BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2015 8:01 pm  #41

Re: Sherlock and John - level of annoyance in the show

Yeah, I think that it's just worth it for John. Yes, Sherlock is annoying and grates on his nerves a bit too often. But what he gives John in regards of friendship, companionship and quality of life is so big that it is worth it. Is how I see it.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 17, 2015 8:41 pm  #42

You know, I think I will have to moderate myself in this thread. I am rewatching the show (again!) and have now come to HoB. And my view on this issue has changed a bit.

It seems to me that my main concern in my start-up post happens in the first series. Rewatching S1 and S2 (I'm leaving S3 out of this for now, as so many of the parameters change in that season) with this thread in mind, I noticed - to me, at least - a clear change from S1 to S2.

In S1, John felt almost like this bullied underdog, running after Sherlock being constantly put down, humiliated and annoyed. But that changed in S2. I mentioned that ASiP was the only episode where we saw the boys actually enjoying themselves together, but we see the same in SiB. Apart from the scenes related directly to Irene Adler (where Sherlock shuts John out), the two of them are quite awesome together.

HoB shows the same, as I see it. Yeah, there is the random rudeness from Sherlock. And of course there is the experiment. But apart from that, they seem to be more on equal footing in S2. John seems less bothered by Sherlock being Sherlock, and seems more able to hold his own.

I don't know, I just get a very different feel from their relationship in S2 compared to S1, and it's much more comfortable to watch them together. It's the first time I've seen the development and difference from S1 to S2 so clearly, very interesting.

Last edited by Vhanja (February 17, 2015 9:09 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

February 17, 2015 11:06 pm  #43

Vhanja wrote:

John seems less bothered by Sherlock being Sherlock, and seems more able to hold his own.

That's also what I especially see in HoB.
When John learns that Sherlock set him up for the situation in the lab, I would have thought he'd be furious... but he simply brushes it aside in a "oh yeah, that's Sherlock at his best, what did I expect" manner. And he pays him back with telling him he was wrong about the sugar - knowing well that Sherlock hates it to be wrong. Rubbing it in a bit because he wants a bit payback, but not in a mean way. It looks healthy, their relationship, right then.
And John lets Sherlock fully experience that if he really annoys him, he (John) will just walk away. Sherlock actually has come to John and apologize, simply because John waits for him to do so. But John doesn't look terrible uncomfortable with the situation, just a bit sad. Maybe because he knows that Sherlock will come round, and with that certainty, can relax on his own meanwhile.

"It is what it is."

February 17, 2015 11:09 pm  #44

Whisky wrote:

When John learns that Sherlock set him up for the situation in the lab, I would have thought he'd be furious... but he simply brushes it aside in a "oh yeah, that's Sherlock at his best, what did I expect" manner. And he pays him back with telling him he was wrong about the sugar - knowing well that Sherlock hates it to be wrong. Rubbing it in a bit because he wants a bit payback, but not in a mean way. It looks healthy, their relationship, right then.
And John lets Sherlock fully experience that if he really annoys him, he (John) will just walk away. Sherlock actually has come to John and apologize, simply because John waits for him to do so. But John doesn't look terrible uncomfortable with the situation, just a bit sad. Maybe because he knows that Sherlock will come round, and with that certainty, can relax on his own meanwhile.

Yeah, it was SiB and HoB that cemented the difference for me. In SiB, they are clearly enjoying themselves together, giggling and having fun. It's only with the severity of Irene that Sherlock withdraws. And in HoB, John is at his strongest, I think, stoic and cleary able to hold his own. His self awareness and calm during Sherlock's apology is simply amazing to watch. 

Team Hudders!

February 18, 2015 7:55 am  #45

I agree with both of you. It beautifully shows the development of their relationship. While John gets more self-assertive towards Sherlock, we get to see more of Sherlock's weaknesses and vulnerability. A development which continues in TRF with its  "annoying dick" scene which for me a one of the most wonderful and unsentimental declarations of trust and affection. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 18, 2015 8:43 am  #46

SusiGo wrote:

IIt beautifully shows the development of their relationship. While John gets more self-assertive towards Sherlock, we get to see more of Sherlock's weaknesses and vulnerability. A development which continues in TRF with its  "annoying dick" scene which for me a one of the most wonderful and unsentimental declarations of trust and affection. 

Oh, agree absolutely. It is one of the most thrilling aspects of the show IMO, that their relationship is not kind of "given" or immutable like in most SH adaptation. In S1 they are both attracted to each other, but they haven't settled yet and often clash. Sherlock behaves often as a spoiled child and John puts up with him, because with Sherlock his life became interesting and meaninful again. But actually, even in S1 we can sense Sherlock's craving for a true friend. He is very possesive and jelous of John. The Christmas scene is very revealing, but we see it as early as TSiP, when he makes a nasty comment about Donavan in aswer to her calling him a freak who has no friends in front of John. He looks hurt in BB when he presents John as his friend and he corrects "collegue" and has definitely a face of a hurt puppy when John gets annoyed and leaves the appartement in GG.
If "we" can feel it, John probably understands it as well. Moriarty has guessed that Sherlock, in spite of denying it, has a "heart", but John has probably has known it all along.

February 18, 2015 10:42 am  #47

I agree with both of you. I haven't seen the development from S1 to S2 so clearly as I do now, I think it's quite awesome. 

Even though I love S3 I have to say that I feel a lot of what we see in S2 is lost. I don't think they were ever able to rebuild their relationship to what it was before the fall, something I find quite sad.

Team Hudders!

February 18, 2015 10:48 am  #48

I think the writers did not want to rebuild what was before but to explore and develop it further. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 18, 2015 10:52 am  #49

Yeah, I think so too. I wonder what the next step will be.

Team Hudders!

February 19, 2015 5:20 am  #50

Vhanja wrote:

Yeah, I think so too. I wonder what the next step will be.

Well, they were close friends that were living together. IMO there is only a limited choice of what else they could be. But that is probably a thought for other threads.

(We need a rainbow emoticon here!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 31, 2015 3:07 pm  #51

Not sure if this video has been posted before on this forum. It's made for laughs, and I find it quite funny, but it is also very good example of what I mean with this thread:

Team Hudders!

March 31, 2015 3:32 pm  #52

I look at my husband like that sometimes too. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 31, 2015 6:54 pm  #53

Vhanja wrote:

Not sure if this video has been posted before on this forum. It's made for laughs, and I find it quite funny, but it is also very good example of what I mean with this thread:

A HEAVENLY video and I lauged over it like crazy!
Still, it is a final proof, that John is the one who throws tantrums in this relationship, not Sherlock. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 31, 2015 7:05 pm  #54

To me, it's the final proof that Sherlock is the source of so much annoyance that I sometimes wonder how John bothers to stay with him.

Team Hudders!

March 31, 2015 7:09 pm  #55

Vhanja wrote:

To me, it's the final proof that Sherlock is the source of so much annoyance that I sometimes wonder how John bothers to stay with him.

Because Sherlock is hot as hell and John is arse over tea kettle in love with him!

Or maybe that's just me.

*goes back to corner giggling madly*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 31, 2015 7:11 pm  #56

tonnaree wrote:

Because Sherlock is hot as hell and John is arse over tea kettle in love with him!

Or maybe that's just me.

*goes back to corner giggling madly*

I can live with that explanation. 

Team Hudders!

March 31, 2015 7:19 pm  #57

Vhanja wrote:

I´m sure that if John didn´t have Sherlock he woulf find some reason to rage some more. He is like rage personified. 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 31, 2015 7:26 pm  #58

nakahara wrote:

I´m sure that if John didn´t have Sherlock he woulf find some reason to rage some more. He is like rage personified. 

And kittens!

Team Hudders!

March 31, 2015 7:49 pm  #59

Awh Haha!! That was quite the compilation!

Gosh... I needed that laugh! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

March 31, 2015 7:59 pm  #60

Vhanja wrote:

nakahara wrote:

And kittens!

Three levels of rage:

1. choleric
2. murderous choleric
3. John Watson 

Last edited by nakahara (March 31, 2015 7:59 pm)

Board footera