BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 4, 2016 11:01 am  #3541

Re: Mary – the subject of discussion

I do not see a single caring moment in Mary in the whole of HLV. At least not until the tarmac and I am not sure about that either. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 4, 2016 11:16 am  #3542

SusiGo wrote:

I do not see a single caring moment in Mary in the whole of HLV. At least not until the tarmac and I am not sure about that either. 

What about Mary comforting her neighbour at the beginning of HLV? And what about TEH and TSoT? There were a lot of loving, caring moments from her - at least I can see them. That's probably the whole problem, if someone detest a character to such extend as some here does, it's almost impossible to see any good moments she had (or one tend to interpreting everything as malice). Like Vhanja I prefer a more differentiated perspective on a character.

Last edited by stoertebeker (May 4, 2016 11:20 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 4, 2016 11:28 am  #3543

stoertebeker wrote:

What about Mary comforting her neighbour at the beginning of HLV? And what about TEH and TSoT? There were a lot of loving, caring moments from her - at least I can see them. That's probably the whole problem, if someone detest a character to such extend as some here does, it's almost impossible to see any good moments she had (or one tend to interpreting everything as malice). Like Vhanja I prefer a more differentiated perspective on a character.

Yes, my thoughts exactly.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 4, 2016 11:30 am  #3544

stoertebeker wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

It is also possible to re-evaluate your opinion of a character based on new information.  For me, when she shot Sherlock, that put every caring, nice thing she did in the first two episodes into question.  I could not trust her anymore.  I have seen nothing yet on the show that can restore my trust in her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 4, 2016 11:36 am  #3545

stoertebeker wrote:

Yes, Mary patted the back of her neighbour comfortingly when she was crying. But right after, she tried to prevent John from helping this neighbour when he decided to find her son for her. In my eyes, this makes her kindness in that scene a bit dubious.

Mary´s kindness from TEH and TSOT, on the other hand, was invalidated for me when we discovered that whole Mary´s indentity is fake. With this knowledge in mind, her kindness could well be a mask and who knows what she was thinking or doing behind John´s and Sherlock´s back where she was not wearing a disguise of a meek and mellow nurse? Well, we could only judge from her actions and her actions in HLV were a bit not good (kicking a coin so that gravely injured Sherlock was forced to bend and pick it up was a good example).

As to villification:
Vilification is a public act that incites others to hate or to severely ridicule individuals because of their race, religion, sexuality or gender identity.

But people don´t have the low opinion of Mary based on her gender, race or religion. People have low opinion on her based on her acts (murders for hire) which include the attempted murder of her friend who offered to help her. And the last time I checked, murders were held to be reprehensible in every human culture on earth. So I´m not sure if pointing out Mary´s bad side can be considered vilification.

I despise characters like Hannibal or Dexter on the same grounds, perceiving their stories as an undue adoration of murderers. Do I "villify" them, according to you?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 4, 2016 11:38 am  #3546

And to me, everything we've seen of Mary is part of her character, both the cold and the caring.

I might be wrong, but it seems to me as if some of the strong dislike towards Mary are now rubbing off on John too. Seeing as Mary is such a wholly repulsive and horribly character, the fact that John has decided to stay with her, also says a lot about him. Seems to be the thinking.

I personally am not at all fond of this spiralling tendency.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 4, 2016 11:41 am  #3547

This spiralling tendency will maybe be stopped by some new data from S4, but with the data available to us now, I still cease to see Mary in a flattering light.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 4, 2016 11:43 am  #3548

To me, it's not t a matter of seeing her in a flattering light, it's a matter of seeing her in a more nuanced and grey perspective instead of all black.

Team Hudders!

May 4, 2016 11:51 am  #3549

nakahara wrote:

I despise characters like Hannibal or Dexter on the same grounds, perceiving their stories as an undue adoration of murderers. Do I "villify" them, according to you?

I didn't use the term 'villify' (I never heard of this vocabulary before tbh), I used the word 'detest' because that is what I think many people in this thread feel towards Mary.

I just can state that I can not not see the caring and lovely moments we saw of Mary in the first episodes of S3 "just" because of what happened in HLV. I don't think that all of that was an act. Why should it?
I am not happy about the developement of her character in HLV either, I really wish that the writers would have chosen an other back story for her. But I think that people can not be devided into good and bad and that's also exactly what Mofftiss does't do in this series (IMO).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 4, 2016 11:53 am  #3550

But on which scene of HLV should I base my opinion that Mary is grey character instead of black? I explained myself in my previous post, why her "caring" acts of TEH nad TSOT were invalidated for me... and we didn´t have any new material on her since then. Do we know anything new about her past, her motivations, her true character, her true identity? No.

May 4, 2016 11:54 am  #3551

nakahara wrote:

This spiralling tendency will maybe be stopped by some new data from S4, but with the data available to us now, I still cease to see Mary in a flattering light.

Just because people like Vhanja or me doesn't hate/detest Mary, doesn't mean that we like her either. There are nuances between love and hate, black and white, liking and don't liking.

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 4, 2016 11:55 am  #3552

I am unable to see why HLV should nullify what she did in previous episodes (but it goes with what I wrote earlier, it helps explain to me how some people are able to see her as wholly black). I see everything as a whole.

Team Hudders!

May 4, 2016 12:01 pm  #3553

Vhanja wrote:

I am unable to see why HLV should nullify what she did in previous episodes (but it goes with what I wrote earlier, it helps explain to me how some people are able to see her as wholly black). I see everything as a whole.

Because it was HLV in which we realised (and were directly told) that the character named "Mary Morstan" doesn´t exist? That this was only the name of a stillborn baby, used as a false identity for an assasin of unknown past of origin? That her personality thus far was only a cover for something else? With this knowledge, why should I believe that the rest of her Mary Morstan image was not artificial too?

May 4, 2016 12:04 pm  #3554

I don't see why I should. I don't see why everything we see of Mary isn't part of her personality.

Team Hudders!

May 4, 2016 12:13 pm  #3555

Vhanja wrote:

I don't see why everything we see of Mary isn't part of her personality.

Because the authors themselves told you that not everything we saw of her was part of her personality:

SHERLOCK (over phone): Only the very front section of the house remains. It’s just a façade. (He draws in a breath.) Remind you of anyone, Mary? A façade.

Last edited by nakahara (May 4, 2016 12:14 pm)

May 4, 2016 12:25 pm  #3556

I don't see it that way. She lied about one thing - her past. And everything she had to lie about that was related to that past. That didn't mean she had to change her personality. Acting someone she wasn't would've been much harder than just be who she was as a person.

Team Hudders!

May 4, 2016 12:41 pm  #3557

She was a spy and spies, similarily as actors, often act as someone they aren´t, to infiltrate different groups of people... she would be unable to do her job if she was incapable to do that, IMHO.

May 4, 2016 12:46 pm  #3558

I just found a quote which I find very fitting for my attitude towards this current discussion:

“The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”
— The Doctor, Season 5, Episode 10

"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

May 4, 2016 1:05 pm  #3559

Very good quote.

Team Hudders!

May 4, 2016 4:04 pm  #3560

I still maintain we've been shown nothing to confirm that any of her good parts were real.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera