BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2015 8:24 am  #41

Re: Do we agree with the Radio Times ranking?

[8] His Last Vow
[2] A Scandal in Belgravia -2
[5] The Reichenbach Fall 
[5] A Study in Pink +1

Eliminated: 9. The Blind Banker, 8. The Hounds of Baskerville, 7. The Empty Hearse, 6. The Sign of Three, 5. The Great Game

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 15, 2015 8:59 am  #42

[6] His Last Vow -2
[3] A Scandal in Belgravia +1
[5] The Reichenbach Fall 
[5] A Study in Pink 

Eliminated: 9. The Blind Banker, 8. The Hounds of Baskerville, 7. The Empty Hearse, 6. The Sign of Three, 5. The Great Game

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 15, 2015 1:00 pm  #43

[6] His Last Vow
[4] A Scandal in Belgravia +1
[5] The Reichenbach Fall 
[3] A Study in Pink -2

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 15, 2015 3:08 pm  #44

[7] His Last Vow +1
[4] A Scandal in Belgravia
[3] The Reichenbach Fall -2
[3] A Study in Pink

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

January 15, 2015 6:12 pm  #45

[7] His Last Vow
[3] The Reichenbach Fall
[5] A Study in Pink +1

eliminated:
9. The Blind Banker, 8. The Hounds of Baskerville, 7. The Empty Hearse, 6. The Sign of Three, 5. The Great Game 4. A Scandal in Belgravia

Last edited by Whisky (January 15, 2015 6:13 pm)

"It is what it is."

January 16, 2015 5:06 am  #46

[8] His Last Vow +1
[1] The Reichenbach Fall -2
[5] A Study in Pink

eliminated:
9. The Blind Banker, 8. The Hounds of Baskerville, 7. The Empty Hearse, 6. The Sign of Three, 5. The Great Game 4. A Scandal in Belgravia

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 16, 2015 6:05 am  #47

[9] His Last Vow +1
[-1] The Reichenbach Fall -2

[5] A Study in Pink

eliminated:
9. The Blind Banker, 8. The Hounds of Baskerville, 7. The Empty Hearse, 6. The Sign of Three, 5. The Great Game 4. A Scandal in Belgravia 3. The Reichenbach Fall

Last edited by gently69 (January 16, 2015 6:06 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 16, 2015 8:09 am  #48

[7] His Last Vow -2
[6] A Study in Pink +1

eliminated:
9. TBB, 8. THoB, 7. TEH, 6. TSoT, 5. TGG, 4. ASiB, 3. TRF

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 16, 2015 8:09 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 16, 2015 8:49 am  #49

[3] His Last Vow -2
[8] A Study in Pink +1

eliminated:

Last edited by Vhanja (January 16, 2015 8:49 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2015 10:30 am  #50

[1] His Last Vow -2
[9] A Study in Pink +1

eliminated:

January 16, 2015 3:39 pm  #51

[2] His Last Vow +1
[7] A Study in Pink -2

eliminated:

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

January 16, 2015 4:10 pm  #52

[3] His Last Vow +1
[5] A Study in Pink -2

eliminated:

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 17, 2015 8:12 am  #53

[2] His Last Vow +1
[4] A Study in Pink -2

eliminated:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

January 17, 2015 9:07 am  #54

[0] His Last Vow -2
[5] A Study in Pink +1

eliminated:
9. TBB, 8. THoB, 7. TEH, 6. TSoT, 5. TGG, 4. ASiB, 3. TRF 2. HLV

Team Hudders!

January 17, 2015 10:33 am  #55

Well, and there we are. We have a winner - ASiP. And while I really love this episode I find it a bit sad that the very first episode was voted best. Because it implies that everything which came after that is not as good as the beginning. Or is it for nostalgic reasons? 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 17, 2015 10:35 am  #56

This ranking is certainly not the one I would've chosen myself. 

Team Hudders!

January 17, 2015 3:23 pm  #57

Swanpride wrote:

I think most people would agre that TBB, HOB and TEH are the worst episodes (relatively naturally). And I think that most people would agree that the Cliff-hanger episodes plus ASiP are the best.

*ahem* Nope. I agree about TBB and HOB being the two worst ones, but TEH is one of my favorites. And even though I love ASiP, I don't think it's the best one. (Actually, when you take TBB, HoB and HLV out of the equation, I have a hard time ranking the rest as I find them all sublime).

Team Hudders!

January 17, 2015 3:58 pm  #58

Of all the stories, ASiP is the most canon compliant - it is the fairly accurate adaptation of Study in Scarlett with a few modern gimmicks added into it. Is this a hint that Moftiss shouldn´t try to bring their own ideas into the narrative, because what actually works are the ideas of Arthur Conan Doyle? 

That aside, I find it fairly pointless to rank the episodes that are only nine in number as good or bad. Being so few, they have a comparable quality and even a generally disliked TBB has numerous scenes that I absolutely love, for example:

John´s fight with "chip-n-pin" machine
Sherlock trying to "revive" John´s memory by spinning him around and then a revelation that John took a photograph
John arrested for vandalism - graffiti
"I always work alone because no one can compete with my massive intelect!"
Sherlock miscomprehending that there´s a difference between him going out with John and John´s date with Sarah (he is right - there isn´t any!)
Sherlock crashing John´s date at circus
General Shan mistaking John for Sherlock and pulling various Sherlock´s belongings out of John´s valet

Remind me, why is this episode so hated? It´s so funny!

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 17, 2015 4:08 pm  #59

SusiGo wrote:

Well, and there we are. We have a winner - ASiP. And while I really love this episode I find it a bit sad that the very first episode was voted best. Because it implies that everything which came after that is not as good as the beginning. Or is it for nostalgic reasons? 

Well, I apologise in advance if I am taking this all too seriously by what I am about to say (and I do appreciate that you did give it a "wink" at the end) but I really don't think this exercise can be used to imply anything - especially not that "everything" that came after ASiP was not as good as the beginning. 

All it does show is that a good handful of active posters on this board (15  by my count) had some fun.  Really, half the time I voted down episodes that I absolutely love, so it didn't reflect my true opinion about the quality of any of  these episodes in the least. 

Can I ask a question?  How large of sampling was the Radio Times survey?  I don't know if I ever read anything that stated how many replies they had to their survey question. 

-Val

-Benedict Cumberbatch

January 17, 2015 4:21 pm  #60

nakahara wrote:

Of all the stories, ASiP is the most canon compliant - it is the fairly accurate adaptation of Study in Scarlett with a few modern gimmicks added into it. Is this a hint that Moftiss shouldn´t try to bring their own ideas into the narrative, because what actually works are the ideas of Arthur Conan Doyle? 

That aside, I find it fairly pointless to rank the episodes that are only nine in number as good or bad. Being so few, they have a comparable quality and even a generally disliked TBB has numerous scenes that I absolutely love, for example:

John´s fight with "chip-n-pin" machine
Sherlock trying to "revive" John´s memory by spinning him around and then a revelation that John took a photograph
John arrested for vandalism - graffiti
"I always work alone because no one can compete with my massive intelect!"
Sherlock miscomprehending that there´s a difference between him going out with John and John´s date with Sarah (he is right - there isn´t any!)
Sherlock crashing John´s date at circus
General Shan mistaking John for Sherlock and pulling various Sherlock´s belongings out of John´s valet

Remind me, why is this episode so hated? It´s so funny!

Most of those bits are funny (except the last one). The Sherlock/John scenes are always the highlight in any episode for me, TBB included. But I just feel the writing is off - too many unbelievable conicidences to forward the story, and the old "yellow mafia" view of Asian villains that I really dislike. 

Team Hudders!

Board footera