BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 5, 2017 7:12 pm  #4841

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

besleybean wrote:

Well I was one of the people in front  of Steven when he said: no current plans to make anymore for now.

Well of course there are no "current plans."  No one knows when the next time both leads will be free. 
But then, they have NEVER known at the end of any series when the next one would be.  At the end of S2 did they make an announcement "Oh by the way, we'll be filming S3 on such and such a date?"  That's not how Sherlock works.

It just bothers me that so many fans seem convinced that this is the end.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 5, 2017 7:15 pm  #4842

Possibly because so many of the cast and crew have hinted that it might be!
I hope for more one day...but I am sure not holding my breath.
Apart from at the end of S 1,  we always knew we were getting another series...we do not know this now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 5, 2017 7:54 pm  #4843

besleybean wrote:

Possibly because so many of the cast and crew have hinted that it might be!
I hope for more one day...but I am sure not holding my breath.
Apart from at the end of S 1,  we always knew we were getting another series...we do not know this now.

We only knew it would go on half of the time ...

How long after TBG has S2 been announced, by the way?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 5, 2017 8:00 pm  #4844

I'm not sure they even knew for certain that it would continue after S1!  But the difference between S4 and the rest is the others ended in an unresolved way, whereas the end of TFP really feels like an ending, like we're not left hanging. 

May 5, 2017 8:01 pm  #4845

That was my point , we knew at least we were getting a S 3 and S 4...if not when,
We do not know we are getting a S5 at all.
EDIT: sorry Liberty, I did say that after S 1 we did no know if there would be  S2...but since then we have known, except for this time!

Last edited by besleybean (May 5, 2017 8:02 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 6, 2017 6:34 am  #4846

I know you did, BB, but was just answering Schmiezi that I think (if I remember), Moftiss didn't know either - I'm not sure how these things work but I suppose they were waiting to see if it would be recommissioned.  If anything, a cliffhanger ending might help get it recommissioned!   Whereas this time, it's not a problem with commissioning, but with scheduling, so it's likely to be far in the future or never.  So they could end it properly, but in a way that leaves it open if they wanted to pick it up again.

May 6, 2017 7:24 am  #4847

Yes if we all remember, the situation was this:  they were only originally commissioned for S 1, so had to write a cliffhanger at the time they had no idea how to get out of.
So when they were commissioned for S 2, they demanded they be given at least 2 series each time, to avoid the awkward and enforced cliffhanger...which is what they were granted.
So S 2 & 3 were commissioned at the same time.
We were all led to believe that there was the same deal in place for S 4 & S 5.
But then something changed...
And we are still left with the situation where we do not know if we are getting a S 5 at all.

May 6, 2017 1:55 pm  #4848

Back to the question, what was Mary's purpose in the show?
I don't know but I think in the end, she brought them closer together. Strengthened their bonds even further.

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

May 6, 2017 2:14 pm  #4849

I think so, too.

May 6, 2017 4:21 pm  #4850

Rache wrote:

Back to the question, what was Mary's purpose in the show?
I don't know but I think in the end, she brought them closer together. Strengthened their bonds even further.

I think that could have been achieved by other plot devices as well. :-/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 6, 2017 4:22 pm  #4851

Canonical ones?
They had to do Mary, it would have been odd not to.

May 6, 2017 5:03 pm  #4852

But they did not necessarily have to make her part so big. And in a way that many people felt threatened the beloved dynamic between the boys. Which it did. John blaming Sherlock for her death was not necessary at all.

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 6, 2017 5:07 pm  #4853

Well each to their open.
I thought it gave the story great impact.
But we've moved on since then, they boys are fine now.

May 6, 2017 5:42 pm  #4854

besleybean wrote:

Well each to their open.
I thought it gave the story great impact.
But we've moved on since then, they boys are fine now.

And I am so looking forward to seeing more of them being fine in S5 one day. :-)

May 6, 2017 5:43 pm  #4855

You are more hopeful than me.
I have not lost hope, but am prepared for the long waiting game...

May 6, 2017 5:50 pm  #4856

I am an optimistic person. :-D

May 6, 2017 5:51 pm  #4857

That's fine.
But for me I like at least to keep in touch with realism, too!

May 6, 2017 5:55 pm  #4858

besleybean wrote:

That's fine.
But for me I like at least to keep in touch with realism, too!

So do I.

May 6, 2017 6:04 pm  #4859

They didn't HAVE to use Mary.  They choose to, but it wasn't an absolute.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 6, 2017 6:06 pm  #4860

Well they'd banged on for two series about John being a ladies man, so it only made sense to continue the canonical theme and marry him off.

Last edited by besleybean (May 6, 2017 6:06 pm)

Board footera