BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 4, 2015 10:37 pm  #101

Re: Questions and ponderings about Sherlock

R.V wrote:

I keep seeing photos from the show of Sherlock with around twenty or so cigarettes in his mouth. He's wearing his blue dressing gown. Which episode is that from? I can find it anywhere.

Definitely "The Sign of the Three". 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 29, 2015 10:42 pm  #102

Since this is the fitting thread (and since I haven't found it anywhere else):

Have you guys noticed that the sweater Anderson is wearing when Sherlock tells him about the fall is the same one John was wearing in ASiP and TGG?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 29, 2015 11:30 pm  #103

It's either exactly the same or very similar.  I remember the sweater, but I hadn't given it much thought.  I wonder whether there's something we're supposed to make of that.  Could be because it's the first time Sherlock's actually shared something with him, just like how John at the beginning of series 1 is first learning things from Sherlock.  I remember noticing that Sherlock also called him "Philip" in that scene, instead of "Anderson," just like how he refers to John by his first name and insisted John call him "Sherlock" and not "Mr. Holmes." 
Could he trust Anderson more, Anderson having proved himself in some way for believing he was alive despite it all?

Clueing for looks.

September 30, 2015 5:19 am  #104

kittykat wrote:

Here's something I've been wondering about. I'm guessing that by Molly's reaction to Sherlock in HLV, he was definitely on drugs and not just faking. Now, I know that Sherlock wanted Magnussen to get wind of it and print it, but...Magnussen says himself that he doesn't have to prove anything, only print it. So wouldn't it have been enough for Sherlock merely to be seen in the drug den? Why go back on the drugs when simply being seen there might have been enough?

I really don't understand that, either. (1) Magnussen never bought the drug addict thing, anyway-- what was the point. (2) Sherlock's pressure point is Opium. Errr-- he wasn't smoking Opium. He certainly didn't behave like someone who had smoked Opium. Or  shot Heroin. Or taken Ocycodone. Or anything else, other than .. a very thin maybe--Cocaine? Maybe. People on Coke aren't generally the sort to hang out in drugs dens. They buy and hang out in nightclubs, or they're tech bro's.  He definitely wasn't on Crack, or Meth.

Then-- when Sherlock is in the hospital, he turns down the morphine because it's bad for brain work!!!! No junkie on earth would ever, ever EVER do that! Not ever! 

Makes no sense whatsoever!

September 30, 2015 7:45 am  #105

Well, I took the drug consumption as a nod to Canon: 

“The division seems rather unfair," I remarked. "You have done
all the work in this business. I get a wife out of it, Jones gets
the credit, pray what remains for you?"
"For me," said Sherlock Holmes, "there still remains the
cocaine-bottle." And he stretched his long white hand up for
it.” 

(The Sign of Four)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 30, 2015 11:28 am  #106

Yeah, I've always seen the drug relapse as a mix of a proper cover in the Anderson case and a way to cope (or not cope) with John being away and Sherlock having to learn to live alone. Or to put it differently: The case cover was a very good excuse.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

October 1, 2015 3:22 am  #107

Vhanja wrote:

Yeah, I've always seen the drug relapse as a mix of a proper cover in the Anderson case and a way to cope (or not cope) with John being away and Sherlock having to learn to live alone. Or to put it differently: The case cover was a very good excuse.

So why did Magnussen see right through it? 

October 1, 2015 4:05 am  #108

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

Because he is clever.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

October 1, 2015 4:10 am  #109

Schmiezi wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

Because he is clever.

That's true-- but what I'm asking is this: a lot of the fandom assumes that Sherlock is "relapsing" and turning into a bona-fide Drug Fiend-- in HLV. For Magnussen to see through that, and know that Sherlock was faking it (and one can do drugs without becoming a Drug Fiend) means that the fandom assumption is...err.. wonky. The idea that Sherlock does the drugs purely to deal with missing John suddenly no longer has legs. Hell, the idea that Sherlock must be watched at all times lest he go back into being a Drug Fiend doesn't hold much water. So, the answer is-- he really was just doing it (however stupidly) for a case. And that makes John's and Molly's treatment of him (in particular) high-handed and rather cruel. 

October 1, 2015 7:10 am  #110

Oh yes, I think Sherlock definitely does it as part of the case, not out of personal despair (remember that he's also conducting the courtship with Janine, so is successfully maintaing a contrasting work persona at around the same time).  He probably actually takes the drugs because  - why not?  He likes it, it's playing the part, and he can deal with it.   I think John (and Molly) get that wrong, taking him in for testing, slapping him, calling Mycroft, etc: all well meant, but not necessary.  He really was "on a case".   The drugs are not an issue as soon as they're out of his system. 

I really don't like that scene with John and Molly.  I feel they should know him well enough to trust him when he says he's on a case, rather than freaking out because it's "Drugs".   John treats him like a child, and Molly assaults him (I know people love her doing that, but I hate it!).   And of course, there are no apologies when they find out that he was in control and doing it for work - not that Sherlock needs or asks for apologies ever (that I recall). 

Last edited by Liberty (October 1, 2015 7:13 am)

October 1, 2015 9:28 am  #111

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

The idea that Sherlock does the drugs purely to deal with missing John suddenly no longer has legs. Hell, the idea that Sherlock must be watched at all times lest he go back into being a Drug Fiend doesn't hold much water. So, the answer is-- he really was just doing it (however stupidly) for a case. And that makes John's and Molly's treatment of him (in particular) high-handed and rather cruel. 

At least in my opinion he doesn't do it purely to deal with missing John. And I haven't read anyone else who view it like that either (although there probarly are someone somewhere who does that).

I think it's more of a convenient coincidence. Not to mention that this could only be possible for Sherlock to do at all with John not living in 221B anymore (he would never have allowed Sherlock to do it if he knew about it beforehand).

I have a feeling that Sherlock wanted to get away, to do something a bit more drastic. I don't think for a second that without the case, he would be in that drug den. But with John gone, Sherlock is now free to take more drastic actions on cases. This cover makes him both able to spend a lot of time away from 221B (a place that holds too many memories of John), makes him able to go after Magnussen, something he really wants to, AND makes him able to forget him missing John for a little while (while being high).

I don't think their reaction was cruel at all, even if Sherlock had done it purely for the case and nothing else. He is an addict, and this is playing with fire. It's like a recovering alcoholic having one beer a night because "I got this under control!". 

Team Hudders!

October 1, 2015 9:57 am  #112

I agree. While I didn't like Molly slapping him, I don't think they were being cruel - they were just really worried for him.

There is another thing that I think it's absurd, instead: Mycroft's role in all this. Let's recap: Mycroft watches Sherlock so closely that he kidnaps John and tests him just because he's spent a few minutes with him; Mycroft makes John stays home on Christmas night and ditch his date to look after Sherlock because it could be a danger night; and YET, in HLV Sherlock is able to spend a lot of time doing drugs in a drug den, and only after John calls him Mycroft becomes aware of the situation???

Has Mycroft stopped monitoring Sherlock for some reason? So weird.

October 1, 2015 10:18 am  #113

I think that althrough they really were patronising and their behaviour was a mistake that was not really helping them to get to Sherlock, I find their mistake to be very human and understandable in that scene.

They knew that Sherlock has history with drugs, that he has possibly some leanings into self-harm (at least John can think that after witnessing Sherlock nearly swallowing a poisonous pill) and so their reaction, even if hysterical, is strong exactly because they care for him and do not want to see him succumbing to addiction. Of course, they are not reasonable, but people tend not to be when strong emotions seize them.

Also, the creators of this show probably didn´t want to sound like an advertisement for this kind of lifestyle, so they portayed the drug-abuse and the reaction of people to it in a more dramatic manner than it would be in RL. Simply to give a signal that such thing is unacceptable (and so John and Molly signal it to Sherlock in strong terms that they would not tolerate it).

Of course, in Molly´s case, the writers probably acted under the mistaken belief that violence perpetrated by female character equalls strenght, which is wrong. But still, I do not percieve this mistake to be that serious, really.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

October 1, 2015 10:49 am  #114

I really hated how John handled the situation. Knowing how Sherlock reacts on Mycroft's attempts to parent him, this was the last thing to do: having him and some random people searching 221B. It wasn't even a drug bust done by professionals.
It doesn't really matter if Sherlock was at risk - after an action like this I wouln't be surprised if he started doing drugs for real only to upset his brother.

And I never had an impression that Sherlock is missing John to the point of taking drugs.
Of course it would be helpful having some facts about Sherlock's drug use from the past. We can only speculate, and make assumptions based on our interpretation of the character. Not enough data...

October 1, 2015 11:04 am  #115

JP wrote:

And I never had an impression that Sherlock is missing John to the point of taking drugs.
Of course it would be helpful having some facts about Sherlock's drug use from the past. We can only speculate, and make assumptions based on our interpretation of the character. Not enough data...

That´s right. From Mycroft´s reaction in ASiB and HLV, you would think that this drug issue was huge in Sherlock´s past and that Sherlock just barely holds himself from slipping into it again. But Mycroft is overbearing in this. And Sherlock doesn´t give an impression that he did drugs beyond the point of his control. Hmmm...

As to that strange "drug bust" in Sherlock´s flat, I believe it to be solely Mycroft´s idea. I can´t imagine John suggesting it on his own.

October 1, 2015 11:26 am  #116

Well, there is a lot of stuff in the series that isn't realistic. I don't find their reaction to his drug use amongst them myself. We know that John has a short temper in general. And he is already miserable and in a bad place, which in general leads people to become angrier quicker. I find John's reaction natural and understandable in the circumstances. 

As I understood in the series, Sherlock turned to drugs when he was bored. We see it in HoB, where he goes crazy after cigarettes when he has nothing on. (Of course, the fact that his addiction can be turned off like a switch the moment he gots something exciting going on, case-wise, is another bit of how the show isn't always realistic. That's not how proper addiction works).

Team Hudders!

October 1, 2015 11:40 am  #117

Yes, and I think people do misunderstand Sherlock's attraction to drugs. He does use when he's bored, yet Mycroft gets overbearing in ASIB because he thinks Sherlock will resort to drugs due to heartbreak - and in my eyes Sherlock is kind of weirded out by this (he goes 'why??' when Mycroft offers him a cigarette, because he doesn't understand why Mycroft would encourage him into a habit he's trying to get out of - while Mycroft is doing that thinking offering him the lesser of two evils will help)

In HLV John and Molly think he's just fallen back into the habit, even though he did it for the case.

And I do also agree that part of the reason John gets angry at Sherlock is because he's got a short temper, and because he feels useless and not important since Sherlock didn't call him.

October 1, 2015 11:47 am  #118

Dorothy83 wrote:

and YET, in HLV Sherlock is able to spend a lot of time doing drugs in a drug den, and only after John calls him Mycroft becomes aware of the situation???
Has Mycroft stopped monitoring Sherlock for some reason? So weird.

I think when Sherlock says he's undercover, he means "undercover" also as in "Mycroft cannot find me". I find it understandable. Mycroft probably assumed Sherlock was up to something, but with nothing to go on, let it be for the moment. Although I really think he should have known better. John moving out should have put Sherlock under maximum surveillance, judging my Mycrofts habits. Strange, I agree.

"It is what it is."

October 1, 2015 4:07 pm  #119

There's an important part to this sequence-- it highlights *John's* addiction. And John doesn't like that.

And, you could also view it this way-- Molly, with her long-term addiction to Sherlock, who goes an finds a Sherlock-Substitute to date and them treats him badly because he's not as smart as Sherlock-- takes that oout on Sherlock by slapping the beans out of him. John, frustrated, with a hair-trigger temper, who had to sprain someone and break into a drugs den after shouting at his wife, is in withdrawal-- and *that's* where that over-zealousness comes from. If he'd been that worried, he would have made the effort to contact Sherlock, instead of waiting for Sherlock to make the first move. Sherlock has been told over and over again, that "Marriage changes things".

So, I'm sure he's been told not to incessantly bug John-- to let the new couple settle in-- and that's why he keeps his distance. He's waiting for John to make the first move-- and when he doesn't-- Sherlock throws himself into Lady Smallwood's case. We have to remember that Lady Smallwood sought Sherlock out-- not the other way around. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (October 1, 2015 4:07 pm)

October 1, 2015 4:15 pm  #120

nakahara wrote:

I think that althrough they really were patronising and their behaviour was a mistake that was not really helping them to get to Sherlock, I find their mistake to be very human and understandable in that scene.

They knew that Sherlock has history with drugs, that he has possibly some leanings into self-harm (at least John can think that after witnessing Sherlock nearly swallowing a poisonous pill) and so their reaction, even if hysterical, is strong exactly because they care for him and do not want to see him succumbing to addiction. Of course, they are not reasonable, but people tend not to be when strong emotions seize them.

Also, the creators of this show probably didn´t want to sound like an advertisement for this kind of lifestyle, so they portayed the drug-abuse and the reaction of people to it in a more dramatic manner than it would be in RL. Simply to give a signal that such thing is unacceptable (and so John and Molly signal it to Sherlock in strong terms that they would not tolerate it).

Of course, in Molly´s case, the writers probably acted under the mistaken belief that violence perpetrated by female character equalls strenght, which is wrong. But still, I do not percieve this mistake to be that serious, really.

I thought John's and Molly's reactions were over the top. And quite frankly-- they treated him as if he were a criminal, and neither one of them have the authority to (1) kidnap, (2) force a drugs trest under coercion, (3) physically assault the addict to punish them for transgressing. Oh, and (4-Mycroft) Stage a drugs search without a warrant.

This is not how you show love-- though I suspect that is what they are more comfortable with. And, it's not how you get someone off drugs. It has to be their choice. They can't do it just to please their friends. 

Maybe on of the things the show is demonstrating is how bad all of them are at just saying "I love you"-- even in a platonic or brotherly way. 

Board footera