BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2015 4:51 am  #161

Re: Oscars

Aaaawh, he was my second hope. 

Still I am so proud of Ben for having been nominated. His nomination was so well deserved! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 23, 2015 4:52 am  #162

Eddie Redmayne is quite adorable, though. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 23, 2015 4:53 am  #163

Yes. I don't begrudge him the award.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

February 23, 2015 4:53 am  #164

He's a cutie, and he worked hard! (I haven't even seen it but the clips I've seen... wow, that must have worn him out!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 23, 2015 4:53 am  #165

Yeah. *sigh*

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 23, 2015 5:06 am  #166

Well, that was a nice watch. I'm really glad TIG won an Oscar, and I hope Ben and the rest will enjoy the party (I hear Morten Tyldum will attend a nachspiel at Madonna's).

I'm off to bed, been a nice company with you guys in this thread.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 23, 2015 5:06 am  #167

I am so happy TIG got at least one award, Turing's story can't get enough coverage. 

I'm off to bed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 23, 2015 5:08 am  #168

Yeah, good night ladies!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

February 23, 2015 5:49 am  #169

Woke up to find that Redmayne won again. I appologise profusely but I've seen The theory of everything and think that both the movie and his performance have been overrated. It was good but not better than the other nominees. It seems to win you have to play someone with an illness. It's like The Kings Speech all over again, that was overrated too and Firth hasn't won anything since.

Part of my problem with TTOE is, I admit it, I'm not at all interested in Eddie Redmayne and have seen him in other things and wasn't very impressed. I'm also not interested in Hawking. Sorry TIG didn't get best picture too. (Giving the Baffta to Boyhood surprised me as well as it was very boring and long.) Anyhow, back to bed after feeding baby. That's what you get when you have 11 kids. Lots of lack of sleep.

Last edited by JenHart (February 23, 2015 6:29 am)

February 23, 2015 7:05 am  #170

I am glad BP went to Birdman and not to Boyhood, as it is still better than some BP in recent years and I was expecting Redmayne to win, but I am still very disappointed with his award. TTOE is a very poor film and his performance, while physically domanding, was very bland and shallow. Some years ago I had similar feelings about Meryl Streep getting an Oscar for Iron Lady, but she managed to infuse her character with at least a bit of personality and then, female categories are always weaker, because there are not enough good parts for women. Again, I have seen actors win for even more forgetabble performances than ER, but this year both BC and MK were far superior.

February 23, 2015 7:11 am  #171

miriel68 wrote:

I am glad BP went to Birdman and not to Boyhood, as it is still better than some BP in recent years and I was expecting Redmayne to win, but I am still very disappointed with his award. TTOE is a very poor film and his performance, while physically domanding, was very bland and shallow. Some years ago I had similar feelings about Meryl Streep getting an Oscar for Iron Lady, but she managed to infuse her character with at least a bit of personality and then, female categories are always weaker, because there are not enough good parts for women. Again, I have seen actors win for even more forgetabble performances than ER, but this year both BC and MK were far superior.

Agree with you. OH, having a somewhat exagerated sense of humor, said Ben should have played Turing with a terrible limp, he might have won then. I said but he didn't have a limp and Dan said they won't know that.

February 23, 2015 7:45 am  #172

My thoughts, for what they're worth:
I think the role itself won Eddie the Oscar - as others have said, physically demanding roles like this are usually well rewarded, not to mention Stephen Hawking being a highly esteemed figure.
I'll also stick my head above the parapet and say that Eddie conducted a perfect campaign - you could tell by the way the media took to him that he was this years' "darling"
But for me, personally, he is the least really outstanding actor that I've ever seen win an Oscar - I've never seen him a role other than TTOE where he's anything other than bland.
For all that though, he seems like a nice guy so good luck to him!
I'm glad TIG won SOMETHING at last - so many critics were far too sniffy about the Movie, and really unfairly so.
It would have been the icing on the cake to see Benedict get an Oscar, but it's all very subjective and not always based on the performance alone; I don't think he'll be too disappointed, and I don't think he was ever a front runner for the award either - that's just the way these things go.
If I'm being REALLY honest, the performance that I personally enjoyed the most this year, didn't even get a nomination! :D.

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 23, 2015 8:02 am  #173

Regarding the campaign, Benedict was a bit busy filming two other things while he was campaigning. Also he was part of the campaign to pardon 49,000 people who were condemned like Turing, and he was getting married, he was busy busy. It seems if you play a physically demanding part you get awards regardless of anything else, which seems wrong to me. However, I admit to finding Redmayne an unimpressive actor, and I have seen him in other things and wished I hadn't bothered. Anyhow, Ben has a long and probably distinguished career ahead of him and he and Sophie look really happy.

Final word, there are reports floating around that Ben's parents were backing Redmayne to win and not Ben. It's reported as if they were not supporting Ben at all. Actually what they said was they thought Redmayne would win, which he did.

February 23, 2015 8:10 am  #174

I'm not criticising Ben for not campaigning the way others do - I think that's a ridiculous part of the whole thing anyway - I just think it became obvious that Eddie (or rather his PR people - or both!) - had nailed that part of it.
Ridiculous that people are trying to make BCs parents look bad - everyone knew that ER was pretty much certain to win it; why should they say otherwise?

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

February 23, 2015 9:14 am  #175

People are trying to cook the "scandal" out of pure water again, I think - it´s ridiculous. There was nothing wrong with Ben´s parents comments.

Wonderful that TIG won one Oscar! YAY!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 23, 2015 9:42 am  #176

Even a nomination is really a great thing and I would be happy for him if he had lost to someone other than to Redmayne - to Keaton, who was excellent, even if not "as good as" IMO, or to Spall who was "as good as", but hadn't even got a nomination.
Redmayne seems a genuinely nice guy and he had time to spend months on promoting the film but still, the movie itself was desperately shallow and bland and there was nothing to say about his performance but how perfectly he nailed Hawking's disability and his charming smile. He didn't nail his personality, because film Hawking has none.
And it is ironic that Redmayne got all these awards for an average performance in a very mediocre film, while Benedict's brilliant Hawking didn't even win him a Bafta. Sure, it was just a tv movie, but it had far better script and a performance that was not only physical but actually had a psychological depth as well.

February 23, 2015 9:48 am  #177

Completely agree with everything you say there, nakahara

"And in the end,
The Love you take
                                             The Beatles

February 23, 2015 10:24 am  #178

miriel68 wrote:

Even a nomination is really a great thing and I would be happy for him if he had lost to someone other than to Redmayne - to Keaton, who was excellent, even if not "as good as" IMO, or to Spall who was "as good as", but hadn't even got a nomination.
Redmayne seems a genuinely nice guy and he had time to spend months on promoting the film but still, the movie itself was desperately shallow and bland and there was nothing to say about his performance but how perfectly he nailed Hawking's disability and his charming smile. He didn't nail his personality, because film Hawking has none.
And it is ironic that Redmayne got all these awards for an average performance in a very mediocre film, while Benedict's brilliant Hawking didn't even win him a Bafta. Sure, it was just a tv movie, but it had far better script and a performance that was not only physical but actually had a psychological depth as well.

Agree with everything. Also I think Spall is a great actor and deserves more appreciation and I do have some idea of what I'm talking about as I acted as a child. I was in several movies actually. Anyhow, it seems Redmayne's win was a forgon conclusion and most reviews I've seen seem to have focused on how physical it was rather than anything else. Then again, hardly any of them have seen Ben's version.

I hate to say this but I find Hawkin's smile rather alarming.

Last edited by JenHart (February 23, 2015 10:31 am)

February 23, 2015 11:48 am  #179

miriel68 wrote:

That´s why I have this uncanny feeling that Benedict "spiritually" won an Oscar too.

He managed to act what is practically a same role brilliantly as a young man and a "debutante" already....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 23, 2015 1:21 pm  #180

Bottomlline.
Benedict has already had a fantastic career to date.  Fairly certain that he will continue to do amazing work and get many more awards and nominations.
And even if he never wins an Oscar in his life, he'll be in some pretty impressive company.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera