BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 23, 2015 11:13 am  #81

Re: Did Moftiss „assassinate“ Sherlock as a character?

Well, if not even that can make you guys feel that Sherlock is cold and cynical, then I understand why you view him a bit differently than I do. I feel that the definition of the terms and the view of both Ben and Moftiss, says that he is those things, so I can't say I understand where you come from. But I am starting to understand that if this is where you are coming from, that is probably why we are viewing the show and the characters very, very different.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 23, 2015 11:15 am  #82

Indeed 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 23, 2015 12:22 pm  #83

I think it's not so much cynical as practical: Sherlock just sees it as a means to an end.  He has often acted a part to manipulate people to achieve a goal, and I get the impression he doesn't think much farther than that - not even as far as coming up with more reasonable plan (like using Janine as an ally).    Bear in mind that he has just been to a wedding, which was probably what planted the idea.   Then he just carries out the plan rather than worrying about how he could mimimise hurt feelings.  

It's definitely cold.  Not that Sherlock is naturally a cold person (clearly, he's not), but this is how he operates - shutting off those pesky emotions in favour of his work.  Courting Janine was "work".

I think he does show some regret in hospital.  And not having sex with her does show at least a recognition that this is a dodgy thing to do.  I think he might also feel regret when Magnussen reveals that he had tortured Janine (and I think Magnusssen says that to hurt him), and of course, Sherlock knows by then Mary befriended Janine for her own purposes too, and that she attacked her.   

May 23, 2015 12:42 pm  #84

I would also say it's cynical because he uses the fact that Janine likes him for, as you say, work. 

One definition of being cynical:

showing contempt for accepted standards of honesty or morality by one's actions, especially by actions that exploit the scruples of others.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cynical

He shows contempt for "sentiment", and doesn't bat an eyelid when John reacts to the immoral aspects of his actions. Even the thing that made this possible, Janine falling in love with him, is considered "human error".
It is of course also pratical, but that doesn't rule out that it's cold and cynical. Neither does Janine's personality have anything to do with what we can label his actions.

Last edited by Vhanja (May 23, 2015 12:45 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 23, 2015 12:50 pm  #85

First of all, I'm not sure, if "rationalizing" is a much better term than "handwaving away", which in itself is a evaluation as how users here discuss certain questions. But maybe that is just me.
Secondly, I agree with Liberty that there is a difference between being cynical and being practical, the first one shown now and then in Sherlock's work ( remember the school head lady), the second I cannot really come up with an example.
Thirdly, the basic problem here might be the question if Janine truly was in love with Sherlock, which some here (including me) have doubts. If one considers that she is not evil per se but maybe a bit looking for her fun, and as Susi said, just an interesting guy, than they are both the same level. In the hospital she is good humoured in my opinion and not hurt, maybe slightly regretful. But that's about it. Such women do in fact exist.
And fourthly, as the murder of CAM comes up again, I have repeatedly mentioned that NOBODY here seems to be happy with that, so no rationalizing there. I have never ever got an answer to that.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 23, 2015 1:58 pm  #86

To me, it's really not a problem Sherlock Holmes being sometimes cynical in the show. And yes, I see what he did to Janine as cruel and cynical ( faking a relationship, buying an engagement ring and pretend he's about to propose, and immediately joking about that in the lift...) it doesn't matter if she's in love or not, it's cruel (in a balanced relationship, whatever it is, the conditions should be knowingly consented by both parts). Janine is a mean to a end, which is, litteraly, machiavelic ( but actually, I don't really care about Janine as a character and hope she won't appear again).
So, he's cruel, yes, but I don't need to see Holmes as a beyond reproach hero to appreciate him  as a character. IMHO, you miss something of the show if you're too keen to making excuses and finding moral justification to Holmes every actions.It's much funnier to take him as he is.  

May 23, 2015 2:27 pm  #87

I can see what you're saying, Vhanja, but I feel that in this case Sherlock ignores or dismisses accepted standards of honesty/morality, rather than having contempt for them.  I'd see being cynical as more about seeing the negative side of people, and distrusting their motives - for instance, if Sherlock had chosen to falsely court Janine rather than honestly befriend her because he believed that friends let you down (not the best example).  I don't think he's being cynical about Janine, but just thinking of the courtship as a convenient step in the process of getting to Magnussen. 

I think he probably can be cynical at times, but I'm not sure it's the case here.  But it's not something I really have an issue with.  We're maybe just disagreeing over the meaning of the word.

May 23, 2015 2:41 pm  #88

Vhanja wrote:

Kittyhawk wrote:

Yesterday I finally listened to the HLV commentary and I agree with nakahara: Sherlock Holmes comes off much worse in the commentary than on screen. I would have wanted to say to Moftiss "Hey guys, are you aware that you are describing your hero here (or at least the high-functioning sociopath protagonist)? Why do you make him sound like one of the more despicable villains in tv history? Or, if you feel that way about him - why did you write him like this?"

I think HLV was meant to be a sharp contrast to TSoT. In the latter, Sherlock becomes almost fluffy. He is shown as loving, caring, warm, vulnerable and borderline soppy in public. It was bordering on becoming quite OOC. So they've stated that they made Sherlock very cynical and cold in HLV, to show that he was NOT just the fluffy bunny we saw in TSoT. Kind of an emotional whiplash for the audience, deliberately done by Moftiss.

First of all, my comment was about the commentary, where Moftiss are badmouthing Sherlock for quite a while (and they are not limiting themselves to "cynical and cold"!), not HLV itself. Yes, the fake relationship was a rather cold thing to do - but I doubt that Janine was duped all that easily (she had her doubts about Sherlock from TSOT) and both seem okay with each other in the hospital scene. Regarding CAM I agree with Mary (the scene where the commentators accuse Sherlock of being slow on the uptake...)

Secondly, I disagree that Sherlock comes across as "loving, caring, warm, vulnerable and borderline soppy in public" in TSOT. For me the speech shows that Sherlock really is a self-absorbed ... (insert favourite epiteth). Or is a best-man speech supposed to be about the best man? Just count the numbers of "I" or "me" in that speech. And remember him frightening off Mary's ex-boyfriend? I also think that most parents would not agree that showing pictures of maggot-eaten corpses to children is a "caring, warm" thing to do (even if the child loves it). Last but not least, Sherlock behaved so horribly at the end of TEH (in the underground) that he has a lot to make up for, so a slightly nicer side (well, worse is hardly possible) was very welcome to me - otherwise I might have decided that I had enough of him.

May 23, 2015 4:55 pm  #89

Nature - I couldn't agree more. I don't think all Sherlock's actions are meant to be morally justifable, and that it was intrigues me. I don't need that either. Actually, I don't want that, because white knight heroes are boring in my book. I don't like Sherlock despite his flaws - I like him and find him endlessly interesting and fascinating because of them.

Liberty - With cynical, I mean how he deliberately uses the fact that Janine is interested in him to have the fake relationship. That is the act that is cynical to me. But I agree with you, it's not necessarily the word itself that is the most imporant to me. It's the fact that the act can't, and shouldn't, be morally justified. Whomever Janine is, and whatever much or little she feels about Sherlock, the act from Sherlock himself is immoral. Because it's not a mutual understanding about what their relationship is. 

Kitty - I agree with you about your points in TSoT. However, the harsher points in that episode doesn't automatically exclude the fact that he was ALSO loving, caring, warm, vulnerable and fluffy. Also, I agreee wholeheartedly about his behaviour towards Mary's ex AND the underground scene. Makes me a bit glad that someone else here see those bits as horrible as I do. (But I would never have had enough of him).

Team Hudders!

May 23, 2015 5:53 pm  #90

Vhanja wrote:

Makes me a bit glad that someone else here see those bits as horrible as I do.

LOL, now I start feeling morally totally corrupted 

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

May 23, 2015 6:18 pm  #91

Really, you didn't mind the underground scene? For me it's one of the most horrible scenes of all nine episodes - the only redeeming feature being that it's so far at the end that I can switch off before. Mary's ex I could have forgiven because I simply don't care about the guy... (which probably makes me a horrible person as well. Well, with three murder victims in the fridge...)

May 23, 2015 6:23 pm  #92

It seems I'm only able to worry about excusable things - such as someone quite killing her husband's best friend 

(Edit for typo)

Last edited by Harriet (May 23, 2015 6:28 pm)

May 23, 2015 6:24 pm  #93

Harriet wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

Makes me a bit glad that someone else here see those bits as horrible as I do.

LOL, now I start feeling morally totally corrupted

LOLOL, me too...

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

May 23, 2015 8:21 pm  #94

The thing is-- why write Sherlock Holmes this way? Why make him such an unlikable character?

May 23, 2015 8:44 pm  #95

I don't find him unlikeable at all. It's the complexity of his character, the fact that he is NOT a white knight with a square jaw and perfect moral principles, that makes him so interesting to me. 

Team Hudders!

May 23, 2015 9:54 pm  #96

Yes. I agree. I do not find him unlikable at all. Tbh, I find him far more likable and human than Canon Holmes. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 23, 2015 10:39 pm  #97

So, we don't find BBC Sherlock's character to be unlikable, actually, we like him for being a horrible person? Is this just a sign of the times thing-- that we prefer anti-heroes to Petey Pureheart types? 

May 23, 2015 10:47 pm  #98

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

So, we don't find BBC Sherlock's character to be unlikable, actually, we like him for being a horrible person? Is this just a sign of the times thing-- that we prefer anti-heroes to Petey Pureheart types? 

I don't like him because he's horrible. I like him because he is good, selfish, vulnerable, cold, caring, arrogant, heroic and horrible. I like him because he is a complex character with a myriad of depth and a broad range of emotions. 

If he had been JUST horrible, he would be just as uninteresting and boring as if he had been JUST good and nice.

Team Hudders!

May 24, 2015 12:14 am  #99

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Well, yes, I think it's maybe a sign of the time   although
1/ Sherlock Holmes has never been a  Petey Pureheart types hero, wether in the canon or in most adaptions
2/ anti-heroes always had their share ( Odysseus is a cheating husband who can kill dozen of men before breakfast, or each and every knight of the round table are as much heroic than deeply flawed )

And, as for " why" they did write him like this (although I think, as vhanja, that  Holmes is complex, but not unlikable) I think that Moffat and Gattis have claimed that they wanted inject a good dose of humour in their adaptation, since they thought a lot of former adaptations lacked of it.
And the rude/uncaring/blunt/childish sides of Holmes are definitly funny, so they underlined them in some scenes (as much as the grumpy and annoyed sides of Watson). But Janine, mary's ex-boyfriend, the little girls who are said that their grand-father has been burned in a box, and  so on, are secondary characters who allow the writers to show those horrible sides from Holmes and make the audience laugh without guilt since they're on-off in the show.

But they offsetted that by showing a strong friendship and real dedication between Holmes and Watson ( wow, in different words I have said  the same as  "  I am a ridiculous man. Redeemed only by the warmth and constancy of your friendship."  )... and more recently between Holmes and some supporting characters:  We also could add some scenes with Molly, and even Lestrade, Mary Morstan  and Mycroft Holmes to the "offsetting process."

May 24, 2015 8:35 am  #100

I think there is no denying that Sherlock DOES in fact uses Janine in a cynical and cruel way - "using" people is by definition morally objectable. Yes, it is canon and yes, ACD knew it was morally objectable as well, hence he made Sherlock mention that there was a replacement ready to comfort the disappointed Milverton's servant.
The creators of the show took care to present Janine in a way that make Sherlock's charade more acceptable -. who didn't cringe at Janine's "Sherl" and her behaviour in his appartement? But let us not forget who thrilled she was to see the engagement ring, just like any girl usually is when her boy friend proposes.
Tbh, though  it is Sherlock's cynical manipulation of Molly, I find more difficult do digest.

Board footera