the background. 

I am convinced this will become a big thing in series 4. 

Last edited by SusiGo (April 2, 2016 12:20 pm)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 2, 2016 7:01 pm  #226

And of course there is the question how CAM could know about Redbeard.
Interesting. Very interesting.
Maybe it's not related, but I just had to think about what Jim said to Sherlock in TAB, about his comfortable bed. There are two persons in Sherlock's RL that know his bed: Irene and Janine. Irene being a tool of Jim. Janine (in my secret little headcanon) being a tool of CAM.

April 4, 2016 9:43 am  #227

Is Mycroft abusive towards Sherlock? This meta questioning him brings interesting thoughts on that:

http://antivertigo.tumblr.com/post/142132959866/okay-so-i-think-something-we-need-to-talk-about

It rings quite true, especially this part:

Like the interaction that stood out the most to me, in TEH after Mycroft has ‘rescued’ Sherlock from captivity and starts going on about how difficult and stressful it was for him, and how Sherlock should be grateful he rescued him at all, and that look on Sherlock’s face - I immediately connected with that look because I know exactly what it means and I have been in that situation before. He shuts up and doesn’t say anything more to Mycroft about it because Mycroft is always like this, has always been like this, it’s always about his struggle, his pain, his discomfort, and nothing he says is going to change it, so he says nothing.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 4, 2016 10:06 am  #228

Interesting thoughts indeed. If Mycroft should be revealed to be Sherlock's adversary, it might be as described in this meta. Not being the typical "criminal" villain, acting out of concern for his brother but also selfishly and in a way that is damaging to Sherlock. This might also include inventing Moriarty for his own purposes. 

As for the Serbia scene: I did not expect big feelings here but Mycroft's "the holiday is over" always struck me as a bit cruel, even for him. 

April 4, 2016 10:23 am  #229

I'm finding that post difficult to read - I'll come back to later (maybe a copy and paste will help!).   I don't think I would say that Mycroft is abusive (although I can understand why people see that).  I do think he tends to infantilise Sherlock and take on an unwarranted parenting role.   This seems to have the effect of goading Sherlock to act more like a rebellious child.   It would be interesting to see the difference in their relationship if Mycroft treated him as an adult and an equal.   They are extremely powerful together.     But I do wonder if the way Mycroft treats Sherlock and his superior age and intellect sometimes actually motivates Sherlock?  There did seem to be hints in TAB that rivalry with Mycroft pushed Sherlock to be more competitive and therefore more effective (but not a better person).  I think Sherlock is better at using the heart that Mycroft claims to lack (or at least Sherlock is less good at trying to hide it, but that works out the same way!). 

If he did invent Moriarty (I hope not), then yes, I think that would be abusive. 

April 4, 2016 10:25 am  #230

Yes, this "holiday is over" remark was very callous in regards to a man living in danger for two years and tortured for days or maybe weeks...

British allegedly use understatement in their speech all the time - but this was ridiculous even to a British standard...

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

April 7, 2016 9:20 am  #231

I confess to being very much saddened by people ready to believe the worst of Mycroft. Even in the modern version of Sherlock's MP he's the one that remains at Sherlock's side, though he clearly believes Sherlock could spend his time much more fruitfully. John however, rants like mad at Sherlock and initiates Mary walking him home. Apparently, deep down, Sherlock realises Mycroft loves him and will try to always be there for him.

April 7, 2016 9:23 am  #232

I really would like to believe that Mycroft is just that. He is a wonderful character. But if you look at his behaviour throughout the show there is much that may throw doubt upon his motives. And the way Sherlock sees him in his MP - in TSoT, HLV, and TAB - is quite telling. And I also think that the narrative demands something to happen between them whatever it may be. I do not wish Mycroft to die or come to harm or be evil in a way but I think this might be where the writers are going. 

April 7, 2016 9:36 am  #233

dioscureantwins wrote:

I confess to being very much saddened by people ready to believe the worst of Mycroft. Even in the modern version of Sherlock's MP he's the one that remains at Sherlock's side, though he clearly believes Sherlock could spend his time much more fruitfully. John however, rants like mad at Sherlock and initiates Mary walking him home. Apparently, deep down, Sherlock realises Mycroft loves him and will try to always be there for him.

I do not believe the worst of Mycroft, still, in my opinion his behaviour to Sherlock borders on downright abuse. This constant mocking and sneering at Sherlock´s work, putting him down in front of strangers, dissing his person and even his flat, calling him names, making fun of his achievement and of his intelligence... how exactly is this to Sherlock´s benefit?

Despite his strong words, Sherlock is looking up to his brother and he gets this in return?

April 7, 2016 9:59 am  #234

@SusiGo
@Nakahara

I totally agree they could do with a good heart to heart. But the MP scene in TSoT mainly shows Sherlock acknowledging that Mycroft has helped him and is still helping him to perform better. As he does in TAB. Surely the lists convey a deep mutual agreement, an understanding and perhaps even a grudging admission on Mycroft's part that the drugs may be a weakness his little brother can't do without. 

To me it's fairly obvious Mycroft has been supporting Sherlock with resources and money during his time away from London. True, he communicates in sneers but Sherlock gives him as good as he gets. Also the fact that Mycroft came to Sherlock when the Bruce Partington plans were stolen shows he has great trust in his brother's abilities. 

April 7, 2016 10:03 am  #235

As I said, Sherlock 's MP is quite telling. He sees Mycroft as a judge, high above himself. Or the way he is presented in HLV - Sherlock as a scared little boy and his brother towering over him, telling him he is a disappointment to their parents. There must be a reason for this.

April 7, 2016 10:08 am  #236

Sherlock being younger? I wouldn't know being the eldest myself but looking at my sister's behaviour I'd say it has a lot in common with Sherlock's.

April 7, 2016 11:30 am  #237

April 7, 2016 11:56 am  #238

What I find intriguing about Mycroft is that I do not for one moment doubt that he truly loves his little brother, yet I also believe Sherlock when he says that Mycroft is “the most dangerous man [anyone] will ever meet”. I can see Mycroft setting up “Moriarty”, and in a weird and twisted way he would be doing it for his brother’s benefit, to safe him from himself by offering the perfect distraction (and taking out a criminal network in the meantime). In my mind it would fit with a man who once filled a whole plane with stolen corpses and called it “neat”.

qnakahara: I would watch that show 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

April 7, 2016 12:09 pm  #239

Well said, Lola. Makes a lot of sense to me. 

April 7, 2016 3:21 pm  #240

Yes I've been thinking about all of this...
I think Moriarty is real...
But it was always on the cards that Mycroft could have set up the video thing.
What I still don't get is Andrew's appearance after the credits, in HLV...
But I do like the explanation of the 'what he will  do next' being  actually in reference to Mycroft.
I kind of know that as I have to accept Sherlock did have feelings for Irene...
I also have to accept Moriarty is gone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera