BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 6, 2012 10:09 am  #161

Re: Go on then...what are your theories?

Sherlock, these are some interesting things to think about. Anyway, I just think Sherlock was truly crying, I don't see it as a if he was acting for someone who was watching/listening. You may be quite right, it wouldn't be odd that Moriarty had tapped his phone or whatever, but I really think Sherlock was emotional because he was aware of the pain he would inflict in his friends, not only John. Imagine Mrs Hudson, or Lestrade. But maybe I think that because if it was me on that rooftop I think I would get terribly emotional about that. And as I am nothing like Sherlock in this matter (I'm a true empathyc) it may mean nothing 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waiting for a crazy man in a blue box to fall from the sky...

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 6, 2012 11:43 am  #162

At the wiki/tv tropes page about Sherlock, I linked yesterday, I read a very interesting comment from a guy, who has Asberger's. He said, that Sherlock's quip about being a high functioning sociopath, was just that: a punch line to annoy Anderson. Unlike sociopaths, who can mimic emotion for their own egocentric purposes, but never be genuinely concerned about others, people with Asperger's can LEARN to feel true emotions and concerns about people of their immediate surrounding, like we might learn a second language at school, and get really good at that language. People, who don't belong into that inner circle, are more like objects to them. So it's awfully clever of Moriarty to target Sherlock's friends, for whom he has eventually developed a heart and true feelings.(GG:Sherlock: 'I've been reliably informed, that I don't have a heart'; Moriarty: 'But we both know, that it's not quite true'.)Moriarty could have threatened more abstract things with a very high body count, like taking down a jumbo jet or detonate a bomb somewhere, and he would not have put nearly the same pressure on Sherlock. In 'Great Game' Sherlock is interested to solve the riddles; the victims don't mean anything to him. Even his concern for the child is minor, and his glee to have solved the riddle of the forged painting almost destroys the child, since Sherlock wastes precious time by enjoying himself, but he is genuinely rattled, when John is in danger.
So I think, his emotions on the roof are genuine, but nevertheless I don't believe into the tears. If he was really a fraud about to commit suicide, yes, he might very well have cried - but, don't forget, he was in the middle of a very complicated operation, where every misstep could end in disaster. His mind had to work on it's highest level; he could not allow himself the release of tears. Someone, who is about to commit suicide, might very well feel release, because, whatever his ordeal was, it's soon to be over, but for Sherlock, nothing would be over. His jump would mark a beginning, a venture into uncharted territory, so to speak. Allowing himself release at that critical point could be fatal. So I believe, that there are other reasons for the tears or his watery eyes.

Last edited by sherlocked (April 6, 2012 12:10 pm)

April 6, 2012 12:06 pm  #163

I agree with those, who say, that it was very unlike Sherlock to allow himself to become a celebrity, so I think, that was part of a bigger plan, but my impression was, that MoGiss hinted at something, that had to do specifically with Sherlock faking his death, so I'm inclined to look at some smaller things, which were out of character. Problem: Sherlock spent almost the whole epiosode doing things out of character, lol!
wholocked, you are quite right - at this point we may well be overthinking, and the find of the huge continuity cluncker with the surveillance camera shot in the Tower shows, that we can never be quite sure, if we are looking at a clue, a mistake or an inconsistency. Heck, we don't even know, if the writers have sorted out everything already or if they are still making things up, as they go along. They might even change their minds about a few things. That's the reason, we can never be sure, that we hit the truth with our speculation. But we will have created a rich universe of possibilities until we are presented with the solution. And there's a good chance, that we might not even like all aspects of it.

April 7, 2012 7:20 pm  #164

I don't know if sombody has already mention this, but the little ball Sherlock is holding. A small ball under the arm stops the blood flowing.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly56ciZK091qdazsvo2_250.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lie to me," he said. "I love you," he replied.

April 18, 2012 11:00 am  #165

This is not a theory, just a very funny thing I found in The Final Problem (tumblr) about Moffat and the theories.
I can't stop laughing.

Moffat: I’ve been online and looked at all the theories, and there’s one clue that everyone’s missed. It’s something that Sherlock did that was very out of character, but which nobody has picked up on.
Fandom: OMG, what?! *goes to rewatch*
Moffat: And now we wait.
Fandom: Was it the crying? Or that he shook hands with Jim?
Moffat: Dance, my puppets, dance.
Fandom: Maybe it was that he called John instead of texting? Or that he threw away his phone?
Moffat: Not telling.
Fandom: He made tea? He panicked? He was nice to Molly? He acknowledged having more than one friend? He played with a bouncy ball? He grabbed Jim by the collar? He didn't worry about Mrs. Hudson? He didn't examine Jim's corpse? He says he's not clever? He didn't solve the key puzzle correctly? He threw himself off a roof?
Moffat: I'm enjoying your suffering.
Fandom: What is it? Tell us! We will never figure it out because EVERYTHING SHERLOCK DID DURING THE ENTIRE EPISODE WAS COMPLETELY OUT OF CHARACTER. WE DIDN'T NOTICE BEFORE, BUT NOW THAT YOU'VE POINTED IT OUT WE FEEL IT WAS ALL VERY BADLY WRITTEN.
Thompson: Thanks for that, Steven. Thanks so very much.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the thing is, we've taken away all the things that can possibly have happened, so I suppose the only thing that's left, even though it seems really weird, must be the thing that did happen, in fact. (Miss Marple)

April 18, 2012 12:17 pm  #166

Bwahaha I've spent a bit of time on FP blog but hadn't seem that one. It's so true.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

April 18, 2012 1:06 pm  #167

Hilarious! Maybe the clue is what he did do in character then! ha ha

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 18, 2012 1:51 pm  #168

I agree, Davina, that must be the clue 

Here's the direct link

http://finalproblem.tumblr.com/post/16357558344/in-my-mind-it-went-something-like-this

May 25, 2012 6:28 am  #169

Ok....Did anyone notice that when sherlock was actually falling from the rooftop--that he had some WHITE  pieces of clothing on him?   Where did THAT come from?   I  wonder if steven moffat has read THIS forum?   Have  we found the clue  yet?   I  haven't.  and I've seen that episode at least 4 times  now,  just watched it again on dvd tonight. 

Also,  the tea cups--did anyone notice that one cup  had a shape of a HOUSE  inside of it,  while the other one did NOT?  Moriarty drank out of it.  And,  how did Sherlock KNOW  what was in those gifts,  without even opening them?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 25, 2012 6:44 am  #170

I think he just shook them and guessed by their size, and anyway, there's only a limited array of 'Normal' gifts (not Ear-hats)

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

May 25, 2012 6:50 am  #171

sherlockskitty wrote:

Ok....Did anyone notice that when sherlock was actually falling from the rooftop--that he had some WHITE  pieces of clothing on him?   Where did THAT come from?

Undergarments.

Also,  the tea cups--did anyone notice that one cup  had a shape of a HOUSE  inside of it,  while the other one did NOT?  Moriarty drank out of it.  And,  how did Sherlock KNOW  what was in those gifts,  without even opening them?

yep, we have some pics in the forum of them. I'll find a link for that thread.

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=50&p=4

Bottom of that page you will find pics of the teacups

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 25, 2012 8:33 am  #172

I recall something on FP blog about the tea cups. They are both the same but because Sherlock drinks his with his right hand we don't see the inside image as it's facing him, whereas Moriarty turns the cup around.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

May 25, 2012 8:37 am  #173

Wholocked wrote:

I recall something on FP blog about the tea cups. They are both the same but because Sherlock drinks his with his right hand we don't see the inside image as it's facing him, whereas Moriarty turns the cup around.

Exactly this. 

May 25, 2012 10:50 am  #174

Wholocked wrote:

Yes, that's what is explained in the link I posted up there.
(I keep forgetting people don't look at links)

Here is the post, there was discussion that the cups were different, I was showing how they were the same :

they look the same to me.

Remember they are holding the cups differently, Moriarty left handed, Sherlock right handed.
The motif on the inside and outside is visible on Moriarty's yet Sherlock's are both turned inward and you can't see them.

____________________________________________________________________________________________
Also, please note that sentences can also end in full stops. The exclamation mark can be overused.

Mycroft’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all. He is, after all, incredibly beautiful, clever and well-dressed. And beautiful. Did I mention that?
--Mark Gatiss

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Robert McCloskey

May 25, 2012 12:11 pm  #175

Oh BTW I've solved it.

Sherlock jumped & died but John brought him back to life.
Proof you say?
Easy, as the clue says, it's all on screen to see.

John's a healer by trade. A miracle healer at that. Look at his head straight after he hit the deck:

Big ouchies.

Then he gets up and voila!

HEALED!
Now anyone that fast at miracle healing could surely bring his friend back to life.

**Use of exclamation marks in this post were scrutinised thoroughly before posting & deemed totally appropriate.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 25, 2012 3:06 pm  #176

Oooh, yes, kazza...

You solved it!!!!!*

* Are this exclamation marks ok? 

May 25, 2012 3:18 pm  #177

Irene_Adler wrote:

Oooh, yes, kazza...

You solved it!!!!!*

Almost. Should only be 3 (one per word) Unless of course the sentence contains the word 'Cumberbatch' in which case you may choose any number between 4 and 1895.

--Mark Gatiss

Robert McCloskey

May 25, 2012 3:27 pm  #178

kazza474 wrote:

Irene_Adler wrote:

Oooh, yes, kazza...

You solved it!!!!!*

Almost. Should only be 3 (one per word) Unless of course the sentence contains the word 'Cumberbatch' in which case you may choose any number between 4 and 1895.

Noted 
Won't happen again... 

May 25, 2012 5:04 pm  #179

No,  the tea cups---when  Sherlock  put them both down  on the tray,  I  could clearly see the INSIDE  of them.   ONE  of them  had  the crown inside of   it,  but the other one did NOT.   Guess which one Moriarty drank out of?

Last edited by sherlockskitty (May 25, 2012 5:21 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SHERLOCK!!!!!!

May 25, 2012 6:13 pm  #180

Oh, I see (Or should that be, I observe...)

I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee...
Hmm. I really don't know. Oh, I'm sorry, did I say 'know'? I meant 'care'. I don't really care. 
Douglas Richardson, Cremona

Board footera