BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2015 8:42 pm  #81

Re: Oscars

This is really an enjoyable article. And it captures very well what is special about Benedict and what distinguishes him from others. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 21, 2015 5:27 am  #82

I guess you could label this another article that gives someone a wider perspective on the Oscar race -

http://wtvr.com/2015/02/20/why-the-best-picture-doesnt-always-win-the-oscar/

I am always stunned to find out which movies didn't get Best Picture (or who's sublime performance didn't get Best Actor or Actress, etc.).  Tonight we watched Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and I was sure it had got at least one Oscar but nope! when I checked afterwards... it didn't (6 noms but no wins).

I think the ending of this piece with Spielberg's 2011 quote really puts the whole thing in the correct framing.

I would love it if TIG won best picture (or any of the other awards the film is up for) but even if it doesn't, the fact remains that it is still among  "good company" and there are a lot of producers/screenwriters/actors/directors who would gladly switch places with them just to be nominated.

-Val

Last edited by Ah-chie (February 21, 2015 5:49 am)

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 21, 2015 9:12 am  #83

I am simply thrilled for all the nominations, I am not getting my hopes up though.

I would just really like to see this film win something, even one of the smaller awards; Not only in itself is it an amazing film but in a way I also feel like Alan Turing deserves it too...

I was just on the Danish cinema site, and there was a long poll about what films people hoped would win. I was so thrilled to see that TIG scored highest in most of the 8 categories!

But it's not about the general audience when it comes to the Oscars. 

No matter what, I'm going to sit ready in my red gala dress and watch this all night. I can't wait to see Benedict! And hey, if all fails he's still presenting 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 21, 2015 12:18 pm  #84

I think TIG still has a very good chance for the Adaptated Screenplay Oscar.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 21, 2015 12:45 pm  #85

Yes, winning the WGA really helped up its chances in that regard.  I think the Best Adapted Screenplay is a very attainable goal.  That would be really lovely indeed.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 21, 2015 3:48 pm  #86

Thought I would just add this article from yesterday's Variety site -

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/how-sniper-imitation-game-and-selma-made-a-difference-beyond-oscar-race-1201437162/

I think it shows clearly that the charge that TIG was "Oscar bait" from the get-go is pretty well false.  This is a movie that was made first and foremost with a direct passion in mind - from the director, actors and so on.  It didn't have any other real goal in mind when it was being made except to get the remarkable story of Turing out to as wide of audience as possible.  Not to have a distributor lined up when you are making a small movie is a scary thing and even exceptional films can die on the vine if you can't get someone to show your film around.  But everyone involved with this project really believed in it to the point of sacrificing their normal fees to make it happen. 

With that kind of passionate pedigree it is indeed unfortunate that there are those out there that insist on propogating the myth that TIG was a manipulated concoction on the part of HW to get another Oscar notch in his belt and was geared from conception to win the hearts and minds of the voting academy members as traditional Oscar fare.  

If one message has been coming to the forefront in every interview by BC, GM, MT and everyone who has been talking about it since its premiere, it is all about the importance of Turing's story being better known - the story, the story, the story! 

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 21, 2015 7:41 pm  #87

A short but interesting interview with Morten Tyldum about the Oscar race and how tiring it can be. But also about the interesting camaraderie and closeness of the nominees. 

It's in Norwegian, but it should be fine to run it through Google Translate (or ask me for specific parts if it doesn't translate well).

http://www.dagbladet.no/2015/02/21/kultur/oscar/film/hollywood/morten_tyldum/37812546/

Last edited by Vhanja (February 21, 2015 7:47 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 21, 2015 8:39 pm  #88

Thanks Vhanja for this - very interesting indeed!

And the Google translate did all right I think.  At least I think it did...  I liked the part about all the dresses his partner had to try on compared to his few suits he had for all the gala events they have to go to! 

Hmmm... you just gave me an idea! I just posted an interview Ben did in the Turkish press and maybe I should run it through the Google translator.  It isn't very accurate but at least it will give the gist of the conversation.

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 21, 2015 11:59 pm  #89

Thanks Ah-chie, glad you liked it!

Norwegian online newspapers are going crazy with the Oscar frenzie, with articles upon articles trying to analyze who will win what and where TIG stands in all this. There's even an article about Turing supposedly having done something for Norway (I don't know what it's about since you have to have a paid sub to read that particular article, and I don't have that). It's of course the fact that Tyldum is directing that makes this such a big thing in Norwegian media, but I think it's quite cool.

Also, I don't really mind seeing Ben's face in Norwegian newspapers... 

Last edited by Vhanja (February 22, 2015 12:00 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

February 22, 2015 4:38 pm  #90

Benedict is supposed to present an award tonight as well, right? Do we know what the category is? I've been looking a bit and couldn't find anything... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

February 22, 2015 11:57 pm  #91

Aw, the Norwegian Prime Minister made a little speech to Tyldum today, about his Oscar nominations.

Team Hudders!

February 23, 2015 12:17 am  #92

Aw great!

The Danish reporter just interviewed Tyldum! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 23, 2015 12:17 am  #93

Btw, this is what you'll have to look for:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 23, 2015 12:44 am  #94

Yeah, Ben was just interviewed now! Looked gorgeous, of course. White jacket, hadn't excepted that. Well, eggshell-white, actually.

Team Hudders!

February 23, 2015 12:47 am  #95

He looked so handsome!

He couldn't stop smiling, awh. Bless him!! Sophie looks GORGEOUS too!

(is it awkward that without knowing, I am wearing a red dress with bright red lips?)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 23, 2015 12:51 am  #96

Oh, absolutely - they both look so stunning!  I love Sophie's beautiful off the shoulder red dress and Ben looks like a gorgeous dapper gent in his white tux jacket and dark buttoned shirt!!

What a pair...

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

February 23, 2015 12:52 am  #97

They are lovely!

The Norwegian commentators talked a bit about Ben. They said he had chosen a 1920s type of classy look. But one of the Norwegian clothing designers made the following statement:

"Wearing a smoking during Oscars is like wearing a condom - you do it because it's safe". 

Team Hudders!

February 23, 2015 12:54 am  #98

The danes LOVED Ben's choice of wearing white and said that Sophie was beautiful, and dressed well as a pregnant lady.

Only negative, his bowtie wasn't straight...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 23, 2015 12:58 am  #99

OMG! *Squeals with cuteness*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

February 23, 2015 1:02 am  #100

Wheeee, so adorable!

(But I just read today that selfies weren't allowed during the Oscars. But that could be just within the hall itself).

Team Hudders!

Board footera