BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 11, 2015 9:26 am  #181

Re: Mycroft Holmes

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2016 4:07 pm  #182

The special had some lovely Mycroft moments. And the conformation of what we always knew: Mycroft was, is, and always will be there for his little brother. And Sherlock seems to know that (he did make a list)

He seemed to me to be the tragic figure on that plane (which is not easy if your sending next to your younger brother who has just overdosed). I am starting to fear for him.

Him being absolutely unfazed by Mary's abilities seem to indicate that MP Sherlock was right in his deduction that Mary works for Mycroft. How she stayed in his good books after the shooting though remains a mystery for me, but it would at least explain his huge OOC oversight last season.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 4, 2016 4:09 pm  #183

The latter is the pertinent point, I think.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2016 8:33 pm  #184

Lola Red wrote:

The special had some lovely Mycroft moments. And the conformation of what we always knew: Mycroft was, is, and always will be there for his little brother. And Sherlock seems to know that (he did make a list)

He seemed to me to be the tragic figure on that plane (which is not easy if your sending next to your younger brother who has just overdosed). I am starting to fear for him.

Him being absolutely unfazed by Mary's abilities seem to indicate that MP Sherlock was right in his deduction that Mary works for Mycroft. How she stayed in his good books after the shooting though remains a mystery for me, but it would at least explain his huge OOC oversight last season.

Actually, I'm convinced almost everything on the plane took place in Sherlock's MP as well, except for the very last scene shot there (when Sherlock runs out of the plane, leaving the shraps for Mycroft to collect). As the special reveals Sherlock suffers from a massive inferiority complex it makes sense that he allows even Mycroft's authority to be threatened by others, in this case, Mary. She may still be working for Moriarty imho. Sherlock's view on RL is distinctly different from the reality surrounding him.

January 4, 2016 8:43 pm  #185

I am certainly having great difficulty distinguishing between what is real and what Sherlock is hallucinating.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2016 9:37 pm  #186

dioscureantwins wrote:

Lola Red wrote:

Actually, I'm convinced almost everything on the plane took place in Sherlock's MP as well, except for the very last scene shot there (when Sherlock runs out of the plane, leaving the shraps for Mycroft to collect). As the special reveals Sherlock suffers from a massive inferiority complex it makes sense that he allows even Mycroft's authority to be threatened by others, in this case, Mary. She may still be working for Moriarty imho. Sherlock's view on RL is distinctly different from the reality surrounding him.

I have the same feeling. My only problem after watching it again is that then we would see Sherlock tearing the list without knowing what it is about and Mycroft picking up the scraps. Apart from that most of it makes sense without the previous plane scene being real. Anyway, John is the only one Mycroft trusts to protect his brother and that makes me very happy. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2016 9:50 pm  #187

I think that if the last scene on the plane is "real", then the first scene, with the list and the flashback, is real too.    The two scenes tie together.   I know Mycroft's "I'll always be there for you" seems a bit OOC, but I think it makes sense at that time - almost losing Sherlock, then getting him back only to find he's taken a drug overdose.

January 4, 2016 10:00 pm  #188

Mycroft's "I'll always be there for you" reminds me a bit of Sherlock's vow at the end of HLV... but I don't have any clue what this could mean for the scenes on the plane and how real they actually are.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 4, 2016 10:15 pm  #189

Well, to me it means that the person saying this loves the other person very much and would be willing to sacrifice themselves. Which Sherlock does. And which Mycroft possibly might do as well. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 6, 2016 3:05 pm  #190

I rewatched TAB last night and now I´m pretty sure that Sherlock´s first awakening into the modern era is real. It ties directly to the last scene of Sherlock´s awakening in the plane.

(It also establishes Mary as a superhacker... sigh.)  

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 6, 2016 3:42 pm  #191

One of her many skills.

January 6, 2016 3:52 pm  #192

I can not be 100% but I think all the scenes on the plane are mp . There seem to be two tells , the tie , and the back of the plane , in some scenes it is all solid wood and in others it is squares of opaque glass.

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 6, 2016 3:52 pm)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 6, 2016 3:59 pm  #193

I disagree. I think they are both real and are a link form Victoriana to modern.
Also setting up for S4.

January 6, 2016 4:20 pm  #194

You may well be right and he comes in and out of the hallucinations a few times.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 6, 2016 4:52 pm  #195

I think it is very difficult to say for sure what is real. For me Mary casually hacking the MI5 database to get information about the old case does not seem credible. Not to mention Mycroft looking on half embarrassed, half worried. Borderline believable, if you ask me.

January 6, 2016 4:54 pm  #196

Well each day of our discussion brings the resolution closer!

January 6, 2016 5:06 pm  #197

Well if Mary does hack into mi5 she does it on her own phone. First she has Sherlocks black phone and aww blog, next shot white phone and Sherlocks phone back in cup holder.
Mary has a mi5 app on her mobile . Very Moriarty.lol.

January 6, 2016 5:24 pm  #198

Oh, good observation. I did not see that. So she takes Sherlock's phone, remarks on him reading John's first blog entry while OD'ing, and then hacks MI5 on her own phone with Mycroft looking on and letting security ridiculed by her. If this is not surreal, what is? 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 6, 2016 5:26 pm)

January 6, 2016 5:28 pm  #199

I don't see why it's surreal...it's perfectly plausible. People have been known to hack into the CIA.

January 6, 2016 5:32 pm  #200

Also the tiny vision of Sherlock OD in the drug den is right the second before the hack moment, and that is definitely hallucinated.
I like my sons (  he is 14 ) version , all the scenes on the plane are dream because Mycroft is too much of a lazy arse to climb on the plane just to walk Sherlock off.

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 6, 2016 5:33 pm)

Board footera