BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 30, 2015 10:13 am  #1

Victorian verbs in Doyle texts

Does it bother anybody else that Victorians like to ejaculate when they speak?

If you go through the verbs found in Doyle and Wodehouse and also I think in Agatha Christie though she's not a contemporary of the other two, some of the verbs they use in place of "said" would cause a modern reader to go WTF?  But apparently Victorians were perfectly fine with literary characters ejaculating speech. Nope nothing sexual about that at all

Last edited by saturnR (January 30, 2015 10:13 am)

January 30, 2015 10:31 am  #2

Re: Victorian verbs in Doyle texts

I love these ACD quotes, especially the one where someone is ejaculating out of a window. 

But it is not just the verbs:

"When a man does a queer thing, or two queer things, there may be a meaning to it, but when everything he does is queer, then you begin to wonder” 
― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes

Last edited by SusiGo (January 30, 2015 9:06 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 30, 2015 3:36 pm  #3

I think they ejaculate in moments when they are quite excited and rather exclaim something than speak. So to say 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 30, 2015 6:04 pm  #4

Harriet wrote:

I think they ejaculate in moments when they are quite excited

Hm, I think I've read about that in fanfics too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 30, 2015 6:56 pm  #5

Schmiezi wrote:

Harriet wrote:

Why did I know I would find this exact comment as soon as I read the thread title?

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 30, 2015 7:19 pm  #6

Lola Red wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Harriet wrote:

Why did I know I would find this exact comment as soon as I read the thread title?

Yes, it was kind of predictable.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera