BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2015 11:39 pm  #21

Re: Did Moftiss „assassinate“ Sherlock as a character?

I bet that those people who thinks that are very young and see the world more in black/white than in the loads of grey as it it. Sherlock and John are both very complex and lacking life experience might make difficult to understand the compromises one has to make in his life and that there is no absolute truth. So i see the writers at mistake only when they talk beside the obvious and when instead to use the audio commentary to really make it easier for everyody to understand their stand they just use it for chat (just my opinion,don't throw tomatoes to me). However it is not their fault when people think so 2D (i saw enough posts on tumblr how John is "trash" because of the "damn my leg" and that he doesn't make, tea, LOL -it might be fun, but i see also a lot of lack of awardness of what a depression makes from someone). 

January 24, 2015 5:57 pm  #22

nakahara wrote:

Well, what I adressed in my thread was not exactly the writing of this show, but the general perception people have of Sherlock as a character after watching it. I personally have no problem with S3 as a whole, I liked all three seasons equally and I also like Sherlock´s portrayal as we see it on screen. I agree that this is probably the most interesting and original Sherlock we had in a long time.

Still, I speak of "assassination" of his character, because I see the increasing number of Sherlock´s descriptions as an arsehole, cock and similar epithets, found on blogs and reviews of the story and I am annoyed by the paradox that my favourite show had this influence on my favourite hero. If people title someone with the name of a human genital or intestine tract or describe his friendship as toxic, I cease to see anything positive in it - the word buries any growth, any complexity, any "grayness" the character had in the story and paints him as something negative

If I am reading your posts correctly (my apologies if I have misread them) then you still think that there is a possibility that Motfiss might have "assassinated" Sherlock as a character because of certain "fans" perceptions of how they view the character?

My response to that question is... a resounding "No!"  Definitely Moftiss are not responsible for some immature perceptions and carelessly thought out words some people choose to describe a character in their "fanfictions" or personal blogs. The creators/writers of the show aren't the ones who should be questioned as to assassinating Sherlock's character - it's the people who are using those types of words who are the ones assassinating the character! 

To seriously navel gaze about their so-called opinions and perceptions gives them undo weight IMO.

I think the vast majority of critics and fans of the series don't subscribe to those types of descriptors of Sherlock and view the character in a much more sophisticated light - seeing him as a complex person with positive and negative traits in equal abundance, who, in the capable hands of Moftiss, is presented in a highly entertaining, charismatic and intelligent manner.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

January 24, 2015 6:48 pm  #23

Well, the title of this thread is a hyperbole, of course. The more proper title "How it´s possible that it´s BBC Sherlock which of all adaptations caused Sherlock as a character to be seen as a negative, hateful wacko - it´s something in the writing?" would be a bit too long.

Still, I´m not sure if the author´s comments did not contribute to the negative image of Sherlock in some way. Before S3 was filmed, I saw the article where Steven Moffat was asked if Sherlock would ever find a girlfriend and his response was something like: "Sherlock can´t have a girlfriend. He´d poison her to see the effect of the poison".

He was joking but - the image of an criminally irresponsible nutter that was created by this and similar statements is remembered by the fans and now kind of sticks to Sherlock.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 24, 2015 7:41 pm  #24

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we're very very lucky—he might even be a good one." -Inspector Lestrade, ASIP

That’s what the entire arc of the show is about: Sherlock’s transition from a great man, to a good one. The way I see it, Moffitson's objective with BBC Sherlock was not to create a show modeled after ACD's anthology format. It seems clearly to be to show the transition of Sherlock from a “great man” into a “good one” who has some appreciation for sentiment. Of course I'm not judging people who doesn't like this Sherlock's characterization which is a little outside the ACD's one. It's fiction and it's completely up to people whether they like it as a whole or part of it or whatever. But about Sherlock's characterization, what I think people miss is that Moffitson has simply brought the essence of canon Sherlock Holmes in their Story. What I mean is that they have given their Sherlock all the recognizable Sherlockian traits like unprecedented powers of obsevation and deduction; preference of a solitary life; aversion to and low opinion of sentiment and love; history of substance abuse etc. What they have done in Sherlock is that they have given Sherlock (also John) a specific backstory explaining why he has these traits which is gradually becoming more explicit. I longed to know more about canon Shelrock as a person, so I really appreciate Moffits focusing on fleshing out Sherlock's character throughout the show. Although our Sherlock is not the canon one it's really fun to deduce our Sherlock's character by observing how he leads his life and how he interacts with others. Understandably many people want Sherlock's characterization to be more like the canon and the show focused more on solving cases but Moffitson has sold me with their 'deduce our characters' format.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

January 24, 2015 8:15 pm  #25

nakahara wrote:

Well, the title of this thread is a hyperbole, of course. The more proper title "How it´s possible that it´s BBC Sherlock which of all adaptations caused Sherlock as a character to be seen as a negative, hateful wacko - it´s something in the writing?" would be a bit too long.

Still, I´m not sure if the author´s comments did not contribute to the negative image of Sherlock in some way. Before S3 was filmed, I saw the article where Steven Moffat was asked if Sherlock would ever find a girlfriend and his response was something like: "Sherlock can´t have a girlfriend. He´d poison her to see the effect of the poison".

He was joking but - the image of an criminally irresponsible nutter that was created by this and similar statements is remembered by the fans and now kind of sticks to Sherlock.

Are you accepting the premise that is posited by these personal bloggers and fanfiction writers that he is viewed only in a negative light?

That really puts a lot of credence on their viewpoint - more than I would ever do for sure. 

I reject their view entirely.  I don't accept their particular perspective - that Sherlock is a only a degenerate character, which for me isn't anything that is seen in the show (or in any of the commentaries for that matter).  

If they want to take every lighthearted joke and make more of it than it was ever intended, morphing it into something entirely negative I can't help that sort of tripe any more than Moftiss can.  Perhaps they should get a sense of humour and stop parsing every word into a crisis of character to suit their own personal agenda? 

But I suppose they will see what they want to see.  Me, I'll just enjoy what I think is a great character and good story telling.  And I really don't think anywhere near the majority of fans think of Sherlock as a criminally iresponsible nutter, so I don't put any weight into worrying how the immature fringe on the fanfiction boards and blogs view the show or the characters.  They aren't worth my time.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

January 24, 2015 8:36 pm  #26

He still has time to evolve. From my perspective, Cumberbatch’s Sherlock is still a young Holmes. I believe Sherlock Holmes probably would have been a huge asshole in his youth. However, Ben’s Sherlock might become more mature in series as he gets older. In which case, he might become much closer to Jeremy Brett’s Sherlock Holmes in terms of personality. He would be cool, reserved, but no longer sociopathic. He may still be rude and inconsiderate but in much smaller doses.

January 24, 2015 11:06 pm  #27

BrettHolmes wrote:

He still has time to evolve. From my perspective, Cumberbatch’s Sherlock is still a young Holmes. I believe Sherlock Holmes probably would have been a huge asshole in his youth. However, Ben’s Sherlock might become more mature in series as he gets older. In which case, he might become much closer to Jeremy Brett’s Sherlock Holmes in terms of personality. He would be cool, reserved, but no longer sociopathic. He may still be rude and inconsiderate but in much smaller doses.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Series arc of Sherlock | Clues to #johnlock being endgame | My fav Sherlock blog

January 24, 2015 11:19 pm  #28

Do you remember the first time you watched a "Study in Pink"? How we as viewers were kind of put into John´s shoes and felt such a sense of wonder as we watched Sherlock. Sherlock did many weird, confusing and seemingly nutty things during that episode, but "there was a method in this madness" and we witnessed again and again that Sherlock´s puzzling deeds had logical purpose, that he was actually very competent in his job and could procure a wonderful results in it? When John was gushing praises like: "fantastic!", "awesome!" at Sherlock´s deductions, didn´t you feel the same with him? Weren´t you in awe over this enigmatic man? I hope I was not the only one who felt that way. 

So, why is this character mostly described as "arsehole" (not by everybody and everytime - but these descriptions are abundant, you certainly saw them many times yourself)? Why do I see reactions like these concerning John´s and Sherlock´s friendship?

http://abundantlyqueer.tumblr.com/post/75683139007/i-will-say-this-for-sherlock-ive-been

Why are some fans percieving Sherlock´s character this way? is he really written as an asshole in this show? If not, where is that disconnect between people´s perception of him and the show? 

Or do people use wods like "arsehole" and "dick" because there are no suitable words to describe character of this complexity in an easy way and so people opt for this as a kind of "shortcut"?

Or is it because people like dichotomies and because they already cast John into the role of a positive character, they must put Sherlock into a darker shade? Is this why they are so bent on Sherlock´s punishment?

Concerning Sherlock´s development, Sherlock certainly evolved in the show already, so aren´t names like "dick" and "arsehole" a bit "dated" now? What exactly should I understand under the title "a good man" into which Sherlock should finally evolve? Like, isn´t he already "good" enough? Which of his characteristics should be changed for him to be finally worthy of that epiteth? And how to make him "a good man" and not loose his provocativeness and outrageous originality, which makes him interesting as a character?

I hope it writers don´t plan something heavy-handed, like remodelling him into an entirely "normal" man. That would be a shame, like in that story about a man who saw stork for the first time and wondered what a stange "pigeon" that is. So he cut a piece of stork´s long beak and his long legs, cut away pieces of his tail and wings and when a mutilated stork lay helplessly in front of him, he clapped his hands in delight and said: "Wonderful! You finally resemble a proper bird!"

I really, really hope this is not a fate that writers have in store for Sherlock.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 24, 2015 11:20 pm  #29

BrettHolmes wrote:

Yes!  Mark and Steven have said out right that they wanted to start Sherlock and John's story at a much earlier time than any other addaptation.  They want to show how our pair get to the relationship they eventually have.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 24, 2015 11:22 pm  #30

Specifically, they wanted to show them meeting...which has rarely been done in film/stage/TV adaptations.

Last edited by besleybean (January 24, 2015 11:23 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 24, 2015 11:45 pm  #31

nakahara wrote:

So, why is this character mostly described as "arsehole" (not by everybody and everytime - but these descriptions are abundant, you certainly saw them many times yourself)? Why do I see reactions like these concerning John´s and Sherlock´s friendship?

http://abundantlyqueer.tumblr.com/post/75683139007/i-will-say-this-for-sherlock-ive-been

Why are some fans percieving Sherlock´s character this way? is he really written as an asshole in this show? If not, where is that disconnect between people´s perception of him and the show? 

I really don't care what that tumblr person thinks (that's their opinion and they are welcome to it) - and I have been a Holmesian a lot longer than 41 years.  And no, I haven't seen an abundance of remarks like that.    I haven't ever been on tumblr and don't intend to go there myself.  The only time I have seen things from that site is when it is published here. 

I am confident in my interpretation of the character and don't feel any puzzlement or need to account for those who try and justifiy some hatred for Sherlock as he stands on the show. 

If they can't see what I see, then that's too bad for them.  It doesn't bother me and my level of enjoyment and isn't something that will change my feelings about the show or the character.  Not in the least. 

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

January 25, 2015 7:58 am  #32

You pose some interesting questions, that can't be answered easily.. as they are so multi-faceted and complex. They would almost require a scientific psychological research about different people reacting to different aspects of a piece of art.. ^^ So here's my incoherent musings about them..

First I'd like to agree with Ah-chie in that those reactions say more about the fans than about the writing.

But then there's also the team that emphasizes Sherlock's nastiness and cruelty in interviews lately.. and I confess it confuses me. I'm at a loss as to why they paint him as ruthless machine that's also endearing because it's incomplete as a human being.. Paraphrasing here, but pretty much the words Benedict used. Maybe this is the backstory they thought up for him, maybe that's why they feel he needs penance on the one hand and human growth on the other. That's where it doesn't fit with my concept of ACD Holmes, who I think was an eccentric but pretty complete human being.. It's fine if Sherlock develops into this character, but personally I would have preferred not to delve into his childhood traumata and self-loathing. Well, that aside I think it's only natural that a part of the audience picks up more on the one aspect of his personaliy and one on the other.. He's an arse for some and a sad gay baby penguin for others, you find things that support both those readings in the show. Sherlock is written to polarize, and he does. I'm not sure if that's a flaw in writing or genius in writing.. If you want a strictly positive public image of Sherlock Holmes it's probably the first, if you want to create a TV smash hit it's probably the latter.

January 25, 2015 9:43 am  #33

Just throwing this out there as food for thought.

I believe that some, not all mind you, but some of the "name calling" is done in an affectionate manner.

"That Sherlock, what an arse.  Don't you just love him?"

In my circle of friends it's not unusual for us to swear at each other in this way.  I've even called my own husband a black hearted bastard.     Not everyone's cup of tea, but some people do banter this way.

Like I said, just a thought.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 25, 2015 11:00 am  #34

I think BBC Sherlock is a massively clever, deeply feeling and loving man...
They did good for me.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 25, 2015 2:41 pm  #35

ACD's Holmes was a much older man. He was wiser, more experienced, softened through age and kinder as a result.

BBC's Sherlock started out as arrogant and selfish but has subsequently developed and grown as a person over the past three series and will continue to do so unitl he BECOMES the person we see in the Canon and in Brett's Holmes.

This is the vision of Moftiss and I honestly believe it will work. It's a character arc that is currently in development, not a finished piece.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes (January 25, 2015 2:42 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 25, 2015 2:45 pm  #36

Exactly.  Sherlock is not finished yet and we are watching his progress.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 25, 2015 2:56 pm  #37

Zatoichi wrote:

First I'd like to agree with Ah-chie in that those reactions say more about the fans than about the writing.
But then there's also the team that emphasizes Sherlock's nastiness and cruelty in interviews lately.. and I confess it confuses me. I'm at a loss as to why they paint him as ruthless machine that's also endearing because it's incomplete as a human being.. Paraphrasing here, but pretty much the words Benedict used. Maybe this is the backstory they thought up for him, maybe that's why they feel he needs penance on the one hand and human growth on the other. That's where it doesn't fit with my concept of ACD Holmes, who I think was an eccentric but pretty complete human being.. It's fine if Sherlock develops into this character, but personally I would have preferred not to delve into his childhood traumata and self-loathing. Well, that aside I think it's only natural that a part of the audience picks up more on the one aspect of his personaliy and one on the other.. He's an arse for some and a sad gay baby penguin for others, you find things that support both those readings in the show. Sherlock is written to polarize, and he does. I'm not sure if that's a flaw in writing or genius in writing.. If you want a strictly positive public image of Sherlock Holmes it's probably the first, if you want to create a TV smash hit it's probably the latter.

I agree that maybe some points of Sherlock might not have been necessary, such as furthering the backstory (childhood dog, parents, etc). Even though Ben insisted on it. I do understand that they're trying to make him seem more 'human' but just like you, to me, Holmes is already a perfect representation of being human. I guess that in this TV age, fleshing out a character that much is normal to destroy any hero images and insert a 'everyday joe' feel.

January 25, 2015 3:27 pm  #38

I certainly don't consider BBC Sherlock a hero...I feel he is a deeply flawed man...maybe more so than Canon Holmes...
But I love him despite these faults.

February 6, 2015 9:52 pm  #39

Found two interesting metas that contain some thoughts definitely belonging into this thread:

http://lioncel.tumblr.com/post/87147064279/morality-play

http://lioncel.tumblr.com/post/86365791799/this-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things

February 7, 2015 9:27 am  #40

First of all, I think that every time there is a new adaptation of a canonical character, such as Sherlock Holmes, there are basically three ways for the writers to go:
a. you "honor" the original character and just wants him to be carefully transferred from paper to other medium (film, usually) - Granada productions
b. you "use" character to lure the public and to create something to your liking - RDJ Sherlock, JLM Elementary.
c. you enter in the dialogue with the original text, you ask yourself questions you give your interpretation. BBC Sherlock

I find the a strategy boring, the b strategy indifferent and the c strategy creative, if risky. Every beloved book has a group of hard-core admirers who are mainly interested in the adaptations sticking as faithfully to the original (and their personal idea of the original) as possible. They can probably accept easier the b strategy than the c one, because the b is not threatenig the canon, as the c is.

Why is Sherlock such a stellar success, while Elementary is not? Acting, procuction values etc. apart, it is because it does more than just taking the characters and using them for a new format. It explores the canon and gives a new - arguably subjective, arguably agressive - interpretation of it. The very fact it stirs such violent emotions is the proof of its creative power. Is there something controversial about Brett's interpretation? More than this is there something NEW in Brett interpretation, something we didn't already know about Holmes from ACD canon?

Board footera