BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2015 8:13 am  #41

Re: Ben on Ellen 14.Jan '15

I was very disappointed by the interview, it felt so... four years ago, with cumberb...s., impressions and ah... baby's name (ok, this was not 4 years ago, just lame). When he was talking about TIG you could tell from Ellen's impatient face that she wants get rid of it to go to "funny" stuff.

January 16, 2015 8:20 am  #42

I felt the same. Jokes are fine and of course this is pure entertainment but these things are really getting old. He only gets the chance to squeeze in the standard words about Turing and after that it is only name jokes and doing impressions. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 16, 2015 8:20 am  #43

Yes, his five sentences about TIG felt almost tragic to me, because you could really feel that he wanted to at least talk a little bit about it - but yes, you could also see that that's not what Ellen had in mind and what this show is about. I'm not against funny, not at all, but it would be nice if people at least came up with something new. And yes, okay, the Cumberbitches might still be new to a large part of the American audience, but still... it's so cringeworthy.
And I would think that for Benedict shows like these must feel like a complete waste of time, even if they might make a couple of viewers go and see the movie in the end.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 16, 2015 8:48 am  #44

I just figured that TIG has been out for so long now that he wasn't there mainly for promoting the movie, just for fun, really.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2015 8:49 am  #45

But these kind of shows ... they are always the same. Only made to get as many laughter as possible. To talk seriously  about a topic you certainly need other shows. And I don't know if there are any on American TV with a really big audience.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 16, 2015 8:51 am  #46

Vhanja wrote:

I just figured that TIG has been out for so long now that he wasn't there mainly for promoting the movie, just for fun, really.

Old jokes about Cumberbitches aren't really funny anymore.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

January 16, 2015 8:52 am  #47

Vhanja wrote:

TIG is nominated for the Oscars or at that time the nominations were rumoured. Not the right time for NOT talking about it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

January 16, 2015 9:01 am  #48

I really do not believe that he goes there for fun. He strikes me as someone who prefers to have fun with friends and family. This is work, nothing else. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 16, 2015 9:07 am  #49

It definitely is work. Well, it's okay if he has a laugh in this shows now and then and I also think that's genuine ... a lot of times. But this shows also mean a lot of stress for him.

(Tony Hadley)

January 16, 2015 9:10 am  #50

Of course it is work, but everbody knows what US talk shows are like. You say three lines about the movie you are promoting, and then the host just talk superficial idiocy to get giggles and good mood. Just about all US talk shows are like that, he knew what he was saying yes to. It's about PR, really. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2015 9:14 am  #51

Right, as you said it's a must for him, not really fun.

(Tony Hadley)

January 16, 2015 9:18 am  #52

What I meant was that the purpose of the show was more to give the audience some light-hearted fun that to do some serious promo for the movie.

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2015 9:30 am  #53

The thing is, there were quite a few moments in which he didn't appear all that light-hearted to me, but rather a bit umcomfortable. 
But in the end none of us knows what goes on in his head and in his heart. It's just that I'm not even sure he does have a real choice when it comes to such tv shows. I doubt it's all that easy for him to say 'No' to them, even if he'd like to.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 16, 2015 9:33 am)

January 16, 2015 9:34 am  #54

Vhanja wrote:

What I meant was that the purpose of the show was more to give the audience some light-hearted fun that to do some serious promo for the movie.

I understood that. (Maybe) fun for the audience, a must for Benedict.

Last edited by gently69 (January 16, 2015 9:35 am)

(Tony Hadley)

January 16, 2015 9:34 am  #55

Saying "No" to Ellen would not be a good move at all, I think. Publicity in the US while having an Oscar nomination is gold, and he knows it. Ellen is vastly popular, and he knows that too.

I agree he looked a bit uncomfortable. I guess it's one of those things he has to endure with his job, I guess. All jobs have their downsides, stuff you would rather not do but that you just get on with because you know it's part of the job. And this is it for him, I imagine.

Team Hudders!

January 16, 2015 9:36 am  #56

Yes. And I suppose there are shows where he feels more at east than in others. For example on Graham Norton he usually seems quite relaxed. The worst moments are when he is shoved in for about three minutes and interviewed by someone who hardly knows his name. 

January 16, 2015 9:42 am  #57

SusiGo wrote:

The worst moments are when he is shoved in for about three minutes and interviewed by someone who hardly knows his name. 

Any three minutes appearance filled with the Cumberb*tches topic is absolutely needless.

(Tony Hadley)

January 16, 2015 11:23 am  #58

Doing these bits on shows like Ellen is part of the Weinstein Oscar campaign, and that lot knows how to get Oscar attention. It's also part of doing promo work for a film--part would be a contractual obligation, and part would be supporting a film he clearly cares about. Ellen gets to an audience that doesn't necessarily see the nighttime talk shows, so it's an important gig. Also, Ellen does know what her audience likes--and TIG is the sort of film she'd be happy to support.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

January 16, 2015 4:07 pm  #59

It's all about widening the demographic for the film as much as possible.  With only few rare exceptions most people connected with creative endevours like films, TV programmes, books, plays, etc. are contractually obligated to do PR for the company that puts up the money to make it.  I think it is quite evident that BC cares a lot about this film and wants it to do well and get Turing's story out to a wider audience.  So he does as much publicity as his busy schedule will allow.

About it being repetative... that is the nature of the beast.  It is only very pale in comparison but my hubby has gone on a number of publicity junkets for his books (TV, radio, newspaper, magazine interviews) and it was grinding and it wears you down, but if you care about your work, you do it regardless.  It isn't easy flying all over the place and living away from familiar surroundings. 

And he repeated the same info many times over because for each interview it is the first time they are asking you that question, so you do tend to stick with familiar phrases and topics to get your point across when you are tired and just really want to go home but still feel passionate about your work. 

Some interviews are surprisingly pleasant and refreshing, others are downright embarrassing (one fellow hadn't read anything more than the dustjacket and asked completely inane questions) and yes, Dan was more comfortable talking with some interviewers than others (you can always tell when you see the videos). 

That happens but it isn't really a big deal.  It's part of the process. 

I thought the Ellen show went well enough.  He did look a bit nervous and a tad uncomfortable at times but nothing overtly so.  It wasn't the best interview he has had and it was "fluffy" for the majority of it but it was the first time he has been on her show so it really isn't comparable to something like the Graham Norton show, is it? 

If I had my druthers I would prefer BC to be on something like The Tavis Smiley Show on PBS.  He's a great interviewer, serious and yet relaxing for him guests and he just does interviews (no comedy sketches or stand up routines).  He usually has only two guests (and sometimes just a single guest) and they come out separately for their own segment for a one-on-one interview and that's it.  But it is aired very late and so it doesn't get as huge as audience as something like one of the talk shows (Ellen or one of the late night comedian show - sorry I don't watch them so I don't know their names... Jimmie something). 

Still I do hope someday BC will be on the Tavis Smiley show.  It would be great.

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

January 16, 2015 5:23 pm  #60

Ah-chie wrote:

Still I do hope someday BC will be on the Tavis Smiley show.  It would be great.

-Val

He may not have done Travis Smiley, but he did do an interview with Charlie Rose (also late night on PBS, also one-on-one and serious); you can see it on Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/watch/719538

It's a wonderful interview, deep and nuanced, and you can see that Benedict was enjoying the chance to sit quietly and really talk--and at the end, Charlie asked him (on camera) to come back after he did Hamlet. 

Last edited by REReader (January 16, 2015 5:55 pm)

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

Board footera