BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 25, 2015 8:38 pm  #101

Re: The greatest friendship in fiction

Liberty wrote:

One thing I'm hoping for is that they'll have more Victorian sounding speech, that it will be very much set in it's time, rather than a modern Sherlock and John transplanted there.  I think this will be the case, judging by the changes in their hair and so on. 

I read an interview with Moffat where he said that the dialogue would be more gentlemen-y compared to modern Sherlock, so it seems it will be more Victorian. However, they also state that it's clearly still "their" Sherlock and John. So will be interesting to see how they balance that out!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 26, 2015 8:16 am  #102

That's good to hear.  I think they can keep the characters, but make them of their time.  I understand that how people speak in books, is not how they would talk in real life, but I'd expect them to sound more like my grandparents' generation. 

What I'm hoping for in the special is that they will be living together at 221B and we'll see them spending time in each other's company and discussing cases and receiving clients and so on - there was a bit of that in S3, but with John not resident it didn't feel right.  It seems like there might be some very dark stuff coming in S4, so perhaps a lighter episode might be fine for the special to give us some respite! 

I've just been reading this old interview: some nice stuff about the friendship there. (And also about modern Sherlock - that the stories and character aren't tied to a particular time, any more than James Bond).

September 26, 2015 11:15 am  #103

Liberty wrote:

Benedict Cumberbatch not understanding his character?  Even if it's true, his interviews give us a clue as to how he's portraying him.  If that's his interpretation, then that's what we're seeing on screen, in his acting (if he's any good at his job!).  Yes, we're free to interpret, and bring our own prejudices (and as I said, other things such as cutting and editing are added to the mix), but I cans still see why actors would be get frustrated when people insist they are playing something different from what they're intending to play. 

And yet there´s an elegant solution to this problem.
Just tag any scene where he appears with the sign "Now Benedict is portraying intense sexual lust", "Now Benedict is portraying frigidity and coldness", "Now Benedict is portraying jealousy" etc., etc.
And bang! - the problem of subjective interpretation of the scenes is solved!
People will be surprised for a while, that´s obvious, some will even grumble that the art is not meant to be rigid in this way - but hey! It´s not as if Sherlock didn´t break some boundaries already. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 26, 2015 3:01 pm  #104

Yes, that would make everything much simpler for all of us!   And make life an awful lot easier for the actors .  But I've a feeling that we'd all rather live with the "problem". 

I suppose in this case, though, the actors are repeatedly stating what they're trying to show and are repeatedly hearing that they're intending to show something else.    The problem's not really with subjective interpretations (I think it can be genuinely really difficult to know for sure what a particular expression "means", and even if do manage to pin it down to something like "angry" it might not be clear what the character is angry about and why and what it means to the story), but with the actors basically being told that they're wrong or lying, and the implication that they're homophobic if they deny that.   The question itself wasn't too bad (something like "why do the characters love each other?"), but it looks like it has become weighted (Martin was certainly "reading between the lines").  The Sun newspaper (not the most illustrious of publications) has printed that Martin "laid in to fans who want Holmes and Watson to be in a gay relationship".  I don't think he was laying into anybody: just defending his own viewpoint, as the actor playing the character.  It seems he can't win!   And I've come across much worse being said about Benedict (I don't mean on this forum). 

That was meant to be just a quick answer because I thought your comment was funny!   I don't really want to veer into "debate" territory here (where I take it we're talking about them as friends rather than potential lovers) ... funnily enough, I've been talking about romantic friendship moments in the other thread.  Maybe I need to switch around!   The "romantic tropes" topic might actually fit quite well here, in the context of friendship - what do you think?  I don't want to bring it over if it's not appropriate, but I found Vhanja's comparism to Frodo and Sam interesting. 

September 26, 2015 7:02 pm  #105

I honestly think that no matter what the actors say, the people will interpret the scenes their way. And I find it absolutely normal: even when looking at the same thing, every person usually sees something different - especially when it´s art. Because in my opinion, art invites such open interpretations quite willingly.

Of course, people should not blame the actors when their interpretations don´t match or force their views onto them. 

Frodo and Sam are actually an example very fitting for this thread, because they beautifully embody the portrayal of friendship which used some tropes you could consider romantic and yet never overstepped the line into "baiting".

Sam and Frodo risked their lives for each other, they often displayed closeness and intimacy of two beings dependent on each other and loyal to each other, facing the unspeakable horrors and only having each other to pull through... it would be easy to see them as pair.... (I´m sure many people even shipped them together...)

Yet we never had a scene of Gandalf or Legolas or Aragorn randomly commenting on them: "You two are a couple..."
Sam didn´t break into a yell: "I´m not gay!" every third minute or so...
When they drank ale in Bree, the waiter didn´t bring them a candle to make the scene more romantic....
They didn´t randomly stop in a wilderness to stand close to each other and to look deep into each other´s eyes meaningfully...
Gollum didn´t assure them that the other two hobbits he knows (because they live near his cave) are legally registered as a pair...
Frodo din´t destroy the fresco of Isildur in Rivendell by painting Sam´s head on it...
During Sam´s wedding to Rose, Frodo didn´t have a long, tiring speech about how he loves Sam and didn´t steal the light from Rose on that day....
Tolkien wrote this piece with Germanic legends and myths in mind. None of this legends was a semi gay saga called "The Private Life of Frodo"...  

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 26, 2015 7:51 pm  #106

Lol, awesome post, nakahara!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

September 26, 2015 9:02 pm  #107

I know you're joking, but seriously, it is a shame that in Tolkien's time, anything other than a friendship would have been illegal and shameful.  He couldn't have alluded to it even if he'd wanted to.  (Although, in the films, they do look into each other's eyes quite a bit!  And to modern readers/viewers, there's plenty of "subtext").   It's funny how people were free to write about loving friendships because of homophobia, in a way - the assumption that if there was anything "like that" going on, it would no longer be noble.    Whereas now, it's an automatic assumpton that two men who are close like that are a gay couple.  In some ways, Frodo and Sam seem to be less buttoned up than Sherlock and John. 

But anyway, that's not what I was talking about - I was meaning the actual romance of the friendship and the romantic tropes that go with that.   The first one mentioned in the article in the other thread was their meeting, the way they are destined to be together,. for instance.   Funnily enough, one of the most loving moments (although it's one sided) is in ASIB, where John lies to protect Sherlock at the end (after being behind him all the way throughout the episode). 

Last edited by Liberty (September 26, 2015 9:09 pm)

September 26, 2015 9:08 pm  #108

Well romantic friendship is technically something that exists.  I remember I read a fic and one of the tags was "platonic romance." They were friends, they didn't have sex, and the only kisses were things like forehead kisses, which I think are all great.
I remember in another topic where there was the argument about romantic tropes, and I don't want to turn this in the debate because it's not the thread for it, but I think there's something to be said about potentially developing a friendship in a similar way you might develop a romance.  It goes to show how people underestimate friendship, but really it can be very close, like you might expect from a romantic relationship, or perhaps even more.  In some ways I think friendship is better, and if you develop this friendship in a storyline without downplaying it because it's not romance, then I think that proves just how good friendship is, how close a good friendship can be, how much someone could protect and trust their friend if they're so close.

Clueing for looks.

September 27, 2015 3:17 am  #109

I think what this thread is supposed to be about is pure friendship of Sherlock and John.

Relevent to this discussion is an article I found about the definition of friendship from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy...

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/friendship/

Yes, friendship is a certain kind of love of another person, but it isn't romantic love IMO.  Romantic love is rooted in sexual desire and friendship isn't.  Romantic love is "eros" and friendship is a love that is derived from what the Greeks described as "philia" - specifically the "philia" that attains a virtuous level.

Discussion about any sexual/romantic aspect between the two characters is probably better suited for the many shipping/Johnlock threads (that deal with certain fans' theories and interpretations of the "eros" between the characters) .   

My take on this thread is along the lines of "philia" aspects only (at least that is what I took from the moderators when they directed me to this thread when I was hunting for a non-Johnlock thread).

It would be interesting to look at John and Sherlock's relationship in the context of the Stanford article. 

How does it fit into the criteria of the definition of friendship (and I think it does very nicely). 

The three different characteristics of having a friendship are examined -

1) Mutual Caring
2) Intimacy
3) Shared Activity

In BBC Sherlock the shared activity came first, mutual caring came next and we are finally getting around to the intimacy aspect since the second series perhaps?

I would be very interested in furthering this discussion with other fans who believe that the core of the show is the friendship (not any sexual/romantic aspect) between Sherlock and John. 

Any takers???

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

September 27, 2015 5:59 am  #110

Great article and great prompt for discussion, I will certainly get back to it when I have a little more peace and quiet to go through it.

Could we maybe move the baiting-discussion to the Johnlock-Discussion-Thread? As much as I like to discuss or be playful with it sometimes, the idea of this thread was something different.. I wouldn´t want to mix it up. Sometimes us non-Johnlockers just want to gush a little bit in peace, too, you know?  Please..

September 27, 2015 6:47 am  #111

Yitzock wrote:

Well romantic friendship is technically something that exists.  I remember I read a fic and one of the tags was "platonic romance." They were friends, they didn't have sex, and the only kisses were things like forehead kisses, which I think are all great.
I remember in another topic where there was the argument about romantic tropes, and I don't want to turn this in the debate because it's not the thread for it, but I think there's something to be said about potentially developing a friendship in a similar way you might develop a romance.  It goes to show how people underestimate friendship, but really it can be very close, like you might expect from a romantic relationship, or perhaps even more.  In some ways I think friendship is better, and if you develop this friendship in a storyline without downplaying it because it's not romance, then I think that proves just how good friendship is, how close a good friendship can be, how much someone could protect and trust their friend if they're so close.

Thanks, Yitzock!  I hope we don't have a debate here: I'm hoping we can talk about it while taking it as read that they are friends, not lovers (or potential lovers).   I understand that we have to justify that view over on the other thread, and although I'm starting to feel I have to justify it here too, hopefully, given the initial post, it's OK for us to assume that we're all seeing friendship.  I agree with you: I think that in Sherlock we're seeing the development of a relationship, and obviously there is going to be some crossover between the way that is portrayed and the way a development of a typical romance would be portrayed.   There's meeting, falling for each other, increasing closeness, misunderstandings, proof of love, etc., and all the tropes that go along with that.   For instance, in TRF, Sherlock tries to make out he's an unfeeling person, so that John will leave him, but it turns out that he just wants the best for John.  I don't know the name of this trope, but I've seen it in conventional romances.

One thing that I think the show captures very well, is the euphoria of finding one of those special friendships.  Particularly in ASIP: although John is kind of interested in the case, it's clear that the real focus of his interest is Sherlock.  I always find it striking that John is so protective of Sherlock right at the beginning, when Mycroft kidnaps him.  There's no doubt there - he aligns himself with Sherlock, based on gut feeling.    Sherlock is "the one" in friendship terms, right from the start.  (And I think that scene helps to show what Sherlock falls for in John). 

September 27, 2015 7:22 am  #112

Val, I think they definitely fit "friendship".  The romantic aspects are just semantics really, but we don't seem to have another word for it!  I don't see any "eros" there, but I think their devotion to each other is romantic, and I think non-eros friendships sometimes do have romantic elements (I know mine have).  (And the romance tropes mentioned, are not about eros either, but about things like saving each other's lives).

However, I think John and Sherlock's relationship is a bit more than an average friendship and it has some interesting elements that aren't typical of friendships in general.   The article that you link presents different views of friendships too.  The idea of absorbing each other's values: I think a bit of that goes on in that Sherlock seems to pick up on some of John's values, but then right into HLV, when it comes to the Janine scene, it's clear that they still sometimes have a very different outlook - John is shocked at Sherlock's coldness, Sherlock sees it as a practical solution.   And yet, John always seems to have faith in Sherlock, and believe he's basically good (I think).   They just don't quite align.   They are not two peas in a pod at all.  They have very clear and different identities within the relationship, and different roles, I suppose, too.   Funnily enough, I think their individual identities even seem clearer when they're together rather than apart, maybe because of the way they bounce off each other and the way they enable certain aspects of each other's characters to shine through.  (I'm thinking about the part about Sherman's Aristotle and Friedman, about half way down the article ... as an aside, Friedman is writing about romantic love, but the concepts are being applied here to friendship.  I do think there's some overlap).

Last edited by Liberty (September 27, 2015 8:33 am)

September 27, 2015 1:55 pm  #113

Yes, I think they do bounce off each other, and they're differences are more noticeable when they are together.  While you might not describe that as being "two peas in a pod," I still think it's good chemistry.  Sometimes bringing out each others' differences is good, too, and a sign of friendship.  If you're not friends and you have differences, there's no connection and you don't become closer.  But with friends the differences come out and they're not a problem.  Sometimes this is hard for me to grasp, since I've felt close with people who were more similar to me than their other friends were to them, and I felt sad because they seemed closer to them than they were to me...but that's a personal aside.

I have not read all of the article yet, but from what I've read so far, something I found interesting is the concept of three types: pleasre, utility, and virtue.  While I would agree with the writer that if you only are friends with someone because they are a source of pleasure or are useful to you that they are not really your friend and that you don't really love them, I do see the friendship of utility as being how a friendship can begin.  This is certainly the case with Sherlock and John.  They each wanted someone to flatshare with, as well as John needing excitement in his life (friendship of utility and pleasure could both be present here) and Sherlock needed an assistant, preferably not Anderson (utility, and perhaps a bit of pleasure of not having to work closely with Anderson, though he ended up liking John by the end of their first case together).
Over time I think their friendship develops into friendship of virtue, though perhaps depending on the moment they might not agree on the virtuousness of the other.  John doesn't always like the way Sherlock goes about things, which is normal in a friendship I guess, although this is happening on a different level because of the events of the show.  But even so, John sees the humanity in him and thinks hes brilliant.  This may not refer to virtue exactly, but we do know that John likes Sherlock for who he is.
Sherlock disagrees with John on some things, too, but he does say that John keeps him right, so obviously there's an appreciation of John's morals or virtues.

At this point in the development of the friendship, however, I think that it's harder to separate it into just one of those three categories, in a way.  A friend should make you happy, bring you joy or pleasure. I think this would be even more the case once you've gotten to the friendship of virtue stage.  As far as utility, that could be a lot of things.  Is company when you're lonely a use? Help with something that you both enjoy doing? I'd say John and Sherlock provide that for each other. And John's usefulness to Sherlock doesn't magically disappear once they become close friends.  Although of course Molly, despite her efforts, is not a perfect replacement as an assistant simply because she's not John, not just because of how useful she is, so I think that the utility part doesn't go away but it is no longer enough once you become closer. (Now, of course, we could examine the closeness, or lack thereof depending on your view, of Sherlock and Molly, but that's not the topic at hand)
I find that putting people in rigid categories will often ultimately fail, because we are more than that, and in that way I don't think you can completely separate those three categories that I mentioned, but if you have a good friendship the three of those might work together, or the previous two become overcome or overpowered by the third and therefore less important.

Clueing for looks.

September 27, 2015 7:47 pm  #114

Philosophy isn't my subject at all, so I might have to back out a little on this particular discussion and just read!    I completely agree about the difficulty of separting those three "types" of friendship (pleasure, utility and virtue)?  Surely, they can exist at the same time in a single friendship, as you say?  It doesn't really makes sense to me.  You might well admire somebody for being virtuous, but that's not the same as friendship, is it?  I'd see a good friendship as being characterised by shared values, rather than setting a particular quality (virtue) above all.   It seems to me to be about a connection, a meetting point which is unique to those two people. 

September 27, 2015 8:02 pm  #115

Yes, I would agree.  I'd say that those three categories are just one way of breaking it down.  Maybe it's not necessarily how it continues, but how it begins? I know I wrote a bunch already, but I'm still not sure whether that's totally accurate to what friendship is really like.  And from that part that I read, the actual connection is not quite coming through.  Once I get a chance to read more, maybe it will be discussed more.

I don't study philosophy, either, so I don't know much more than you do, I wager, if I know more than you at all.  That doesn't mean you can't discuss it, I don't think.

Clueing for looks.

September 28, 2015 8:41 am  #116

Zatoichi wrote:

Could we maybe move the baiting-discussion to the Johnlock-Discussion-Thread? As much as I like to discuss or be playful with it sometimes, the idea of this thread was something different.. I wouldn´t want to mix it up. Sometimes us non-Johnlockers just want to gush a little bit in peace, too, you know?  Please..

Sorry. My post was just an answer to Liberty´s question, but I will lead any further discussion on romantic tropes in main Johnlock post.

September 28, 2015 5:44 pm  #117

I think it will be difficult to discuss them just in relationship to the friendship there, though?  But if you think it can be done without getting into debate territory, then it's something I'd quite like to talk about. 

September 28, 2015 8:10 pm  #118

Wel I am glad my post about the Stanford article seems to have stimulated some discussions surrounding friendship in light of Sherlock and John.and also hope that is hellps confine these discussions to the parameters of this particular thread (and not wander off into the romance department, which is another kettle of fish altogether, I believe).

For me the divisions between the three types of friendship (pleasure, utility and virtue) are more like the degree of nobleness of the friendship as seen by the ancient Greeks - there are firendship that are a matter of just something that is pleasurable for both of you (two people who just have a great time together and nothing more was considered more superficial than anything that held great emotional bond), there are friendships that are formed because the aspect of togetherness is of a useful benefit fo both of you (I think this may happen a lot in places of work - people become friends because your skillsets compliment each other and you work well together) and finally there are friendships that take place and something bigger, deeper and more important is taking place when it does.  it is the reason that some deep bond develops between two people off good character. 

The virtue friendship is a higher level of friendship that says something about the greater good of the community or society in which you live in.  A virtuous friendship is something to strive for and has to be developed I believe.  It is about the heart in humanity.

Has Sherlock's and John's friendship achieved this level?? 

I really don't think so, but I think it is on that path.  I don't it is an automatic... I think the utility aspect was the strongest element showing in their friendship at first - they were attracted to one another first because they complimented each other's skillsets and in a quirky way worked well together.  Yes, there was "something" else that made them curious about the other person - that made it so that they just didn't quit on each other (I would like to think that was the hidden virtue within that played a role in that) and split apart when they were in Season One. 

They certainly had that tested by the end of the second season (and especially in the third) when Sherlock came back from the "dead". 

And the process is still ongoing I think.  There is deep virtue in their friendship (that is the core of the show I believe) and that is what I am most interested in. 

Their friendship does fit the three criteria - mutual caring, intimacy and shared activity. 

My husband has always said friends "must have shared experiences, both joyeous and sad, over a period of time'.  And Sherlock and John have had those for sure. 

I will save the in depth look at the three criteria as it relates to Homes and Watson for another post - it is a very big topic I think and deserves a post (or more) of its own. 

Re: the aspect of pleasure, utility and virtue - I don't read the "virtue" as something you admire a friend for - its more like the virtue is what results from you being friends with someone.  Your friendship demonstrates what is virtuous in society as a result of you two being friends.  It is something that shows the goodness of being human.  People would look at a friendship and say "that quality of friendship exemplifies the noblest aspects of humanity".  That's the virtue in that type of friendship.

That's why a virtue friendship is considered to be of the highest order of friendships.

The lower orders of friendship would be purely pleasure or pure utility - they don't exemplify deeper meaning and are more superficial in nature.  They are also more apt to disintergrate if the participants are separated, where as those in a virtuous relationship are more likely to remain friends. 

I will have to re-read the article myself (it is a lot to digest).  I know relationships as well as many other things in life are often fluid and difficult to categorize.  And since the saga of Holmes and Watson hasn't been played out in its entirety we haven't seen the full development of their friendship either I would suspect.   

I just thought it went well (as a discussion jumping off point) in this thread.

Thanks for playing along so far...

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

September 28, 2015 8:39 pm  #119

Oh, I'm not playing along, Val.  I genuinely think it's interesting and I love talking about the friendship aspect that is so often overlooked or interpreted in some other way.

Ah, that clarifies the virtue aspect.  I would agree it's hard to say whether we've seen it get that far at this point since, like you said, the story isn't over.  But I don't know whether it's only on its way.  Hard to say, and also hard to say whether it is the "noblest form of humanity." I don't know whether either of them are that pure or good.  They have killed to protect each other, after all.  But perhaps that is still very noble and human, even if it involves taking another human life "in exchange" for another.  They are willing to do things that are otherwise seen as wrong in order to protect each other.

Last edited by Yitzock (September 28, 2015 8:40 pm)

Clueing for looks.

September 28, 2015 8:51 pm  #120

I am from the "second camp", but that was a very nice post, Ah-chie, I´d say.

Yitzock wrote:

Hard to say, and also hard to say whether it is the "noblest form of humanity." I don't know whether either of them are that pure or good.  They have killed to protect each other, after all.  But perhaps that is still very noble and human, even if it involves taking another human life "in exchange" for another.  They are willing to do things that are otherwise seen as wrong in order to protect each other.

But isn´t it their friendship that motivates them to do better, to aspire for higher goals? Isn´t this what motivates John to be less bitter and to embrace life anew and what makes Sherlock act less arrogant and be a bit more considerate towards people (so in result, it makes them both a bit more virtuous)?

Board footera