BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 24, 2015 8:50 am  #101

Re: Did Moftiss „assassinate“ Sherlock as a character?

miriel68 wrote:

Tbh, though  it is Sherlock's cynical manipulation of Molly, I find more difficult do digest.

Moffat and Gatiss stated that Molly was supposed to be a "make a gag and leave" character, in the beginning. She was supposed to show the unpleasant parts of Holmes.
But, I guess a lot of people find it " difficult to digest" (and maybe the writers too...they may call Holmes a bastard, they, unlike ACD,  deeply love  their character) because she's a sweet and endearing character.That's maybe why she become more and more important in the show and Holmes became more and more honest and emotional around her.

May 24, 2015 11:10 am  #102

Can someone explain to me how Janine learned that Sherlock's proposal was false? She gets knocked out before he enters the office and when she comes to he has already been shot. It is obviously her first visit in hospital but she has extensively talked to the papers, i.e. she did this very shortly after the shooting. She says "give my love to John and Mary" which means to me she has not been in contact with them. Sherlock and Magnussen have not talked at all. So how did she know? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 24, 2015 11:22 am  #103

SusiGo wrote:

Can someone explain to me how Janine learned that Sherlock's proposal was false? She gets knocked out before he enters the office and when she comes to he has already been shot. It is obviously her first visit in hospital but she has extensively talked to the papers, i.e. she did this very shortly after the shooting. She says "give my love to John and Mary" which means to me she has not been in contact with them. Sherlock and Magnussen have not talked at all. So how did she know? 

Probably a continuity error. But perhaps she talked to Magnussen? And put two and two together from there?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 24, 2015 11:28 am  #104

It may be an error. She mentions CAM being furious because she went to a rival with her story. So I do not think they talked about it beforehand. She must have known for sure that Sherlock betrayed her because the newspaper thing was quite a strong reaction. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 24, 2015 11:39 am  #105

She could very well have spoken with CAM beforehand. He might have told her what happened (or however much he wanted to let her know of it), she might not have told him her personal story with Sherlock.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 24, 2015 12:27 pm  #106

Well, imagine the scene when the ambulance arrives and Sherlock is taking to the hospital : Watson's here, there was a breaking in the office, Magnussen and janine are knocked out and Holmes 's been shot. There's likely been a police investigation after, and Watson and Janine have seen each other.
Watson maybe didn't tell the truth to the police (or maybe he did, both are sustainable) but we can guess he told it to Janine.
I'm not sure it's a genuine continuity error, Janine isn't important enough so that they dwell on her, it's just an ellipsis.

May 24, 2015 12:42 pm  #107

"Give my love to John and Mary" could have just meant that she was leaving for the country without saying goodbye to them, so it's possible that John told her (otherwise it would have been terribly embarrassing when she visited Sherlock in hospital, believing they were engaged).  But I think she probably guessed herself.  I assume it was Janine who gave Sherlock the information about Magnussen being out.  Magnussen was sitting there when Sherlock arrived, presumably expecting him.   She didn't need to be a detective to work out that they were both using her.  And I think she'd at least had suspicions all along (the lack of sex, "I'm the only one who really knows what you're like", her sureness that he wasn't "available", the extremely short courtship, etc.).   If it hadn't already dawned on her, I'm sure it would have become clear when it turned out Sherlock was up in Magnussen's office getting shot, rather than staying with her while she was unconscious - he was there for work. 

I even think her parting "Solve me a crime, Sherlock Holmes" could be because she wants Sherlock to take down Magnussen (it turns out that he was torturing her) and is expecting him at the office later.  

May 24, 2015 2:21 pm  #108

This discussion made me realise something just now. When John found Sherlock (or to be more correct: the other way around) in the drug den, Sherlock had been gone a month. However, he was already "dating" Janine. When they returned to the flat, Janine was in his bedroom. It is implied that she spent the night there, and that she has stuff in the flat to get ready for next morning (fresh set of clothes, hygiene products etc).

However, Sherlock seem to have slept in the den. And since he's been gone for a month, that meant he must have spent a lot of time in the drug den. So if he wasn't much at home in 221B, and if he acted a druggie - including the clothes, the unwashed hair etc - how would have time to date Janine? And how would she want to date an unwashed drunkie?

Those two stories doesn't mix in my head.

Team Hudders!

May 24, 2015 3:41 pm  #109

Had he definitely been in the drug den for a month?  I imagined it was less time.  He does avoid waking Janine up, gets washed quite quickly, scrubs up very nicely, and she asks him where he's been  - so that suggests that he was in "disguise" at the drug den, rather than having degenerated to that state, and doesn't wear that disguise with Janine.   

May 24, 2015 5:10 pm  #110

Yeah, perhaps he was mostly there when she was at work, and they only met through made appointments that he could work around.

Team Hudders!

May 24, 2015 5:18 pm  #111

It's never said that Sherlock was gone for a month - John says: "A month – that’s all it took. One." (http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/67234.html) I understood that to mean that John has been married (and out of 221B) for a month.

I still find it strange that Sherlock lets Janine stay in his apartment on her own, and the question of how did Janine learn that the proposal was false is so good it has a thread of its own.

As for do we like Sherlock for being a horrible person? I don't think he's generally a horrible person, he just sometimes does horrible things. And I'm prepared to forgive quite a lot if people are brilliant (or at least good) at what they are doing - being nice is not necessary (and who said - I believe on one of the LOTR bonus disks - that saying of somebody "he's a nice man" is actually a terrible thing to say?)

I'm not happy about Sherlock faking the relationship with Janine (and I don't think she'll be a one-off character), but Janine doesn't seem to mind too much, so who am I to complain. For some reason I find the underground scene much worse - I think in John's place I would  reconsider whether I really want to be friends with such a person.

Last edited by Kittyhawk (May 24, 2015 5:24 pm)

May 24, 2015 7:07 pm  #112

Personally, I see the whole fake relationship with Janine as a nod to canon, slightly updated of course.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 25, 2015 10:41 am  #113

And is that supposed to excuse anything? When I'm watching Sherlock I would like to be able to enjoy the show on its own merits, not to engange in a books/film comparison (not only because I've long since forgotten the books).

May 25, 2015 3:43 pm  #114

Kittyhawk wrote:

It's never said that Sherlock was gone for a month - John says: "A month – that’s all it took. One." (http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/67234.html) I understood that to mean that John has been married (and out of 221B) for a month.

I still find it strange that Sherlock lets Janine stay in his apartment on her own, and the question of how did Janine learn that the proposal was false is so good it has a thread of its own.

As for do we like Sherlock for being a horrible person? I don't think he's generally a horrible person, he just sometimes does horrible things. And I'm prepared to forgive quite a lot if people are brilliant (or at least good) at what they are doing - being nice is not necessary (and who said - I believe on one of the LOTR bonus disks - that saying of somebody "he's a nice man" is actually a terrible thing to say?)

I'm not happy about Sherlock faking the relationship with Janine (and I don't think she'll be a one-off character), but Janine doesn't seem to mind too much, so who am I to complain. For some reason I find the underground scene much worse - I think in John's place I would  reconsider whether I really want to be friends with such a person.

He's been married for amonth but would've been out of 221b for much longer.  He was out of 221b in the MHR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

May 25, 2015 5:09 pm  #115

Of course, you are right, John moved out of the flat when Sherlock was "dead" and probably never moved back in (certainly not before learning about Mary's past later in HLV). But the important point here is that Sherlock did not spend a month in the drug den. My guess would be on several separate nights (followed by mornings in his bathtub), most probably interspersed with nights in his own bed (with or without Janine), which looks a lot more comfortable.

May 26, 2015 1:05 pm  #116

Kittyhawk wrote:

Of course, you are right, John moved out of the flat when Sherlock was "dead" and probably never moved back in (certainly not before learning about Mary's past later in HLV). But the important point here is that Sherlock did not spend a month in the drug den. My guess would be on several separate nights (followed by mornings in his bathtub), most probably interspersed with nights in his own bed (with or without Janine), which looks a lot more comfortable.

This is backed up by the fact that Janine was obviously completley oblivious as to where he'd just been and what he'd been up to. I'm sure she would have realised if her new boyfriend was a complete druggie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

May 26, 2015 8:34 pm  #117

Back to the topic, I've been thinking maybe it was necesseray to " assassinate" the canon characters to create something that works so well on screen. Maybe it's part of the creating process to destroy the idols and make something new with the broken pieces.
I'm talking about the two main characters, we can consider the writers " assassinate" both of them. They made a rude and hurtful Holmes, and an emotional and irascible Watson. In the canon they're both more balanced and even tempered and only have a slight tendancy to rudeness for Holmes, to emotion for Watson, but anyway, psychology and interaction are not the main focus of ACD work.
Being hugely attached to the canon, I sometimes feel the writters indulge themselves in contempt of the authenticity and get slightly bothered, but globally, I take it as it is ( ..well, "them" actually, since it can be extended to every Holmes adaptations). As long as it's good, I take it.

May 27, 2015 2:25 pm  #118

Good point - with the amount of adaptations that are already around it's probably not easy to create something new and original.

Unfortunately I still haven't made any progress with ACD's stories (I've just come to a point in Study in Scarlet where it struck me how scrupulously polite Sherlock is to a policeman who's probably on completely the wrong track), but maybe you could tell me: What did Sherlock do and say to make Mofftiss (don't remember which one) say (either in an episode commentary or in a DVD extra) they were struck by how "not nice" ACD's Sherlock was? That they (or one of them) were actually rather shocked by the character? Because I don't remember anything like that from when I read the stories several decades ago.

Of course I suppose that behaviour standards have changed quite a lot from then to now, so it's not impossible that the protagonist's behaviour needed to be "updated" (read: made much worse) to make a similar impression on today's audience as ACD's characters made on theirs. On the other hand - reactions to ACD's characters seem to have been positive, haven't they?

May 27, 2015 3:40 pm  #119

Kittyhawk wrote:

Of course I suppose that behaviour standards have changed quite a lot from then to now, so it's not impossible that the protagonist's behaviour needed to be "updated" (read: made much worse) to make a similar impression on today's audience as ACD's characters made on theirs. On the other hand - reactions to ACD's characters seem to have been positive, haven't they?

I think you hit the mark here. I think a lot of ACD Sherlock would not be considered very rude by today's standard, but he was meant to be more direct and not bothered by the social conventions of the day. So they have to make a character that will not bother with today's social conventions.

Look at House. Based on ACD, and I think he was even more rude, selfish and cold than BBC Sherlock.

Team Hudders!

May 27, 2015 9:44 pm  #120

Kittyhawk wrote:

: What did Sherlock do and say to make Mofftiss (don't remember which one) say (either in an episode commentary or in a DVD extra) they were struck by how "not nice" ACD's Sherlock was? 

Actually, The original Sherlock Holmes is usually polite with the clients, and can even be cheerfull now and then. I don't remember him being rude. He's quite lonely but certainly not a sociopath.
But he's certainly blunt, uncaring  and sometimes manupulative ( do you need exemples or do you prefer finding out by reading the canon?). Moreover, he's absolutly regardless of social status, and treat equally rich, noble or poor lads.
So, to me, this Holmes is not the same as the canon one, but not utterly foreign to him.I guess, when you " create" a new Holmes, you focus on some traits and forget some. I suppose the writers overdid the rudeness because they wanted to add humour to the show ( and it works, this show is funnier than the canon or any other adaptations) .
I have more reservations on the emotionnal/personnal interactions part of the show. Ever since I can appreciate a touch of it,  I prefer when "Sherlock Holmes" stays first and foremost a detective story, not "days of our lives".

Board footera