BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2015 7:48 pm  #21

Re: Benedict is a Married Man!

Even if it was my local church I would not have gone... just saying.

I am smiling though, knowing that no pics were taken. This is their day. They have NO duty to let the public be part of this.
Yay!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 14, 2015 8:05 pm  #22

Congratulation! Many happy years together for the new family! 

February 14, 2015 9:02 pm  #23

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 14, 2015 9:18 pm  #24

The pictures of the church are indeed beautiful, looks like a very romantic place. Pity it was raining  It's a bit sad that they needed security to block unwanted visitors. Though I suppose the biggest concert were the paparazzis, annoying folk But I also find it kind of weird that there were people standing in the rain for hours though it should be obvious for everyone that Ben & Sophie wish privacy.
I hope they had a wonderful ceremony and a great party  and I wish them all the best for their future. It's nice to know that Ben was getting married in the same year as I will be (in September)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

February 14, 2015 9:41 pm  #25

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 14, 2015 9:51 pm  #26

Congrats to you on when that special day arrives stoertebeker.

Yeah, I don't think anyone would have minded if a few locals took a curious peek as the guests drove by in their cars - it is more likely the paparazzis who were the biggest concerns (when it came to their privacy).

Whenever I see a wedding going on I just have to stop and look no matter who it is.  One time we were in the back garden at our house and we heard a piper going down the street.  We ran to the front to have a look see, and it was a wedding party being piped down the street towards the beach at the dead end there. All the guests were following behind clapping and having a grand time. We followed at a respectful distance behind them (they were getting photos done on the beach in the setting sun), watching them from the top of the sandune, and when they had finished with the photos and came back up to the road, we offered them our congrats and they seemed like they really appreciated it.  

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (February 14, 2015 9:52 pm)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 14, 2015 10:42 pm  #27

It must be different for celebrities, I guess. They get so much attention from other people all the time, that they must consider it a blessing when they finally have some moments for themselves and when they can perform some important parts of their lives without the constant interference from the outside world.

I´m glad that Benedict and Sophie really managed to have quiet, private ceremony with friends without the place turning into a media circus and without the fans interfering.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 14, 2015 10:55 pm  #28

I've just seen a photo on Tumblr.

I've no idea how the Internet got hold of it. 

Mod's note. Photo deleted. We should respect their wish for privacy. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 14, 2015 11:09 pm)

"The name's Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street."

February 14, 2015 11:11 pm  #29

nakahara wrote:

It must be different for celebrities, I guess. They get so much attention from other people all the time, that they must consider it a blessing when they finally have some moments for themselves and when they can perform some important parts of their lives without the constant interference from the outside world.

I´m glad that Benedict and Sophie really managed to have quiet, private ceremony with friends without the place turning into a media circus and without the fans interfering.

You've got a point there Nakahara.  I suppose that is true - the context of the situation is entirely different for those who aren't in the public eye all (or almost all) of the time. 

I am all for them having the privacy they desire at whatever level they are comfortable with for this very special day

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 14, 2015 11:33 pm  #30

stoertebeker wrote:

ukaunz wrote:

It's the morning of the big day. I hope Martin Freeman has a good speech prepared 

Well, according to Amanda's tweets he will not be there.

Yeah, I had read somewhere on the internet that Martin Freeman was going to be his best man, but I actually thought that was unlikely. BC probably has closer friends from before his acting career from which to choose a best man. I was just making a bit of a reference to TSOT :-)

Anyway, I'm guessing that if Benedict and Sophie want to share anything of their special day with their fans, they will release their own photos to the media.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 15, 2015 12:01 am  #31

Mazel tov to the happy couple! A small Valentine's Day wedding sounds very sweet and romantic to me--and ensures they'll never forget their anniversary.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 15, 2015 1:29 am  #32

A random comment: my brain has been bugging me with the thought that Sophie Hunter looks like someone else, and I just worked it out. She reminds me of Vera Farmiga!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 15, 2015 7:58 am  #33

I have to say, it was obvious that the story about Martin being best man was rubbish; you can tell from Amanda's tweets that they are not close to Ben at all; even when she made it known that the story was untrue, she didn't wish any happiness or congrats to the couple - just pointed out that the idea of MF being his best man was making her laugh!
Anyway, that aside, I wish them, as I'd wish all newlyweds, a long and happy life together.

Last edited by Tinks (February 15, 2015 8:00 am)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 15, 2015 8:26 am  #34

Tinks wrote:

I have to say, it was obvious that the story about Martin being best man was rubbish; you can tell from Amanda's tweets that they are not close to Ben at all; even when she made it known that the story was untrue, she didn't wish any happiness or congrats to the couple - just pointed out that the idea of MF being his best man was making her laugh!
Anyway, that aside, I wish them, as I'd wish all newlyweds, a long and happy life together.

I'm surprised she didn't at least congratulate them, after all, they have met, and Martin and Ben have filmed together for some years. Anyhow, I hope they are as happy as Dan and I have been and we had no family at all when we got married because Dan is Jewish and most of his family, long before he was born, were killed in the Holocaust and I'm a German Catholic. Our union was not popular until we had kids. Also we had only known each other for a few weeks when we wed. Time means nothing if you meet your soul mate.

February 15, 2015 8:39 am  #35

JenHart, what a beautiful story yours is - I don't mean to sound silly but it gave my heart a lift; that you and your man found and fell in love with each other (I hope you don't mind my saying that).

I was going to say more about Amanda with regard to Ben, but it's probably not wise to do so.
Back to the Best Man stuff though, I hope Adam was able to be there for him

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

February 15, 2015 8:51 am  #36

Tinks wrote:

JenHart, what a beautiful story yours is - I don't mean to sound silly but it gave my heart a lift; that you and your man found and fell in love with each other (I hope you don't mind my saying that).

)

Actually we met when I fell on him on some public transport and I thought that he was gorgeous And no I don't mind you saying the above. Thank you. If Ben and Sophie are as happy as we have been they will be blessed indeed and I don't see why they shouldn't be as the way they look at each other is very loving.

February 15, 2015 8:53 am  #37

The thing about Martin being a close friend with Benedict is a fantasy born from a projection of the series into real life, but I am a bit surprised that newspapers bought this fiction as well. I remember Martin telling clearly in one of the interviews that they only reunite for doing Sherlock and don't really meet outside the set. In fact, we have never seen them together in any social occasion, if I remember correctly. Well, Benedict went to see Martin's Richard III, but that's another matter.

February 15, 2015 8:58 am  #38

JenHart wrote:

Tinks wrote:

)

Actually we met when I fell on him on some public transport and I thought that he was gorgeous And no I don't mind you saying the above. Thank you. If Ben and Sophie are as happy as we have been they will be blessed indeed and I don't see why they shouldn't be as the way they look at each other is very loving.

That's really lovely

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

February 15, 2015 9:08 am  #39

miriel68 wrote:

The thing about Martin being a close friend with Benedict is a fantasy born from a projection of the series into real life, but I am a bit surprised that newspapers bought this fiction as well. I remember Martin telling clearly in one of the interviews that they only reunite for doing Sherlock and don't really meet outside the set. In fact, we have never seen them together in any social occasion, if I remember correctly. Well, Benedict went to see Martin's Richard III, but that's another matter.

Even without knowing them personally, I think it's clear that they are two completely different people with little, or nothing, in common...the kind whose paths would never usually cross.
I've seen a comment elsewhere from someone saying that they don't actually get on, and that Martin doesn't like Ben. I don't know about that, but I can well believe that Ben's background is the complete opposite of all that Martin knows and believes in; they're like chalk and cheese.
Which I guess makes the chemistry they pull off on screen all the more awe inspiring.
Anyway, back on topic - even though I'm not a Hiddles fan, I have to say he looks really dashing in his wedding outfit

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

February 15, 2015 9:33 am  #40

JenHart wrote:

Tinks wrote:

I'm surprised she didn't at least congratulate them, after all, they have met, and Martin and Ben have filmed together for some years.

Just because Amanda didn't do it via twitter (and why should she, since Ben isn't even on it), it doesn't necessarily mean that she and Martin didn't congratulate them. They may not be close friends, but they'll have each other's contact info.

Last edited by Kerkerian (February 15, 2015 9:33 am)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

Board footera