BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 8, 2016 12:44 am  #4621

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

And yet, if it had truly been her intent to kill him, she would have aimed at his head or his heart, and then she would have left him to die.  She is a crack shot, so she would not have missed if she had.

Last edited by kgreen20 (October 8, 2016 12:45 am)

October 8, 2016 8:27 am  #4622

Do you meant there is an ongoing theme of Sherlock dying?  I agree, it has been there right from ASIP, and I'd be surprised if it didn't come up again in S4 (especially with the dying, lying detective!). 

Apart from people being killed by violence, there has also been a more minor theme of terminal illness - Jeff, Emilia and possibly Mycroft (in TAB).  (And also a theme of fake deaths too - Sherlock, Irene, Emilia, and Moriarty is also hinted at). 

Anyway, it's certainly a theme in Sherlock's mind. 

When Mary shoots him specifically, his body is going through the motions of dying, so obviously he feels as if he is.  But I think the other reason he is sure he is dying is because Mary threatens to kill him and shoots him in the chest, much to his surprise.   What we don't know for sure is whether Mary intended to kill him and failed, or whether she intended him to survive.  On the "intended to kill" side is the fact that he virtually died (this is the biggy for me!).   On the other side is the fact that an expert assassin failed to kill at close range, that she didn't make sure perhaps by putting another shot in his head or his heart, but most of all there is Sherlock's deduction.  Sherlock has come to the conclusion that she didn't mean to kill him, and that she phoned an ambulance.   Unless we're given further information (which may come in S4.  Maybe a confession from Mary, or a revelation by Sherlock that he was lying) I think we're left with that.

There was a clue at SDCC I think, was it?  Where Amanda said something about Mary arriving at the hospital expecting Sherlock to be alive.  So unless information was withheld from Amanda (possible) it seems Mary didn't intend to kill him.   In fact her "mistake" was to injure him more gravely than she'd planned. 

Just another point about that post - the writer says that Sherlock was Mary's target (not Magnussen).   But Mary has plenty of reason to want Magnussen dead.   He has threatened her with the telegram, and he has information on her that would lead to her being put away for life, or being killed.   She believed that it's OK for people like her to kill people like Magnussen.   So to me, it absolutely makes sense that she came with the intention of killing him.  She despised him and wanted to look him in the eye and make him squirm before she did it (I believe).    Now, if she'd wanted to kill Sherlock, she could have done that completely unseen at some other time.  Even if she had deliberately set up that whole thing and was certain that Sherlock would come up the stairs without John, etc., she could have just assassinated him without any conversation or threats - it would have been quicker.

October 8, 2016 10:07 am  #4623

Liberty wrote:

Do you meant there is an ongoing theme of Sherlock dying?  I agree, it has been there right from ASIP, and I'd be surprised if it didn't come up again in S4 (especially with the dying, lying detective!). 

No, in this case I was referring to the fact that in the case of the shooting alone death or dying is mentioned twelve times. It is meant to stay in our memory. As are the images of Sherlock crying with pain, writhing on the floor, dragging himself up the stairs. This is what one remembers, at least I do. And we are not meant to forget that. 

As for the shot: we have been over this again and again. If she had shot him in the head, John would have gone immediately after the killer because it would have been obvious that Sherlock was dead. Shooting him in the chest meant John was going to follow his doctor instinct and try to save Sherlock's life. Mary was buying herself time to escape. I do not think she really cared if he died later as long as he stayed alive long enough to distract John. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 8, 2016 10:25 am  #4624

Yes, I think we (the viewers) are meant to think at that point that Mary intended to kill him.  (And Sherlock thinks that at that point too).  Sherlock's deduction is meant to come as a surprise, later. 

Yes, Mary could have tried to delay John (although I imagine John would still have attended to Sherlock, even if he had been shot in the head), but it doesn't explain calling the ambulance.  If we're supposed to believe that she didn't call the ambulance, then it becomes pretty convoluted - in fact, it would make me wonder why the ambulance story was used at all. 

October 8, 2016 10:33 am  #4625

But there is no proof that she called the ambulance except what Sherlock says. We do not see her calling, he could not see or hear her calling, John is not told an ambulance had been called before. There is only the word of a man who probably was unconscious even before he hit the floor.

Sherlock tried to redeem Mary at that point in order to keep John (and himself probably) safe. He offered her an explanation on a silver tray. And she did not even once confirm that this is what happened. We have only Sherlock's word for it. 

The longer I think about this whole thing, the more it makes me long for EMP. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

October 8, 2016 12:04 pm  #4626

I can see why!  But then, I think EMP comes with it's own set of problems. 

I think the ambulance is meant to be part of the deduction.  There isn't really a good reason for Sherlock to add it as a false story to get Mary on his side.  He could have actually told the "surgery" story without that detail.   The point of the ambulance, I think, is it's a clue that helps Sherlock to get to the deduction (rather than a false bit of information to convince Mary). 

As for how Sherlock deduced it, I think he had access to the following information
- the time it takes for an ambulance to arrive
- the time he was shot, the time John arrived at the room and placed the call and the time the ambulance arrived
- he could see what Magnussen was doing while he was conscious and didn't see him calling an ambulance
- John told him that Magnussen was just coming round when he arrived (Sherlock assumes Mary knocked him out, and it wouldn't make sense for her to wait for him to call an ambulance first)
In real life it's implausible, but if you go along with the idea that an ambulance always takes 8 minutes to arrive, then yes, Sherlock could have got hold of the information that would tell him that it must have been called before John arrived.

October 8, 2016 12:56 pm  #4627

In the HLV video on TJLC Explained there is an interesting comparison between the real scene and Sherlock's later retelling of it. And there you can see a clear difference in Magnussen bowing down and to his left where the phone is lying. I will have to check this again but is definitely not the same movement. What we see in the scene and what Sherlock thinks he has perceived is not identical. 

October 8, 2016 2:20 pm  #4628

You were told and you didn't listen!   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

October 8, 2016 3:16 pm  #4629

Yes, I think I read a meta about that, and it's a possibility.  I do think it looks like he's trying to do something with his phone (call the police? Record the conversation?), although it's not clear if it's a clue that he phoned, or just flagging up the presence of the phone for us.  But for this scenario to work, it would mean that Magnussen called the ambulance, pretended to have been knocked out, then did not say that he'd called the ambulance because he predicted that Sherlock would invent the ambulance story to falsely reassure Mary.   It also means that Sherlock knew Magnussen called the ambulance, but decided it would have been possible for Mary to do so too, and that pretending that she had would be safer.  It means that either John isn't in on it and falls for the ambulance scenario because of Magnussen's acting, or that John IS in on it, and so knows Magnussen was acting and fakes suprise through Sherlock's story.  And that Mary somehow falls for this.  

Although the obvious scenario (that Mary called and Sherlock deduced that) is a bit of a stretch, it's a simpler explanation.   Sherlock clearly doesn't think of Mary as a risk later (either for the rest of HLV or in TAB, which shows his subconscious view of her.  She doesn't seem to be a threat to them, and in fact, Sherlock ends up protecting her). 

In a way, they've left it open, because we never do get Mary's point of view here.  But to hinge the already farfetched ambulance story on whether or not Magnussen was reaching for the phone, makes it kind of silly.  And in the end, it doesn't really matter.  It's a fact that she shot Sherlock and he almost died, but didn't.  Sherlock could have used that fact either way - to prove that Mary meant to kill him, or to prove that she meant him to survive. 

I am SO happy that they appear to be giving us some background on Mary in S4, which will hopefully be very revealing, but I hope they do it well. 

Last edited by Liberty (October 9, 2016 8:26 am)

October 8, 2016 5:05 pm  #4630

Me, too!  If they do, then we will know one way or the other at that point.

October 9, 2016 8:31 am  #4631

Yes.  Neither story really adds up properly, and I do think S4 will let us know for sure.   Even if they don't go over this part again (and I kind of hope they don't, because I've never liked the fact that it hinges on those two things - Sherlock's almost-death and ambulance timing.  I've said from the beginning that it doesn't really make sense to assume that Mary didn't mean to kill, when she virtually did kill him - but then the rest doesn't make sense otherwise), at least I hope we'll understand more about Mary's intentions and motivations.  She's still very much a mystery.

October 9, 2016 6:41 pm  #4632

I'm convinced that she would have aimed right at his head or his heart if she had intended to murder him, and she is too good a shot to miss if she had done so.  But you're right--there is so much that does not add up, which I hope that Season 4 will clear up.

October 12, 2016 11:08 pm  #4633

Hmmm.  I don't think Mary is a nasty person at all.  Quite the contrary.  I do think she's a dangerous person, as Sherlock is, and apparently (from both CAM's comments on her and Sherlock's deduction) she has "gone rogue" as an intelligence agent and maybe done some things on her own similar to what Sherlock eventually does.  However, it's clear she loves John deeply.  She may have lied about her name and her past, but that part was not a lie. In CAM's office, she does not take the obvious solution of killing both Sherlock and CAM and sneaking out, because she knows John is in the office and doesn't want him becoming a suspect.  Instead, she puts herself in serious danger by leaving both CAM and Sherlock alive and in possesion of her secret.  In the abandoned house, Sherlock asks her, "Why didn't you come to me in the first place?"  Mary's reply is, "Because John can never know I lied to him.  It would break him, and I would lose him forever, and I will never let that happen. . . .  Sherlock?  Please understand, there is nothing I would not do to stop that happening."  (Except apparently there is.)  In the apartment, "If you love me, don't read it in front of me. . . .   Because you won't love me when you've finished, and I don't want to see that happen."  Technically, she says she doesn't want John to stop loving her.  Why not?  Because she loves him.  They are estranged for months, but she doesn't leave.  When they have it out at Sherlock's parents' house, she is completely bowled over by the grace he shows her.  "You don't even know my name."  "Is Mary Watson good enough for you?"  "Yes.  Oh my God, yes!"  "Then it's good enough for me."  Mary already loved John.  Now, with the truth, she is free to be his full friend and partner and lover and wife, as well as being free to join in the fun with him and Sherlock without their wondering how she came by her abilities.  I am really looking forward to Season 4.

Last edited by cmb711 (October 12, 2016 11:17 pm)

October 13, 2016 7:41 am  #4634

Unless there are (more)major surprises coming...that's more or less how I've always seen Mary.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 13, 2016 7:43 am  #4635

@cmb711: Knowing the show, I am very, very sure that there is one thing that is never going to happen: Mary joining the fun. You may laugh at me in January, but as for now I hold my conviction that his is never going to happen. 

October 13, 2016 7:56 am  #4636

Personally, I hope I wouldn't laugh at anybody, but anyway...
Of course it doesn't help seeing Setlock, unless we have been lied to or we are totally misunderstanding...
Possibly it is best just to watch the darn show!
But then, we all see things we either feel have been dealt with- or in fact are being set up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 13, 2016 7:58 am  #4637

@cmb711 I always find it interesting to learn about how you can like Mary as a "goodie". I wonder how you judge her motive for shooting Sherlock.

For me, it was a purely selfish act to keep herself happy together with John. Well, happy for her. She has seen how Sherlock’s death has affected John before and risks him going through all that grief again. What do you think of that?

Last edited by Schmiezi (October 13, 2016 11:37 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 13, 2016 7:59 am  #4638

I am going to leave out setlock here because of spoilers but nothing in 10 episodes makes me believe that a crime-solving threesome is a remote possibility for a whole series or the rest of the show. 

October 13, 2016 8:01 am  #4639

Oh I definitely agree with you on the whole show part.
No, I think it will be a one off and then Mary is blown away...that is my feeling.

October 13, 2016 8:06 am  #4640

besleybean wrote:

Oh I definitely agree with you on the whole show part.
No, I think it will be a one off and then Mary is blown away...that is my feeling.

Sounds good to me. ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera