BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 6, 2016 3:44 pm  #3621

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

Which individuals have been discussed?
I haven't noticed any individuals being discussed.
I also don't see anybody presenting anything either as black and white nor right or wrong.
I think we are all very aware there is a range of views on the forum.
Expressing an opinion is not being being mean.
I had an individual on here call my post rubbish.
Not one word was said about it.
I don't mind,but it was noted.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 6, 2016 4:06 pm  #3622

This thread is very useful when is comes to passionate discussion of opposing opinions:http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=6107 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

May 6, 2016 4:25 pm  #3623

As a mod, my note was addressed to the entire forum and meant to address the subject in an overall manner.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 6, 2016 5:39 pm  #3624

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

I'm just not convinced that she's actually being presented as a cold-blooded murderer (or a serial killer).  

With the information we have on her, how do you perceive her?

There's very little information, and what we have is not corroborated.   So all I've got to go on is what (I think) is being presented to us.   There's something about the story that's the wrong way round, if it was meant to present Mary as a murderer/serial killer.  I think if they were showing us that, there would be murders, and eventually Sherlock would deduce that Mary was the killer.   But this way round - we see Mary shoot (apparently to kill) first, we have to assume she's an evil murderer (as does Sherlock, at first), but then Sherlock's deductions give a different kind of story and a different slant on the character. 

May 6, 2016 5:59 pm  #3625

Liberty wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

I'm just not convinced that she's actually being presented as a cold-blooded murderer (or a serial killer).  

With the information we have on her, how do you perceive her?

There's very little information, and what we have is not corroborated.   So all I've got to go on is what (I think) is being presented to us.   There's something about the story that's the wrong way round, if it was meant to present Mary as a murderer/serial killer.  I think if they were showing us that, there would be murders, and eventually Sherlock would deduce that Mary was the killer.   But this way round - we see Mary shoot (apparently to kill) first, we have to assume she's an evil murderer (as does Sherlock, at first), but then Sherlock's deductions give a different kind of story and a different slant on the character. 

It's been a White since I last watched HLV, but is it not said that she was / is an assassin  (=she killed people = she is a murderer)?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 6, 2016 6:45 pm  #3626

But I don't feel she's being presented as a murderer (i.e. the baddie in a case), for the reasons above.  Compare her to the cabbie in ASIP - we're given the murders, then find out who the murderer is.   With Mary, we see her as a murderer first, and then doubt is cast on that.  She's presented as an assassin and an agent, rather than as a murderer, and becomes the client instead of the villain. 

(And yes, she's killed people, but we're shown that John has killed, and are even shown Sherlock killing her target in the same episode.  It seems odd to try to align them that way, if we're meant to see her as an antagonist and a villain.  And we are not, so far, given an evil motive - her motives are still mysterious). 

May 6, 2016 6:55 pm  #3627

Liberty wrote:

She's presented as an assassin and an agent, rather than as a murderer,

Where is the difference between an assassin and a murderer?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May 6, 2016 6:57 pm  #3628

Maybe I am naive but is there a good motive for professionally killing people? She was not a soldier which would have been something different again.

As for being a murderer: I think the general definition of murderer is a person who wilfully kills one or more people. This is what differentiates a murder from acts like manslaughter or murder by negligence. Killing people for money or because an agency of government regards them as undesirable does not change anything about the fact that you kill them wilfully and therefore should be regarded as a murderer. The problem again is that we do not know anything except that even a man like Magnussen regards her past as bad which is saying something. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 6, 2016 7:49 pm  #3629

But do you feel she's being presented as a murderer?  Or are you just talking about whether the characters have wilfully killed anybody?  Sherlock has murdered somebody, but there's no way that I see him being presented as a murderer.   I understand that people do think she's being presented in this way, and that we're meant to be convinced that she's a villain, but I don't think it works well for the reasons above. 

May 6, 2016 7:57 pm  #3630

I suppose it's a bit like James Bond: by definition, he's a murderer, and you could clearly disapprove highly of what he does, but he isn't presented as a murderer ... you're not really meant to think of him as "James Bond, murderer", but as an agent, and a hero, if anything, rather than a villain.  And of course, you're still free to think that whay he does is wrong, but that's not the same thing as saying that the film-makers are presenting him in that way. 

May 6, 2016 8:02 pm  #3631

The more I think of it I feel she's somehow not presented as anything so far. She gets character traits that are needed in the very scene, e.g. being clever, funny, threatening, beautiful, snarky, strong, "my girl", outsmarting Mycroft, pretty again....where are her character strengths? What are her weaknesses? What made her the way she is?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 6, 2016 8:11 pm  #3632

Will we ever find out?
I do however think she loves John and he loves her in return.
Sherlock seems to genuinely like her, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 6, 2016 8:18 pm  #3633

Yes, I've noticed that myself.  And I agree that she is not being presented as a murderer, nor that she was deliberately trying to kill Sherlock in that scene.

May 6, 2016 8:50 pm  #3634

@ Mrshouse, very true, and I'm hoping we get more answers in S4. 

May 6, 2016 9:09 pm  #3635

I wonder if Mary could be "properly" presented as the murderer in the series in the way you are speaking about, Liberty. I mean - if she was presented as anything else than a cute housewife before the shocking reveal in HLV, it would spoil the surprise.... So?  

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 6, 2016 9:21 pm  #3636

Well there were clues she had secrets, then we learned she was an assassin, she may work for Mycroft...not sure how much more we will get.

May 7, 2016 5:53 am  #3637

Errr.... An assassin is  person who kills someone (such as a famous or important person) usually for political reasons or for money. 

If it was just secret agent government sanctioned killings for Queen and Country, Mary wouldn't have to worry about going to prison for the rest of her life!
Full Definition of assassin
[list=a]
[*]1capitalized :  a member of a Shia Muslim sect who at the time of the Crusades was sent out on a suicidal mission to murder prominent enemies
[*]2:  a person who commits murder; especially :  one who murders a politically important person either for hire or from fanatical motives
[/list]

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (May 7, 2016 5:54 am)

May 7, 2016 5:56 am  #3638

mrshouse wrote:

The more I think of it I feel she's somehow not presented as anything so far. She gets character traits that are needed in the very scene, e.g. being clever, funny, threatening, beautiful, snarky, strong, "my girl", outsmarting Mycroft, pretty again....where are her character strengths? What are her weaknesses? What made her the way she is?

Great post. Spot on.

May 7, 2016 6:11 am  #3639

Just a thought:

I always say that it would have been easy for the writers to portrait Mary in a way that helped everybody to forgive her: let her show honest remorse afterwards, let her say sorry in the redemption scene, give us more background to understand her.
(And please don't just argue that they showed enough of it because apparently they didn't, or else we would not discuss her like that.)

After reading some of the posts from the last days, I cannot help to think that the writers could just as easily have included a few things to makes everybody remain unforgiving: tell us about the things that will make John stop loving her, give us visuals of her other crimes.
(And please don't just argue that they showed enough of it because apparently they didn't, or else  we would not discuss her like that.)

My conclusion: the writers did not want to make clear if she should really be forgiven or not.

The question now is why? In my mind, it makes no sense to leave the ambiguity if they simply intend to keep her in the show as part of the crime solving trio.

What do you think?

May 7, 2016 6:58 am  #3640

I don't know if Mary is bad or good or something in between, I just feel that all is not as it seems. I think they are saving it all for series 4 and we will have (some) answers when we see the new episodes 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera