BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2015 4:05 pm  #21

Re: Sherlock and John - level of annoyance in the show

Vhanja wrote:

I didn't say there weren't any such scenes. I said that there seemed to be much more of the other type of scenes, the ones where John is more or less constantly annoyed by how Sherlock behaves. And that made me ponder a bit, because I find it to be a slightly odd writer decision when you are portraying one of the best friendship stories there is.

What I feel and think about Johnlock isn't really relevant in this thread. 

Well, for me Johnlock also does come into play when we're talking about this, but okay, if it's not relevant for you here, then let's drop it.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 4, 2015 4:06 pm  #22

Just a little thing about the Christmas party - Sherlock lashes out the very moment Molly mentions that Sherlock complained to her about John leaving him to visit his family. Before he has even played the violin to make Mrs Hudson happy but when Molly reveals that he was in some way affected by John going away over the holidays, he gets vindictive towards her. Which is a very Sherlock-y proof of how much he wants to have John with him. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 4, 2015 4:12 pm  #23

True, but he seems annoyed even before the “final lash out”(when Molly comes in, when Janet talks to him etc.). And John in turn seems to get a bit fed up with him (Yes, back on topic!) busting everyone’s Christmas-hopes.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

February 4, 2015 4:13 pm  #24

SusiGo wrote:

Just a little thing about the Christmas party - Sherlock lashes out the very moment Molly mentions that Sherlock complained to her about John leaving him to visit his family. Before he has even played the violin to make Mrs Hudson happy but when Molly reveals that he was in some way affected by John going away over the holidays, he gets vindictive towards her. Which is a very Sherlock-y proof of how much he wants to have John with him. 

Or to put it simply, Sherlock acts like a big ole grumpy baby because he wants John all to himself. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 4, 2015 4:15 pm  #25

Lola Red wrote:

True, but he seems annoyed even before the “final lash out”(when Molly comes in, when Janet talks to him etc.). And John in turn seems to get a bit fed up with him (Yes, back on topic!) busting everyone’s Christmas-hopes. 

This is true. He even does a mocking "Oh, everybody is saying "hello"". He is already in a state, and I'm not sure why. But as you said, could be Christmas in general. Although he was much more subdued with his parents (where Mycroft was the one with the childish tantrum, interestingly enough).

It is clear that John is a strong person, and that he would leave Sherlock if he felt like it. He doesn't. So the question is - does it come across well enough in the show why he doesn't leave? Why he sticks around even though Sherlock treats him quite badly most of the times? 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 4, 2015 4:17 pm  #26

Christmas is not his thing, true. But his attack on Molly has a different quality, I think it is the most verbally cruel thing he ever did. And it comes right after her remark. He crushes John's hopes of a sober sister and immediately rounds on Molly. So he attacks those peoplewho annoyed/hurt him - John who wanted to leave him alone at Christmas and Molly who talked about his reaction. 

Last edited by SusiGo (February 4, 2015 4:18 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 4, 2015 4:21 pm  #27

SolarSystem wrote:

Well, for me Johnlock also does come into play when we're talking about this, but okay, if it's not relevant for you here, then let's drop it.

I don't mind if other people talk about Johnlock, if it's relevant for the thread in their view and their reply. Of course not. I'm not dictating what's relevant for other people. 

But to answer your question in a more general way - to me, it's the complexity of the show that I love. The complexity of the characters. Nothing, absolutely nothing and no character (more or less) is black or white. And certainly not Sherlock or John. They are all so wonderfully, fascinatingly grey. Nothing is straight-forward, nothing is simple - sometimes frustratingly so. 

It seems some people on the board here gets a bit confused as to why I can say so much bad things about Sherlock, how I can even like him if I think he is that horrible a person. Or how I can ship Johnlock when I view the characters as I do. But I don't see the trouble at all. Sherlock can be the biggest prat in history sometimes - yet also the most loyal, sweet and adorable friend anyone can wish for. John probably want to smack Sherlock over the head twice a day (and have even done so once), but still loves him. 

THAT is the mystery of it. That is why I love about these characters! Square-jawed heroes in shining armour with no flaws are so boring they lull me to sleep within a minute. But these gorgeously complex characters fascinates me to no end.

So for me, the topic of this thread is just one of many interesting aspects of these two guys. Another piece of the puzzle.

Last edited by Vhanja (February 4, 2015 4:22 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

February 4, 2015 4:23 pm  #28

SusiGo wrote:

Christmas is not his thing, true. But his attack on Molly has a different quality, I think it is the most verbally cruel thing he ever did. And it comes right after her remark. He crushes John's hopes of a sober sister and immediately rounds on Molly. So he attacks those peoplewho annoyed/hurt him - John who wanted to leave him alone at Christmas and Molly who talked about his reaction. 

I'm guessing he was already in a bad temper because of Christmas (although that is a rather vague reason in itself), and then the remark from Molly just set him off. 

Team Hudders!

February 4, 2015 4:46 pm  #29

Well, something I meant to say earlier and forgot because I got distracted by Johnlock (tends to happen...).
So this is about statistics now? We categorize certain types of scenes, then we count how many scenes belong to category A, how many belong to category B and so forth (by the way, has anyone really counted or is this just a loose count in our heads?) - and the result is: quantity is more important than quality?
Having more scenes that show us a grumpy, cruel Sherlock John is annoyed by doesn't necessarily mean to me that they are of a bigger importance than fewer scenes with Sherlock and John having fun and enjoying each others company when you look at it on the whole. The quality of those scenes are the important factor for me. Do the scenes in which Sherlock and John can be seen as friends who cleaarly like each other appear more important to me, do they outweigh those other scenes because they have that certain quality to them that makes everything else look less important...?
I have long answered that question for myself.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 4, 2015 4:51 pm  #30

I am not sure what you mean by what "we" do. I was using the categories to show my argument and that this was a rather big thing in the series that happens a lot, and not just something that I have imagined in my head. 

And seeing as the frequency of this is in ever single episode, and several times in each and every episode, means that this is something that happens regularly. And in my opinion, what happens in everyday life is more important than what happens every now and then.

It wouldn't matter if my husband smiled to me and gave me a hug once every three months if he was grumpy and snarky at me every day other than that (as an example).

So, yes, I think I have answered that question for myself as well. And that is why I started this thread.

Team Hudders!

February 4, 2015 5:04 pm  #31

John suffers a lot for Sherlock without choosing it consciously.
Sherlock suffers a lot for John but choosing to.
That's my impression, and it might explain why John is always that bit angrier.

I think as soon as they're even, the smiling will become more.

I think John often gets into trouble because of Sherlock (meeting Mycroft, being put in bonfires, strapped to semtex), or Sherlock gets people in trouble, and John's angry and upset - for himself, for Sherlock, for innocent victims. Because Sherlock doesn't even apologize.

On the other hand, I think Sherlock realises this and tries to make up for it, and he does this by going all the way to help John (as seen in HLV). But John cannot see it for what it is, I suppose.

So yes, I agree it's a misunderstanding basically.
If John understood what Sherlock is doing there, or rather why, he would calm down I think. Sherlock acts very much in the way "show-don't tell", but I think John understands telling much better and has problems to interpret the things Sherlock only shows through his actions.

Last edited by Whisky (February 4, 2015 5:13 pm)

"It is what it is."

February 4, 2015 5:06 pm  #32

I don't quite get what you mean. Can you go into more detail?

edit: Thank you for explaining.

I do not see that John is angry about “getting into trouble” (nice wording). I feel it is exactly what he needs to function. I think this is what makes him gravitate towards Sherlock, because, as Mycroft put it “When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield” and John needs that. As soon as he does not have that anymore (and is not numbed by grief) his PTSD plays up. I agree that John gets upset when innocents are in danger, especially when Sherlock does not seem to care. But I don’t think he gets upset about him getting swept along in Sherlock’s adventures.

Last edited by Lola Red (February 4, 2015 6:16 pm)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

February 4, 2015 5:07 pm  #33

Whisky wrote:

That was an excellent summary. How to put so much into so few words. 

I think you managed to put my mind at ease with this whole issue with only three sentences. That's a record. 

Last edited by Vhanja (February 4, 2015 5:08 pm)

Team Hudders!

February 4, 2015 5:19 pm  #34

Whoopsie, I was still editing while you were already answering. Hope it still makes sense

Vhanja wrote:

Whisky wrote:

That was an excellent summary. How to put so much into so few words. 

I think you managed to put my mind at ease with this whole issue with only three sentences. That's a record. 

;-) A mind at ease is very important

"It is what it is."

February 4, 2015 5:22 pm  #35

Your editing made your point a bit different from my interpretation (just a tad). But that doesn't really matter, because my mind is still at ease with how I saw what you wrote.

Team Hudders!

February 4, 2015 6:09 pm  #36

How did you interpret it?

It's a long shot anyway, it was just something coming to mind that seemed to fit to your question.
I'm not sure it's the best explanation, so maybe someone will come up with something else just as mind-easing ;-)

I just thought, what would need to happen to stop John being angry? Because I agree, he often is. I don't see it entirely as just "jokes" either.
Also I'm sure Sherlock can be pretty angry too, but maybe isn't used to show it (emotions and such). There is only one or two moments I can remember, when Sherlock looses his patience and lets anger show. I mean, anger directed at somebody involving emotion. Not his general anger about "people being slow" or "not being able to solve a case". And even then, people being slow is basically an insult to John again.

"It is what it is."

February 4, 2015 6:45 pm  #37

Lola Red wrote:

I don't quite get what you mean. Can you go into more detail?

edit: Thank you for explaining.

I do not see that John is angry about “getting into trouble” (nice wording). I feel it is exactly what he needs to function. I think this is what makes him gravitate towards Sherlock, because, as Mycroft put it “When you walk with Sherlock Holmes, you see the battlefield” and John needs that. As soon as he does not have that anymore (and is not numbed by grief) his PTSD plays up. I agree that John gets upset when innocents are in danger, especially when Sherlock does not seem to care. But I don’t think he gets upset about him getting swept along in Sherlock’s adventures.

I see it in the same manner - Sherlock´s behaviour that could be offputting for other people is actually intriguing for John and it firmly binds him to Sherlock´s side.

John acts as if he was an "ordinary" person but he is anything but - he craves the danger, craves the unexpected. And Sherlock fullfills his needs best of all people.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 4, 2015 7:03 pm  #38

Whisky wrote:

How did you interpret it?

It's a long shot anyway, it was just something coming to mind that seemed to fit to your question.
I'm not sure it's the best explanation, so maybe someone will come up with something else just as mind-easing ;-)

I just thought, what would need to happen to stop John being angry? Because I agree, he often is. I don't see it entirely as just "jokes" either.
Also I'm sure Sherlock can be pretty angry too, but maybe isn't used to show it (emotions and such). There is only one or two moments I can remember, when Sherlock looses his patience and lets anger show. I mean, anger directed at somebody involving emotion. Not his general anger about "people being slow" or "not being able to solve a case". And even then, people being slow is basically an insult to John again.

Well, I'm not even sure I want to give my interpretation, because then someone might disagree, give a counter-argument and I might lose my new-found ease. 

Basically, I see it the same as you do, only have different emphasis on the "suffering" part. I don't think it's the life and death danger situations that makes John angry. And if it does, it's just a flash of anger then and there that just as quickly vaporates. After all, that is what he is craving. 

What I think the matter is - and what lifted the fog in my head - was that John is more or less constantly annoyed, angered, offended or fed up by Sherlock's behaviour. Meaning his snark, impatience, arrogance and coldness. (I.e, his suffering). Sherlock, on the other hand, is more or less never bothered by John in a negative way. It's rare, if ever, that John manages to annoy or offend Sherlock. It happens, yes, but rarely. (I.e. his less suffering).

So Sherlock, by just being Sherlock, will often act in a way that increases John's suffering through sheer irritation and annoyance. John, by just being John, doesn't elicit the same response in Sherlock.

So even though they do like each other, care for each, love each other and would die for each other - on a day to day basis, their relationship takes a bigger toll on John than on Sherlock. And I think Sherlock is more or less oblivious to it, and that entire situation - and the fact that it will most probably never change - is something I think can explain the underlying current of John's annoyance.

At least, that is the explanation that makes the most sense in my head.

Last edited by Vhanja (February 4, 2015 7:04 pm)

Team Hudders!

February 4, 2015 7:49 pm  #39

I just wonder why John would be still irriated by Sherlock. Especially by the daily behaviour.
I know that from my friends... some have a tendency to annoy me. Probably because they trigger something which I didn't like in the first place.
I either get used to it, or I get rid of the friends. Sounds harsh, but there are only so many possibilities, because in the end you cannot force a friendship against odds. It might be okay for a while, because both really try, but on the long run... no. Because changing someone will never work completely, and I am very sure that although Sherlock is in a process of change, there is a core to him characterwise that won't change.
If your explanation was true, I would expect John to relax over time, or to snap more often and finally leave.
But I feel like there is a fine but firm string that keeps John next to Sherlock despite his suffering, as you put it. So John puts up with someone who annoys him a lot, but still stays? That hints to a weak character, which I think John is not, or to some other need that's bigger than his annoyance.
Could be the danger. Could be closeness that keeps him from loneliness. Could be love. Could be "something that happens to him".

I think it puts John in a very tough place though. Would mean Sherlock is the reason he suffers and also the reason he is finally having a good life.

Which sounds an awful lot like love, and I am not even a Johnlocker. But things like that make it come up.

Apart from that, John spend a lot of time with Sherlock and although he gets annoyed, he called him "best friend". That tells me he is very ready to put up with most of Sherlock's eccentrics. And he says "best friend" after a hard time, not in the very beginning of their friendship.
Remember THOB... they quite struggle to spell out the word friends. John offers it, Sherlock rejects it, then Sherlock advances and calls John his only friend, John silently acknowledges it. And it's a theme that is all over the series. If John was suffering a lot without benefits, he wouldn't be around Sherlock anymore. There has to be pay-off.
(I don't believe in very uneven friendships, not really. Love yes. Friendship no.)

Maybe at some point it becomes impossible to entangle. Maybe that's simply why things are like they are. Because they are in a place none of them can leave easily.

Last edited by Whisky (February 4, 2015 7:58 pm)

"It is what it is."

February 4, 2015 7:51 pm  #40

Just my two cent:

My husband is often received as snarky, angry or annoyed. But if you ask him, he will tell you how happy he is. He just comes across angry or annoyed without meaning much by it.

I could imagine that if it would be the same for John (which I don't think, but let's say he is for the sake of this thread), Sherlock would surely see through it and understand that John feels at ease even when seeming to be annoyed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera