BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 13, 2014 11:41 pm  #21

Re: The greatest friendship in fiction

Really?
I think he's just cracking a joke to lighten the mood.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 13, 2014 11:46 pm  #22

besleybean wrote:

Really?
I think he's just cracking a joke to lighten the mood.

The scene where he is giving John his name feels much more weighty to be just about jokes, don´t you think?
I mean, joke is definitely there, but at the same time, Sherlock is giving kind of a legacy to John - symbolicaly being embodied in his name. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 13, 2014 11:48 pm  #23

Ah possibly, indicating he may not return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 13, 2014 11:50 pm  #24

Yeah, precisely.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 14, 2014 8:14 am  #25

Though thankfully he does!

December 14, 2014 10:36 am  #26

I like your ideas, Nakahara, and something about this feels right to me - that there is actually heavy significance in Sherlock giving his name.  "I love you" almost seems banal in comparism (especially as he's already kind of said it - it's not something he's been meaning to say).   I think it IS a joke, but there is serious meaning behind it.  Again, it's reminded me of John's comment to Sherlock in TRF about being a complete dick all the tiime - the meaning behind the words actually makes it one of the most heartfelt, emotional and powerful things John says to Sherlock (in my opinion). 

I don't know if Sherlock or the writers would know the Viking background, but I don't think it matters - I'm not on up the background and yet I still felt there was something meaningful about true names.  It's embedded in our culture, because if it's in fairytales, we're brought up with it. 

Oh dear .. it's heartbreaking to think that Sherlock is really, genuinely hoping that John will name the child after him because he's going to his death and that will be all that's left.  Sherlock would be dead in 6 months, so it's likely the child would be born while he was still alive, but out of the country.  I think John might seriously have considered naming a child after Sherlock if Sherlock was dead, but if the child is born while Sherlock is alive then he might not - so Sherlock's "joke" is maybe a genuine request, and a kind of warning (that he's going to die).  In a roundabout way, Sherlock is going off to his death to save this unborn child (and John and Mary) after all.

So heartbreaking - I'm SO glad the episode didn't end there!

December 14, 2014 11:04 am  #27

Quite!

December 14, 2014 4:17 pm  #28

Liberty wrote:

I like your ideas, Nakahara, and something about this feels right to me - that there is actually heavy significance in Sherlock giving his name.  "I love you" almost seems banal in comparism (especially as he's already kind of said it - it's not something he's been meaning to say).   I think it IS a joke, but there is serious meaning behind it.  Again, it's reminded me of John's comment to Sherlock in TRF about being a complete dick all the tiime - the meaning behind the words actually makes it one of the most heartfelt, emotional and powerful things John says to Sherlock (in my opinion). 

I don't know if Sherlock or the writers would know the Viking background, but I don't think it matters - I'm not on up the background and yet I still felt there was something meaningful about true names.  It's embedded in our culture, because if it's in fairytales, we're brought up with it. 

Oh dear .. it's heartbreaking to think that Sherlock is really, genuinely hoping that John will name the child after him because he's going to his death and that will be all that's left.  Sherlock would be dead in 6 months, so it's likely the child would be born while he was still alive, but out of the country.  I think John might seriously have considered naming a child after Sherlock if Sherlock was dead, but if the child is born while Sherlock is alive then he might not - so Sherlock's "joke" is maybe a genuine request, and a kind of warning (that he's going to die).  In a roundabout way, Sherlock is going off to his death to save this unborn child (and John and Mary) after all.

So heartbreaking - I'm SO glad the episode didn't end there!

Yes, the Sherlock name-giving scene seems quite poignant to me. Althrough it looks jokey on the surface, it has deeper and more emotional significance, precisely because Sherlock´s full name is used as a theme of the scene (and the name is a highly symbolical thing loaded with various meanings - a quasi embodiment of a person itself, connected with a "soul" of a human being). If we took humour out of the tarmac scene, certain "mystical" reading of the scene would be greatly strenghtened. 

I only mentioned Viking tradition, because it had a specific term (nafnfestr, "name-fastening") for the belief in a name as a transport of deceased person qualities to newborn child. But we can find similar, althrough unnamed, beliefs about names in almost every human culture on Earth and some of those belief subconscioulsy form our behaviour even now, being deeply embedded in our traditions and cultures. That´s exactly why such things often appear in the narrations of the stories, althrough the people writing those stories must not be aware where they first came to these ideas.

Sherlock banishment into a foreign land, after which his friends would never see him again, is to some extent a symbolical "death" too. Sherlock also don´t know when exactly would he die. Mycroft assessment that it would be six months at most was a maximal estimation of life left to him. But his demise can come quite sooner. With that in mind, John naming his daughter after Sherlock takes a heavy meaning - as a kind of a legacy, a part of himself Sherlock is leaving behind for John.

December 14, 2014 8:53 pm  #29

Yes, I know 6 months wasn't set, but what I was thinking was that there was a good chance that the baby would be born, John and Mary would name her, and then Sherlock would die and he'd wished he'd given her something of Sherlock's name and it would be too late.   Mary's quite far on by that time, I think. 

There's a mention of names earlier - when Mycroft gets irritated that his mother won't call him by his given name.  He asks if it's really so hard to say the extra syllable or something like that - I can't remember the wording.

December 14, 2014 9:06 pm  #30

Liberty wrote:

There's a mention of names earlier - when Mycroft gets irritated that his mother won't call him by his given name.  He asks if it's really so hard to say the extra syllable or something like that - I can't remember the wording.

Yes, that scene made me smile when I was watching HLV for the first time. There are many Mikes on this world but only one Mycroft and he is quite proud on his unusual name. 

December 14, 2014 9:25 pm  #31

Yes, and of course Janine calling him Myc/Mike earlier. 

So Sherlock is a middle name, not a first name.   I wonder if it's the same for Mycroft too?  It's interesting that Sherlock must have chosen to be known by a very individual name rather than the more mundane "William".  And also means that John's daughter could have it as a middle name too.

December 14, 2014 10:16 pm  #32

I just love the fact that Janine calls him Mike, making it immediately obvious that she'd never met him. 

December 18, 2014 8:19 am  #33

I thought this might be a good place to talk a litte about one of my favourite scenes, one I keep coming back to - when John tells Sherlock that nobody could fake being an annoying dick all the time.  It's jokey and rude, but I think the meaning behind it makes it one of the most powerful things John says to Sherlock (possibly even more than what he says at the grave, and in the underground carriage, although I'm not sure about that). 

I think it's to do with the build-up through S2 of Sherlock constantly deceiving John in one way or another.   John only gets little bits of the truth of what's going on, so doesn't really have a way of rationally judging whether Sherlock is a fraud or not.   In ASiB in particular, John is kept completely in the dark after the beginning.   He misses out on vital bits of information (like the conversations Sherlock has with Irene at her house, and the scene with Mycroft at the end), and it's never clear how much Sherlock tells him.   He has no idea if Sherlock has fallen for Irene and is pining for her, or if he's just being his normal self!  Even at the end, Sherlock doesn't give anything away (including the really important information that he knows Irene is alive and well) and lets John tell him a white lie.  Throughout the episode, John shows concern, and is just there in the background, living in the same flat, trying to support Sherlock.  Hounds - again, he does pieces of work, is unknowingly used in an experiment by Sherlock, doesn't get the full story until the end.  TRF - he's kept in the dark the whole way through.   Right from the beginning, when Sherlock is trying to draw out Moriarty by seeking publicity, and John, unwittingly, is trying to warn him about the press. 

John doesn't really have much of a clue what is going on with Sherlock, or even what is going on with the plot, during those episodes.   What we're seeing when he makes that comment to Sherlock is blind faith - he actually has every reason to believe that Sherlock is a fraud, because Sherlock deceives him, and is deceiving him even in that moment.   But what he feels for Sherlock, his faith in Sherlock's character and his love for him, over-ride any other evidence. 

Sherlock never does manage to convince John he's a fraud, even when he tells him directly during the roof scene.   But because of that conversation at 221B, I suppose, he knows that John will believe the suicide aspect, but possibly not the fraud aspect.  When he comes back in TEH, he is sure that John will just be pleased to see him - it doesn't occur to him that John will have seriously believed the fraud story.     Sherlock has faith in John too.

Last edited by Liberty (December 18, 2014 8:21 am)

December 18, 2014 12:02 pm  #34

I like that line, I think it's part of that understated blokeish friendship that Moftiss talk about. It's in Reichenbach somewhere, isn't it? 

I think the fact that our protagonist lies and deceives all the time makes him an interesting character (and convenient for screenwriters who like to surprise audiences) but I do hope that John acted on more than just blind faith. I mean, it's not much of a virtue, is it? Maybe he understands Sherlock's personality or he'd seen so much evidence for his methods that he simply knows that he can't be a fraud. Lestrade doesn't seem to buy it either. 

The fraud story is actually really interesting because IRL, Sherlock's methods wouldn't work, and the only way to make them seem work would be fraud. But in-universe, the methods do work, so they're playing a bit of a mind game with the audience. It's completely understandable why Donovan does what she does, because IRL, she'd be right! 

December 18, 2014 8:02 pm  #35

Possibly not the place for me to say it...
But I owe Sally a huge apology...
She was right about what Sherlock was capable of.

December 18, 2014 8:42 pm  #36

But she thought Sherlock would kill somebody it for his own personal gain (because it excited him, to show off, etc.) - that's why she was so easily manipulated by Moriarty.   She was wrong about Sherlock.  I find it interesting that John doesn't believe her (although on the evidence he has, is she really so far off the mark)?   He's completely loyal to Sherlock when he first meets Mycroft too, although at that point he doesn't have good reason to be.  I think he does go on gut instinct and blind faith.   At that point, he's not even sure if Sherlock really is a good person (he seems to have a little doubt in S1), but he still kind of "believes" in him. 

I do think he has a little bit of evidence for Sherlock not being a fraud.   There's the phone deduction at the beginning, for instance, and Sherlock getting Harry's sex wrong (which he wouldn't have done, if he'd done his research).   But I think at that point (the conversation in TRF) John doesn't even question the evidence.  Despite the fact that he clearly doesn't know what Sherlock is doing or how he is working most of the time, and Sherlock blatantly deceives him at times. 

December 18, 2014 8:50 pm  #37

Yeah...I always wondered whether John would have doubts,...but I guess it was difficult when he witnessed it!

December 18, 2014 9:42 pm  #38

Sally was wrong about Sherlock in-universe, but IRL her reasoning actually makes a lot of sense. That's what I find so interesting about it. Might be just a coincidence but still. 

I remember from the first time watching TRF that I was surprised that John still believed in Sherlock, even after the speech on the roof. I mean, I'd be convinced. But then if they did a dissillusioned John, the fact that it isn't really possible would probably mess with people's suspension of disbelief. 

But to get back to in-universe explanations: most of the cases happened sorta offscreen, so who knows how much good evidence John really has. And after living with Sherlock for a while he'd probably have quite a good idea of how his mind works. 

December 18, 2014 10:23 pm  #39

She falls for the public "sociopath" persona, so I can see why the idea would occur to her.  It doesn't help that he's so unpleasant to her (which I'm sure is because she's unpleasant to him).

I think John knows how Sherlock's mind works some of the time, but at other times it's a mystery (practically all of ASiB).  I think he's going on gut instinct rather than evidence.  And obviously, he's right to have faith in Sherlock, even if it's emotionally rather than rationally based.  I think it's something really lovely about their relationship, that that faith is there (both ways, I suppose) and so steadfast. 

February 6, 2015 6:34 pm  #40

I just found this thread (a big thank you to Susi!) and have yet to go through all the posts but wanted to say that I think what attracts me most to BBC Sherlock is the dynamic of friendship that is shown between John and Sherlock.  More than the cases it is the basis for everything in the show to me.  It was also what attracted me to the original stories so long ago (when I was about 10 years of age).  

I have to read through all the discussions on this thread and then I will be back with some contributions of my own.

But I just had to say how thrilled I am to have a place to gush about their wonderful enduring relationship!

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

Board footera