BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 13, 2014 1:45 pm  #1

The greatest friendship in fiction

This thread is dedicated to the celebration of the friendship story. It is for people who don't ship johnlock romantically or for people who do ship them, but don't see/want it on the show. 

We could:
- discuss evidence for the friendship story on the show

- discuss johnlock arguments from a friendship/bromance perspective

- discuss our own feelings towards the friendship/romance hypotheses

Any other suggestions? 

Note: This is not a hate thread. Ridiculing people you disagree with is unacceptable. Criticise ideas, not people.

December 13, 2014 2:21 pm  #2

Re: The greatest friendship in fiction

Aww, nice thread title, Sliverblaze!  This could be interesting!  I can think of a few things I'd like to discuss further, although it depends if many of us want to (I think Johnlock is the dominant view - although not amongst people I know in real life). 

A little thing that came up today on the Johnlock thread was the tarmac scene, where Sherlock says that there is something he has been meaning to tell John (and ends up saying that Sherlock is a girl's name, but you get the feeling that there IS something unsaid between them that Sherlock would liked to have said at their last meeting).   I thought it could be a simple "I love you", which would fit equally well with Johnlock and Nonlock (or whatever we're calling it!).  After all, they do love each other, and although it has been said, there's a different between announcing it (e.g. at the wedding) and saying it face to face like that.

But I still have the problem that it HAS been said, even if it wasn't face to face.  Sherlock is clear that what he is going to say is something that he has NEVER said, and he has said that he loves John. 

It's quite possible that there isn't an answer.  Maybe it's just meant to be left hanging, for the audience to fill in the blanks and choose their own interpretation.   Or maybe, it really is Sherlock's lead-in to a joke - they do communicate how they feel about each other through banter sometimes, don't they?    It reminds me a little of John's line in TRF about nobody being able to fake being an an annoying dick all the time (I find that part quite moving, because it's showing John's faith in Sherlock against the odds - and they both know it is).   Sherlock is showing what he feels for John, through humour.  It's not just the humour in the scene that I find similar - it's the situation - in both cases Sherlock is planning to go off to a "death", or at least a separation.

But leaving that aside, if he really did have something that he hadn't said and wanted to say, but then chose not to ... what was it?  (Over in the other thread I'd suggested something about John's faith in Sherlock, which I don't think Sherlock ever verbally acknowledges, does he?)

December 13, 2014 3:38 pm  #3

As much as I would like to claim credit for the thread title, it's actually a quote from Moffat.  

Tarmac scene, interesting theory. I love the tarmac scene with the subtle mix of drama and humor. I actually think that the humor makes it even more dramatic and realistic. I don't think he wanted to say 'i love you', I think it's way more moving and dramatic than that. Sherlock tells John his full name, joking that they might want to consider that when looking for baby names. John says no, it's a girl. Then Sherlock jokes that it's actually a girl's name. On the one hand it's just a joke, making light of a very tense situation, on the other hand, Sherlock knows he's possibly going to die and maybe he kinda wants to live on in the name of the child. Because John doesn't know that, he can't be too explicit. 

December 13, 2014 3:43 pm  #4

I think he just wanted to say ' thank you.'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 13, 2014 3:57 pm  #5

He more than says thank you at the wedding, though, doesn't he?  I feel it's got to be something more, if it's anything.   Maybe you're right, Silverblaze, and it really is the name that's important.  It's an obvious reference to the Irene scene at 221B (and not long after, Irene gets sent off to her death within six months, although she's saved later). 

I'm probably off on a complete flight of fantasy, but knowing somebody's true, secret name is a theme in fairytales, isn't it?  (Rumpelstiltskin is the one that springs to mind - a woman has to go away with an imp, or give up her first born to him - can't remember which - unless she can guess his true name).  There are loads of fairytale references in the series.

Edit: got distracted by this idea and was having a look at true names on wiki ... I'd forgotten about Bilbo hiding his true name from Smaug!   So funny that the same characters play that out!  Anyway, it's not just fairytales that are mentioned there.  Interesting. 

John hid his true name, but Sherlock sought it out against his will (and it eventually did have some power in a case!) ... John doesn't ask for Sherlock's but Sherlock eventually gives it freely, before he dies.  I'm sure there's some symbolism there.

Last edited by Liberty (December 13, 2014 4:58 pm)

December 13, 2014 4:59 pm  #6

I never thought about it that way. I just thought it was a plot point. But it does seem to suggest that they're getting closer. 

I actually don't think there's an answer. I think it's Moffat's sense of humour. 

December 13, 2014 5:16 pm  #7

It's one of a couple of most infuriating parts of the commentaries, when you desperately want them to explain something and the whole team just sits in silence!

Last edited by besleybean (December 13, 2014 5:17 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

December 13, 2014 5:22 pm  #8

Yes, it's frustrating!  Or they get to a bit you'd been dying for them to discuss only for them to ramble off on some anecdote about something unrelated!

And yes, Silverblaze, I do think there probably isn't an actual answer - there are other things which Moffat leaves to the audiences imagination and never answers. 

Last edited by Liberty (December 13, 2014 5:23 pm)

December 13, 2014 5:25 pm  #9

Yep.
Though Steven did keep admitting that he was just enjoying watching it....
Many times they extolled the virtues of the actors, or those of a team member.

December 13, 2014 9:47 pm  #10

Liberty wrote:

He more than says thank you at the wedding, though, doesn't he?  I feel it's got to be something more, if it's anything.

I think there is more, too, but in another way. Sherlocks honorific speech at the wedding was a show, it was what the guests exspect from him as the best man.
But in this tarmac scene for me he wants to let John know how much their friendship means to him. And because Sherlock has problems to talk about feelings especially to tell someone how much he likes him/her, he goes around telling what he really want to say and talks about names hoping John will understand. It is his way to say John he feels deep friendship to him.

Puhhhh and I hope you can understand what I want to say with all that, it is so hard to explain in English what I think about it.
 And yes, I´m a convinced Non-Johnlock  

Bitte nicht so drängeln, wir sind hier bei der Arbeit und nicht auf der Flucht!
Please don´t push, we are at work and not on the run.

December 13, 2014 9:52 pm  #11

I think you explain yourself really well and I agree with you.

December 13, 2014 10:37 pm  #12

It's that indirectness that makes that scene so powerful for me. 

I believe that was very deliberate from Moffat's side. 

December 13, 2014 10:54 pm  #13

silverblaze wrote:

It's that indirectness that makes that scene so powerful for me. 

I believe that was very deliberate from Moffat's side. 

I agree completely. 

Bitte nicht so drängeln, wir sind hier bei der Arbeit und nicht auf der Flucht!
Please don´t push, we are at work and not on the run.

December 13, 2014 11:02 pm  #14

Liberty wrote:

I'm probably off on a complete flight of fantasy, but knowing somebody's true, secret name is a theme in fairytales, isn't it?  (Rumpelstiltskin is the one that springs to mind - a woman has to go away with an imp, or give up her first born to him - can't remember which - unless she can guess his true name).  There are loads of fairytale references in the series.

Edit: got distracted by this idea and was having a look at true names on wiki ... I'd forgotten about Bilbo hiding his true name from Smaug!   So funny that the same characters play that out!  Anyway, it's not just fairytales that are mentioned there.  Interesting. 

John hid his true name, but Sherlock sought it out against his will (and it eventually did have some power in a case!) ... John doesn't ask for Sherlock's but Sherlock eventually gives it freely, before he dies.  I'm sure there's some symbolism there.

Many strong superstitions are tightly connected with human names. Between Gaels, the ancestors of today´s Irish and Scottish people, you never gave your full personal name to strangers, just the name of your clan (beginning with O´ preposition), because the name in fact embodies you and if the knowledge of it have fallen into the hands of your enemies, they could harm you using some magical properties. Giving your full name to somebody is therefore a sign of ultimate trust and connection.

The Viking had also the superstition called "nafnfestr" (name-bounding). By naming your child after somebody who is deceased, you bind all the qualities that person had in life to your offspring.

I´m always reminded of that when I´m watching Sherlock giving his name to John, suggesting that he names his daughter after him.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 13, 2014 11:09 pm  #15

Neferu wrote:

Liberty wrote:

He more than says thank you at the wedding, though, doesn't he?  I feel it's got to be something more, if it's anything.

I think there is more, too, but in another way. Sherlocks honorific speech at the wedding was a show, it was what the guests exspect from him as the best man.

Oh my, poor John. He totally fell for it and was even close to tears...! That's a disgusting show on Sherlock's part indeed.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

December 13, 2014 11:15 pm  #16

I am bit on the fence on this one.

1. I personally ship them, and in my view they would be more happy together than with anyone else. 
2. Based on the show alone, it can be just as easily be interpreted either way (friendship or romance)
3. I honestly do not believe that they will ever become a romantic relationship in the series, and I do not believe that was ever the intention of neither Moftiss nor Benedict/Martin.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

December 13, 2014 11:20 pm  #17

nakahara wrote:

Many strong superstitions are tightly connected with human names. Between Gaels, the ancestors of today´s Irish and Scottish people, you never gave your full personal name to strangers, just the name of your clan (beginning with O´ preposition), because the name in fact embodies you and if the knowledge of it have fallen into the hands of your enemies, they could harm you using some magical properties. Giving your full name to somebody is therefore a sign of ultimate trust and connection.

The Viking had also the superstition called "nafnfestr" (name-bounding). By naming your child after somebody who is deceased, you bind all the qualities that person had in life to your offspring.

I´m always reminded of that when I´m watching Sherlock giving his name to John, suggesting that he names his daughter after him.

That's beautiful. That must be why people still name their children after family members. I kinda wonder whether the writers would know this or that it's coincidence. Moffat might be half Scottish but I'm not convinced that people learn an awful lot about ancient mythology. 

December 13, 2014 11:28 pm  #18

And Sherlock will have absolutely no trucks with superstition.

December 13, 2014 11:38 pm  #19

It doesn't have to be superstitious. He could also see it as a symbol. 

December 13, 2014 11:39 pm  #20

Yes, here it is used in a symbolic way, IMHO.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera