BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 10, 2016 9:29 am  #4601

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

besleybean wrote:

I agree.  Mary and Sherlock are both murderers .

Right, only with opposed motives.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 10, 2016 9:37 am  #4602

I do know what you mean.
But that kind of thing always makes me laugh and I have to stop myself from saying: you mean as in not wanting the person to be dead?
Also, I don't suppose the motive matters to the victim! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 10, 2016 9:50 am  #4603

Well, did Mary want Sherlock dead? I'd say yes, others surely disagree.

I meant of course that Mary shot Sherlock to keep herself save while Sherlock shot Magnussen to keep John and Mary save.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

September 10, 2016 9:57 am  #4604

Oh yes I know and I can't really blame her for wanting to be safe.
But Mary shot Sherlock. She could never be charged for that murder in any court in the land. Attempted murder at the most.
I was referring to Mary's past work, some of which may be classed as murder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

September 30, 2016 10:54 am  #4605

This is quite interesting regarding Sherlock's explanation that Mary did not shoot CAM because John might have become a suspect. Here is a quote from Amanda:

"The gun I used was the gun that Daniel Craigused in Skyfall. It was purely coincidental. Lee, this wonderful firearms guy, taught me to fire it, said, “You know that’s James Bond’s gun.” I was like, “Don’t say that!” I was walking around going, “I’ve got a Walther PPK.” It’s brilliant."

John's gun has been identified as a Sig Sauer P226R described here: 
http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Sherlock#SIG-Sauer_P226R.

There is something like ballistics, right? Something the original Sherlock Holmes was very expert in, right? So how would anyone suspect John of shooting Magnussen if it had not been done with his gun - provided anyone knew he owned it in the first place? Even if Mary had left the gun in the office, it would still have been the wrong one AND without John's finger prints on it. 
Everyone who has ever seen a crime show or read a crime novel knows this much. So this was really not the reason Mary did not shoot Magnussen. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 30, 2016 10:55 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 30, 2016 4:07 pm  #4606

I actually don't know why she didn't shoot him...but Sherlock did the job for her!

September 30, 2016 4:12 pm  #4607

Yes, but the question is why Sherlock told this ridiculous story at all. John is a soldier, he knows how to identify guns. But because of the missing months we do not know if he believed Sherlock or not. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 30, 2016 4:14 pm  #4608

I assume John would believe Sherlock...maybe we'll find out.

September 30, 2016 4:24 pm  #4609

Remember: John is smarter than he looks. Pretty damn smart. 

September 30, 2016 4:59 pm  #4610

Oh I wasn't questioning John's intelligence.

September 30, 2016 5:04 pm  #4611

Yes indeed, it is a beauty!

September 30, 2016 5:07 pm  #4612

I've never thought it quite adds up, but then the whole thing doesn't quite add up.  The trouble is that it's difficult to tell what's deliberate clues, and what is just storytelling (and even what is just a mistake!).   The tie switch seemed like a subtle, but kind of obvious clue, but turned out to just be a wardrobe error. 

Anyway, I think that Mary (or Sherlock thinks that Mary) only wants John to temporarily not be a suspect.  Eventually he would have been cleared when Sherlock came round and was a witness, and I don't think Sherlock would have gone so far as to protect Mary at John's expense (although he DID go quite far to protect Mary).   Meanwhile, John would have looked very suspicious, carrying an illegal weapon, even if it was the wrong one after ballistics reports.  He might surely have lost his job and possibly his registration.

September 30, 2016 5:17 pm  #4613

There's also the fact that it wouldn't have been much of a story if Mary had killed Magnussen - or it would have been a different story, at least.  

And as for John believing Sherlock, it looks like he does, I think.   He's emotional at 221B, but he doesn't seem to really question what Sherlock is saying - he seems to see it as the truth. 

October 7, 2016 6:54 am  #4614

Here is quite a long and detailed new analysis about the medical and ballistic aspects of Mary's shot:

http://fandom-cluing-for-looks.tumblr.com/post/149891611079/the-surgery-of-his-last-vow-agras-killing-shot

October 7, 2016 10:02 am  #4615

Yes, it is incredibly detailed and deliberate. And more evidence for those who think the surgery explanation is improbable, to put it mildly. 

October 7, 2016 5:25 pm  #4616

Brilliant post!  I love that it covers so many aspects and possibilities.   There are a few things I would like to discuss further (in fact, quite a lot so this might end up being more than one post!).

Mary planning to kill Sherlock at Leinster Gardens ... actually, that confrontation was engineered by Sherlock.   It's not clear what Mary planned to do - she could have planned to kill (and Sherlock thought it was a possibility, so he used the projection), or could have taken it for self-protection.   But if her main aim was to kill Sherlock, she had numerous opportunities from the moment he appeared back on the scene, and particularly in hospital.   It is never explained why she waited around for Sherlock to construct such a complicated set-up - or even why she waited for the unlikely meeting in Magnussen's office.   Why set that up, and risk being found by John? 

October 7, 2016 5:31 pm  #4617

Next point, in no particular order ... the idea that Sherlock believed Mary was planning to kill him and was trying to disarm her.   I do think he wanted to disarm her, but I don't think he believed she would shoot him.  I think initially he is sympathetic towards her in the way he would have been sympathetic to Lady Smallwood, had it been her.  He seems more put out that she didn't come to him in the first place, and I think at that point, if he thinks of it all, he assumes her "secret" is something along the lines of Lady Smallwood's, and I'm sure he sympathises with her desire to kill Magnussen (whom he despises) even if he wants to stop her doing it.   I think it's only at the moment she shoots him that he realises he has misinterpreted. 

October 7, 2016 5:35 pm  #4618

Next point ... the idea that the flash drive contains information that Mary had accepted a contract to kill Sherlock.   I don't think this is far-fetched at all.  In fact, I'm thinking and hoping that something like this will be revealed.  

October 7, 2016 5:47 pm  #4619

Now the medical explanation for the injury and whether it was likely to be surgery or not, actually doesn't matter.   The big, huge, glaring point is that Sherlock virtually died.  Which kind of makes nonsense of the whole surgery explanation.  However, all of them have access to that information ... Sherlock uses it in making his deduction about the surgery and John appears to believe it.   So somehow, in their universe, we're supposed to think that this is reasonable.   

Of course, the writer believes that this is a plot by Sherlock and John, perhaps to reasssure Mary.   However, Sherlock's surgery explanation hinges on the even more implausible idea that an ambulance would take exactly 8 minutes to arrive.   John appears to believe it, which is a huge stretch, but of course, he could be playing a long.   However, Mary appears to believe it too - or at least, it's not a huge giveaway to her that Sherlock is setting up a fake story to falsely reassure her.   And so it doesn't work - it's such a ludicrous explanation, that it's not one that Sherlock would use to deceive Mary, and it's not one that Mary would be deceived by.   The only way I can see this is that in the universe of the show, this is an explanation which makes sense to all of them (and Sherlock believes it to be true).  I'm sorry, I didn't explain that well at all, but hopefully you can see what I'm getting at. 

In other words, if you believe that John wouldn't believe the surgery explanation, then how can you believe that Mary would believe that John and Sherlock believe the ambulance explanation?

Last edited by Liberty (October 7, 2016 7:19 pm)

October 7, 2016 8:11 pm  #4620

Good analysis, Liberty. You know I have this pet theory that would answer a lot of these questions. 

And now for something different. Or not so different? You know when something is repeated over and over again until it takes root in your mind? Or to quote Sherlock: 
“You can’t kill an idea, can you? Not once it’s made a home there.” 
Look at this: 

Oh, Sherlock, if you take one more step I swear I will kill you.
You’re almost certainly going to die, so we need to focus.
So, come on – what’s going to kill you?
What was directly behind you when you were murdered?
It’s the next thing that’s going to kill you.
They’re putting me down too, now.
Death.
Sherlock is dying.
We’re losing you.
Just die, why can’t you?
One little push, and off you pop.
You’re gonna love being dead, Sherlock.

They are telling us no less than twelve times that Sherlock is dying. 

Board footera