BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 7, 2016 7:00 am  #3641

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Schmiezi, I think that's an excellent point, and the main reason I can think for leaving out the information is that there's going to be something more in S4, something we don't know about yet. 

I have wondered if another reason was just to keep things open from a writing point of view - at the moment, we don't know anything about Mary's background, where's she's from, what her name(s) were, who she worked for (apart from one organisation), all the details of what was true and what wasn't (did she train as a nurse?), who she assassinated, what she knows, who is in her past - it leaves it open to write almost anything they want as long as it ticks the boxes for approximate age, assassin background, etc.!  

But that's being cynical, and they do plan quite far ahead, don't they?   So must have had an idea of what they're going to show in S4.  In other words, I suspect Mary's story might not be finished - that she's not there as a sidekick in S4, but that she turns out to be a plot point, as in S3.  (But that's speculation on my part, of course).

However ... I think that at the moment, between S3 and S4 we are meant to think that Sherlock and John forgive her.  And the things they forgive her for seem to be the shooting and for lying to John, rather than being an assassin - they don't even explore that.   The information about the CIA and so on is revealed at Appledore, and shortly after Sherlock still goes ahead and kills Magnussen in Mary's name. 

@Nakahara, I think she almost is presented in that way up until the shooting - we don't suspect her, but there are clues that she's not what she seems, and that could have led Sherlock discovering she was a villain, which is what seems to happen when he is shot.   But the story continues beyond that, Sherlock's deduction ends up showing something different, and she becomes a client instead. 

Last edited by Liberty (May 7, 2016 8:00 am)

May 7, 2016 7:23 am  #3642

Interesting points. And I am quite sure that Mary's past will become important again for several reasons, e.g. the so far unexplained connection between her and Mycroft as imagine (or presented as real) in TAB

But there is something else I have been thinking about for quite some time: Sherlock shoots Magnussen in the head because this is where the information on Mary is. But how can we be sure that this is enough? She has in all probability killed more than one person, people who have friends, family, associates, colleagues, co-conspirators, make your choice. And we are to assume that Magnussen was the only link between them and Mary? Not very likely, if you ask me. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 7, 2016 7:24 am  #3643

I think what Mark Gatiss said was interesting on how Mary was presensented - that they loved pulling that rug..
Then he went on to say She’d just have shot Magnussen, gone back to being Mrs. Watson – and not only that, they’d have carried on solving crimes together, with this lethal killer nurse wandering along behind them, picking off anyone who might put them in danger. 

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

May 7, 2016 7:31 am  #3644

Tbh, I think this is quite a depressing scenario. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 7, 2016 7:36 am  #3645

I have a feeling Gatiss and Moffat are going to draw on canon for Mary's family and background, somehow combining what we have been given already (her assassin identity) with the character of Mary from The Sign of Four. Has anyone read that meta theory abut Mary and the Waters gang? I found it quite plausible, and we never did find out if the bank robbers were caught, so there is a dangling plot thread right there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 7, 2016 7:38 am  #3646

But the way Mark says that, it could imply that the boys continue to work together...Mary won't necessarily be with them. People will disappear, they'll both look at Mary and know it was her!
But one of my points in this whole debate is, I don't really know why people get so heated about Mary and what she has and hasn't done, because I don't honestly think she's going to be around that long.
As long as John feels whatever time he had with her was worth it and I'm sure he will.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 7, 2016 7:39 am  #3647

To me MG seems to be describing a classic psycopathic killer who doesn't let morality or conscience bother them.
It is a bit depressing like some kind of Carry on killing film 
They do like black humour though.
My guess is next time Mary will get caught beyond what can be covered up - or killed herself . As with Mrs Hudsons hubby.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

May 7, 2016 7:43 am  #3648

To me it's always been obvious that that the way Mary will leave the show, is because of her past catching up with her.
Though I believe she is trying to put that past behind her, because she genuinely loves John.
But it would be nice, if her death is some kind of self-sacrifice...to save one she loves.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 7, 2016 7:49 am  #3649

Mothonthemantel wrote:

To me MG seems to be describing a classic psycopathic killer who doesn't let morality or conscience bother them.
It is a bit depressing like some kind of Carry on killing film
They do like black humour though.
My guess is next time Mary will get caught beyond what can be covered up - or killed herself . As with Mrs Hudsons hubby.

Yes, of course we have the mirror of Mrs Hudson and her husband. As we had her and chief bridesmaid Margaret as mirrors for John and Sherlock. This is giving me hope. 

May 7, 2016 7:53 am  #3650

Well I don't think Mary will be executed...unless she's extradited.
Also, Mrs H wanted shot of her husband and I certainly don't think John wants shot of Mary.

May 7, 2016 8:13 am  #3651

SusiGo wrote:

Interesting points. And I am quite sure that Mary's past will become important again for several reasons, e.g. the so far unexplained connection between her and Mycroft as imagine (or presented as real) in TAB

But there is something else I have been thinking about for quite some time: Sherlock shoots Magnussen in the head because this is where the information on Mary is. But how can we be sure that this is enough? She has in all probability killed more than one person, people who have friends, family, associates, colleagues, co-conspirators, make your choice. And we are to assume that Magnussen was the only link between them and Mary? Not very likely, if you ask me.

Yes, realistically if Magnussen knew, then other people surely knew something (i.e. he got the information from other people - although it's possible that he was the only one to put the information together).   I think that possibly she might be even more at risk from being an agent than an assassin.  She might know too much.  But as far we know, at the moment, Magnussen was the only person who was threatening to have her killed/to use that information.

I also wonder if hanging out with Sherlock puts her more at risk, especially as he is in the public eye (and sometimes involved in international crime-fighting, etc.).  Anybody who does a background check on Sherlock's nearest and dearest would find what Sherlock found very easily (the fake ID). 

May 7, 2016 8:18 am  #3652

Here's a thought.
Do we think there is a possibility the government may take out one of their own, or do away with Mary for some other reason?

May 7, 2016 10:23 am  #3653

I hadn't thought of that, Besleybean, but I'm sure it's possible.  And that would put Mycroft in an interesting position ... what if he was even involved in ordering it?  There was a lot about the Sherlock/Mycroft relationship in TAB and a feeling that they might be setting something up there  - we talked about them setting up Mycroft's death, but what if it's something else?  If Mycroft ordered Mary's death, it would put a very poignant slant on everything in HLV, particularly towards the end (Sherlock shooting Magnussen, and Mycroft's involvement). 

May 7, 2016 11:16 am  #3654

Yes, too:
Could Mary die on a mission from Mycroft, or even trying to protect Mycroft?

May 7, 2016 6:24 pm  #3655

besleybean wrote:

But the way Mark says that, it could imply that the boys continue to work together...Mary won't necessarily be with them. People will disappear, they'll both look at Mary and know it was her!

What moral right would they have to pursue other murderers? If they would tolerate this one and turn blind eye to her?

It makes them amoral even now that they shield the murderer from justice - but this would make them sink to the very bottom.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 7, 2016 6:34 pm  #3656

Well I know it's not a competition, but Sherlock's already a murderer, too. Even Mycroft has sanctioned minions taking people out...that's what they do.
Anyhow, I don't necessarily see it that way, may just have been one of Mark's little jokes.

May 7, 2016 6:43 pm  #3657

besleybean wrote:

Well I know it's not a competition, but Sherlock's already a murderer, too. Even Mycroft has sanctioned minions taking people out...that's what they do.
Anyhow, I don't necessarily see it that way, may just have been one of Mark's little jokes.

What kind of comparison is that? 
As you said in your previous post it was suggested that Mary would continue killing people and John and Sherlock would know if people disappear, but they´ll do nothing about it, because it´s Mary...
Now is that something that can be said about Sherlock? He would continue shooting people into their heads because he shot Magnussen once? He would dislike somebody and BOOM? Or Mycroft? He would kill people for money in the name of British Government? And everybody would just smile and shrug their shoulders because that´s what Holmes brothers do?
Of course not - therefore they cannot ever be compared that way.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 7, 2016 6:47 pm  #3658

Liberty wrote:

I suppose it's a bit like James Bond: by definition, he's a murderer, and you could clearly disapprove highly of what he does, but he isn't presented as a murderer ... you're not really meant to think of him as "James Bond, murderer", but as an agent, and a hero, if anything, rather than a villain.  And of course, you're still free to think that whay he does is wrong, but that's not the same thing as saying that the film-makers are presenting him in that way. 

James Bond can only be understood as a hero if you are British... he certainly isn´t presented as a hero to the members of other nations he gleefully massacres onscreen. 

May 7, 2016 6:50 pm  #3659

But Sherlock is a British show.
Possibly you haven't heard the commentary, where Mark and Steven laugh hysterically when Sherlock shoots CAM!

May 7, 2016 6:52 pm  #3660

It is one thing to laugh about it in the commentaries, in their inner circle. But you do not really believe that the audience is expected to laugh about that, do you?

Board footera