BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2015 5:23 pm  #21

Re: Times Talks, Feb. 16, 2015

Please could you tell me what ansy means as it's not in my English-German dictionary and I'm trying to read this and feed a baby at the same time. Thanks.

February 17, 2015 5:26 pm  #22

"Antsy"  (would have helped if I hadn't left a letter out - sorry!) means fidgety - restless and uneasy.

Hope this helps.

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (February 17, 2015 5:28 pm)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 17, 2015 5:39 pm  #23

Ah-chie wrote:

"Antsy"  (would have helped if I hadn't left a letter out - sorry!) means fidgety - restless and uneasy.

Hope this helps.

-Val

Oh thank you. Off line now as numerous offspring waiting to be fed. There are 11 of them but the oldest is away.

February 17, 2015 5:47 pm  #24

Sorry to have to add more but I just remembered another part that was really quite lovely. 

The conversation was about both Ben and Keira's education and schooling and the mod knew he had spent some in a Buddhist monastery teaching.  I think Ben loves talking about this period of his life.  He went into a lot of detail about the experience and that led to the mod asking if he looked to Buddhist beliefs for inspiration and he answered yes.  He said he gets a lot from that philosophy and it helps him a great deal in his acting and life.  I wish I could remember more specifics of what he said.  He explained a bit how it helps him focus and find a centre point in things.  He talked about it almost in a poetic way.  He is such a deep thinker.

-Val 

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 17, 2015 5:53 pm  #25

I just started to watch his. I like his socks and it's weird to see Keira baby bump, she's always so thin everywhere, looks good though.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 17, 2015 5:56 pm  #26

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

February 17, 2015 6:12 pm  #27

Thank you so much for the detailed recap, Val, and for the link, Lola Red! I can't watch now, but I definitely will try later.

(If it's not at Lola Red's link, they may have it later here, as they seem to be collecting all their interviews with the Oscar contenders there.)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 17, 2015 6:29 pm  #28

Not meant as a negative thing, but Ben loves to talk. It was kind of cute when he says to Keira "You can talk first", and before she has the time to even open her mouth he continues with a long answer to the question himself. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 17, 2015 6:30 pm  #29

I just clicked on the link that you posted in your opening post, you get automatically to the video to watch it.

I can't stop looking at his wedding ring. 

Last edited by Ivy (February 17, 2015 6:37 pm)

----------

February 17, 2015 6:35 pm  #30

Oh, Val, you and your detailed recaps!    But thank you, thank you!    (from someone who doesn't always catch interviews, much less hear everything being said).  Love his demeanor, too (although talky!  ;D)… they both seem great and interestingly intelligent… love the bit about being influenced by that period with Buddhism too… recall him saying once as well about how calmly 'centering' it is, and sometimes tries to take a moment to meditate in between catching flights or what not, and definitely agree with trying to keep up the practice.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 17, 2015 6:58 pm  #31

Thanks Russell. I was really worried (maybe I still am) that I had mis-remembered so much (not having an opportunity to re-watch it before doing my "recap" the morning after viewing it once).  I am re-watching it now and I seem to have mis-remembered the exact level of harumph! that Ben did when someone laughed when he said Keira would do really well at school if she went back (it was far less intense than I remembered it) but overall I think I have done OK (so far) so it isn't too bad. 

I considered deleting my recap after I saw that the link was up again, but if there are some folks like you who get something out of it then I will leave it. 

But watching the actual interview is by far the best way to view it in its wonderful context.  Ben is a very "visual" person when he speaks and his demeanour is a delight to watch.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 17, 2015 7:04 pm  #32

I liked that he actually turned down the request to do his imitations. I felt that him saying "I can say thank you for a compliment without doing the imitation" (or something like that) was his way of acknowledging that perhaps he had done that a bit too often himself.

Edit: I thought I couldn't be surprised anymore, but I was shocked by what the paparazzis put Keira through. I never thought it was that extreme. That is disgusting.

Last edited by Vhanja (February 17, 2015 7:15 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 17, 2015 7:24 pm  #33

The toilet thing at the end was too funny. Poor guy. I would never drink too much when I know a have an interview for over a hour.

----------

February 17, 2015 8:07 pm  #34

Ivy wrote:

The toilet thing at the end was too funny. Poor guy. I would never drink too much when I know a have an interview for over a hour.

I think it might be a nervous thing. People think that actors don't get nerves because they are actors but I was in movies as a kid and I know they do. I mean the drinking is a nervous thing. Personally I'm never nervous about doing things in public but I know folk who are.

February 17, 2015 9:00 pm  #35

Ah-chie, thank you for this long and detailed description of an interview, it was very interesting and quite informative. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 17, 2015 11:29 pm  #36

Thanks nakahara.  My pleasure.  As it turns out I didn't do too bad remembering it.  I am glad however that the video is up so more people can enjoy the entire interview.  It's a keeper!

While I have the time and space I should mention about some of the great little things that I noticed when viewing it a second time...

Loved his colourful socks!  They are so delightful.  And I loved Keira's dress.

He really couldn't stop fiddling with his wedding band.  I think someone else said it but I will repeat it - that is definitely something a newlywed does!  Most people get used to it eventually (but my hubsand never did - he not only fiddles with things like that but he takes them off and leaves them lying around because they bother him so much - result... he has never really worn his band so he won't lose it). 

Sometimes you could just tell he was trying so hard to keep focused.  If it wasn't the jetlag it was of course near the end the loo stuff.  The poor guy just couldn't catch a break! 

I love how fierce he is about being loyal and protective of his friends.  It must be wonderful to be amongst his circle of friends. 

I did notice the second viewing that after he was a bit testy with the mod about the impersonations he leaned over just before the next clip was going to be shown and said quietly "Sorry about that" or something to that effect.  That was nice. 

Anyway it was a great event to watch.  I will have to watch it again just to enjoy it all over again.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 17, 2015 11:33 pm  #37

You did a great job Ah-chie, that is a very good summary of the interview 

Ah-chie wrote:

I did notice the second viewing that after he was a bit testy with the mod about the impersonations he leaned over just before the next clip was going to be shown and said quietly "Sorry about that" or something to that effect.  That was nice. 

Yes I noticed that too. He must get so sick of the repetitive requests and questions, I think he did very well to remain such a gentleman about it. He's so sweet.

Last edited by ukaunz (February 18, 2015 12:28 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 18, 2015 12:22 am  #38

I just watched the bits I missed. Both Ben and Keira were so interesting, and very thoughtful about their answers, with such humour and intelligence.

Ben was just wonderful. God I love him! I could listen to him all day 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 18, 2015 12:31 am  #39

Russell wrote:

… love the bit about being influenced by that period with Buddhism too… recall him saying once as well about how calmly 'centering' it is, and sometimes tries to take a moment to meditate in between catching flights or what not, and definitely agree with trying to keep up the practice.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had to meditate and centre himself on the way out of the interview to the bathroom! How embarrassing for him! Makes me love him more though 

Last edited by ukaunz (February 18, 2015 12:32 am)

February 18, 2015 1:23 am  #40

I don’t believe centring himself was on the very forefront his mind when he left the interview
I don’t quite understand why the interviewer did not just give him a short time out and let Keira answer a few questions in the meantime, I’ve seen that done before when there was more than one interview partner. He was still quite good natured about it though. But yes, for me this goes right in with “thank you very good much”, which, coincidently, was followed by “I’ll see you in the loo”.

Overall, though, again very thoughtful answers. Not too much new stuff, but it was a pleasure to listen to them talk.

Keira keeps amazing me btw. I always knew she was beautiful, talented and successful (and being a bit narrow minded and hoping that virtues are relatively evenly spread over the whole population I thought that that was pretty much it) but through the recent interviews I have realized that she is also very smart, funny and humble. Not to forget she must have always had a good head on her shoulders to emerge from such early success (I had no idea she was that young in Pirates of the Caribbean) and all its side effects (just appalling what the paparazzi did to her) as a seemingly sane, well put-together person.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

Board footera