BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2015 8:30 pm  #61

Re: Things that only make sense if Johnlock is subtext

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 8, 2015 8:35 pm  #62

Good point, Vhanja.

Please, can any non-Johnlocker explain those promo shots?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 8, 2015 9:40 pm  #63

Dunno... looking at the promo shots, I would say Sherlock has a huge crush on John, and John doesn't give a damn?
:-P

"It is what it is."

February 9, 2015 3:13 pm  #64

Evil John!

He just pretends not to notice Sherlock´s pining to torture him (and us by the process).

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 9, 2015 4:15 pm  #65

@Evil edits....!
OT maybe a little..but does seem odd the edited out -
John too Jealous scene
Magnussens suggestive 'never had a detective' scene
gay bar stag night scene
An overload of subtext?
Or a deliberate pulling back....?

February 9, 2015 9:09 pm  #66

Schmiezi wrote:

Good point, Vhanja.

Please, can any non-Johnlocker explain those promo shots?

Sure I can - they are promo shots of the two main principle characters in the show.  I don't see one whiff of romance or romantic possibilities for these two characters in any these shots.  You may - that's fine, if that is what you see, but to me it isn't what I see at all.  Each one could elicit a variety of impressions from a wide scope of perspectives.  None are unassailablly the clearly seen "truth" of the matter in reality. 

Some are done for humour effect, others are done with the stress on the dramatic tension.  I also personally see a definite friendship dynamic to a lot of the pictures which also encapsulate some dominant personality traits (serious, isolated, forthright, inquisitive, etc.) of each character. 

But most of all to me, when viewed collectively the promo pictures merely shout, in a number of ways, to as many people as possible "Watch this show!!" (which is, I suspect, is their real intended purpose).

-Val 

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 9, 2015 9:28 pm  #67

On the other hand, to me the promotional pictures look as if they were for a romantic movie, not a detective show... 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 9, 2015 9:37 pm  #68

Also:

John: "Fifty-seven of those texts - the ones I've heard"

To be honest, that isn't even romantic, is bothering on being unhealthy and obsessive. I've been with my boyfriend for ten years, and I would get VERY worried if he counted 57 texts I got from someone.

Last edited by Vhanja (February 9, 2015 9:40 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 9, 2015 9:48 pm  #69

Gosh, no need to stick your tongue out at me Nakahara.  That's why even with the encouraging invite, it proves my initial instincts were right about posting in this obviously pro-Johnlock thread.

I'll repeat what I said -

You may - that's fine, if that is what you see, but to me it isn't what I see at all.  Each one could elicit a variety of impressions from a wide scope of perspectives.  None are unassailablly the clearly seen "truth" of the matter in reality.

Carry on with your discussion and enjoy yourselves.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 10, 2015 8:21 am  #70

Let me for a second return to the tarmac scene which has found its way into the tv tropes guide, category: Aborted declarations of love. (Please note that this is not a Johnlock site but dedicated to all sorts of tropes from different media):

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AbortedDeclarationOfLove

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 10, 2015 8:27 am  #71

SusiGo wrote:

Let me for a second return to the tarmac scene which has found its way into the tv tropes guide, category: Aborted declarations of love. (Please note that this is not a Johnlock site but dedicated to all sorts of tropes from different media):

I think they categorised it very appropriately. For me the tarmac scene makes absolutely no sense without Johnlock reading of the action in it. Sherlock´s: "John, I always wanted to tell you something and I never had..." cannot be declaration of friendship (he already declared that many times), nor it can be anything else, IMHO.

February 10, 2015 8:30 am  #72

Absolutely. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 10, 2015 8:34 am  #73

May I mention after Val's last post - and I hope Schmiezi as a thread starter agrees- that this is not a Johnlock thread and that it's a pity if someone feels not welcomed without having properly participated in the discussion. I think we want those different angles very much here, as Schmiezi stated in the opening thread, and as I understood we are gathered here to exchange our views with or without the johnlock glasses on.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 10, 2015 8:38 am  #74

This is how I understood this thread, too. 

February 10, 2015 8:44 am  #75

Thank you mrshouse. You've got it absolutely right. <3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 11, 2015 6:41 pm  #76

I would really like to know why this was a part of Sherlock´s confidental case file on John if it was not a Johnlock thing:

February 11, 2015 6:44 pm  #77

Let me quote John: 

"Actually, I can’t think of a single thing to say. "

February 11, 2015 6:48 pm  #78

nakahara wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

I think they categorised it very appropriately. For me the tarmac scene makes absolutely no sense without Johnlock reading of the action in it. Sherlock´s: "John, I always wanted to tell you something and I never had..." cannot be declaration of friendship (he already declared that many times), nor it can be anything else, IMHO.

I thought Sherlock was finally going to tell John the passwords to the secret off shore Holmes bank accounts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 11, 2015 6:49 pm  #79

On the Caymans, yes! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 11, 2015 10:19 pm  #80

He is so rude towards other people. Why is he so polite and smiling while being around John?

Board footera