BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2015 10:32 am  #1

Redbeard Discussion

There has been a lot of discussion about the meaning behind it. Yet I don’t find it hard to understand, as it is in fact really quite simple.

Redbeard is a typical last name given to Pirates (In many tales there has been Captains who are named Redbeard). In ASIB, Mycroft says that Sherlock had “wanted to be a pirate” when he was a child.

During the mind palace sequence in HLV, we see Sherlock fantasizing about his childhood dog whose name is Redbeard. He obviously had loved that dog as you see him rushing into his arms. Sherlock love for pirates is probably why the dog got that name.

The point of Redbeard is that it is a piece of Sherlock childhood that brings out the sentimental side in him. Yet Sherlock has always been anything but sentimental and mushy. Which is why Sherlock got very upset when Mycroft mentioned it by saying “I’m not a child.”

NOOR

February 9, 2015 10:41 am  #2

Re: Redbeard Discussion

There has been a lot of discussion about the meaning behind what? Meaning behind Redbeard? As you mention yourself, that was explained (or rather shown) in HLV.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 9, 2015 10:46 am  #3

Re: Redbeard Discussion

We have already various threads on this topic, this one being the most comprehensive:

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=4224

Please post your opening post in that one. Afterwards I am going to delete this one. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 9, 2015 10:48 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera