BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 3, 2017 9:30 am  #4801

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

There are quite a few fans who loved Mary as a character and liked her big part. I don't think we should assume that the fanbase is of a single mind - or single opinion - on this.

This idea just occured to me regarding Inner Mary and DVD-Mary. Seeing as John became part of the deveopment narrative in S4, and strayed to such extremes, he was no longer the "voice of the viewers" as he was before. Could Inner Mary and DVD Mary have taken on that role? Perhaps that was their intention?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 3, 2017 9:36 am  #4802

I never said that there is a single opinion in the fandom or among the critics. But we cannot ignore that reactions to S4 were often not good and that the way the show took regarding Mary was one point of contention (not the only one). The fact that there are more episodes with than without Mary may also have bothered people who liked her in S3 but did not necessarily wish to see her in four more episodes. 

Good point. And while I was not completely happy with the decision to create Inner Mary, there is one thing we should not forget (and this is how I read Inner Mary):

She does not exist. She is dead. Everything we see and hear from Mary in TLD is John. The part of John that loves Sherlock, that does not reject him, that does not blame him, that wants to spend time with him, that is forgiving. Inner Mary is the symbol of John's inner conflict, nothing more, nothing less. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 3, 2017 9:45 am  #4803

I just got the feeling from how it was phrased, that what "people loved" etc. Quite a few also loved the direction it took with Mary. But, yes, of course, many didn't. I personally wouldn't have preferred it, but it is what it is. I enjoy the show for what it is, even if they don't always go the road I would've gone.

And, yes, Inner Mary isn't really Mary. She's just a symbol or device. And it's actually a valuable insight into John's inner thoughts and conflicts. I also liked the little "What?"-thought I got when I first saw her in TLD, and for a second wondered if she was alive after all. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 3, 2017 11:25 am  #4804

I think it is highly interesting that John's inner Mary is so much like the person she pretended to be in the beginning and not the (alleged) super woman she turned out to be in reality.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 3, 2017 11:30 am  #4805

Yeah, I don't think John ever came completely to terms with that.

Team Hudders!

May 3, 2017 4:54 pm  #4806

I'll come back to this, I think, as I'm rushing off, but I wanted to add that actually I think Mary was integral to the plot, especially in HLV and TST.  Much more than I would have expected her to be, in fact.   I agree that she was added because she's in the stories, but I also think she was added to give more of an emotional kick to those episodes (and to TLD as well).   It makes it more personal (to Sherlock and John). 

May 3, 2017 4:56 pm  #4807

I think so, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 3, 2017 4:56 pm  #4808

Vhanja wrote:

There are quite a few fans who loved Mary as a character and liked her big part. I don't think we should assume that the fanbase is of a single mind - or single opinion - on this.

This idea just occured to me regarding Inner Mary and DVD-Mary. Seeing as John became part of the deveopment narrative in S4, and strayed to such extremes, he was no longer the "voice of the viewers" as he was before. Could Inner Mary and DVD Mary have taken on that role? Perhaps that was their intention?

Good point.  I will think about this one!

May 3, 2017 5:06 pm  #4809

Liberty wrote:

I'll come back to this, I think, as I'm rushing off, but I wanted to add that actually I think Mary was integral to the plot, especially in HLV and TST.  Much more than I would have expected her to be, in fact.   I agree that she was added because she's in the stories, but I also think she was added to give more of an emotional kick to those episodes (and to TLD as well).   It makes it more personal (to Sherlock and John). 

And do you think it worked out?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 3, 2017 5:09 pm  #4810

I enjoyed the use of Mary and certainly think it made the series more emotional.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 3, 2017 5:10 pm  #4811

I have never said much on the overall subject of Mary even though I have a lot of opinions.  Need to try and gather my thoughts.

Bottom line though.  I will always be disappointed in how they dealt with Mary in S4.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 3, 2017 5:11 pm  #4812

You mean killing her?

May 3, 2017 5:30 pm  #4813

besleybean wrote:

You mean killing her?

No, that's the one part they got right.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 3, 2017 5:43 pm  #4814

I was about to reply 'charming'.
But I assume you mean in keeping canonical.

May 3, 2017 5:49 pm  #4815

besleybean wrote:

I was about to reply 'charming'.
But I assume you mean in keeping canonical.

I am glad she left the show and don't mind that they chose to kill her off and that is purely because I dislike the character. :-)

May 3, 2017 5:50 pm  #4816

I liked her and so did Sherlock!

May 3, 2017 5:54 pm  #4817

besleybean wrote:

I liked her and so did Sherlock!

Guess I was happier after TST than the two of you then. ;-)

May 3, 2017 5:56 pm  #4818

As I said at the time: never wanted them to do the episode, knew they would, but of course they did it very well.
HLV was so much better for me.

May 3, 2017 6:28 pm  #4819

Schmiezi wrote:

Liberty wrote:

And do you think it worked out?

In retrospect, yes.   I bought into Sherlock killing Magnussen because the people he'd vowed to protect were threatened.   I don't think I'd have felt the same about it if he'd killed him for Lady Smallwood.   TST feels much more pertinent because it involves Mary, rather than some new character.   We start off with what seems to be a crime-solving trio, but actually it's a diversion and Mary becomes part of the plot in a much bigger way.  When Sherlock's almost loses his life, it's much more shocking and dramatic because it's Mary who has shot him rather than an unknown assailant (or a hitman, or whatever).   Mary's death at the end of TST is more moving than if it was a newly introduced client, and much more pertinent because of how it affects Sherlock and John, both individually and in their relationship with each other.  Mary in TLD isn't so much part of the plot as in TST, but she shows us another aspect of John, and I think really helps to illustrate how he deals with grief and what he has lost.  And so on.

I was keen for Mary to go after S3, but I actually think what they did worked very well, and I warmed to Mary more and more in S4. 

May 3, 2017 8:43 pm  #4820

Yeah, I always wanted them to kill of Mary too, and I was glad they did - but to my surprise I cried during her death scene. Amanda did a surprisingly good job. 

Team Hudders!

Board footera