BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 3, 2017 8:44 pm  #4821

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

I think she's a really good actress.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 3, 2017 9:39 pm  #4822

besleybean wrote:

I was about to reply 'charming'.
But I assume you mean in keeping canonical.

My reasons had nothing to do with canon.  
My dream for the character was for her to be reveled a true villain and die in a dramatic hail of bullets.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 4, 2017 2:50 am  #4823

tonnaree wrote:

besleybean wrote:

I was about to reply 'charming'.
But I assume you mean in keeping canonical.

My reasons had nothing to do with canon.  
My dream for the character was for her to be reveled a true villain and die in a dramatic hail of bullets.

That would have been great! And more consistent with S3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 4, 2017 5:31 am  #4824

But we got a more nuanced version: we got more of her story revealed, but she did really love John and their child.
I think these aspects were more canon consistent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 4, 2017 11:01 am  #4825

Well, in Canon she did not have a child and we did not see anything of Mary Watson after the marriage. She was always away so Watson could solve cases with Holmes. And then she died. Probably. 

However, my problem with BBC Mary is this: she is not a real character at all. She is a plot device that is constantly changing without showing any real development. She is whatever is needed to bring the story forward but in the end she does not have a clearly cut character, she is everything and nothing. Sassy fiancée, lovely bride, badass villain shooting Sherlock, tough special ops agent, crime-solving partner and friend, loving mother, martyr, ghost/conscience, voice from beyond via the DVDs ... it is just too much for me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 4, 2017 11:21 am  #4826

This sums up my feelings pretty well, Susi. She is too many things and hence not a plausible character.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 4, 2017 1:02 pm  #4827

SusiGo wrote:

Well, in Canon she did not have a child and we did not see anything of Mary Watson after the marriage. She was always away so Watson could solve cases with Holmes. And then she died. Probably. 

However, my problem with BBC Mary is this: she is not a real character at all. She is a plot device that is constantly changing without showing any real development. She is whatever is needed to bring the story forward but in the end she does not have a clearly cut character, she is everything and nothing. Sassy fiancée, lovely bride, badass villain shooting Sherlock, tough special ops agent, crime-solving partner and friend, loving mother, martyr, ghost/conscience, voice from beyond via the DVDs ... it is just too much for me. 

THAT'S IT!   The character of Mary was all over the map and I've been trying to put my feelings about that in to words forever.  You nailed it Susi.

Now, I'm going to make what may be a controversial statement. 
I don't care if the show is consistent with canon.
Don't get me wrong, the original stories are amazing and I love them.  After all, they are the reason we have these characters to play with in the first place.  But ACD himself said that we are free to use his world in what ever way amuses us.   The stories of Sherlock Holmes have been adapted and redone in so many ways, each with their own special appeal.

Therefore I don't care that they created the character of Molly or made Irene a dominatrix. 

So, I don't care if Mary died in canon.  In the original stories she could've lived to 90 and had 9 kids with John and I would still wish she had died a villain in the BBC version of Sherlock.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 4, 2017 7:26 pm  #4828

besleybean wrote:

But we got a more nuanced version: we got more of her story revealed, but she did really love John and their child.
I think these aspects were more canon consistent.

I agree, and I much prefer the way they ended her role for that reason.  Mary as a true villain would not have fit into canon at all.  (Of course, neither does her and John having a child, and for that reason, something will have to be done with Rosie if and when they bring out a 5th season.)  They made Mary a flawed character, and I much prefer her as a flawed character than as an evil villain like Moriarty and Smith.  Her death is canon and had to be done for that reason, and now that it has been, I hope that John will return to 221B Baker Street to live, since that is also canon.

Last edited by kgreen20 (May 4, 2017 7:29 pm)

May 4, 2017 7:51 pm  #4829

tonnaree wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

THAT'S IT!   The character of Mary was all over the map and I've been trying to put my feelings about that in to words forever.  You nailed it Susi.

Now, I'm going to make what may be a controversial statement. 
I don't care if the show is consistent with canon.
Don't get me wrong, the original stories are amazing and I love them.  After all, they are the reason we have these characters to play with in the first place.  But ACD himself said that we are free to use his world in what ever way amuses us.   The stories of Sherlock Holmes have been adapted and redone in so many ways, each with their own special appeal.

Therefore I don't care that they created the character of Molly or made Irene a dominatrix. 

So, I don't care if Mary died in canon.  In the original stories she could've lived to 90 and had 9 kids with John and I would still wish she had died a villain in the BBC version of Sherlock.

Indeed. And I am absolutely fine with the fact that Mary died. What I am not fine with is that she died a martyr, that her death was technically impossible, that she returned for a whole episode as a ghost, and that she was given the last word. Sherlock Holmes and John Watson have never been Mary Watson's "Baker Street Boys". In this regard I wish they had stuck to Canon. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 4, 2017 7:52 pm  #4830

I wonder if they would have done it differently, if they weren't wrapping things up.

May 5, 2017 7:37 am  #4831

I do not see what it has to do with wrapping up. Mary could have died in TST. There was no need to resurrect her for two other episodes. I still have the feeling that they wanted to give Amanda more screentime. Not sure if it was wise, in a storytelling sense, but this is what they did. 

May 5, 2017 8:33 am  #4832

besleybean wrote:

I wonder if they would have done it differently, if they weren't wrapping things up.

Why do you think so?

May 5, 2017 1:17 pm  #4833

Can I please just point out that NO ONE has confirmed that this was the last of Sherlock.  It just may be longer than usual before we get any more.  All the people involved love the show and would be happy to make more when the chance arises.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

May 5, 2017 1:39 pm  #4834

Thank you, tonnaree. 

May 5, 2017 2:32 pm  #4835

Yes thank you! <3

May 5, 2017 4:52 pm  #4836

Well I was one of the people in front  of Steven when he said: no current plans to make anymore for now.
But nobody wants to argue about this.
They left the last episode as a kind of end, just in case...
Some of us have surmised that there may at one time have been a  S 5 sketched out and instead they combined(or altered) 2 episodes into one.
I was just wondering if they may have written Mary's contribution slightly differently, if they'd had the luxury of a further episode.

May 5, 2017 5:01 pm  #4837

Like, even longer with even more screen time for Amanda?

No thanks!

May 5, 2017 5:02 pm  #4838

Well for a start it wouldn't have seemed quite so much over 2 episodes and anyway, what's the matter with Amanda?

May 5, 2017 5:13 pm  #4839

besleybean wrote:

Well for a start it wouldn't have seemed quite so much over 2 episodes (...)

Well, then I did not get what you've meant. Didn't you speculate that they have turned two Mary centered episodes into TST?

May 5, 2017 6:16 pm  #4840

No, sorry, we are totally at cross purposes.
I was talking about TFP, well S4 in general.
And no, obviously mathematically: even the same amount of Mary over two series(S4 and S 5),may have felt like less.

Board footera