BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 17, 2015 10:26 pm  #161

Re: Questions and ponderings about Sherlock

I had actually noticed that before, but I never thought much of it, just a change in Martin's hair or the stylist's preference or something.  The change in point of view is an interesting take on it.

Clueing for looks.

October 18, 2015 7:46 am  #162

It makes perfectly sense, and shows once more how subtle and thoughtful every detail is chosen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 18, 2015 12:05 pm  #163

Vhanja wrote:

Ok, so always get more small questions when rewatching an episode. HoB this time:

1. Why does John cave in and hand Sherlock the cigarettes? For the puppy dog look?
2. Why does Sherlock says he will only send John to Dartmoor only to say he will come after all five seconds later?
3. While sitting outside talking to Fletcher about "the bet", Sherlock seems to be drinking beer and John a glass of coke - but Sherlock is the one driving straight after. Just seemed a bit odd. (Or perhaps you are allowed to drive in the UK after one beer, I don't know).

Quoting myself on this one. Rewatching S2 and I might have found a possible explanation for question 1 and 2:

My feeling now while watching HoB was that Sherlock was using the hiding place of the cigarettes as a pressure point towards John. "If you don't tell me where the cigarettes are, I will have you go alone to Dartmoor." I got that from John's resigned "Ah, ok!" after Sherlock going on about how "busy" he was. He goes to get the cigarettes, Sherlock tosses them away but immediately agrees to go to Dartmoor.

Dunno, just made sense when I saw it. What do you guys think?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

October 18, 2015 12:59 pm  #164

Well I agree with you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 18, 2015 2:17 pm  #165

Also, I think it's reference to the original story, where Watson goes off without Sherlock. 

As for drinking, yes, I'd think that the average man could drink a pint of beer and be under the drink/drive limit.   A lot of people do it regularly.   (There isn't a set amount of units that is allowed - your blood/breath/urine have to be under certain limits). 

October 18, 2015 2:19 pm  #166

I'm just chuckling in remembering the production disgareement(that was the Moffat family disagreement) over whether to have the boys go to Baskerville or the village first!

Last edited by besleybean (October 18, 2015 2:20 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

October 18, 2015 2:21 pm  #167

I get the reference, but if that was all it was, it was done in a really weird way. "Sorry, can't got. Oh, yes, I can" - in the same scene.

As for the third question in my quote, I think it was established that Sherlock picked a half-finished glass from another table as a prop.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

October 18, 2015 2:25 pm  #168

Ah,of course(on the pint thing)...
But might be worth remembering, they had originally wanted John to drive, but at the time Martin couldn't!

October 18, 2015 2:28 pm  #169

Another thing from TRF. Mycroft says that nothing could make Moriarty talk, except Mycroft himself, when he talked about Sherlock.

However, all we see of this so-called secret government torture is a few slaps to the face. Something most people would be able to endure. Of course, you could say that this show has a rating to adher to, and can't be too graphic. But the torture we see being done to Sherlock in TEH (and what is implied) is much, MUCH worse than the few slaps in the face that Moriarty is subjected to.

Team Hudders!

October 18, 2015 2:33 pm  #170

Possibly we're supposed to feel more sympathy for Sherlock than we are for Moriarty.

October 18, 2015 2:41 pm  #171

And quite possibly they don't really want to suggest that the British government tortures people. 

October 18, 2015 2:44 pm  #172

Though apparently Mycroft enjoys watching it...or is that only when it's Sherlock?!

Last edited by besleybean (October 18, 2015 2:51 pm)

October 18, 2015 2:47 pm  #173

Well, this is the second time torture is mentioned in the hand of the British government (first time being Mycroft to Irene).

As for Mycroft enjoying it, that's Sherlock's assessment, and we have a thread of it's own for that argument.

Team Hudders!

October 21, 2015 11:38 am  #174

Does anyone know if the character of Anderson was a nod to a real Scotland Yard detective called Robert Anderson? I came across this in a book I'm reading called The World of Sherlock Holmes (published 1998)

"There were shelves for reference books. And shelves for the ever-expanding encyclopaedia of Holmes's own selection of cuttings. These found Adler, Irene, nestling between Adler, Rabbi, indeed, the Chief Rabbi in the 1880s, who may or may not have been friendly to Holmes, as he was definitely a personal friend of Dr Robert Anderson, head of that Scotland Yard CID about which Holmes was prone to be so rude;"

A Google search came up with this:
"In 1877 his special knowledge of the ways of conspirators led to his appointment as Irish Agent at the Home Office, and, in 1888, when London was in the midst of the "Jack the Ripper" scare, he moved into Scotland Yard as Assistant Commissioner of Metropolitan Police and Chief of the Criminal Investigation Department. Arthur Conan Doyle was entertaining London at that time with his Sherlock Holmes stories, but it was Anderson and his staff who were ridding the city of crime and criminals. The records show that crime decreased in London during that period. He directed this work till 1901, when he was knighted upon retiring."
http://www.fbinstitute.com/Anderson/Sir%20Robert.htm

It kind of fits with Anderson's attitude to Sherlock in s1&s2, don't you think?

Edited to say... of course! That's why the "How I Did It by Jack the Ripper" gag on TEH! I'm so slow...

Last edited by ukaunz (October 21, 2015 11:56 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 21, 2015 11:57 am  #175

Vhanja wrote:

Another thing from TRF. Mycroft says that nothing could make Moriarty talk, except Mycroft himself, when he talked about Sherlock.

However, all we see of this so-called secret government torture is a few slaps to the face. Something most people would be able to endure. Of course, you could say that this show has a rating to adher to, and can't be too graphic. But the torture we see being done to Sherlock in TEH (and what is implied) is much, MUCH worse than the few slaps in the face that Moriarty is subjected to.

I always understood this in the way that Moriarty didn't really need any convincing to talk when the topic was Sherlock. I imagine he told Mycroft exactly the things he wanted to tell him, nothing more.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

October 21, 2015 12:39 pm  #176

ukaunz wrote:

Does anyone know if the character of Anderson was a nod to a real Scotland Yard detective called Robert Anderson?

Seriously though. I can't find the answer to this question anywhere. I've tweeted Mark to ask him, but it'll be embarrassing if this has already been explained in a commentary or interview 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

October 21, 2015 4:46 pm  #177

I may be remembering this completely wrong...but I see to remember there being an Anderson in Horowitz's The House of Silk, No I think it was his ' Moriarty'! But of course that was released after Sherlock, anyway.

November 4, 2015 5:34 pm  #178

Sorry, we probably have discussed this before but I think I never found a really satisfying answer. Since it touches both series 2 and 3 I post it in here:

http://dmellieon.tumblr.com/post/132544782488/inevitably-johnlocked-johnnlocked-just

They even forgot one instance of Sherlock being only too aware of pulse-taking and using it for his own benefit - Irene in ASIB. He knows perfectly well how to interpret a pulse and that John (or someone else) would take his pulse after the fall but with Moriarty he does not even try to establish his death. So my questions are:

- Is this sloppy or OOC writing resp. Sherlock being in shock on the roof? 
- Or does he realise that Moriarty faked his death, i.e. that he can everything he does on that roof, and puts on an act for him?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 4, 2015 6:51 pm  #179

The way I mentally justify that observation is as follows:

Taking a pulse is one way to "collect data" when trying to determine if a person is dead or alive.  This data is used to help when coming to a conclusion one way or the other.

It's fairly obvious that Moriarty putting a gun in his mouth and pulling the trigger would make him dead.  The conclusion was already quite clear to Sherlock - therefore, there was no need to collect more data in that instance.  Therefore, Sherlock did not bother to check his pulse.

So why did Sherlock [seemingly] take precautions against John checking for his pulse?

Because oftentimes, Sherlock seems to apply inductive reasoning - he assumes he's clever enough that the probable outcome of his observation is the actual outcome (and he is often right).  John, on the other hand, as a doctor, is trained to check for a pulse just to make absolutely certain.  (And also, even if John "knows" that Sherlock could not have survived, might have checked regardless if he were in a state of denial.)

This is just one possible explanation.

November 4, 2015 7:14 pm  #180

And Moriarty didn't really need to be dead at that moment.  He just needed to be incapacitated enough that he couldn't see Sherlock jump off onto the mattress.  So in a way, it didn't matter if he was dead or dying.  The point was to let Sherlock go after his network, without leaving targets behind. 

(IIRC, in TSOT neither of them think to check if the poor guy's alive or dead for quite some time!).

Board footera