BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 8, 2015 8:41 pm  #1341

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

And again you've only listed the negatives. Nothing of the positives. No nuances. 

(And John was given a choice once he knew the truth - and he made his choice).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 8, 2015 8:43 pm  #1342

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

He didn't get a choice in whom he wanted to marry. He married a lie. (Actually, are they even legally married?)

He didn't marry a lie. He married a woman that he loves! And I think that is a/one fact that counts. Not the only one, and of course Mary is a liar. But she is no lie. I would like to seperate these words.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 8, 2015 8:44 pm  #1343

Because I cannot see much positive about her. I did not like her in the wedding planning scene. I found her condescending. I did not like her very much in TEH when she sided with Sherlock instead of supporting John. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 8, 2015 8:44 pm  #1344

Vhanja wrote:

And again you've only listed the negatives. Nothing of the positives. No nuances. 

(And John was given a choice once he knew the truth - and he made his choice).

In this case I totally agree with you, Vhanja.

July 8, 2015 8:45 pm  #1345

SusiGo wrote:

I do not think they are legally married Mary having used a false name. 

And poor John does not really have a choice. He has been betrayed and must ask himself why he should believe anything at all about their relationship. And another thing - some people mention how wonderful their relationship has been but we do not get to see much of it. And by the beginning of HLV things have started going down the drain IMO. 

Agreed. 

You know, people are still yellin' about Sherlock "betrayed" John by doing the whole TRF thing, and go one about how broken John is from that. Why is it okay for Mary to do essentially the same thing-- actually worse, since she betrayed John in the name of her own self-interest, and Sherlock "betrayed" John to save his, Mrs. Hudson's and Lestrade's lives, plus taking out a criminal empire that was most likely responsible for the deaths of many, many people? 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (July 8, 2015 8:46 pm)

July 8, 2015 8:46 pm  #1346

I could not agree more, Raven. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 8, 2015 8:49 pm  #1347

SusiGo wrote:

I could not agree more, Raven. 

Well, at least I know I'm not crazy! ;-)

July 8, 2015 8:50 pm  #1348

Do you see anyone in this thread, or this forum, yelling about TRF and how broken John is? That isn't relevant for a second in this thread and this forum.

But, again, as I mentioned before: This is not getting anywhere.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

July 8, 2015 8:51 pm  #1349

This is indeed relevant as this very argument has been used within and without the forum to excuse Mary's actions. 

July 8, 2015 8:52 pm  #1350

When talking about nuance-- listing positive.. well, I'm not sure how to do that: Mary shot Sherlock to hide her past from John, but she was very nice and polite about it????

July 8, 2015 8:52 pm  #1351

I haven't, so I don't see the relevance. But as you seem more occupied with refering to some unknown past I don't know about, and patting each other on the back in agreement over how horrible Mary is, this is not fruitful or constructive. So I will leave it here. This thread seems to be more about "Let's be snarky over how horrible Mary is" than anything else, so I will leave it to you as it is.

Team Hudders!

July 8, 2015 8:56 pm  #1352

I hope you know that you keep getting personal, Vhanja. 

July 8, 2015 9:06 pm  #1353

Wow, ladies, come on, it's just a movie character!

July 8, 2015 9:14 pm  #1354

Well, this is a forum dedicated to a fictional tv show. Just saying.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 8, 2015 9:44 pm  #1355

Thank God that at least some people see Mary in a positive light. New book about young Mary and her past (with a happy ending) comes to your bookstores soon:

http://marymorstanismyhero.tumblr.com/post/89594548649/id-really-like-to-read-the-she-gets-away-with

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 8, 2015 9:45 pm  #1356

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

July 8, 2015 9:52 pm  #1357

Just to be clear, I'm really not trying to be snarky or dismissive in any of my comments-- passionate, and sometimes ironic, yes; but absolutely NOT trying to hurt anyone's feelings! 🌻

July 8, 2015 10:01 pm  #1358

nakahara wrote:

Thank God that at least some people see Mary in a positive light. New book about young Mary and her past (with a happy ending) comes to your bookstores soon:

http://marymorstanismyhero.tumblr.com/post/89594548649/id-really-like-to-read-the-she-gets-away-with

that's AWESOME!😁

July 8, 2015 10:46 pm  #1359

Do I need to break out the glitter and confetti?  

Another instance of Mary being about the most divisive character in BBC Sherlock.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

July 8, 2015 10:53 pm  #1360

I've brought ice cream and frozen fruit pops...

Board footera