BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 2, 2017 7:59 am  #5061

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Liberty wrote:

besleybean wrote:

I suppose I'm just lucky that my likes more often than not chime with those of the team.

Me too, but I think that's just because I tend to end up liking whatever they give me!   I'm sure if they'd made Mary an archvillain, I'd have loved that too!

Same here! I tend to go where they lead me and adapt to it. I've always been like that when I become a fan of something. I'm thinking that the chance of any writer/creator to write whatever I would prefer to happen in my head is very slim, so to spend too much time hoping for that - or only be happy by that - would be to set myself up to disappointment.

So when I am a fan of something, I love it for what it is. Not for what I want it to be in my head. (I have fanfics for that).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 2, 2017 11:57 am  #5062

From Liberty - "What other woman?  (Genuine question - I just can't think).  Irene was threatening international security, and Eurus was a threat to the world in general, but neither wanted Sherlock dead.   And I can't think of another woman who fits the bill at the moment!"

Regarding Eurus, just wanted to point out that in the scene where they show her as a girl drawing pictures right before she sets the house on fire, we are clearly shown where she has drawn several disturbing things about Sherlock.  Including a headstone with his  name on it and RIP.  Yes, she was a danger to everyone, but she was shown to be focusing on Sherlock.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 2, 2017 4:12 pm  #5063

Yes, which presumably is one of the reasons she was removed...
Glad they are friends by the end!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 2, 2017 4:59 pm  #5064

Yeah, really!  At least she has her family to come visit her now, including Sherlock.  She can never be released, though; she's too big a danger to everyone anywhere but Sherrinford.

June 2, 2017 5:03 pm  #5065

I understand now, thanks!   (Although that wasn't when Mycroft locked her up, was it?  He was still a child himself at the time.   It seems he took over from Uncle Rudi later on, and I got the impression that she was dangerous generally, but you might be right that it was only because he was worried about Sherlock - good point).  However, Eurus was clearly unpredictable, insane and dangerous, in way that Mary was not.    Mary's actions made sense, and were in a particular situation which would not happen again.   Sherlock clearly thought she wasn't a threat, and likely Mycroft would think the same if he knew.   

Anyway, Mycroft doesn't think Mary's a threat, so either he knows and understands, or he doesn't know.   I lean towards the first, but could also accept the second! 

June 2, 2017 10:54 pm  #5066

Liberty wrote:

Personally, I don't feel I need John to have the same reaction to Mary's death as Sherlock's "death".   Two very different situations, two different relationships, etc.   There isn't just one way for grief to be expressed.  And John's reactions continue to be different: after Sherlock's death he's devastated, but calm enough to give that moving little speech at Sherlock's grave.  After Mary's death he completely loses the plot, becomes angry and violent, rejects the people closest to him (Sherlock and Rosie) while clinging to Mary's "ghost" and is generally heading to destruction (hence Mary telling Sherlock he needs to save him).    It's a different and more extreme reaction all round, and the more extreme, animal grief at the point of Mary's death fits with that. 

I agree. And I'm moved / devastated by both of John's grieving scenes.

To the question, if we have been shwon/told all about Mary's "bad" stuff she has done: Good question and I'm not sure yet, although I tend to believe, we are suppoed to know about thw whole thing now.

I also have two explanations/thoughts about why Mary said John wouldn't love her anymore if he found out. One has been explained more or less by others in this thread. The other one is a completely fresh ides that came to my mind while reading through all your posts.But it is late now and to make my thought more valid the best thing would be to rewatch certain scenes.
Feel free to remember me if I should forget to share my thoughts.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

June 3, 2017 7:05 am  #5067

I hope you do share!  I'm very curious to know now. 

Yes, I think we know all we need to know.   The alternative is that the Mary story is not done and that something will be revealed in S5.  I feel that would be dragging out the Mary story a bit too much. 

Another alternative that I don't think I mentioned but had in the back of my mind, is that they'd originally been planning something a little different than the TST story we saw, and there really was something worse at some point, but that they later changed it.    There's quite a gap between S3 and S4, so it's possible. 

June 3, 2017 7:20 am  #5068

Liberty wrote:

Another alternative that I don't think I mentioned but had in the back of my mind, is that they'd originally been planning something a little different than the TST story we saw, and there really was something worse at some point, but that they later changed it.    There's quite a gap between S3 and S4, so it's possible. 

Yes, thst is likely I think. That would also explain the inconsistency in Mary's character and the sudden absence of ambiguity in other parts of the show.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 3, 2017 7:35 am  #5069

Possibly this is because I don't see any inconsistency...
But I'm sorry, I don't think so.
I think even in the recent interviews, the team have been fairly clear that being a former assassin and her past catching up with her, were horrendous enough...no need for anybody to paint Mary any worse than she was: she was neither saint nor sinner.
But she was the love of John's life and mother of his child.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 3, 2017 7:51 am  #5070

I think one thing that is clear, is that we know what AGRA is, and that whatever she'd done that was bad was part of her AGRA work.  So that does answer the questions, of what Magnussen found out about her, going "freelance", even why Mycroft would know if she was safe or not, etc.  There aren't really any loose ends. 

June 3, 2017 7:55 am  #5071

Quite so.

June 3, 2017 9:02 am  #5072

Do we know that the things she did that was bad was the AGRA work? How can that be freelance work if she was hired by the government? 

I am still in the camp of thinking that whatever she did that was "bad", we don't know it yet. I can't see how Mary would think that if John knew that she had been hired by the government to go on a mission to save hostages, he would stop loving her. (That is probably not far from some of the stuff John has done himself, in Afghanistan, come to think of it).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 3, 2017 9:12 am  #5073

I took it AGRA were a freelance team that were hired by the gov.
Well, people have their own morals I suppose...John was an army doctor, whether or not he killed people or just saw others kill- I don't know.
Mary, to all intents and purposes, was a mercenary...I suppose you could argue that all army personnel are 'mercenary'.

June 3, 2017 10:30 am  #5074

Yes, AGRA were freelance.  Or mercenary.  And yes, I think I lot of people would disapprove of that.  They appeared to be a group of people with particular skills who offered their services - and perhaps sometimes it was more convenient and less traceable for the government to use an outside group - until it went wrong.   Perhaps they had been used by other governments and agencies (I tend to think not, just because of the danger of information being shared, but it's certainly possible - and presumably they would have moved on to someone else if the British government had stopped hiring them. 

Anyway, when they have that awful showdown in 221B, from what Sherlock says, she could still be a CIA agent, for instance, rather than a mercenary.   That might be the new information on the AGRA stick that Mary is worried about.   (But it could also just be that she thinks he'll leave her anyway.    She has already said that.   She just doesn't want to watch him reading the information).

If the clue that she's done something else terrible is the "you won't love me" conversation, then it has to be something on the AGRA stick, doesn't it?  And I presume what's on that stick is just about AGRA.   They had all agreed to keep copies and to not betray each other. 

Actually, what John is really bothered about in the end, is that she lied about her name and the initials.   Which is a bit unfair, I think, because she gave him the information and he chose not to look at it! 

June 3, 2017 10:33 am  #5075

Also, some of the comments from the Sherlocked convention, suggested that Moftiss did not have a plan for S5 yet.   If there was going to be a big reveal about Mary, then they would have a plan, wouldn't they?   It looks to me as if they finished off various stuff in S4, including Mary's story. 

June 3, 2017 10:35 am  #5076

For me, TFP clearly finished off everything.

I just hope that 10 years down the line, we meet back up with the guys, continuing their detective consultancy...

June 3, 2017 4:02 pm  #5077

I still remember when Steven and Mark told us that they had plotted out S4 AND S5 at the same time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 3, 2017 4:08 pm  #5078

tonnaree wrote:

I still remember when Steven and Mark told us that they had plotted out S4 AND S5 at the same time.

They did, didn't they? I had it in the back of my mind the whole time!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 3, 2017 4:19 pm  #5079

I remember that, too.
But as I've said before, something has clearly happened: it seems a decision was made that they could not carry on with the uncertainty regarding the 2 leads schedules.
So they wound things up, but in a way that the show could be revisited, somewhere down the line- if they wanted to and people were available.

June 3, 2017 4:26 pm  #5080

I'm glad they made the decision to condense it into one series.  Just in case we don't get S5. 

Board footera