BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 17, 2015 3:59 pm  #161

Re: Things that only make sense if Johnlock is subtext

Vhanja wrote:

It's not whether or not it can be explained as friendship or not that makes or breaks it for me. Most things can, it's just a matter of interpretation and perspective. My biggest question will always be - why keep adding ambiguity? Why keep chossing to use wordings, dialogue, scenes and angles that will only fuel the speculations instead of making choices that would lessen the ambiguity?

Why the ambiguity? Because Johnlock is endgame. Because TPTB enjoy seeing the fans go crazy over it. Because it leads to awesome fanfic, fanarts and discussion. Because it is an easy way for TPTB to poke fun at Martin and Ben. Because it will be the longest running gag in the history of television. Because it goes back to the cannon. Because it is more fun to keep it than to get rid of it. Because by now we see ambiguity where none was intended. Because it gets the fan base over two-year hiatuses. Because the fans want it. Because it is fun to let the fans go crazy over something that is not even there. And many more good and better reasons.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

February 17, 2015 5:49 pm  #162

Just when I re-watched HLV today I thought that Sherlock´s "I rather keep you guessing" might also apply to TPTB and their way of storytelling..^^

I have several thoughts about "Heartbreak".. first I think Moriarty doesn´t only refer to the most recent events, but to his whole life so far.. to all the sentiments he fears the most and tries to avoid/lock away at all costs. All the hurtful memories his mindpalace brought up on top of the actual physical pain and shock.. how Mycroft called him stupid little boy, how Mummy and Daddy have been very cross, his childhood dog they put down.. all this adds to the general downward spiral he´s in, which culminates in his break-down in Moriarty´s cell, when he absolutely hits rock bottom. So probably each of the words can´t be linked to just one event, but to all the times he ever suffered from them.. An emotional child like Sherlock must have suffered from pain and heartbreak quite a lot before he (not too successfully) tried to keep himself distant from all that. Life will break your heart, as they say, and all this passes before his eyes in the face of death, spelled out by his inner nemesis. 

Second, I do think that Mary´s betrayal of trust indeed breaks his heart.. he´s so sure she´ll never hurt him when he takes a step forward and calls her "Mrs. Watson", thus speaking to the woman he thought he knew and let into his inner circle of trusted friends. His "Mary?" after the shoot sounds soo shaken and vulnerable.. if it didn´t break his heart, it certainly broke mine ​.

February 19, 2015 5:39 am  #163

Zatoichi wrote:

Second, I do think that Mary´s betrayal of trust indeed breaks his heart.. he´s so sure she´ll never hurt him when he takes a step forward and calls her "Mrs. Watson", thus speaking to the woman he thought he knew and let into his inner circle of trusted friends. His "Mary?" after the shoot sounds soo shaken and vulnerable.. if it didn´t break his heart, it certainly broke mine ​.

I agree with you. Besides the fact that it broke my heart too, I mean. He seems to feel so profoundly betrayed. That is why I can't make myself believe he could forgive Mary honestly.

Well, now that I think about it: If he convinces himself of the surgery theory, the betrayal would hurt less, wouldn't it? It is a thought that just crossed my mind. What do you think? Could all the talking about Mary not wanting to kill him be some kind of self protection?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 19, 2015 7:19 am  #164

That is an interesting thought, Schmiezi, and it could be an explanation for the fact that we don't get to see Sherlock's process of "taking her case".

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 19, 2015 7:25 am  #165

I still think that the scenes we get to see do not justify this change of mind. He clearly is focussed on protecting John and possibly himself but I think this kind of self-protection would be very out of character for Sherlock. After all this is the woman who has sworn to kill him. I cannot believe he would go to this level of self-deception.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 21, 2016 1:23 am  #166

Vhanja wrote:

I think No 4 can be explained with Sherlock being - for all practical purposes - asexual, by choice. Simply not interested in any kind of romantic/sexual relationship with anyone, no matter gender.

I mean, I can see where you're going with that one, but to me it sounded like she was going to say something else but changed her mind.

And the only thing that changed was that John walked in.

I honestly think she was going to say "gay" or even "in love with John" but decided against it when John walked in, because neither of them wanted to spoil their wedding.

I may be totally spitballing here, but that's the impression I got.

~proud member of OSAJ~

What is Lestrade's division?

March 21, 2016 7:16 am  #167

No, number 4 means Janine didn't really know how to put it...but she knows Sherlock isn't interested in her, maybe not in women in general and maybe nobody at all...that's how it seemed to me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 2, 2016 10:28 pm  #168

Hope I'm not too late and bumping a dead thread, but I've had these little devil's advocate thoughts in my head for a while. Get ready for a lot of text! ;)

Now personally, I'm a Johnlocker too, but for almost every point raised in its defense, I can also see the other side of the coin. Almost anything that can be answered "because (romantic) love" can also be answered "because (non-romantic) love". And I'm not militant about any particular interpretations, so I feel capable of offering an opposing viewpoint without any bias.

---

I'll start with the Vitruvian Man picture, because I think this is an easy one. It shows the 'ideal proportions' of the male body. In this scene, Sherlock is seeking help finding the exact (ideal) alcohol intake for John. That would mean knowing John's body proportions. It's a bizarre little crafts project, no matter how you read it, but it could've simply been something for the viewer to giggle about. Sherlock is, after all, spectacularly ignorant about some things. To him, maybe he didn't see anything bizarre about it at all-- which is exactly why it's funny to see him present it so casually to Molly.

---

Oh what a night... Sherlock's desperately sad look at the end of TSoT. His best friend really did move on without him. He thought he could just come back to London and slot right back into life like nothing changed. But everything changed. He's thinking about all the things Hudders says, that marriage changes people and old friends inevitably drift away. John IS his closest friend, after all, of the scant few friends he even has. At this point in Sherlock's arc he's actually started opening up, allowed himself to "get involved" and have sentiment, to become something he'd never thought possible: "be someone's best friend". And now he's losing it all. That's still incredibly painful, even without being in love.

---

Irene Adler. Battersea. This one's the toughtest nut to crack from a non-Johnlock perspective. The dialog between John and Irene is incredibly powerful, and absolutely loaded with possible meanings on all sides. It is at once frustratingly vague, and yet, so on-the-nose with its delivery. A fantastic bit of writing, IMO. There is a BIG point being made here, but the question is, what is it? Some argue Adlock, some argue Johnlock. But let's try to find an alternative to both of these.

Sherlock secretly follows John, and discovers Irene is still alive. This profoundly affects him, because it means Irene outplayed him in a way not even Moriarty would in TRF. His interest in Irene has often been described by the writers as an adoration/fascination of her intellect. So why doesn't he step out and announce himself?... Well, if we're not Johnlocking and we're not Adlocking, why would he? He doesn't need to step out there, to face her, because it was the game that interested him. Not her. Stepping out there would be pointless, she's not important in that way. But staying hidden and overhearing two people having this conversation about him and how captivating he apparently is to both of them is far more interesting. That is, until his presence is rumbled by the text alert sound. He bails, not wanting to engage either of them in discussion, perhaps still reeling from the whole 'being outplayed' thing, which occupies his brain all the way back to 221b.

---

To the very best of times. Someone else posted already what I would say about this one: that Sherlock probably has so, so many things to say in that moment on the tarmac. So many "thank you for"s and "sorry that I"s that were never spoken over their long companionship. And ultimately, he didn't want John to remember this moment with sorrow, and nor did he want to remember John that way. So he lied about knowing his 6-months fate, and instead opted to make a silly quip and make him smile and laugh. Sherlock's look of sadness, then, is a knowing one; he knows he's going on a suicide mission, but John has been spared that horrible reality. John can laugh more freely here... maybe they'll see eachother again, somehow, sometime. Hope springs eternal. Sherlock, on the other hand, is heartwrenchingly melancholy. Being 'in' love is absolutely not a requirement of the sadness present in this scene.

---

(Edit: Oh! I've thought of another one.)

John dreaming of Sherlock while he sleeps next to his wife. He's dreaming of the war, more specifically. Mycroft said it best: he's not haunted by the war, he misses it. And then he met Sherlock, who provided that danger and adventure he needed in life. Sherlock represents those things to John now, and he misses it. That's why this dream scene so closely parallels the one at the beginning of ASiP.

---

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'll gladly make an effort of countering other moments people generally feel are strong for Johnlock.

And to counter one of my own arguments above, I must say I find the Irene one the most difficult to read this way. Would 'being intellectually outplayed' by Irene faking her death really affect him so much that we get that dramatic, up-close dazed face as he walks down Baker Street? Really? Moriarty never had such an effect on him. To me, this reaction speaks of something much more profound or personal. To me, it was definitely something one or both of them said about him, or about themselves, or about how they felt, that really rocked his boat. And without Johnlock or Adlock, I'm at a loss at what that could be.

Phew. That was hard, but fun.

Last edited by GimmeCat (June 2, 2016 10:43 pm)

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

June 3, 2016 4:17 am  #169

Welcome to the forum, cat!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 3, 2016 7:49 am  #170

Thank you! :D I've been dying to have a place to discuss all this, lol.

June 3, 2016 9:57 am  #171

Great points, GimmeCat.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 3, 2016 3:45 pm  #172

According to the team it was Adlock.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 3, 2016 3:49 pm  #173

And according to your perception?

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

June 3, 2016 3:58 pm  #174

I don't see it that way at all...
Except for the very last shot of Sherlock, when he stops at putting the phone in the drawer, gazes out at the rain and says 'The Woman'.
Hard to explain that away...

June 3, 2016 4:00 pm  #175

Interesting how those tiny little details are noticed as soon as the counterpart is a woman albeit just appearing one episode.

June 3, 2016 4:06 pm  #176

Well when Sherlock refers to John as The Man, I'll listen!

June 3, 2016 4:07 pm  #177

"It's always you" is far more telling than a simple "The Man" if you ask me.  

Last edited by SusiGo (June 3, 2016 4:08 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 3, 2016 5:05 pm  #178

Well, I don't know ... John is the main person in his life, somebody he loves deeply, his primary relationship, friend and partner.  Whereas Irene is somebody he's met a couple of times.  It makes sense for "it's always you" to be about John, especially around the time that he's making a vow to John.  

I think this thread might have passed me by.  Must catch up!

June 3, 2016 5:06 pm  #179

Great points, GimmeCat. I agree with just about all of them. I have to say, that Irene/John-dialogue is the hardest one for me to explain away as well. She says in clear words that they are both in love with Sherlock, and insist that John and Sherlock are a couple - and for the first time John "I'm not gay" Watson doesn't reply or argue back. If I remember correctly he actually does a subtle head tilt that seem to indicate that he got her point or is at least considering it (How I love Martin's acting!)

Also, I have a slightly different view on John dreaming about Sherlock. It doesn't have to be Johnlock-y, but I always saw that dream as Sherlock saving John from his nightmares about the war. He sleeps restlessly, having these horrible nightmares about the war (as in ASiP9, and then he hears Sherlock's soothing voice in his head, and he calms down. 

Last edited by Vhanja (June 3, 2016 5:06 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 3, 2016 5:11 pm  #180

Vhanja wrote:

Also, I have a slightly different view on John dreaming about Sherlock. It doesn't have to be Johnlock-y, but I always saw that dream as Sherlock saving John from his nightmares about the war. He sleeps restlessly, having these horrible nightmares about the war (as in ASiP9, and then he hears Sherlock's soothing voice in his head, and he calms down. 

Aww. Johnlocky or not, that is adorable.

Board footera