BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 24, 2015 4:56 pm  #1

post-HLV

Hello. What fanfic, or meta, or speculation, or whatever could you share or recommend that is post HLV and respectful of the story so far and of the characters? It doesn't have to be all that well written in terms of style, it just has to make sense in terms of plot / characterization.

(In my private perfect world, it is more johnlocky than not and probably not all the way there, does not sweep Mary or her marriage to John under the carpet, does not just conveniently bomb Mary or her pregnancy out of existence, and does not play down Sherlock killing Magnussen. Honestly undecided on Moriarty being dead. Hopefully no babies although how THAT could be achieved without arbitrary bombs ex machina, I have no idea. Not quite decided on what's really there between Mary and Moriarty, or Mary her and Magnussen, or her and Sherlock for that matter, except that a polyamorous Mary-johnlock is out of the question for me.

Just to be clear, I'm not planning to steal anybody's ideas run away with them and write or anything. I'm just dying for some way, any way really to think this story on that is plausible and sarisfying. It's not exactly the same thing I would ask of the Sherlock team, whom I'd rather expect to write much more heartbreak and pain for the characters than I'm comfortable fantasizing about.

And no I can't think it up myself. The show so far is just the wrong shape for my mind to wrap around, the pieces don't fit (except I feel they should). So if you can point me towards some good ideas? They don't have to be what I said above, or that specific, or cover all those points. They could just be good strong plots / plot ideas to ponder, but ones which don't do violence to the characters and don't make their experiences so far irrelevant.)

What should I read?

March 24, 2015 7:53 pm  #2

Re: post-HLV

Vena Cava by silentauror is very good post HLV fic:

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1185880?view_adult=true

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 24, 2015 8:26 pm  #3

nakahara wrote:

Thanks. Shortish but too long for me to read tonight before bed. From the title and a quick glance, it will start with some of the ideas that I read in the wonderful meta at Firestorm over London... Great.

March 24, 2015 8:29 pm  #4

It is one of my series 3 favourites. 

You could also do a search for "fix-it" in the fanfic section. It should show some results. And you can also use the tag on AO3 to find HLV fics. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 25, 2015 8:07 am  #5

I have some meta recommendations that you might wanna check out:

The four arcs of Sherlock by [/url][url=http://archipelagoarchaea.tumblr.com/post/109465976878/the-four-arcs-of-sherlock]archipelagoarchaea, This deals with predicting the future of the show by analyzing the plot structure and character arcs of the show. Sounds a bit dry I know but once you figure them out you can get a better understanding of what’s going on. Really entertaining read.

Also meta on:
What is up with the Moriarty storyline?
How might Sherlock and John’s relationship progress throughout the show?
How will Mofitsson incorporate Mary and John’s baby into the story?
What is in store for Mary?
What is in store for Mycroft?

Happy reading! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

March 25, 2015 9:15 am  #6

nakahara wrote:

Finished. Very good ineed and so is the author. This story is more concise and better wriiten, in as much as I can judge that, than some others with similar plot ideas that I hafve seen around. Although it's not post-HLV at all. Still, I'm grateful for the recommendation, it was quite worth it.

edit:

SusiGo wrote:

You could also do a search for "fix-it" in the fanfic section. It should show some results. And you can also use the tag on AO3 to find HLV fics.

Yes I have although I tried the post-HLV tag rather more. Still, haven't run into Vena Cava, probably because I sorted by Kudos and it has fewer than it could. I asked even so because all those stories I have found jar, usually by having John turn away from Mary too easily, and that cheapens him. I ran into William Goldman's ten commandments the other day and remembered hearing how he was both Moffat's and Gatiss's guru, and number 8 struck me: "thou shalt seek the end of the line, taking characters to the farthest depth of the conflict imaginable within the story’s own realm of probability".

"To seek the end of the line" sounds like an idiom I don't know, but it seems to mean "to follow an idea to its utmost logical consequences" or something like that. Is it from fishing by the way? So with season 4 all those long months away I have been trying to build some tentative understanding in my own mind of what could be in store for them, just to have some peace of mind really. Something to hold on to that the actual season 4 can then come and flip upside down. Rocks fall and so on .

I don't think I have obsessed so much about literature / film / TV since the Sandman.

Thanks again.

Last edited by tehanu (March 25, 2015 4:54 pm)

March 25, 2015 4:56 pm  #7

tykobrian wrote:

I have some meta recommendations that you might wanna check out:

The four arcs of Sherlock by [/url][url=http://archipelagoarchaea.tumblr.com/post/109465976878/the-four-arcs-of-sherlock]archipelagoarchaea, This deals with predicting the future of the show by analyzing the plot structure and character arcs of the show. Sounds a bit dry I know but once you figure them out you can get a better understanding of what’s going on. Really entertaining read.

Also meta on:
What is up with the Moriarty storyline?
How might Sherlock and John’s relationship progress throughout the show?
How will Mofitsson incorporate Mary and John’s baby into the story?
What is in store for Mary?
What is in store for Mycroft?

Happy reading! 

Not dry at all. It looks amazing, like good food for thought at the very least.

March 25, 2015 4:58 pm  #8

nakahara wrote:

Now I've had to go back and re-read. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 25, 2015 9:18 pm  #9

tykobrian wrote:

I have some meta recommendations that you might wanna check out...

Reading, reading. It's mindboggling site. Could you help me understand a detail in this one?

http://deducingbbcsherlock.tumblr.com/post/79244529155/the-empty-hearse-metaphor-sex-lies-and

"And apparently it’s contagious, because then John NotGay Watson goes all innuendo in his response to a perfectly innocent question.

SHERLOCK: How are you feeling?
JOHN: Yeah, not bad. A bit…smoked.
SHERLOCK: Right."

How is "a bit smoked" (sexual) innuendo? Either I don't know something about sex (happens) or it's a bit of English I don't know. Hoping for the latter .

March 25, 2015 9:24 pm  #10

Have a look at definition no. 11. 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=smoked

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 25, 2015 9:39 pm  #11

SusiGo wrote:

Have a look at definition no. 11. 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=smoked

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 26, 2015 3:28 pm  #12

Sherlock is good for my word pool!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 26, 2015 3:35 pm  #13

LOL

Do you know all the English dirty words now Schmiezi?  

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 26, 2015 3:50 pm  #14

Surely not. At least I hope that there are more dirty words and phrases out there to be learnt!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 26, 2015 3:53 pm  #15

tehanu wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Yes I have although I tried the post-HLV tag rather more. Still, haven't run into Vena Cava, probably because I sorted by Kudos and it has fewer than it could.

Wow, I just checked that. Vena Cava has more than 1200 kudos. That's not what I'd call "fewer than it could". IMO it's a rather expressive number of kudos.

edit: Now I sorted all HLV-fix it fics on AO3 by kudos and found out that my own is number 11! Yay!

Last edited by Schmiezi (March 26, 2015 3:56 pm)

March 26, 2015 4:04 pm  #16

Schmiezi wrote:

Surely not. At least I hope that there are more dirty words and phrases out there to be learnt!

If you have any questions I'm here for you!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 26, 2015 4:05 pm  #17

Schmiezi wrote:

tehanu wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Yes I have although I tried the post-HLV tag rather more. Still, haven't run into Vena Cava, probably because I sorted by Kudos and it has fewer than it could.

Wow, I just checked that. Vena Cava has more than 1200 kudos. That's not what I'd call "fewer than it could". IMO it's a rather expressive number of kudos.

edit: Now I sorted all HLV-fix it fics on AO3 by kudos and found out that my own is number 11! Yay!

*high five Schmiezi*

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

March 26, 2015 4:24 pm  #18

I can also recommend this one by our very own Schmiezi (still a WIP but I can guarantee it will be finished)

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1527377/chapters/3230807

March 26, 2015 6:58 pm  #19

I can guarantee it too.

Board footera