BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 15, 2015 6:32 pm  #121

Re: Things that only make sense if Johnlock is subtext

Well, but then it is a highly selective way of zoning out. We have the quote: "He would outlive God trying to have the last word." But apparently not where his relationship to John is concerned. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 15, 2015 6:34 pm  #122

But the interesting thing is that Mrs Hudson has known Sherlock for quite some time and readily assumes that they will share a bed. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 15, 2015 6:34 pm  #123

SusiGo wrote:

Well, but then it is a highly selective way of zoning out. We have the quote: "He would outlive God trying to have the last word." But apparently not where his relationship to John is concerned. 

And not when it comes to Irene's texts.

But, yes, I do think his zoning out is quite selective, always have been. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 15, 2015 6:35 pm  #124

Sherlock for the most part isn't into talking about relationships or "chatting" as he puts it - re: scene on the park bench in TSoT.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 15, 2015 6:35 pm  #125

SusiGo wrote:

But the interesting thing is that Mrs Hudson has known Sherlock for quite some time and readily assumes that they will share a bed. 

She also says to John that she doesn't know if Sherlock has ever had any kind of relationship with anyone. So she doesn't seem to know Sherlock better than John in that regard.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 15, 2015 7:25 pm  #126

Yes, my take on Mrs. Hudson´s comment has always been that she is a true romantic at heart, wants for Sherlock to have a nice partner no matter what sex and obviously finds it absolutely normal for everyone to share bed and board with someone they´ve just met.. the story of her own love-life we get to know later seems to support that she herself is such a daring and passionate person . So she likes the thought of it, and also the thought of keeping up with Mrs. Turner and her "married ones".. but as she later admits she has no clue what´s going on in Sherlock´s "funny old head", and surely never would have imagined anyone could choose to live the life of a monk married to his work out of free will. So she just gets their arrangement absolutely wrong from the first day on, and later just keeps hanging on to the thought in spite of all the evidences against it because she´s in love with the idea and hopes she´d see more of them that way.. the last part being Una´s very own headcanon, and a very sweet one, too, imo.. 

Last edited by Zatoichi (February 15, 2015 7:27 pm)

February 15, 2015 7:31 pm  #127

Still, what I pointed out was not Mrs. Hudson´s headcanons but Sherlock´s own arrangements for the flat. He was the one who arranged the flat. He took great effort to lure John in, to the point of being incredibly polite and inviting to him (two things he quickly dropped when they were already living together). All this indicates that he took quite a consideration to his new living arrangements (and certainly doen´t indicate apathy or disinterest or any zooming out on his side). And yet he absolutely ignored the fact that the flat as it was offered to them at first only includes one bedroom? ...strange.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 15, 2015 7:44 pm  #128

Yes, I see what you mean, nakahara. 

February 15, 2015 7:55 pm  #129

It is my understanding that the flat always included an upstairs bedroom.  That's why Sherlock was looking for someone to share it with him.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 15, 2015 7:57 pm  #130

For me the second bedroom being upstairs never indicated that it didn´t belong to the flat as it had been offered.. here such layouts are quite common.

February 15, 2015 8:09 pm  #131

Ah-chie wrote:

It is my understanding that the flat always included an upstairs bedroom.  That's why Sherlock was looking for someone to share it with him.

-Val

Yes, exactly.. as I see it Sherlock already rented the flat before he got to know John.. it looks like he´s been already living there for some time, judging from the mess he already made, the experiments on the kitchen table and so on. 

So if I get you correctly, you suggest that Sherlock rented the flat with only one bedroom, with the intent to only let a possible love-interest move in and share this bedroom from the first day on? You never know, but to me that seems quite off for a man who regards love as a chemical defect found in the losing side and pronounces "friend" like a swear-word.. alone protects me, don´t get involved, I´m married to my work and all the principles he lives by..

I think he immediately sees that he can trust John, that he´s an excellent fellow (as Steven Moffat put it), a loner like himself, who´s brave and intelligent and a little reckless (as you have to be as an army doctor).. so he decides this is exactly the flatmate he was looking for and tries pretty carefully not to put him off at first (which stops when he realizes he got him hooked ^^).

Last edited by Zatoichi (February 15, 2015 8:10 pm)

February 15, 2015 8:14 pm  #132

Going by what is in the actual show John's bedroom doesn't even include an accompanying bathroom (although this isn't ever said there is hard evidence to suggest this). He has been shown using the downstairs bathroom near the kitchen to shower and keeps all his gear in there.

There is no way that the upstairs bedroom isn't included in 221B Bakers Street.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 15, 2015 8:16 pm  #133

Zatoichi wrote:

So if I get you correctly, you suggest that Sherlock rented the flat with only one bedroom, with the intent to only let a possible love-interest move in and share this bedroom from the first day on? You never know, but to me that seems quite off for a man who regards love as a chemical defect found in the losing side and pronounces "friend" like a swear-word.. alone protects me, don´t get involved, I´m married to my work and all the principles he lives by..

I think he immediately sees that he can trust John, that he´s an excellent fellow (as Steven Moffat put it), a loner like himself, who´s brave and intelligent and a little reckless (as you have to be as an army doctor).. so he decides this is exactly the flatmate he was looking for and tries pretty carefully not to put him off at first (which stops when he realizes he got him hooked ^^).

Did you see me suggesting anything like this above?
I explicitly said that the thing puzzles me. 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 15, 2015 8:34 pm  #134

From Mrs. Hudson sentence: "We have another bedroom above in case you need one." I gather that: 

yes, the second bedroom is the part of the flat

but Sherlock didn´t informed his landlady that John would be needing that, allthrough he personally picked John up in front of the house and lead him inside and showed him the rooms

Such an observant man, careful to details - and such oversight?

February 15, 2015 8:39 pm  #135

I always thought it meant, "There is a second room upstairs (= information for John who doesn't know). You can use it as a bedroom if you need one, or turn it into a lab or whatever."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 15, 2015 8:39 pm  #136

Yes, that was mainly me searching for explanations why Sherlock would have thought the flat to only have one bedroom and still rent it with the intent to share it with someone.. didn´t want to put words into your mouth! 
For me with the premise that maisonettes are pretty common it has nothing puzzling at all.

Last edited by Zatoichi (February 15, 2015 8:50 pm)

February 15, 2015 8:47 pm  #137

I imagine the rent is for the whole flat (including the second bedroom), but Mrs Hudson thinks that they might be a gay couple sharing a bedroom, hence the comment, and the eagerness to show that she's happy with that.   And of course, it sets up the ongoing "joke".

February 15, 2015 8:48 pm  #138

nakahara wrote:

From Mrs. Hudson sentence: "We have another bedroom above in case you need one." I gather that: 

but Sherlock didn´t informed his landlady that John would be needing that, allthrough he personally picked John up in front of the house and lead him inside and showed him the rooms

But why should he explicitly tell her? He rented a flat with two bedrooms and told her he plans to share the rent.. then he comes in with a candidate and shows him around. Why should he feel compelled to tell her that, yes, he will indeed use that second bedroom? The way I see it the thought it could be any different didn´t even occur to him.. that was just Mrs. Hudsons idea, and he just didn´t bother to comment on that.

Last edited by Zatoichi (February 15, 2015 8:53 pm)

February 15, 2015 9:01 pm  #139

Zatoichi wrote:

nakahara wrote:

But why should he explicitly tell her? He rented a flat with two bedrooms and told her he plans to share the rent.. then he comes in with a candidate and shows him around. Why should he feel compelled to tell her that, yes, he will indeed use that second bedroom? The way I see it the thought it could be any different didn´t even occur to him.. that was just Mrs. Hudsons idea, and he just didn´t bother to comment on that.

Yes, this sounds logical. It was up to him and his flatmate to arrange the rooms the way they wanted.
Then it´s probably really just Mrs. Hudson being a busybody and happily presuming things. 

February 15, 2015 9:09 pm  #140

It was never puzzling to me either or oversight on Sherlock's part.  In fact it was quite clear - he rented a flat that included two bedrooms and was looking for a flatmate to share the rent.  I think it would be perfectly obvious to most that he would need that second bedroom for his flatmate.  Only Mrs. Hudson needed the obvious explained to her because she is... well, Mrs.Hudson and has a tendancy to be in her own little universe sometimes.

-Val  

-Benedict Cumberbatch

Board footera