BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 7, 2015 12:12 am  #1

Wild Target

Anyone else seen this? Martin is kinda creepy with his teeth (I'm guessing he had them whitened for the role or something) but he's fantastic! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dean - "I'm not happy about it. But I got to move on. So I'm gonna keep doing what we do...while I still can. And I'd like you to be there with me."

Sam - "I'm your brother, Dean, if you ever need to talk about anything with anybody, you got someone right here next to you."

February 8, 2015 11:26 pm  #2

Re: Wild Target

kittykat wrote:

Anyone else seen this? Martin is kinda creepy with his teeth (I'm guessing he had them whitened for the role or something) but he's fantastic! 

Yes!  And yes.     A good while back, when I was still trying to catch up on a few old things the boys were in (including the also less-known 'Nativity', also amusingly different with Martin and goofy).  Enjoyed all the main actors, and despite not being your typical film, just crazy enough to be highly amusingly entertaining.  Especially Nighy and Martin and his creepiness and whitened teeth.  And awesome little 'put-upon' responses to his lackey.  My favorite - "Who did this painting?" "Rembrandt" "Tell me his address" "He's dead." "Since when??"   
I know there's some others here familiar too… it was mentioned a long time ago on a thread when it was played on tv.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 26, 2015 7:25 pm  #3

My impression is that he was actually wearing fake teeth.  They did a good job of it, so that if I'd never seen Martin Freeman in anything else, I wouldn't have thought they were particularly odd.  But I believe they're bigger than his own teeth, perhaps intended to make him look "predatory."  The first few times I watched this movie, I had a bit of trouble looking directly at him -- like "what is wrong with this picture?"

But yes, he's wonderful in this role.  Looks like he was having a lot of fun with it!

And I agree, Russell, Nativity is also a lot of fun, especially with the tiny bit of singing and dancing that Mr. Freeman does.

May 26, 2015 7:46 pm  #4

I haven't actually watched it, but I just looked at some pictures and I see the difference in his teeth and then looked at a photo of him from a photoshoot and the teeth are different.  
Does he sound any different? I know in The Fifth Estate, Benedict sometimes had a lisp from his fake teeth.

Clueing for looks.

May 26, 2015 10:55 pm  #5

Well, he's not playing John Watson, that's for sure!  So yes, this character's speech is different, but that may or may not have anything to do with those teeth -- same goes for Mr. Cumberbatch, since I believe he sometimes has a slight lisp in real life.

May 26, 2015 11:14 pm  #6

Freeman's character speaks at about 1:18 in this fan's "best of" video -- note that you might want to stop after that, because there are some spoilery bits later on (especially toward the end).

May 27, 2015 1:03 am  #7

Yes, he does speak differently.  It's a different accent, but no lisp.  
I know Benedict sometimes has a bit of one is real life, but that's not nearly as much as in The Fifth Estate, and you can tell it's from the prosthetic.

Clueing for looks.

May 27, 2015 4:12 am  #8

Aw, look who's back!      And yeah, definitely not Watson!  Got a kick out of seeing him comedically 'evil', and well done.

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 19, 2017 8:51 pm  #9

Just watched this movie tonight. I didn't find the movie particularly good (although it had it's moments), but I watched it for Bill Nighy, Rubert Grint and of course Martin. Those three alone made the movie worth watching, I loved their characters.

Martin was incredibly creepy with his fake teeth and cold eyes. (And... probably a bit not good, but... darn was he hot!)

I want to see more villain!Martin, he was awesome!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 19, 2017 8:55 pm  #10

Have you seen him in Fargo?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 19, 2017 8:57 pm  #11

Yes, I loved him in Fargo. Amazing acting.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 19, 2017 8:58 pm  #12

Yes, brilliant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

Board footera