BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2015 11:08 pm  #1361

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I've brought ice cream and frozen fruit pops...

Oh God Yes.    It's hot as 7 Hells in Atlanta.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 8, 2015 11:14 pm  #1362

tonnaree wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

I've brought ice cream and frozen fruit pops...

Oh God Yes.    It's hot as 7 Hells in Atlanta.

Oh, wow! You're in Hotlanta? Here, have a Slushie! 😂

July 9, 2015 3:50 am  #1363

Vhanja wrote:

I haven't, so I don't see the relevance. But as you seem more occupied with refering to some unknown past I don't know about, and patting each other on the back in agreement over how horrible Mary is, this is not fruitful or constructive. So I will leave it here. This thread seems to be more about "Let's be snarky over how horrible Mary is" than anything else, so I will leave it to you as it is.

I'm not referring to an unknown past. I'm referring to the fact that, on the show, she was an Assassin. 

July 9, 2015 6:48 am  #1364

Good morning. Not so hot over here but ice cream would be nice. *handing round coffee*

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 9, 2015 7:08 am  #1365

Ice coffee? 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

July 9, 2015 8:44 am  #1366

Just my two cents to yesterday's discussion  and then I leave it again.

Yes, Mary was nice and cute and charming in TEH and TSoT. I saw that and thought that she was really good for John. And for example, I also didn't see her in the wedding planning scene that condescending like Susi did.
But... and that's a big BUT... after what she did in HLV, shooting Sherlock and behaving afterwards the way she did everything good she did in the two episodes before left me with a bad taste. All I can think is... everything was a big lie and she acted absolutely selfish.

So what are the nuances then? Can anybody help me deeing them?

Last edited by gently69 (July 9, 2015 9:18 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

July 9, 2015 9:05 am  #1367

gently, I think it's more that we get two different faces. And of course there are nuances within those faces.
But to me the point is that I have serious doubts about her face in TEH and TSoT being real. It appears to be a complete facade. And in HLV she shows her real face. If anything of that sweet and funny and understanding Mary we saw in the first two episodes was real, why wasn't she able to show any of that in HLV, after she shot Sherlock? And no, I don't mean that she should have been sweet and funny then. But if her "I like him" in the cab in TEH was real... where did that go in HLV? And that's just one example. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 9, 2015 9:17 am  #1368

SolarSystem wrote:

But to me the point is that I have serious doubts about her face in TEH and TSoT being real. It appears to be a complete facade. 

That's what I meant with saying it was a big lie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

July 9, 2015 9:24 am  #1369

Yes, I know. 
So then the question is: Are there two 'real' faces? Is one Mary the real one? Or the other Mary? Is there only one real Mary and if so, which one is it? Of course I wouldn't say that if the Mary we see in HLV is the real one, this Mary can't have traces of the one we saw in TEH and TSoT. Thing just is: I don't see those traces. So much for nuances then. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 9, 2015 9:58 am  #1370

It needs a REALLY GOOD explanation to convince me that her face of episodes 1 and 2 is her real face.
All I can see now is: Mary is an assassin and takes no prisoners to reach her goal. She might love John but then it is a selfish love approved by hurting her husband deeply.

(Tony Hadley)

July 9, 2015 12:37 pm  #1371

For all we know neither face we've seen is the "real" face and there could be a third that we haven't guessed at.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 9, 2015 1:13 pm  #1372

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

With the info that we are given about Mary, is there any reason to think of her as Heroic? 

Maybe not heroic, but it's definitely very brave (or suicidal) to ride pillion behind a guy whom you don't know (and vice versa). Besides, "There are no heroes!" - so why should Mary be one?

July 9, 2015 1:19 pm  #1373

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Mary, first and foremost, lied to John about her extremely bloody past-- and it's a past I don't think he would have approved of. She shot John's best friend--to cover up that past. 

I still say, if this was a situation with a man doing the same to his wife, we'd start screaming abuse, and psychopath, and everything else. 

Have you seen Mission Impossible 3? That's exactly what the man - in this case the movie's undisputed hero - does to his fiancée!  And I'm pretty sure that the majority of viewers found the relationship incredibly sweet and romantic...

July 9, 2015 1:38 pm  #1374

have not seen MI3.  Could you discribe the situation in that movie a bit more?

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 9, 2015 1:46 pm  #1375

tonnaree wrote:

For all we know neither face we've seen is the "real" face and there could be a third that we haven't guessed at.

Oh no, tonnaree, don't make it worse.

Last edited by gently69 (July 9, 2015 1:47 pm)

(Tony Hadley)

July 9, 2015 2:01 pm  #1376

Sorry gently. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 9, 2015 2:21 pm  #1377

tonnaree wrote:

have not seen MI3.  Could you discribe the situation in that movie a bit more?

Okay, here is the scenario (read at your own risk - it's a really nice movie, in my opinion much better than the first two, so you might want to watch it instead):

Ethan Hunt is a secret agent, expert in disguise, lots of hi-tech gadgets - a sort of U.S. James Bond. MI3 (almost) starts at a party, Ethan is getting engaged to Julia. Everybody is having a good time, till Ethan is called away because a trainee of his (he's no longer a field agent but now an instructor) has been captured. So he tells Julia, who thinks that he works for the Virginia Department of Transportation, that he needs to go to a conference he had forgotten about. Instead he frees the captured agent, but Keri doesn't survive.

Ethan (and his team) are pissed off and want to catch Owen Davian, the criminal mastermind behind Keri's capture and death, which is the second big adventure (they catch him in the Vatican!). Unfortuanately Davian doesn't stay caught and now he wants revenge. Which he gets by kidnapping Ethan's now wife - sorry, don't remember when exactly he married her - probably before heading off for Rome.

So Ethan now needs to save his wife, which leads to an adventure in Shanghai that ends with him in Davian's hands. Where he frees himself, tracks down his wife, frees her, spends some time "dead" which gives Julia the chance to shoot a few bad guys before resurrecting him - and I really, really love the moment when Ethan wakes up, sees the battle field, asks "You did that?" and gives a respectful nod when Julia confirms.

Reading it like this does not do the movie justice at all, but not at all. MI3 is one of the better - no, one of the best - action movies around, it just never stops and hardly ever slows down - there's no lengths at all. There's a fabulous villain, quite a bit of mystery (there's a bad guy on the inside - but who?) - I can't think of a single thing wrong with this movie. Actually, that's what I'll watch tonight...

July 9, 2015 3:16 pm  #1378

But, we weren't watching Mission Impossible-- we're watching Sherlock. Sherlock is the main character, not Mary. And, Mary (at least at this point) isn't a good-guy spy, she was an assassin! Do we not see a difference?

July 9, 2015 3:19 pm  #1379

Sorry Kitty. But I can't see that as a totally accurate comparasion.  Ethan does keep his entire life as a spy a secret from his wife but it's made clear he's on the side of the "good guys."   We have no absolute evidence one way or another for Mary's past.  Also, and to me the most important difference, Ethan did not try to kill or injure his wife's best friend.  The one person he knows it would devestate her to lose.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

July 9, 2015 3:20 pm  #1380

I am not sure if this is where Moffat finds his inspiration ... if anything I would look at his other work which is why I started a Moffat's women thread. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera