BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2015 12:14 pm  #1

How to percieve and interpret a piece of art?

This topic has come up a couple of times now and as Susi said might deserve a thread of its own.
What ways are there to approach a piece of art?
Personally I try to begin with my point of view, with what I can see, hear, read, feel. This is the opening door. It is of course heavily influenced by my personality, my life experience so far, gender, profession, personal taste and so forth. Those are influences I cannot help.
On the other hand this art is created by someone I most probably don't know in the slightest. If I hear what the artist has to say about his intentions it might be a precious adding. But it should in my opinion not be the vital key for understanding.
If the artist makes his work public he should not forget that his work is a result of a creative process. He has made his decisions about which the audience can't possibly know. The audience sees the result after the decision to include or leave out scenes, colours, text passages etc.
So, what are your thoughts?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 19, 2015 12:47 pm  #2

Re: How to percieve and interpret a piece of art?

First the boring part: I agree with everything you've written, mrshouse.
Then I would like to add something I dealt with over and over again during my film studies at university. As an example let me talk about the Film Noir a bit. Because in Film Noir (and again, this is just one example among many others, you could also talk about the Western genre) there are certain stylistic, artistic elements and also elements with regards to content which need to be there to regard a film as (fully) belonging to the Film Noir genre. And there is an agreement among film scientists what those elements are; it's about lighting, darkness, camera angles, certain types of characters (the femme fatale, the doomed hero), certain topics (the married woman who has an affair with another man and together with him murders her husband; the innocent hero who unknowingly stumbles into a crime). Not all of these need to be there, but at least some of them. And if you know about them, this makes it easier for you to recognize such a film when you see one.
What I'm trying to say is that there are typical elements to every film genre, and of course sometimes they can be mixed with one another. But apart from that, there are certain stylistic elements in film which mean certain things, they are used to create a certain result. You can watch a film and not pay any attention to them and just enjoy the film; but you can also perceive a certain kind of subtext if you know what those elements are and what they mean.
Directors of photography know exactly what each and every camera angle they're using means, lighting directors know what it means when they light a scene in a certain way. And when the audience knows about these things as well, a whole new universe can open up.

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 19, 2015 12:48 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 19, 2015 12:51 pm  #3

In my view, there are two interpretations of a piece of art - the subjective one and the objective one.

The subjective interpretation is the one from the viewer. That will always be shaped by the personality, background, knowledge and experiences of the viewer and will therefore always be different from any other interpretation. You and I might look at the same painting or watch the same movie, but because we are different our view of the piece of art will probably also be different.

Then there is the objective interpretation, the one that was intended by the creator of the piece of art. Their intention of the work. 

What viewers get out of a piece of art will often be quite different than what the creator intended, which is not a bad thing. But in my mind, there will always be only one true, objective interpretation of a piece of art and that is the one intended by the creator. Everything else is subjective and filtered through our experiences and background. 

Of course, the creators intent will always be filtered through his or hers backround and experience just as much as the viewers.

I can only imagine if I wrote a book where I intended to portray X. Then a lot of people say Y and Z in it, which is of course fine. Different interpretations can even add to the piece and give food for thought to the creator. There might also be subconscious layers to a work that the creator wasn't aware of, and it will always be a product of the culture and time period of the creator.

However, where I personally draw the line, is when someone who read my book would state that their Z interpretation was just as valid as my intention as a creator. I would actually find that offensive as a creator. It is MY work and only MY intention is the original intention of the work. Everything else is subjective. Fine, great and creative, but not the original intent.

So when I watch a movie/read a book, and am not sure of the interpretation of it, I always go back to the creator. That is to me the main source to find the true interpretation of the work.

Of course, there are instances where my subjective, personal interpretation is far more important to me than the creators intent, and I am not in the slightest interested in what the creator intended because the personal interpretation is too important to me. That is of course also fine, but no matter if my personal interpretation is emotionally strong for me, it doesn't make it any more valid for anyone else than me.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 19, 2015 1:45 pm  #4

I disagree in two points:
1) Personally, I wouldn't even go as far as to call the artist's intention "objective", because also the artists undergo a personal and artistic development in their lives. It happens not so seldom that people in the artistic genre distance themselves from former projects. For example amongst actors it's quite often they cannot sympathize with a part anymore that made them big names. Does that mean it's suddenly bad work? Surely not.
2) I think the moment the artist makes his work public it's not his and his alone anymore. The moment my children move out from home they are still very much my beloved babies, but I have limited influence as to their life choices or how they are seen by friends. I can only hope I have prepared them well for the scary world outside (= made my intentions clear).

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 19, 2015 1:59 pm  #5

I agree, mrshouse. The moment an artist shares their work it becomes open for interpretation. And an artist makes subconscious choices that are reflected in their work even if they were not made consciously or deliberately. And their audience will see those things and interpret them and it would not be fair on the artists' side to say, no, that was never my intention. 

Interesting enough, it is often the works that have never been commented upon by their creators that have proved most successful and enduring precisely because they are so open to interpretation. Think of Shakespeare who has left us nothing but his works without any "operating manual". I am mainly thinking of literature here. 

And I also think it may be for a reason that so many works of modern art have no title. Because by choosing a title you already bestow a certain interpretation upon your work and some artists obviously prefer not to influence the viewer in such a way. 

And another thought - there are works of art that are meant to be ambivalent, that have interpretive variety as a default setting. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 19, 2015 2:02 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 19, 2015 2:10 pm  #6

SusiGo wrote:

And another thought - there are works of art that are meant to be ambivalent, that have interpretive variety as a default setting. 

I had to think about this earlier, too. Of course if you believe that the artist's intention is the only true intention/interpretation you could argue that even in such a case the artist had several specific ideas about the ambiguity of his work of art, what it could mean but also what it certainly doesn't mean. This then would bring us back to the idea that there does exist a true and valid interpretation that has been predetermined by the artist.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 19, 2015 2:15 pm  #7

It is true that there will be subconsicious influenced from the creator, but I don't think it's unfair of a creator to say "that was never my intention". An example here is Harry Potter. J.K.Rowling made it clear from more or less the first book that Ron and Hermione would end up together. It was always her goal, always her vision, and there were hints throughout more or less evey book. "Anvil-sized hints", as she put it herself. 

Yet, the Harry/Hermione-shippers wouldn't believe it, analyzing and meta'ing and being convinced that Harry/Hermione would end up together. When they didn't, a lot of the shippers seemed to become personally offended, saying the books were now "too obvious", and that it would be better literature if H/H ended up together because "it was more subtle". Calling J.K. Rowling a bad writer, boycotting her future work - it was quite surreal to witness.

And, yes, I honestly believe that in that example, there were one, true interpretation - Ron and Hermione fell in love with each other. Sometimes it is not about the author's subconscious, but the willingness of the vieweres/readers to see what they want to see. 

Oh, yes, that is what I wrote as well - a shared work IS open to interpretation. And that isn't a bad thing. Not at all. I am just saying that for me there is only one interpretation that is can be labelled as objectively true, and that is the creator's. 

So when I use the word objective, I mean it in the sense of it being the one original interpretation that is valid for the work itself. The subjective interpretations from the viewers are only valid to the one individiual that has made the interpretation (and for whoever else choose to agree with it).

That is why I personally am not fond of creators who won't give answers and says it's "all up to the viewer". I don't always care about what I interpret, I want to know what the creator thought when he/she made it. Because that is the one and only interpretation that I view as true.

If all I need is my own mind and my own thoughts, I won't need external stimuli. When it comes to art (I am now thinking more of things like paintings and poems, not entertainment media), I want the creator to teach me something, to show me something, to give me an epiphany that I wasn't able to get to by myself. To me, good art is philosophy, it makes me think. 

To do that, I need someone else's thoughts and opinions, not just my own. If all I need is me, I can just chuck some painting on a canvas and interpret that by myself. Because my personal interpretations will (usually) not surprise me, will not give me any epiphanies and will not teach me something new. They will just confirm what I already want to see. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

February 19, 2015 2:27 pm  #8

Vhanja wrote:

If all I need is my own mind and my own thoughts, I won't need external stimuli. When it comes to art (I am now thinking more of things like paintings and poems, not entertainment media), I want the creator to teach me something, to show me something, to give me an epiphany that I wasn't able to get to by myself. To me, good art is philosophy, it makes me think. 

To do that, I need someone else's thoughts and opinions, not just my own. If all I need is me, I can just chuck some painting on a canvas and interpret that by myself. Because my personal interpretations will (usually) not surprise me, will not give me any epiphanies and will not teach me something new. They will just confirm what I already want to see. 

But then what do you do when you're looking at a painting where we simply don't know anything about the artist's intention? Maybe because his intention just hasn't been passed on or because he simply refused to make his intention known? I totally agree, good art is philosophy, it talks to me, communicates with me and makes me think. The difference between you and me simply is that I don't need to know anything about the artist's intention in order to feel enlightened or to think. If the artist and/or his work of art is any good - or better: is any good to me - I won't need any information about it from the artist, because his painting or photography or film will communicate with me all on its own. And if it doesn't communicate wth me and I can't 'hear' or feel anything, then maybe it's just not for me. There are people I like and people I don't like, people who mean something to me and people who just don't. It's the same with art.

Last edited by SolarSystem (February 19, 2015 2:28 pm)

February 19, 2015 2:36 pm  #9

SolarSystem wrote:

But then what do you do when you're looking at a painting where we simply don't know anything about the artist's intention? Maybe because his intention just hasn't been passed on or because he simply refused to make his intention known? I totally agree, good art is philosophy, it talks to me, communicates with me and makes me think. The difference between you and me simply is that I don't need to know anything about the artist's intention in order to feel enlightened or to think. If the artist and/or his work of art is any good - or better: is any good to me - I won't need any information about it from the artist, because his painting or photography or film will communicate with me all on its own. And if it doesn't communicate wth me and I can't 'hear' or feel anything, then maybe it's just not for me. There are people I like and people I don't like, people who mean something to me and people who just don't. It's the same with art. 

That is true, there are good art that can talk to me on it's own. For instance, when I see movies like Tokyo Story and Maborosi, I don't really need to know too much about what the director intended (although that is always interesting to know), because I get so much from watching just the movies that it's mind-blowing on it's own.

However, as you mentioned, there are pieces of art that doesn't talk to me. I can't understand them on my own. And in those instances, I would love to have the creator's interpretation. Because then, I would be able to see what they wanted to have come across, and I would learn something new. If I can't read it by myself, and I don't know what the creator intended, I just get frustrated. It gives me nothing. 

It's the same with entertainment media. If the movie/series/book is ambigious, and there are different analyzises and interpretations out there, that is when I want to know what the creators were going for. Because my own interpretation won't give me that answer. My own interpretation will only be what I want to see, and that can never satisfy my wish for wanting to know what the movie/series/books was really about.

Team Hudders!

February 19, 2015 2:45 pm  #10

The tragedy of the artist is once a work becomes public...they have given away any control over it's perception.
And Perception really is everything in the end...the majority of people that view or read or hear or whatever any kind of art will have no idea of the who, what and why it was created...or what the creators said..the artist has control only over self...not other.

Many war memorial crosses in the uk were actually once put up during the plague as a place to leave food...and the statue of Eros in London.... is actually not Eros..@the mona lisa...is still mona lisa even though we now know her actual name..but now all can be referred to as their new perception..and neither are wrong. They have become both.

Tv@Film as art is interesting..@of course regarding Sherlock..because there isn't one artist or source it's a team..all working to their own perception of the theme.
Consider Marys thumbsup @ thumbsdown shirt..and the writers surprise and laughter at that
And who put the hearts on the wall between J@S in Hounds and did the graffiti in Vow...etc

Also the time frame and culture is important..consider shows like love thy neighbour...and that other series with Una Stubbs as the infamous Alf Garnets daughter in...  and why they can't be shown now.(racism).
Surely the modern perception of those shows was not the creators intent at all.

In ten , twenty or whatever years time..the perception of bbcSherlock may be completely different...will they still be able to show it?
And how many viewers will know or care about who wrote it and what they said about it..?
It will have become it's perception.

February 19, 2015 2:51 pm  #11

Ah-chie wrote:

Here is an article that deals with that very question (in fact they even site "Johnlock" as an examle of what is discussed - because no doubt, this is what this thread is really all about when it boils down).  

http://thegeekiary.com/authorial-intent-versus-audience-interpretation-whos-voice-is-more-valid/4024

For me, living as I do with an author and having a certain part of our household income dependent on literary royalties and the sanctity of ownership, I will side with the author of any piece of work (be it in any format) over "fanfic" interpretations every time. 

I think that audience (fans) can have all the fun they want with their "interpretations" in their own heads (and when discussing it among like-minded individuals) but it ends when they start dictating to the authors that they know better than those who created it, when the creators make it known that certain views are clearly misinterpretations.  That is something that just doesn't sit right with me. And it never will.

-Val

(Actually, this thread latest inspiration was from a discussion about Mary). 

But, yeah, I agree with you. When H/H-shippers said that their view would make Harry Potter greater literature, becaue J.K.Rowling made the "too obvious" choice I couldn't believe what I was reading. 

Team Hudders!

February 19, 2015 3:10 pm  #12

In my opinion, such thing as the "objective" reading of art is impossible.

To read authors intent "objectively", I would have to be sure that I´m seeing exactly what the author intended. In short, the objective reading of the art would only be possible under the premise that two people are able to percieve exactly the same content in the piece of art independently on each other.

So, for example, I would read the short story of Jorge Luis Borges, an author, who often inserts comments about his work and about the intent of his short stories into the text. Even if I keep my "subjective" interpretation to a minimum, am I reading exactly what Borges has written?

I don´t think so - I don´t have backround of being a man and Argentinian as well, I never experienced blindness, I know next to nothing about the Spanish-speaking world and culture, I know just the few words an author has spoken on the matter but I don´t have in my head his sheer experience in literature and his philosophical outlooks that form the silent background of his works. Even knowing the very minutiae of his biography, I still don´t know the contents of his head and therefore I cannnot be so arrogant as to presume I really know what Borges intended. I also cannot conveniently switch off my own mental "makeup", my identity as a woman, the influence of my own culture and country, the influence of my memories and feelings that form my background when reading or percieving the piece of art... I would only delude myself if I thought my reading of Borges is "objective".

And my reading would remain subjective even if I was a man, Argentianian and a blind person by chance. Those characteristic would make me similar to Borges by they won´t give me his memories, experiences and uniqueness of his mind.

That doesn´t mean that I am not getting new, exciting material from the artist. But it is still me, subjective me, who interprets it - so no, despite new stimuli to my mind, no "objective" reading is in play here.

I´m mentioning Borges intentionally because he very often speculated about art and its perception by an audience in his stories. Some of them speak about the very problem we are discussing now:

For example, in his story "Averrroes´s Search" Borges mentions that some pieces of art or philosophy, even when described by an author to maximal detail, can be incomprehensible for some people - intelligent people at that - solely because the culture in which they live forms a barrier that prevents them from understanding the problem. The hero of his story, Averroes (the great Arabic philosopher Ibn Rushd) who makes a translation of Aristoteles into Arabic, cannon for his life comprehend words "tragedy" and "comedy", because as a muslim living in Middle Ages he never experienced theatre and cannot imagine what it is. He finally finds an "objective" description for both terms, but of course, he only deludes himself thinking he got it right. (And then Averroes disappears and Borges ends the story by a candid remark that he was also deluded if he thought he could think like Averroes, about whom he has only an encyclopedic knowledge).

The other short story "Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote", deals with a French writer, Menard, who through some strange meditative techniques writes the exact, word-for-word copy of "The Adventures of Don Quixote de la Mancha" by Miguel Cervantes. Althrough both texts are word-for-word the same, the literary critics interpret both texts very differently, because for them too, the authorship is more important than the work of art itself. And so they, for example, praise Menard for the innovative use of the archaic Spanish language while dissing Cervantes for his boring usage of the dialec that was normally spoken during his times.

All is just a nice illustration of how impossible it is to reach "objectivity" in such things as art.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 19, 2015 3:17 pm  #13

You might have misunderstood what I meant with the word "objectivity". I meant that the creator's interpretation is the only objective one when it comes to being the only true one in relation to answering what was the true intention of the work.

I don't need to have lived the life of J.K. Rowling to understand her pairing Ron and Hermione. I don't need to have lived in post-war Japan to understand how Ozu wants to portray the contrast between tradition and modernity in 50s Japan.

Team Hudders!

February 19, 2015 3:24 pm  #14

In my opinion it is nearly impossible to view any work of art with an objective eye.  Even the eye of the creator themselves.   And, in my opinion, this is not a tragedy, but one of the most wonderful things about art.   Art can be a mirror.  Ulitmatly revealing more about the individual than the piece of art itself.

I think many artist know and understand this.  Not only accepting that once they release their art to the world it's not solely their own, but embracing this as part of the process.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 19, 2015 3:28 pm  #15

I think it might be best if you just ignore the use of the word objective as that seems to have caused a lot of misunderstanding and have clouded up the point I was trying to make.

Team Hudders!

February 19, 2015 3:30 pm  #16

I think it is even a condition of an art to include some ambivalence, some challenge to your intellect. Otherwise it would be in danger to be classified as a kitch:

"According to Walter Benjamin, kitsch is, unlike art, a utilitarian object lacking all critical distance between object and observer; it "offers instantaneous emotional gratification without intellectual effort, without the requirement of distance, without sublimation." (Wikipedia on "Kitch")

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 19, 2015 3:32 pm  #17

Oh, I agree, there should be. Please do not misinterpret what I am saying into thinking there shouldn't be any challenge, any ambivalence, any thought-process in art. That is not what I am saying at all, far from it.

Team Hudders!

February 19, 2015 3:34 pm  #18

I was not speciffically responding to your posts, Vhanja, but to the theme of the thread in general. Just my two cents on the matter - of course, that does not mean your views on the matter are somehow invalid, or anything similar.

February 19, 2015 3:39 pm  #19

Same here.  I have no problem with your use of the word objective Vhanja. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 19, 2015 3:49 pm  #20

Ah-chie wrote:

Well, I consider much of the discussion about Mary to really be part of the Johnlock milieu as well (because a lot of the angst surrounding that character stems from frustration of certain fans that John is married to her and thus thwarts Johnlock), so it still fits into that category from my POV.

This is a very serious issue with me. I know personally how much work goes into creating an actual book (it took many years for my husband's first book to be completed and published) and to have those who have never put their livelihood on the line in the creative arts, start prescribing meaning that contradicts the author's intent, when the author has stated that intent, is a step way over the line to me.

The old adage "There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed." is something that most of the audience can rarely imagine.  Until they have "bled" they really don't know how near and dear authorial intent and ownership of a creative work can be. 
--Val

Firstly, I think that those issues can indeed be discussed separately. And if I (as a Johnlocker) write about Mary this should be accepted as my take on Mary and not as the opinion of a frustrated fan. For me it is about credibility and Mary's story if taken at face value does not seem credible to me. 

Secondly, being a writer myself it is indeed a serious issue with me. But this is not what this thread is about if I understand it correctly. It is not about fanfic writers and/or fans trying to dictate the direction the writers have to take or to force their interpretations upon them. It is about the perception of a work of art, be it a film, a TV show, a book, or a painting and the validity of various readings.

Applied to Sherlock this means that we are talking about writers who have repeatedly contradicted themselves or openly confessed that they are not telling the truth in order to preserve the suspense and surprise of their future work. To me this seems like an invitation to interpret and speculate upon what we have got so far. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera