BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 14, 2015 4:05 am  #1

Benedict is a Married Man!

http://www.people.com/article/benedict-cumberbatch-sophie-hunter-wedding-valentines-day

"How romantic! [url=http://www.people.com/people/news/category/0,,personsTax:BenedictCumberbatch,00.html]Benedict Cumberbatch[/url] and Sophie Hunter are set to wed on Valentine's Day.

The couple will tie the knot in front of family and close friends Saturday in Britain, a source confirms to PEOPLE, before taking off for Los Angeles. British papers first broke the happy news.

Cumberbatch, 38, and Hunter, 36, announced their engagement in November in the U.K. Times. There's also a Cumberbaby on the way: the Sherlock and The Imitation Game actor and theater director are expecting their first child together later this year.

A newlywed Cumberbatch will appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Monday. 

February 14, 2015 4:51 am  #2

Re: Benedict is a Married Man!

I saw the news reports on this (I am talking about real news reports, not tabloid stuff). 

It's still the night before (as I write this), so I will wait until tomorrow morning, when I read the legit news articles about the actual nuptials to offer my offical congrats, but it looks to be true. 

And hopefully the media will give them the privacy that they desire and deserve. 

I always remember my wedding as one of the absolute highlights of my adult life and we had a bucket of fun with family and friends - I hope only the same for BC and SH.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 14, 2015 7:48 am  #3

It's the morning of the big day. I hope Martin Freeman has a good speech prepared 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 14, 2015 9:54 am  #4

Oooh, the big day. Hope they have a wonderful day! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 14, 2015 1:09 pm  #5

The Isle of Wight paper had an article this morning about the wedding and had an accompanying picture of the church and place where the reception is supposed to be held.  Very lovely and totally fits in with BC's past description of wanting a small private wedding (the church only has a capacity to hold 100 people according to the parish registry). 

It all looks very romantic!

I like the idea of Valentine's Day too! 

But I am a real romantic at heart, so this all makes me go "Awwwww!"

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 14, 2015 1:17 pm  #6

ukaunz wrote:

It's the morning of the big day. I hope Martin Freeman has a good speech prepared 

Well, according to Amanda's tweets he will not be there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

February 14, 2015 1:20 pm  #7

Thanks for the hint, Ah-chie, i just checked it out online and that is one wonderful church!! I personally ain't the biggest romantic in the world so the Valentine's Day thing isn't that appealing to me but that doesn't matter in the slightest way, i hope they have a wonderful day and of course a good life together 

February 14, 2015 5:29 pm  #8

Yay!  

I have to admit on Valentines Day is a bit too corny for my taste, but it's not my wedding, so...

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 14, 2015 5:32 pm  #9

Oooh, so the rumour was true. Congratulations! 

Wonderful place for a ceremony, by the way. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 14, 2015 5:35 pm  #10

Big congratulations to Ben and Sophie! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

February 14, 2015 5:42 pm  #11

According to the local IOW paper and People Magazine SH and BC are now married!  Congrats to them on their happy day. 

I love the idea of a wedding on Valentine's Day.  Dan and I got married on our country's national holiday and now every time I mark our anniversary I feel like the whole country is celebrating too!  And we get fireworks every year as well!!

It was reported that there were about 40 guests in attendance (which makes it bigger than my own wedding by about only 10 people) so I would definitely say that Ben got the small, private affair that he talked about for sure.

From the pictures I saw in the local paper online the place looks absolutely charming and an ideal romantic setting to hold their nuptials.

Best wishes to the happy couple in the future!

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (February 14, 2015 5:46 pm)

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 14, 2015 6:02 pm  #12

Ah-chie wrote:

Dan and I got married on our country's national holiday and now every time I mark our anniversary I feel like the whole country is celebrating too!  And we get fireworks every year as well!!

-Val

haha, but that's cool, Val. So if I ever want to get married, I will do it on 3. October, so I get fireworks, too. 

EDIT: one article says Andrew Scott was among the guests. But I'm not sure, I mean 40 guests, it sound more like family and really close friends, but I don't know how close Andrew and Ben are.

Last edited by Ivy (February 14, 2015 6:13 pm)

----------

February 14, 2015 6:25 pm  #13

BIG congratulations to both of them!

I am so thrilled for those two, they look so in love! And what a gorgeous setting they chose!!

I hope they had some privacy at least... I would be sad to see pap pics all over of the wedding. 

*raises a toast of french pink sparkling lemonade in a fancy glass*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 14, 2015 6:33 pm  #14

Luckily, so far I haven't seen any pics on Tumblr. I hope they get to celebrate in peace and have this weekend all to themselves.

Team Hudders!

February 14, 2015 6:49 pm  #15

Just saw pics of their car, I think that's OK

So excited to see them married next week at the Oscars.

Last edited by Ivy (February 14, 2015 7:36 pm)

----------

February 14, 2015 7:27 pm  #16

There will be no pictures from the wedding, because none were taken.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11413221/Benedict-Cumberbatch-and-Sophie-Hunter-marry-on-Valentines-Day.html

Miss Hunter arrived at 3.20pm and was ushered into the church surrounded by security holding umbrellas, with her brown hair neatly tied up underneath her white veil.Then, 40 minutes later, three loud cheers erupted from the church as the ceremony drew to a close, and at 4.15pm the couple left in a classic Jaguar.The couple decided not to pose for pictures after the service, but went straight to the reception.

Fans had flocked to the island to catch a glimpse of the ceremony, but many were left disappointed. As the couple left the church in a classic grey Jaguar, security officers parked a large white van in the way of the crowd of spectators.This blocked the view of fans, many of whom had stood out in the rain for three hours in the hope of waving to the actor and his new wife.Angela Wenden, a National Trust caretaker for walked from her home in nearby Brighstone to watch, said: "We waited in the rain for three hours and it's disappointing."We all wanted to wish him the best. Perhaps they didn't come because it was raining."

February 14, 2015 7:32 pm  #17

If people chose to go to a private ceremony and stand in the rain for hours, it is up to them. I am quite glad that nobody took pictures or can spread gossip about who did what and what the clothes looked liked and who was invited. If they wish to keep this private and have their wedding pics just for themselves, I am fine with that. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 14, 2015 7:38 pm  #18

The car picture that was taken by a local person was the one that appeared in the IOW newspaper.  Apparently it was a vintage Mark VIII Jaguar from the late 1950's (not that I know anything about cars but I looked it up after a commenter said it was this type and indeed it definitely is). 

The newspaper now has a couple of more photos (taken from a long distance) by the local reporter but that's all I have seen (I don't go on tumblr).  So if that's it then, it does look like they did have the secure, private wedding that they wanted.

Kudos to them!

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 14, 2015 7:39 pm  #19

I agree, Susi. It's not his duty to wave to people on his wedding day. They chose it to be quiet and secluded for a reason. It's not like they married in Westminster Abbey.

----------

February 14, 2015 7:42 pm  #20

To be honest, I think it showed a bit lack of respect to stand there outside the church. This isn't a red carpet event or Setlock, this isn't Ben at work. This is his personal life, and he has made it clear - in his wonderfully gentleman way - that he wants to keep his wedding, his child and his relationship with Sophie private. Fans should respect that. Show up at premieres and sets to scream and wave, but leave the man alone in his personal life.

Team Hudders!

Board footera