BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2015 6:37 am  #1741

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

A couple of interesting thoughts for those fans who think Sherlock and Mary are quite alike:

http://no-goldfish-required.tumblr.com/post/128010742137/captain-liddy-so-it-occurred-to-me-today-that

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 31, 2015 6:39 am  #1742

Oh, I read this a minute ago. Even without the Austen parallel it is a wonderful observation.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 31, 2015 6:47 am  #1743

I love the Austen parallel, Pride and Prejudice is a wonderful book. And it nails it.

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 31, 2015 6:49 am  #1744

True. Have to read it again. I had Austen in my oral exam at university.

And to return to Mary - one big problem of course is that at the end of the series we do not know what kind of person she is. One might call it with Dickens "A Tale of Two Marys", two characters that have nothing in common and are basically irreconcilable. I am not speaking of simplistic labels like loving wife or killer but the way she behaves. In the whole of HLV there is no trace of TEH Mary left. For me, and I am just speaking for myself, the impression of HLV Mary is very strong and almost blots out my first impressions of her. And this is what we were left with for the hiatus. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 31, 2015 8:40 am)

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 31, 2015 9:14 am  #1745

I don't view her as two different people, or that the revelation of her as an assassin has made what we saw in the previous episodes a lie. I think what we saw in TEH and TSoT were just as much Mary as HLV. People are complex, and there is no reason why having a past as an assassin doesn't mean you can't also be a loving and supporting wife. (Even officers working in concentration camps during WWII were loving husbands and fathers when they returned home for the day).

As I see it, she held her past to herself, not faking who she was. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 31, 2015 9:24 am  #1746

Oh, this is a very delicate subject, Vhanja. I really would not make this comparison and I do not think that a person who has done the things you mention could be regarded as merely complex. IMO someone who has done unspeakably cruel things can never be regarded as a morally good person even if they were loving husbands/wives/parents. I think this comparison is inappropriate and should not be used to discuss Mary's character. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 31, 2015 9:27 am)

August 31, 2015 10:08 am  #1747

I agree, Susi. I started to write an answer to Vhanja's post but I discovered that it felt more than only a bit not good.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 31, 2015 10:11 am  #1748

Um... sorry, but what kind of comparison is that, Vhanja?
Do you really mean that?
Though I don't like the character of Mary it would never come into my mind to compare her with... least of all as an excuse for her behaving like she did.

Last edited by gently69 (August 31, 2015 10:16 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 31, 2015 10:20 am  #1749

No, it wasn't a comparison. It was an example to illustrate that you can have a side that is regarded by society as cruel or even horrible, yet also at the same time be loving and caring. Meaning that even if we see Mary shooting Sherlock more or less in cold blood, that doesn't mean that the warm scenes with see with John earlier has to be a lie or fake.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

August 31, 2015 10:21 am  #1750

No, Vhanja, FAIL

Would you say this in the present of the surviving children?

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 31, 2015 10:25 am  #1751

I still think that it is a very bad and inappropriate example.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that working in a concentration camp was equal to having a side "regarded by society as cruel or even horrible". That is not acceptable. It WAS cruel and horrible. There are basic moral principles that are not open to discussion, and this is one of them. And I do not wish to discuss a fictional character from the show in such a context or use it to explain or defend this character. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 31, 2015 10:25 am)

August 31, 2015 10:29 am  #1752

Please don't tell me "fail". That seems rude and kind of condescending. My sentence concerning the concentration camp soldiers is actually from our Master course in Ethics. I am used to being able to discuss these things in a serious manner without going into full defence and horror mode by the mere mention of it, as holocaust has tremendous amounts of interesting and important things to learn from when it comes to ethics and evil-doings in humanity. (Especially to learn that under the right circumstances, most of us are capable of doing horrible deeds).

I apologize for thinking this could be discussed, no, even only mentioned, on this forum in the same manner as I am used to when discussing ethics with others.

Team Hudders!

August 31, 2015 10:33 am  #1753

If you have all these information, even worse.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 31, 2015 10:34 am  #1754

Vhanja, I didn't get from your post that people who worked in concentration camps were morally good - rather that the person doing unspeakable things at work and the person leading a normal family life at home were actually the same person (or different aspects of the same personality, rather than two completely different personalities within one body).   With Mary, it's difficult to tell because we don't really get a chance after the revelation in HLV to see if she's still the same Mary as before.  It's all caught up in confrontation or reconciliation.   It's only really at the airport scene where you could expect to see a glimpse of the old Mary.    So it's a bit of a mystery.  I suspect that Mary would still be Mary as we knew her, but we don't actually see it.  I do think that she most likely genuinely loves John. 

I don't think Pride and Prejudice comparism works quite so well at this point.  There is a little bit of Mr Darcy in how Sherlock is shown, particularly at the beginning (appears superior, arrogant, etc.).  Like Mr Darcy, he's clearly good underneath the "front", but I don't think that's a suprise: I think it's more than evident (to us and to John in particuar) by HLV. 

On the other hand, Mary can also be a little bit "prickly" and can sometimes come across a little superior or arrogant too.  Not as much as Sherlock, but I do see a bit of that in her character.

Last edited by Liberty (August 31, 2015 10:36 am)

August 31, 2015 10:34 am  #1755

Sorry, Vhanja, better try to discuss it with the help of other fictional characters. To mention war crimes in that context... no way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 31, 2015 10:34 am  #1756

Now this is what I call condescending, Vhanja. Believe me, I know quite a lot about this part of history and I am very able to discuss it in the right context. But this is not the right context, especially since this thread is heated and passionate enough without bringing the subject of nazism into it. I would have wished you to understand this instead of basically telling us that we are not able to discuss this in a serious manner. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 31, 2015 10:34 am)

August 31, 2015 10:43 am  #1757

Liberty wrote:

Vhanja, I didn't get from your post that people who worked in concentration camps were morally good - rather that the person doing unspeakable things at work and the person leading a normal family life at home were actually the same person (or different aspects of the same personality, rather than two completely different personalities within one body).   With Mary, it's difficult to tell because we don't really get a chance after the revelation in HLV to see if she's still the same Mary as before.  It's all caught up in confrontation or reconciliation.   It's only really at the airport scene where you could expect to see a glimpse of the old Mary.    So it's a bit of a mystery.  I suspect that Mary would still be Mary as we knew her, but we don't actually see it.  I do think that she most likely genuinely loves John. 

I don't think Pride and Prejudice comparism works quite so well at this point.  There is a little bit of Mr Darcy in how Sherlock is shown, particularly at the beginning (appears superior, arrogant, etc.).  Like Mr Darcy, he's clearly good underneath the "front", but I don't think that's a suprise: I think it's more than evident (to us and to John in particuar) by HLV. 

On the other hand, Mary can also be a little bit "prickly" and can sometimes come across a little superior or arrogant too.  Not as much as Sherlock, but I do see a bit of that in her character.

Yeah, that is what I'm thinking. Mary shooting Sherlock does not exclude her also being able to be warm and loving towards John. It's just different aspects of the same personality.

And I agree, we don't really have a chance to see much of that persona in HLV, because of what's going on. TEH and TSoT were much more light-hearted, where these sides of her were easier to get across. There isn't that much room for her to show those sides in HLV. (She does show concern towards the neighbour in the beginning of HLV).

Team Hudders!

August 31, 2015 10:47 am  #1758

Better not sulk.
Vhanja, you are aware that those users who feel a bit not good with this comparison are actually Germans? Believe me, it's a big topic here from very childhood in all school forms to keep the memory of the horror alive and not using it in an inappropriate way and context. This has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with not being allowed to name the horror.
Liberty, thank you for getting us back to topic, I can't quite grasp your point though. On the one hand you say the Austen paralleling doesn't work for you, on the other hand you agree with Sherlock/Darcy similarities. I don't understand that fully.

August 31, 2015 11:07 am  #1759

Mrs House, I meant that Darcy appears to be an arrogant and uncaring character, but in the end turns out to be a good person.  I think we already know that Sherlock is a good person - it's maybe a little ambiguous right at the begining, but certainly by HLV I don't think we're still waiting fhat revelation.  Part of the "point" of Pride and Prejudice is that this revelation comes late in the story ... if it was obvious from the beginning it wouldn't be the same story.   So yes, I think there are some superficial resemblences to the character, but not to the development of the character or the story.   

Meanwhile, the post said that Mary wasn't "prickly" like Mr Darcy, but I think she has her prickly aspects right from the beginning.  And I don't think her major flaw parallels Mr Wickham's very well. 

Last edited by Liberty (August 31, 2015 11:08 am)

August 31, 2015 11:18 am  #1760

I see.
But actually it is not at all said that Mary isn't prickly from time to time. The main focus is Sherlock on the one hand and we can take into consideration his developement as whole from the beginning of S1, and on the other hand the developement Mary takes ( and we can only take S3 in account, of course...)
The parallels rather arrogant to human and nice and charming to a bit cold-blooded works quite well for me.

Board footera