BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2015 2:45 pm  #181

Re: Oscars

tonnaree wrote:

Bottomlline.
Benedict has already had a fantastic career to date.  Fairly certain that he will continue to do amazing work and get many more awards and nominations.
And even if he never wins an Oscar in his life, he'll be in some pretty impressive company.

Absolutely right. And I actually liked very much what Julianne Moore said in her acceptance speech: That there is no such thing as a best actress/best actor. The films are different, the roles are different and yes, there certainly are talented and not so talented actors out there, on the whole. And there certainly are actors out there who would have deserved a nomination, too, but weren't nominated. If you play along with this game you have to accept that a decision has to be made in the end and that it's human beings who give their votes - and some of them (many of them?) probably don't go about it all that objectively.
And it's true, lots of wonderful actors or directors never won an Oscar and did get an honorary Oscar in the end. That's just how it goes.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

February 23, 2015 2:53 pm  #182

I have a feeling that all these awards for Redmayne will turn out to be a bit of a curse. It's happened before. He's OK but he's just not that great and people will be disappointed in him. His performance in his latest film has not been well received, for example. As for Ben, even in flops he's always been great.

February 23, 2015 3:07 pm  #183

It's so true that you absolutely cannot say definitively that this or that movie/actor is. " the best" and that many many extremely talented actors never ever won a major award.
Tim Spall has already been mentioned; he's a fantastic, very underrated actor.
I thought Jake Gyllenhaal was great in Nightcrawler, too, but he was also overlooked.
The Oscars are what they are and shouldn't be taken too seriously, imo - it's the quality of an actors body of work that says the most about them.

Last edited by Tinks (February 23, 2015 3:08 pm)

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 23, 2015 3:15 pm  #184

That´s right.
Awards are awards - but they cannot be a substitution for a wonderful feeling some artists can evoke in you with their acting, writing, painting or composing.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 23, 2015 3:17 pm  #185

Very happy to not see any sore losers on the forum. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 23, 2015 3:33 pm  #186

LOL, tonnaree :D
Seriously though, I honestly, sincerely, don't feel sore at all about Benedict not winning; I absolutely didn't expect him to anyway.
But I stand by my belief that Eddie is not an outstanding actor, but that the judges were more swayed by the role he was playing - in my opinion there were other actors who gave far better performances this year who weren't even nominated.
But it's all about opinion, isn't it?

"And in the end,
The Love you take
Is equal to the Love you make"
                                             The Beatles

February 23, 2015 3:37 pm  #187

You are very correct Tink.  I"ve enjoyed the Oscars for years.  Use to have parties for them.  But I have learned to not get too worked up about who wins. 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 23, 2015 4:34 pm  #188

tonnaree wrote:

Bottomlline.
Benedict has already had a fantastic career to date.  Fairly certain that he will continue to do amazing work and get many more awards and nominations.
And even if he never wins an Oscar in his life, he'll be in some pretty impressive company.

Absolutely right..

I think it´s fantastic that he was nominated and got to be there with his parents and pregnant wife.. the award would have been the cherry on top, but nevertheless he had a great year and must have been so proud and happy with everything that happened.

February 23, 2015 4:44 pm  #189

tonnaree wrote:

Ahhhh, Oscar Night!!!!! - don't remind me!

Like that? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 23, 2015 4:48 pm  #190

The nomination for Best Actor was a genuine and meaningful honor and compliment, because the nominations for Best Actor are made by other actors. The awards are voted on by the entire Academy, and all sorts of other things come into play.

I am completely and absolutely confident that this won't be Benedict's only such honor.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 23, 2015 6:48 pm  #191

I am just as confident as you REReader! 

As Ben has said in the past, he is in this for the long haul and the important thing is the work not the awards or the titles. He will have other chances for recognition in the future I am sure because he is so passionate about the kind of work he does. He is dedicated to his craft and it shows from his starring roles right down to the very smallest of parts.

I am not upset about the results of the Oscars really.  I think Birdman was an excellent movie and I was pleased to see GBH got a lot of recognition as well (it was another film that I loved). 

Sure there were a few kinks in the road for me personally (I don't think ER was THE Best Actor for my money, in that group of five, but it wasn't as if Chris Cooper got it - that would have been a true injustice IMO) but I loved that TIG got Best Adapted Screenplay (GM's speech was so heartwrenching and uplifting).  Seeing all the clips of Whiplash has really made me determined to see this one when I get the opportunity. 

It really is true that the nominations are an affirmation from your peers of quality work which means a lot to the actors who are singled out for such high praise. 

But when it comes down to the actual direct competition of who gets the statue among that small select group, I am sure sometimes it feels like a "Sophie's Choice" for a lot of people to choose one that will be considered better than all the rest. 

Rarely does "The Best" of something just jump out at you.  Most of the time you know when you see something that reaches a certain level of excellence, but if you have two such objects (often disparately different in many aspects) trying to choose the best one is near impossible.That's when a lot of subjective factors come into play and it becomes much more of a crapshoot I think. 

It's like how I feel about comparing KK and ES's performances.  I really do like both of them equally and comparing them was almost impossible for me.  The two performances were so different and came from such different places. 
But both, to me, were absolutely perfect for the movies they were in.  So, which one was the "best"?  I might as well toss a pair of dice because it is that close to me.  It is almost cruel to go through this exercise.  And I am sure a lot of actors might feel the same way too. 

Among the five best actor nominees of the ones I saw, I think MK and BC's performances were outstanding and once again the conundrum of chosing who was the best is something that seems almost counterproductive to even evaluating each performance.

My heart and gut would have to be with BC - but that might just be because I know how much he put into that performance.  I adore his acting and think he is worthy of exceptional praise.  So I want the recognition of an Oscar to be his.  And the part (and the movie) was a significant one to be sure.  So I wanted his success to also be part of the success of The Imitation Game. 

But realistically I could see a fan of MK and of the movie The Birdman having these same feelings and thoughts and being fully justified in doing so. 

As a lover of the arts in all its glorious forms I often find myself fascinated in awards but also appalled by the competative nature of them at the same time. 

It is something that doesn't rest too easy with me upon reflection.  Its like trying to compare the Mona Lisa to Gurenica - which is better??  I just could never do it.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

February 23, 2015 7:24 pm  #192

tonnaree wrote:

Oh, not at all.
And although we've just established that it's a good thing not to take all of this too seriously... I was lucky enough to watch the show last night (and here in Germany it really was night, it started at 2 a.m.) with two lovely ladies from this board and boy, did we shout "YESSSSS...!!!" when Graham Moore was announced for Best Adapted Screenplay.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

February 23, 2015 7:49 pm  #193

Personally, I think if you are following the career of someone and they are nominated for an award it is only human nature to want them to win and to be disappointed if they don't, especially if you actually don't like, for some reason, one or more of the other nominees. That's life and I refuse to pretend I am happy about TIG only getting one Oscar. However, I think Benedict has a long and fruitful career ahead of him and awards may come, but if they don't I'll still think he's better than everyone else.

February 23, 2015 7:54 pm  #194

SolarSystem wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Oh, not at all.
And although we've just established that it's a good thing not to take all of this too seriously... I was lucky enough to watch the show last night (and here in Germany it really was night, it started at 2 a.m.) with two lovely ladies from this board and boy, did we shout "YESSSSS...!!!" when Graham Moore was announced for Best Adapted Screenplay.

I had heard of this gathering and thought about you guys.  I should learn how to Skype!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

February 23, 2015 8:42 pm  #195

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 23, 2015 8:51 pm  #196

Perfect!

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

February 23, 2015 11:49 pm  #197

Lovely put. And I hope that he really means it, and that it's not just something he says to the press.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 24, 2015 10:23 am  #198

tonnaree wrote:

SolarSystem wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Oh, not at all.

I had heard of this gathering and thought about you guys.  I should learn how to Skype!

I'm not a Skype expert, either, but you're right, sometimes it just needs a little incentive... It definitely would have been fun to have you there with us via world wide web. 

February 24, 2015 10:59 am  #199

Oh yes, I second that. A participation via Skype would have been fun.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 24, 2015 11:59 am  #200

Here is Benedict's complete answer to the above gif:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K14N06HzaSo

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera