BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 20, 2015 10:57 pm  #81

Re: Questions and ponderings about Sherlock

I didn't really catch that Sherlock just grabbed a beer, but it does make sense in the scene and what his purpose is. 

I agree with you about the puppy dog look, ukanuz, so never really understood what triggered John to reveal the cigarettes.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

April 21, 2015 11:39 am  #82

So it's actually flats that are numbered A, B, C, and not buildings? What do they do when they pull one house down and put two smaller ones in its place (not that the Baker street building looks as if that would have happened...)?

April 21, 2015 12:18 pm  #83

That could happen too I guess. All of the places I lived in were old buildings that had been subdivided or had rooms for let, so that was what I was thinking of when I answered. I can't think of any examples I saw that were separate buildings the way you described, but it makes sense that A, B, C etc. would be used.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 21, 2015 3:04 pm  #84

When I lived in a city with a lot of nineteenth centuiry flats (Glasgow), there was just one number for all the flats.  If you wanted to specify which flat, then I think we wrote it as (for instance) Flat 2/1 (2nd floor, 1st on the left).  I don't know if it's similar in London.

I wonder if it would be possible that the flats had once been part of the business underneath, then when the two were separated the business address would be 221A and the flats 221B?  (I do realise that it's fictional - just wondering!). 

April 22, 2015 11:33 am  #85

Good idea, but if London streets were numbered like Munich ones, A would have to be to the left of B, when one looks at the house. But, as I said above, I'm not actually bothered by the B on the front door - I'm rather surprised that the authors apologize for it.

I just checked my diary - when I lived in 53 Evelyn Gardens, that was all there was to the address, despite several flats inside (and the flats being subdivided into bedsits).

Last edited by Kittyhawk (April 22, 2015 11:36 am)

April 22, 2015 11:36 am  #86

Really interesting, these differences. In Germany you practically always have the names next to the doorbells. And something like 56A would mean there were houses no. 56 and 58 and they later built another one in between. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 29, 2015 7:06 pm  #87

Ok, I know I am nitpicking now, and in the grand scheme of the show this is very insignificant. However, nitpicking is unavoidable with long hiautses like these...

So I'm rewatching ASiP, and I don't get Sherlock's first deduction of John's phone to add up with what we see. When Sherlock borrowes it, he takes it from John (display side up) and then immediately starts typing on the keybaord before handing it straight back. There is no way he could have seen the engraving on the back of the phone.

I am willing to say he might have felt the scratch marks by the charger input, although that is a stretch, but he never looks at the backside of the phone and Sherlock is clearly visible with no cuts for the entire time he holds John's phone.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

June 29, 2015 8:05 pm  #88

Oh noooo!!! What have you DONE!!?
Now I have to watch it all AGAIN!! 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 29, 2015 8:10 pm  #89

Oh noes! The horror! 

Team Hudders!

June 29, 2015 8:16 pm  #90

The solution is very easy of course: Sherlock has laser eyes! For him, it´s no problem seeing the back of the phone while looking at a display. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 29, 2015 8:18 pm  #91

Why didn't I think of that? 

Team Hudders!

June 29, 2015 8:23 pm  #92

Because you shouldn´t: the authors are preparing the revelation about´s Sherlock´s eyes as a big plot twist in S4. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 29, 2015 8:25 pm  #93

Oh, but it's SO easy to see - those laser eyes:

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

June 29, 2015 8:26 pm  #94

Gawd, those eyes.. 

Team Hudders!

June 29, 2015 8:32 pm  #95

Vhanja wrote:

Ok, I know I am nitpicking now, and in the grand scheme of the show this is very insignificant. However, nitpicking is unavoidable with long hiautses like these...

So I'm rewatching ASiP, and I don't get Sherlock's first deduction of John's phone to add up with what we see. When Sherlock borrowes it, he takes it from John (display side up) and then immediately starts typing on the keybaord before handing it straight back. There is no way he could have seen the engraving on the back of the phone.

I am willing to say he might have felt the scratch marks by the charger input, although that is a stretch, but he never looks at the backside of the phone and Sherlock is clearly visible with no cuts for the entire time he holds John's phone.

You seem cleverer than the directors :-).
I agree, Sherlock can't know/see what's on the back - but maybe he saw it when John gives him his mobile and he can catch a glimpse on the backside. He realizes things we never would pay attention to.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

June 29, 2015 8:34 pm  #96

He actually can't - during Sherlock's deduction of John in the cab to the pink lady crime scene, we see a close-up of John handing over his phone - it's held very flat with the display side up and his hand covering the backside. ;)

Team Hudders!

June 29, 2015 8:37 pm  #97

I'm thinking of the scene when they first met - John is giving Sherlock his mobile and Sherlock is sitting on a chair (doesn't he?). Maybe he could then catch a glimpse.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

June 29, 2015 8:38 pm  #98

No, that is the scene we get a close-up of during Sherlock's cab deduction.

Team Hudders!

June 29, 2015 8:41 pm  #99

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=37

For nitpicking Pink is this thread: Mistakes - anyone notice any?

Would be nice to keep that one complete 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

September 4, 2015 10:21 pm  #100

I keep seeing photos from the show of Sherlock with around twenty or so cigarettes in his mouth. He's wearing his blue dressing gown. Which episode is that from? I can find it anywhere.

Board footera