BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



June 7, 2017 6:32 am  #5141


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

I suppose it also depends on how much they want to hark back.  If they want dramatic, emotional, "close to home" drama for John, then they have Rosie.   And they've kind of used up a couple of the reasons for us not knowing about something in the character's life: Sherlock had amnesia, Mary had a secret life. 

I think "John as client" could be great.  But they did kind of do that in TLD, and made it about the here and now and Sherlock, rather than something from his past. 

But my point is really that we don't need much unless it affects the story.  Sherlock's childhood in TFP was a major part of the story, so yes, we got background and flashbacks.   We've still missed out a whole lot, such as what it was really like after Eurus went, and a big gap between that age and the beginning of ASIP with only the occasional hint of Carl Powers, university, etc.    So why would we want even more backstory for a lesser character like Mary, unless it's part of the story? 

 

June 7, 2017 6:44 am  #5142


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

SusiGo wrote:

I agree. We do not know much about Mary but about we know even less. We have no idea about his family, except Harry, who they always hidden from us. 

And yet that does not feel like the team forgot something. I mean, I would love to learn more about John but wit him it has not been hinted at something that wasn't properly resolved.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q666/Schmiezi/f78f2088-06ef-444c-b254-d9efa841bc19_zps435390b3.png      http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q666/Schmiezi/140545df-e987-4a67-9272-fa8b2742790c_zpsa8b00ed8.png

"Quick, man, if you love me."
 

June 7, 2017 6:53 am  #5143


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

There are actually a few things with John that aren't quite resolved.   But I presume aren't important to the story.   Anything important to the story about Mary was resolved (the main relevant mystery being AGRA).   So I don't think we necessarily needed the detail of other jobs, CIA work, childhood, etc. 

Even Harry, I'm thinking exists purely for the deduction in ASIP.  Her whole "story" is built that - having an ambiguous name, the alcohol problem, the relationship breakdown, etc.   She's been referred to since, but we've never met her and never learnt much more about her.   So that's an example of John's past being used to serve the story - but we don't need to know any more at present. 

 

June 7, 2017 1:18 pm  #5144


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

besleybean wrote:

Possibly John's history is rather dull.

John Watson?
Three Contienants Watson?
Captain in the Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers
Three years in Afghanistan and a veteran of Kandahar, Helmand, and Bart’s bloody Hospital.

I must politely disagree.  http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png

 


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German   http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.gif
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.
http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/736x/aa/2b/35/aa2b352725f4c944599a3ea17cbfe44e.jpg    https://31.media.tumblr.com/bb0f8896a79d19602eeaea0254ff5ccd/tumblr_n5ztxjGDB61stgn3no1_500.jpg
 
 

June 7, 2017 4:47 pm  #5145


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Just an army doctor...not as exciting as a hired assassin.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the
 

June 7, 2017 4:48 pm  #5146


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

But again, I think it might be better as a spin-off, rather than going into great detail in a three episode series.  Mainly because all of that was without Sherlock.  They could do something similar to what they did with Mary and make part of John's past part of the story/case.  Then we could get detailed glimpses of those parts, as we did with Mary.   (For instance, Sholto ended up being part of the story). 

 

June 7, 2017 5:00 pm  #5147


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Liberty wrote:

But again, I think it might be better as a spin-off, rather than going into great detail in a three episode series.  Mainly because all of that was without Sherlock.  They could do something similar to what they did with Mary and make part of John's past part of the story/case.  Then we could get detailed glimpses of those parts, as we did with Mary.   (For instance, Sholto ended up being part of the story). 

I've always thought that having something happen to Harry and Sherlock taking the case would be a fantastic way of getting some background on John.


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German   http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.gif
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.
http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/736x/aa/2b/35/aa2b352725f4c944599a3ea17cbfe44e.jpg    https://31.media.tumblr.com/bb0f8896a79d19602eeaea0254ff5ccd/tumblr_n5ztxjGDB61stgn3no1_500.jpg
 
 

June 7, 2017 5:02 pm  #5148


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

I wonder if Mark and Steven feel the same.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the
 

June 7, 2017 5:03 pm  #5149


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

tonnaree wrote:

Liberty wrote:

But again, I think it might be better as a spin-off, rather than going into great detail in a three episode series.  Mainly because all of that was without Sherlock.  They could do something similar to what they did with Mary and make part of John's past part of the story/case.  Then we could get detailed glimpses of those parts, as we did with Mary.   (For instance, Sholto ended up being part of the story). 

I've always thought that having something happen to Harry and Sherlock taking the case would be a fantastic way of getting some background on John.

Great idea!


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q666/Schmiezi/f78f2088-06ef-444c-b254-d9efa841bc19_zps435390b3.png      http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q666/Schmiezi/140545df-e987-4a67-9272-fa8b2742790c_zpsa8b00ed8.png

"Quick, man, if you love me."
 

June 7, 2017 6:10 pm  #5150


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

I agree ... but that's just what I mean: it's got to be part of the case and relevant to the story (and of course, involve Sherlock).   What we saw with Mary fitted that bill.  And actually, although it wasn't backstory, but current, what we saw with John grieving in TLD did as well (the case was "Save John Watson").   I'd be more than happy to see something similar with John.  But I don't think too much irrelevant background detail is a good idea for either of them.  And certainly, Mary shouldn't have more irrelevant background detail than John!  We only get three hours every few years after all! 

 

June 7, 2017 6:16 pm  #5151


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Hey, don't knock it!
3 hours every few years seems like luxury, right at this moment.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the
 

June 7, 2017 8:02 pm  #5152


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

besleybean wrote:

Possibly John's history is rather dull.

Something tells me that if the producers would ever deign to release his back history, that it would turn out to be anything but dull! =)

 

 

June 7, 2017 8:03 pm  #5153


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

I doubt we'll ever find out...


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the
 

June 7, 2017 8:05 pm  #5154


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

tonnaree wrote:

besleybean wrote:

Possibly John's history is rather dull.

John Watson?
Three Contienants Watson?
Captain in the Fifth Northumberland Fusiliers
Three years in Afghanistan and a veteran of Kandahar, Helmand, and Bart’s bloody Hospital.

I must politely disagree.  http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png

And, I suspect, with a less-than-functional family, growing up.  Among other things, the odds are that Harry was not the only alcoholic in his family!

 

 

June 7, 2017 8:08 pm  #5155


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Liberty wrote:

I agree ... but that's just what I mean: it's got to be part of the case and relevant to the story (and of course, involve Sherlock).   What we saw with Mary fitted that bill.  And actually, although it wasn't backstory, but current, what we saw with John grieving in TLD did as well (the case was "Save John Watson").   I'd be more than happy to see something similar with John.  But I don't think too much irrelevant background detail is a good idea for either of them.  And certainly, Mary shouldn't have more irrelevant background detail than John!  We only get three hours every few years after all! 

But that's the problem: Mary's been given more background detail than John, period!  And as someone pointed out, she's one of the more minor characters, not an important one like Sherlock and John.  I, for one, would like that imbalance to be fixed, and to see a plot set up in which John's own family background and his army background become important, so that they'll have to disclose it.
 

Last edited by kgreen20 (June 7, 2017 8:10 pm)

 

June 7, 2017 8:09 pm  #5156


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Wonder if any of us will get our wishes fulfilled.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the
 

June 8, 2017 11:15 am  #5157


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

kgreen20 wrote:

But that's the problem: Mary's been given more background detail than John, period!  And as someone pointed out, she's one of the more minor characters, not an important one like Sherlock and John.  I, for one, would like that imbalance to be fixed, and to see a plot set up in which John's own family background and his army background become important, so that they'll have to disclose it.
 

I agree wholeheartedly.


-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

http://49.media.tumblr.com/eb0e156f55878fcd6f89dcf91ae89811/tumblr_o0eyyzrphE1spvwrzo2_1280.gif
 

June 8, 2017 11:22 am  #5158


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Same here. I must admit, I have a certain problem with a Holmes/Watson adaptation in which the back story of Watson's wife is more important than his own. 


------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

 
 

June 8, 2017 12:23 pm  #5159


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

SusiGo wrote:

Same here. I must admit, I have a certain problem with a Holmes/Watson adaptation in which the back story of Watson's wife is more important than his own. 

Seconded.
I would trade all of TST for 30 minutes of back story on John.

Of course I also really want to see Martin in camos and a white t-shirt.  http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.png

 


----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German   http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/grin.gif
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.
http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/736x/aa/2b/35/aa2b352725f4c944599a3ea17cbfe44e.jpg    https://31.media.tumblr.com/bb0f8896a79d19602eeaea0254ff5ccd/tumblr_n5ztxjGDB61stgn3no1_500.jpg
 
 

June 8, 2017 12:25 pm  #5160


Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Bad, bad girl. http://cdn.boardhost.com/emoticons/lol.png


------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

http://up.picr.de/28609194so.png

 
 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum