BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 16, 2015 12:05 am  #1561

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

As I see it, he hasn't forgiven Mary. The scene at Sherlock's parents wasn't for me the scene to show that John had forgiven Mary. It was a scene showing that John had made the decision to start forgiving Mary.

To me, it's clear when he says that he is still "basically pissed off with you". To me, that doesn't sound like forgivness. The entire scene plays out to me as John telling Mary he has decided to give their relationship a go, and has decided to start the process of forgiving. That is why he looks more determined than happy, and why he is still angry with her.

Last edited by Vhanja (August 16, 2015 12:06 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 16, 2015 12:23 am  #1562

Vhanja wrote:

As I see it, he hasn't forgiven Mary. The scene at Sherlock's parents wasn't for me the scene to show that John had forgiven Mary. It was a scene showing that John had made the decision to start forgiving Mary.

To me, it's clear when he says that he is still "basically pissed off with you". To me, that doesn't sound like forgivness. The entire scene plays out to me as John telling Mary he has decided to give their relationship a go, and has decided to start the process of forgiving. That is why he looks more determined than happy, and why he is still angry with her.

I guess what bugs me is that he even could go back to her, at all. Yeah, I know "it's for the child", but many, many couples have broken up for one reason or another and shared custody...(grumble)

August 16, 2015 3:07 am  #1563

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Actually, John's forgiveness of Mary bothers me more... I just can't understand how he could (a) believe the "surgery explanation, and (b) forgive someone who lied to him about who she was from the beginning of their relationship, then shot Sherlock to keep John from finding out the truth, when he's barely forgiven Sherlock for faking his death, even though it saved his life. On John's blog, he says that Sherlock did tell him about the snipers, and John said he didn't know if he'd ever fully trust Sherlock again, even though he understood why Sherlock had done it. But he forgave Mary. Uuuurrrrrgggghhhhh.

That actually does put a crimp in my johnlock.

And once again, makes perfect sense if John is lying.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 16, 2015 3:38 am  #1564

I certainly hope John is lying through his teeth. 

August 16, 2015 6:47 am  #1565

Yes, I agree. Hard pill to swallow for me and one that to me is not completely justified by the narrative. Except, of course, things are not what they seem to be and there is something more going on in the background (with Mycroft or the flash drive or whatever).

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 17, 2015 5:30 pm  #1566

tonnaree wrote:

kornmuhme wrote:

But what I find much more irritating and even annoying is the fact that Sherlock easily forgives her. He even never ever criticizes her - and she almost killed him! So I'm not really angry at Mary, but at Sherlock. I just can't understand his "easy going" with Mary and her deed!

It all makes sense if Sherlock is lying.  

Do you think he is?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

August 18, 2015 3:18 am  #1567

kornmuhme wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

kornmuhme wrote:

But what I find much more irritating and even annoying is the fact that Sherlock easily forgives her. He even never ever criticizes her - and she almost killed him! So I'm not really angry at Mary, but at Sherlock. I just can't understand his "easy going" with Mary and her deed!

It all makes sense if Sherlock is lying.  

Do you think he is?

I keep thinking that Sherlock is lying- for John's sake. OW. 

August 18, 2015 7:04 am  #1568

So do I. He is in pain and under enormous stress and wants John to be safe as long as he himself is incapacitated. It is the only scenario that makes sense to me. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 19, 2015 3:29 am  #1569

SusiGo wrote:

So do I. He is in pain and under enormous stress and wants John to be safe as long as he himself is incapacitated. It is the only scenario that makes sense to me. 

I'm also hoping that John knows better than to believe it! And that? I'm not so sure about...

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (August 19, 2015 3:30 am)

August 19, 2015 7:18 am  #1570

I think in this very moment John believes it or at least is very overchallenged. But I still do not trust the reconciliation scene which happens after months of possible discussions and planning. But we are running in circles with this as we do not know what happened in between and cannot be sure that we will ever know. 

August 19, 2015 1:14 pm  #1571

SusiGo wrote:

I think in this very moment John believes it or at least is very overchallenged. But I still do not trust the reconciliation scene which happens after months of possible discussions and planning. But we are running in circles with this as we do not know what happened in between and cannot be sure that we will ever know. 

That time jump makes me INSANE!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 19, 2015 6:00 pm  #1572

The time jump IS just--- wow. And then John throws the flash drive in the fire! Arrrrrggghhh!

August 19, 2015 6:14 pm  #1573

Might be a copy though.

August 19, 2015 6:18 pm  #1574

SusiGo wrote:

Might be a copy though.

That would be smarter...

August 19, 2015 7:54 pm  #1575

There are some metas about the differences between the drives we see in 221B and the Christmas scene. Might be a mistake of the prop department but this would be very sloppy.

August 19, 2015 7:59 pm  #1576

SusiGo wrote:

There are some metas about the differences between the drives we see in 221B and the Christmas scene. Might be a mistake of the prop department but this would be very sloppy.

Here's my difficulty; (and please, someone, talk me down!) -- there were.. well, inconsistencies and plot holes and suchlike that make it hard to believe that "it's all part of a greater plan". Maybe I'm overthinking? I'm having trouble maintaining a certain blind faith that things will turn out the way most of the metas are saying, because a lot of them echo my own wishful thinking, but the actual show *seems* to have gone in a different direction. :-(

Again, I could be wrong. I *want* to be wrong. But when Mofftiss is saying, "take this, this, and this at face value-- .
I'm probably overthinking. 

August 19, 2015 8:29 pm  #1577

I really am not sure if there is a plan or if we are to take it all at face value. But in spite of inconsistencies etc. before HLV I never had the feeling that the behaviour of the characters was inconsistent or that they lost credibility (within the universe of the show, not compared to reality.) The only exception is the whole forgiveness-surgery-business. This I cannot buy and I would disappointed if we were to take this at face value. 

August 19, 2015 9:12 pm  #1578

SusiGo wrote:

I really am not sure if there is a plan or if we are to take it all at face value. But in spite of inconsistencies etc. before HLV I never had the feeling that the behaviour of the characters was inconsistent or that they lost credibility (within the universe of the show, not compared to reality.) The only exception is the whole forgiveness-surgery-business. This I cannot buy and I would disappointed if we were to take this at face value. 

Oh, totally!!!  HLV was kinda what made me start second guessing everything. And, to a certain extent, TEH, because I wasn't sure what to believe about TRF, after that....

August 19, 2015 9:29 pm  #1579

SusiGo wrote:

What does the drives mean?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 19, 2015 9:32 pm  #1580

It could mean that the flash drive John burns is not the same Mary has given him, i.e. that it is a trick to make her believe that he has not read it and has fully forgiven her. 

Board footera