BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2015 9:28 pm  #1641

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Well, she tweeted it while HLV was on BBC One. No idea if she had other reasons. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 26, 2015 9:29 pm  #1642

Harriet wrote:

(You know, my first thought was: Why is SHE saying THAT NOW?)

Agree. Plus, she followed her "psychopath" statement with the note that she is looking forward to filming of S4 which will occur very soon... hmmmm. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 26, 2015 9:30 pm  #1643

@Susi Right, and she is known as a spontaneous Tweeter, to say the least.
Still, I can see why nakahara expresses some distrust.

edit: @Susi

Last edited by Harriet (August 27, 2015 9:45 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 26, 2015 9:32 pm  #1644

This is what she wrote about series 4:

Ohhh so excited to start filming the fourth one. Can't wait until next year. You lot are in for a treat! Love those boys. #Sherlock

She posted it shortly after the psychopath one. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 26, 2015 9:35 pm  #1645

"You lot are in for a treat."

Sounds as she already knows what would happen in S4, doesn´t it? 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 26, 2015 9:37 pm  #1646

Yes, it does. We know they told the team about the basic direction the series is going to take. Devastating and all that. 

August 27, 2015 4:36 am  #1647

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, it does. We know they told the team about the basic direction the series is going to take. Devastating and all that. 

Devastating. I'm almost DREADING it. 

August 27, 2015 5:57 am  #1648

mrshouse wrote:

Ah, well,...
That is just along the well known lines of "Oh, how well she fits into this world, how cool, such parents for a child..." and stuff...

That´s how I understood her meaning.. "f**g psychopath" as appreciative term, just like "that´s so sick" or similar expressions. I don´t believe for a second this points in any way to Mary´s further development in S4..sadly. 

August 27, 2015 7:01 am  #1649

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 27, 2015 7:12 am  #1650

Oh, well. Tbh, I never understood this passionate defence of Mary, the character, but I can understand that these fans are quite angry at Amanda. To them it must feel like a stab in the back, especially since she has said very different things in many interviews. If it was just said to play with people's expectations - which I do not believe - it went quite wrong.
Personally, I think it was one of her spontaneous, gut instinct remarks she likes to post on Twitter. She was watching or remembering HLV and thought by herself "Gosh, what a ... this woman is" and chose to tweet it at once. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 27, 2015 7:13 am)

August 27, 2015 7:21 am  #1651

@ mrshouse Oh yes, she did. But reading this post, I took comfort in the fact that true psychopaths won't be able to feel offended by a derogatory word

(Susi, read yours only after my post.)

Last edited by Harriet (August 27, 2015 7:22 am)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 27, 2015 7:22 am  #1652

Sounds plausible.
Though I just scrolled a bit mary-morstan tags on tumblr and found multiple snippets of interviews where she uses the term psychopath or psychopatic. But more along the lines of "all three of them are psycho, they fit so well, cool trio."
Ugh.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 27, 2015 7:28 am  #1653

mrshouse wrote:

Sounds plausible.
Though I just scrolled a bit mary-morstan tags on tumblr and found multiple snippets of interviews where she uses the term psychopath or psychopatic. But more along the lines of "all three of them are psycho, they fit so well, cool trio."Ugh.

Ugh indeed.
And by the way, even if they all were psychopaths, how boring is it to watch a trio of people where everyone has the same quality/anti-quality (if there is such a word)...?
And I know, nobody is just one thing, there are lots of different character traits in a person, but the way the focus seems to lie on this psychopath thing... 

Last edited by SolarSystem (August 27, 2015 7:30 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 27, 2015 7:51 am  #1654

mrshouse wrote:

Sounds plausible.
Though I just scrolled a bit mary-morstan tags on tumblr and found multiple snippets of interviews where she uses the term psychopath or psychopatic. But more along the lines of "all three of them are psycho, they fit so well, cool trio."
Ugh.

Exactly. Which renders the term quite meaningless, IMO. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 27, 2015 7:51 am  #1655

SolarSystem wrote:

And I know, nobody is just one thing, there are lots of different character traits in a person, but the way the focus seems to lie on this psychopath thing... 

Yes, and the perceived glee about it.. well. Also some things exclude each other, for example you can´t be a f***g psychopath and at the same time oh so in tune with human nature and empathetic to mourning John´s and worried neighbor-ladies.. but I swore to myself not to be nitpicky about contradictory characterisations in "Sherlock" ever again, so I´ll stop here .

August 27, 2015 7:57 am  #1656

I do not think they exclude each other. To my knowledge people with this disorder may be quite adept at faking empathy.
In the scene with the neighbour Mary is shown as an antithesis to john, so she has to act sympathetic.
Regarding Billy,  her empathy already diminishes.
With Sherlock and John, we do not get any empathy for the rest of the episode.

August 27, 2015 8:59 am  #1657

She tweeted that because like peeps on here have already said, she is a spontaneous tweeter and she was watching HLV and felt like saying that watching the shooting scene. I now realise that for fans not in the UK it must have seemed like such a random statement! But honestly I probably wouldn't read too much into it... she tweeted almost what was an 'exclamation' as she rewatched the scene.

August 27, 2015 9:10 am  #1658

I totally agree, having an intellectual understanding of human nature and faking empathetic reaction based on that knowledge might be entirely possible, but I was talking about Mary actually being empathetic here.. 

I don´t think this is possible for a f***g psychopath, but then again I agree she probably just used the term very veeery very loosely and didn´t put much thought into it.

Last edited by Zatoichi (August 27, 2015 9:29 am)

August 27, 2015 9:36 am  #1659

but again - by the definition Google provides, Mary is indeed a psychopath

August 27, 2015 9:52 am  #1660

Psycopath isn't really a useful term, though, is it? It's not in use by psychiatrists, and therefore it's up to each and every one how they define it. That is why I find it so meaningless. It doesn't have a clear definition and it's not a proper term to describe someone's psychology as it's not psychological correct.

When the same term is used to describe both Sherlock and Mary, two persons we know (or at least suspect) have very different motivations and agendas, it becomes slightly worthless to describe anyone.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

Board footera