BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 15, 2013 10:29 am  #901

Re: Go on then...what are your theories?

I reckon he borrowed Mycroft's umbrella and floated down like Mary Poppins x

He does love to be dramatic.
Well, thank god you're above all that!

July 15, 2013 9:41 pm  #902

So, do you have a theory?  Or do you lean one way or another toward one? 

Well, since you ask...:-) (I actually have lots of them at this point, but I'll spread 'em out...this will still be a tome, though.)

I guess I don't have a single theory of everything, and I in fact feel like pursuit of one is part of what's getting us into trouble. We're all trying to be so linear about the solutions, but there are all these different threads of narrative and portions of different theories can satisfy certain threads while not necessarily all of them. And that's okay. 

My first overall axiom of the entire series is that Moffniss went into this whole thing not with the goal of "let's trick the viewers"--they went in, I am convinced, with the desire to tell a good story, and to tell it well and authentically. This pretty much informs where I stand on all the various theories:

1. Any theory which relies on tricky camera shots and the directors deliberately trying to obfuscate what's happening where, who said what, who did what, etc. --I cannot accept. The narrative is very clear that John and Sherlock were having a conversation between ground level and top of building. And...

2. The narrative is also very clear that they ended the conversation, Sherlock threw down the phone, John yelled, Sherlock fell forward off the building. Sherlock fell flailing down the side of the building, and Something or Someone with Sherlock's coat and Sherlocky brown curly hair landed on the pavement a large split second later. For whatever-it-was to have been anything other than Sherlock would require a time-lag not present in the narrative. (There is, however, that split second from the second floor to the ground when we do not see anything. Whatever-it-was could have happened there, in that blind spot.)

3. When John does make it over to the body, it's a limp human body with Sherlock's bloodied face and BC's inimitable heart-stopping multicolored eyes staring into space. That's him. Not a dummy, not a fake, certainly no Mission-Impossible masks. It's Sherlock.

A second axiom I hold pretty firmly: Canon is clear that Moriarty wasn't just another archvillian Sherlock conquered, he was the one who was as smart as Holmes and had a seriously good shot at defeating our hero, to the extent that ACD's Sherlock was prepared to die to defeat him and very nearly did. Theories which rely on "Sherlock had this all worked out from the beginning, he was never in doubt, he had the whole thing planned and Moriarty was going to lose from the start" fly in the face of this, and I pretty much reject those as well. Sherlock was up against his match, Sherlock knew he could lose, and the best he could do was cover all the bases he could and improvise frantically, which fortunately he's preternaturally good at. But if you watch his face on the roof, especially when no one can see, you can tell there's a lot of emotion there, and I don't buy that he's faking emotions for some random sniper whose location he was clever enough to predict in advance.

So. That's where I stand on what's already out there. Sherlock planned to jump before he went onto the roof, but a lot of what happened up there was unexpected to him and he had to punt a bit and in the end did have to go through with the jump. He jumped. Something and/or many someones between floor 2 and cement level enabled him to, like, not die. I'll get there later.

Anyway, trying to piece through stuff never worked for me until I stopped just looking at the fall itself and went back further in the episode and even in the season--going narrative, and looking at where the narrative could lead and what the thoughts and goals were BEFORE the fact.

I went back to the whole thing where Mycroft interrogated Moriarty and then, for some inexplicable reason, just let him go. Mycroft is way too smart for this to just have been an "oh well, guess it didn't work"--I'd say it's a given that he was turning him over to Sherlock. I will be interested to see whether Sherlock was in on this plan or not, whether Mycroft just did it knowing his brother would play the game out to its conclusion and accomplish what the British government couldn't, or whether there was a conversation between the two of them. (Or, if the former, at what point Sherlock caught or catches on--he didn't seem surprised at JM's "All the king's horses couldn't make me tell" thing, and it could be a fantastic scene somewhere in the next episode when they confront each other and with their usual dysfunctional relational acuity manage to do all the accusing, apologizing, defending, righteous indignation, resentment, and whatever other baggagy dreck they need to spew, in about 3 lines of very clipped British dialogue and some elegantly manipulated eyebrows and sneers...)

So, if we say Sherlock knows Moriarty is his problem, and Mycrosoft has basically washed his hands but is paying attention...Moriarty then pulls Sherlock into the game again with his triple crime and acquittal, and Sherlock plays along perhaps just to see exactly what Moriarty's game plan is--maybe they knew the key was fake, and maybe they didn't, or maybe they knew it was fake but not exactly how he'd pulled it off...but we need to keep in mind that Sherlock didn't defeat Moriarty at the pool; he walked away. So Sherlock wouldn't, I think, be too cocky about this. 

I have other theories about the in-betweenage, but this is already getting long, so skipping ahead--Thinking of Sherlock after the Richard Brook encounter at Kitty's, it seems that he realizes the only way to defeat JM is to follow the game to its deadly conclusion, fake his own death, and then go deep undercover with the freedom and anonymity to defeat Moriarty without his adversary knowing he was even trying. So it seems to me that his plan for the roof of St. Bart's would ultimately be to stage his own death in such a way that Moriarty himself would believe it. Think of it---suppose JM had not killed himself, and Sherlock had jumped during his "moment of privacy." Based on what we saw in the episode, by the time Moriarty made it to the edge of the roof to look down, there the bloody body would be. It was so freaking FAST. Obviously Sherlock would hope that there'd be an alternative, that he wouldn't actually have to make the jump and that he could defeat JM some other way, but he also must have known that it would likely come down to it--as it in fact did. And he didn't have much time to put a plan together--only a few hours. (Another nail in the "Madame Tussaud's theory" coffin.)

This changes our concept of what had to happen on the ground, if indeed it's what was part of the plan. For one thing, of course, yes, those people on the ground were part of the homeless network, and of course they weren't real medics. Mollie could, in addition to providing a convenient cadaver for which to write up a nice legal death certificate and send to the mortuary, have gotten access to paramedic uniforms and scrubs. But I keep thinking of that cyclist--what if his job was not to prevent John from getting over to the building, but to prevent anyone from getting there? And who knows how many other BSIs might have been outside of drop range with the express goal of distracting anyone who might otherwise head into visual range? A lot of the theories have hinged on "whatever the plan was it had to look right to any ordinary passerby, not just the guy on the roof." What if there were a plan in place to make sure there were no passersby? (How close to dawn are we at this point, anyway? How early is it? The workman/assassin/inkdude is at 221 already, so it can't be crazy early...how many pedestrians would there be?) What if their only goal was to fool the guy on the roof?

I noticed that when Sherlock plummeted, he did the increase-air-resistance flailing thing on the way down, and you can see him pointing his feet to the ground at the end of that part of the shot. (Which, according to the All-Wise Interwebz, is the best way to land when falling from a distance, and which for me shows his intent to really fall but do it as--erm--safely?--as possible.) And yet he lands torso/headfirst. And others have pointed out the "he fell perpendicular to the building but landed parallel" issue. I think he must have fallen on/along/through something about 8 feet off the ground, but until they tell us (unless it shows up at some other point in the episode and that's the clue we all missed) I think we'll just have to wait and see. 

Once on the ground, there could have been a couple of plans in place--a lot of folks have commented on the "real medics would never just schlep him up onto a gurney if he were injured," and I totally concur--but if he was conscious enough to say "I'm fine, John's coming, get me the hell out of here the second he sees my corpse" they could have taken it from there--that's part of what I like about this plan: if he is conscious enough to direct events from the ground, he could verbally get things moving, and if something went wrong and he landed unconscious or broken or serious injured in some way and it all went to hell they could get him safely into the hospital where Mollie could arrange to have him pronounced dead if necessary a few minutes later...there are improvisatory alternatives. And he would trust Mollie to see to things if he could not. In Mollie, he realized earlier in the episode, he had a smart, trustworth, competent ally whom pretty much everyone overlooks and underestimates.

The thing that has hit me hardest after reading everyone else's theories is one I never thought of but which makes perfect poetic sense--the one about how Richard Brook is the real person, and Moriarty is fake, an invention, a fairy tale. I love love love this, because it's the kind of thing not only did a huge piece of fandom not catch, I can see it as something Sherlock might have completely missed--he was so fixated on Moriarty for so long, I could see how it might never occur even to him that this giant fixture of the criminal world only came into being ephemerally and had a completely normal "regular" life. Which which is to say that--per Sherlock's conversation with John at the end--Sherlock really did create Moriarty. He would not have existed, he would not have perpetrated all those crazy crimes for Sherlock to solve, he would not have murdered the little old lady and 11 others in her apartment, if Sherlock hadn't emerged in the visual field of a brilliant psychopathic narcissistic little creep who wanted to be the star of his own fairy tale, and fed the little s%#t everything he wanted and needed to live his own insane fantasies. Pushed him harder, made him be better, challenged him to be cleverer and more diabolical. Validated him. Mirror images of each other, with one on the side of the angels and the other...not so much. And Sherlock realizes this at the end, and I'm guessing it'll give him no end of guilty conscience in the future. (Though we'll rarely see it, of course.)

So...there's a beginning to the long-windedness that is me. I am delighted to find these forums; no one else seems to share my obsession with figuring this stuff out, and I can't even get my husband to watch the show with me, so this is a valuable outlet and may keep me sane till the next season comes out, not to mention during the next hiatus. 

(p.s. LOVE the spoileryness! It's fabulous. :-))

"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking, but usually it's subtext."

July 15, 2013 9:43 pm  #903

nicbooful wrote:

I reckon he borrowed Mycroft's umbrella and floated down like Mary Poppins x

ZOMG!!! Spoilers! Benedict was filmed with an umbrella in Season 3! 
;-)

"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking, but usually it's subtext."

July 15, 2013 10:44 pm  #904

Gretel wrote:

So, do you have a theory?  Or do you lean one way or another toward one? 

Well, since you ask...:-) (I actually have lots of them at this point, but I'll spread 'em out...this will still be a tome, though.)

I guess I don't have a single theory of everything, and I in fact feel like pursuit of one is part of what's getting us into trouble. We're all trying to be so linear about the solutions, but there are all these different threads of narrative and portions of different theories can satisfy certain threads while not necessarily all of them. And that's okay. 

My first overall axiom of the entire series is that Moffniss went into this whole thing not with the goal of "let's trick the viewers"--they went in, I am convinced, with the desire to tell a good story, and to tell it well and authentically. This pretty much informs where I stand on all the various theories:

1. Any theory which relies on tricky camera shots and the directors deliberately trying to obfuscate what's happening where, who said what, who did what, etc. --I cannot accept. The narrative is very clear that John and Sherlock were having a conversation between ground level and top of building. And...

2. The narrative is also very clear that they ended the conversation, Sherlock threw down the phone, John yelled, Sherlock fell forward off the building. Sherlock fell flailing down the side of the building, and Something or Someone with Sherlock's coat and Sherlocky brown curly hair landed on the pavement a large split second later. For whatever-it-was to have been anything other than Sherlock would require a time-lag not present in the narrative. (There is, however, that split second from the second floor to the ground when we do not see anything. Whatever-it-was could have happened there, in that blind spot.)

3. When John does make it over to the body, it's a limp human body with Sherlock's bloodied face and BC's inimitable heart-stopping multicolored eyes staring into space. That's him. Not a dummy, not a fake, certainly no Mission-Impossible masks. It's Sherlock.

A second axiom I hold pretty firmly: Canon is clear that Moriarty wasn't just another archvillian Sherlock conquered, he was the one who was as smart as Holmes and had a seriously good shot at defeating our hero, to the extent that ACD's Sherlock was prepared to die to defeat him and very nearly did. Theories which rely on "Sherlock had this all worked out from the beginning, he was never in doubt, he had the whole thing planned and Moriarty was going to lose from the start" fly in the face of this, and I pretty much reject those as well. Sherlock was up against his match, Sherlock knew he could lose, and the best he could do was cover all the bases he could and improvise frantically, which fortunately he's preternaturally good at. But if you watch his face on the roof, especially when no one can see, you can tell there's a lot of emotion there, and I don't buy that he's faking emotions for some random sniper whose location he was clever enough to predict in advance.

So. That's where I stand on what's already out there. Sherlock planned to jump before he went onto the roof, but a lot of what happened up there was unexpected to him and he had to punt a bit and in the end did have to go through with the jump. He jumped. Something and/or many someones between floor 2 and cement level enabled him to, like, not die. I'll get there later.

Anyway, trying to piece through stuff never worked for me until I stopped just looking at the fall itself and went back further in the episode and even in the season--going narrative, and looking at where the narrative could lead and what the thoughts and goals were BEFORE the fact.

I went back to the whole thing where Mycroft interrogated Moriarty and then, for some inexplicable reason, just let him go. Mycroft is way too smart for this to just have been an "oh well, guess it didn't work"--I'd say it's a given that he was turning him over to Sherlock. I will be interested to see whether Sherlock was in on this plan or not, whether Mycroft just did it knowing his brother would play the game out to its conclusion and accomplish what the British government couldn't, or whether there was a conversation between the two of them. (Or, if the former, at what point Sherlock caught or catches on--he didn't seem surprised at JM's "All the king's horses couldn't make me tell" thing, and it could be a fantastic scene somewhere in the next episode when they confront each other and with their usual dysfunctional relational acuity manage to do all the accusing, apologizing, defending, righteous indignation, resentment, and whatever other baggagy dreck they need to spew, in about 3 lines of very clipped British dialogue and some elegantly manipulated eyebrows and sneers...)

So, if we say Sherlock knows Moriarty is his problem, and Mycrosoft has basically washed his hands but is paying attention...Moriarty then pulls Sherlock into the game again with his triple crime and acquittal, and Sherlock plays along perhaps just to see exactly what Moriarty's game plan is--maybe they knew the key was fake, and maybe they didn't, or maybe they knew it was fake but not exactly how he'd pulled it off...but we need to keep in mind that Sherlock didn't defeat Moriarty at the pool; he walked away. So Sherlock wouldn't, I think, be too cocky about this. 

I have other theories about the in-betweenage, but this is already getting long, so skipping ahead--Thinking of Sherlock after the Richard Brook encounter at Kitty's, it seems that he realizes the only way to defeat JM is to follow the game to its deadly conclusion, fake his own death, and then go deep undercover with the freedom and anonymity to defeat Moriarty without his adversary knowing he was even trying. So it seems to me that his plan for the roof of St. Bart's would ultimately be to stage his own death in such a way that Moriarty himself would believe it. Think of it---suppose JM had not killed himself, and Sherlock had jumped during his "moment of privacy." Based on what we saw in the episode, by the time Moriarty made it to the edge of the roof to look down, there the bloody body would be. It was so freaking FAST. Obviously Sherlock would hope that there'd be an alternative, that he wouldn't actually have to make the jump and that he could defeat JM some other way, but he also must have known that it would likely come down to it--as it in fact did. And he didn't have much time to put a plan together--only a few hours. (Another nail in the "Madame Tussaud's theory" coffin.)

This changes our concept of what had to happen on the ground, if indeed it's what was part of the plan. For one thing, of course, yes, those people on the ground were part of the homeless network, and of course they weren't real medics. Mollie could, in addition to providing a convenient cadaver for which to write up a nice legal death certificate and send to the mortuary, have gotten access to paramedic uniforms and scrubs. But I keep thinking of that cyclist--what if his job was not to prevent John from getting over to the building, but to prevent anyone from getting there? And who knows how many other BSIs might have been outside of drop range with the express goal of distracting anyone who might otherwise head into visual range? A lot of the theories have hinged on "whatever the plan was it had to look right to any ordinary passerby, not just the guy on the roof." What if there were a plan in place to make sure there were no passersby? (How close to dawn are we at this point, anyway? How early is it? The workman/assassin/inkdude is at 221 already, so it can't be crazy early...how many pedestrians would there be?) What if their only goal was to fool the guy on the roof?

I noticed that when Sherlock plummeted, he did the increase-air-resistance flailing thing on the way down, and you can see him pointing his feet to the ground at the end of that part of the shot. (Which, according to the All-Wise Interwebz, is the best way to land when falling from a distance, and which for me shows his intent to really fall but do it as--erm--safely?--as possible.) And yet he lands torso/headfirst. And others have pointed out the "he fell perpendicular to the building but landed parallel" issue. I think he must have fallen on/along/through something about 8 feet off the ground, but until they tell us (unless it shows up at some other point in the episode and that's the clue we all missed) I think we'll just have to wait and see. 

Once on the ground, there could have been a couple of plans in place--a lot of folks have commented on the "real medics would never just schlep him up onto a gurney if he were injured," and I totally concur--but if he was conscious enough to say "I'm fine, John's coming, get me the hell out of here the second he sees my corpse" they could have taken it from there--that's part of what I like about this plan: if he is conscious enough to direct events from the ground, he could verbally get things moving, and if something went wrong and he landed unconscious or broken or serious injured in some way and it all went to hell they could get him safely into the hospital where Mollie could arrange to have him pronounced dead if necessary a few minutes later...there are improvisatory alternatives. And he would trust Mollie to see to things if he could not. In Mollie, he realized earlier in the episode, he had a smart, trustworth, competent ally whom pretty much everyone overlooks and underestimates.

The thing that has hit me hardest after reading everyone else's theories is one I never thought of but which makes perfect poetic sense--the one about how Richard Brook is the real person, and Moriarty is fake, an invention, a fairy tale. I love love love this, because it's the kind of thing not only did a huge piece of fandom not catch, I can see it as something Sherlock might have completely missed--he was so fixated on Moriarty for so long, I could see how it might never occur even to him that this giant fixture of the criminal world only came into being ephemerally and had a completely normal "regular" life. Which which is to say that--per Sherlock's conversation with John at the end--Sherlock really did create Moriarty. He would not have existed, he would not have perpetrated all those crazy crimes for Sherlock to solve, he would not have murdered the little old lady and 11 others in her apartment, if Sherlock hadn't emerged in the visual field of a brilliant psychopathic narcissistic little creep who wanted to be the star of his own fairy tale, and fed the little s%#t everything he wanted and needed to live his own insane fantasies. Pushed him harder, made him be better, challenged him to be cleverer and more diabolical. Validated him. Mirror images of each other, with one on the side of the angels and the other...not so much. And Sherlock realizes this at the end, and I'm guessing it'll give him no end of guilty conscience in the future. (Though we'll rarely see it, of course.)

So...there's a beginning to the long-windedness that is me. I am delighted to find these forums; no one else seems to share my obsession with figuring this stuff out, and I can't even get my husband to watch the show with me, so this is a valuable outlet and may keep me sane till the next season comes out, not to mention during the next hiatus. 

(p.s. LOVE the spoileryness! It's fabulous. :-))

Wow. what a long post . I like your ideas because they are not so complicated - it´s more the style Moffat and Gatiss use in my eyes. It summarizes exactly what I thought some months ago.
The only thing I have problems with is the name changing thing: Moriarty is Richard Brook. Simply, because in the foreground story Moriarty has chosen that name because the case of Turner´s painture made Sherlock famous. The other way around it makes no sense to me.

July 16, 2013 12:08 am  #905

Wow. what a long post . I like your ideas because they are not so complicated - it´s more the style Moffat and Gatiss use in my eyes. It summarizes exactly what I thought some months ago.
The only thing I have problems with is the name changing thing: Moriarty is Richard Brook. Simply, because in the foreground story Moriarty has chosen that name because the case of Turner´s painture made Sherlock famous. The other way around it makes no sense to me.

You're right, I wasn't clear...it's not so much that I think Brook was the name the guy was born with, maybe he changed it along the way, maybe, hell, he dreamed up the name for the hell of it based on visiting the actual falls when skulking around Europe--the Falls are real, and the paintings were around for a long time. So yeah, I'm sure that wasn't the name he was born with--I'm just saying that Richard Brook the actor probably really was Richard Brook the actor, doing a lot of kiddie-work (which our heroes would never really have seen) and there was just that one mention of a medical drama...Rich Brooks was Clark Kent, and Moriarty was his supervillain alter-ego, if you like. I mean, as idiotic as Kitty was, you've gotta assume that she did at least a little checking up on this actor guy. If he were a famous actor, he couldn't've done it, but his story was based on his being an out-of-work actor, so he wouldn't be all that likely to be recognized. Remember, we don't even have anything concrete saying that he did join the cast of that medical drama, just that he was slated to.  (And remember the only reason Sherlock became famous due to the painting being recovered was Moriarty's causing--in whatever way--its being stolen to begin with. With all the paintings in the world...why that one?)

It just makes more sense on a lot of levels...it would take a lot more work to create a working actor's portfolio than to simply have that life to begin with and take it from there. 

It's also the only way I was able to reconcile Sherlock's final conversation with John, when he tells him to tell "anyone who will listen" that he "created Moriarty." Notice he (of the incredibly precise dialogue) doesn't say "I made Moriarty up" or "Moriarty doesn't exist." He said, "I created [him]" And the way Sherlock literally seemed to feed on Moriarty's games, wouldn't Moriarty have been doing the same thing on his side? Like some loathsome union of matter and dark matter, circling closer to each other until they unmake the universe...until Sherlock opted out, realizing too late what he'd had a part in creating.

Yes, I know. Shaping facts to support the theory. But I geek out over the writer stuff, and character-arc wise, this stuff is GOLD.

July 16, 2013 12:20 am  #906

Gretel wrote:

You're right, I wasn't clear...it's not so much that I think Brook was the name the guy was born with, maybe he changed it along the way, maybe, hell, he dreamed up the name for the hell of it based on visiting the actual falls when skulking around Europe--the Falls are real, and the paintings were around for a long time. So yeah, I'm sure that wasn't the name he was born with--I'm just saying that Richard Brook the actor probably really was Richard Brook the actor, doing a lot of kiddie-work (which our heroes would never really have seen) and there was just that one mention of a medical drama...Rich Brooks was Clark Kent, and Moriarty was his supervillain alter-ego, if you like. I mean, as idiotic as Kitty was, you've gotta assume that she did at least a little checking up on this actor guy. If he were a famous actor, he couldn't've done it, but his story was based on his being an out-of-work actor, so he wouldn't be all that likely to be recognized. Remember, we don't even have anything concrete saying that he did join the cast of that medical drama, just that he was slated to.  (And remember the only reason Sherlock became famous due to the painting being recovered was Moriarty's causing--in whatever way--its being stolen to begin with. With all the paintings in the world...why that one?)

It just makes more sense on a lot of levels...it would take a lot more work to create a working actor's portfolio than to simply have that life to begin with and take it from there. 

It's also the only way I was able to reconcile Sherlock's final conversation with John, when he tells him to tell "anyone who will listen" that he "created Moriarty." Notice he (of the incredibly precise dialogue) doesn't say "I made Moriarty up" or "Moriarty doesn't exist." He said, "I created [him]" And the way Sherlock literally seemed to feed on Moriarty's games, wouldn't Moriarty have been doing the same thing on his side? Like some loathsome union of matter and dark matter, circling closer to each other until they unmake the universe...until Sherlock opted out, realizing too late what he'd had a part in creating.

Yes, I know. Shaping facts to support the theory. But I geek out over the writer stuff, and character-arc wise, this stuff is GOLD.

I would say that Sherlock has had much longer to plan than a few hours, though.  He went to see Molly long before John showed up. and then John fell asleep (for we know not how long).  But he would know which favors to pull in, and he could easily get as much help as he needed.  I can't imagine that the medical personel don't already know what his plan is and are counting on it, otherwise, they would be very confused, starting resuscitation efforts and stuff like that...they'd have to know ahead of time, and Sherlock wants it to go smoothly, so that there are no questions asked.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 16, 2013 1:02 am  #907

I would say that Sherlock has had much longer to plan than a few hours, though.  He went to see Molly long before John showed up. and then John fell asleep (for we know not how long).  But he would know which favors to pull in, and he could easily get as much help as he needed.

Well, that's true; I mainly figured his meeting with Mollie was sometime "at night" (i.e. the night before) and the "next morning"...so I guess it depends on what constitutes "a few" hours. I guess my point was, not really long enough to do anything crazy-elaborate, he had to work with what he could pull off in a fairly brief period of time. 

I can't imagine that the medical personel don't already know what his plan is and are counting on it, otherwise, they would be very confused, starting resuscitation efforts and stuff like that...they'd have to know ahead of time, and Sherlock wants it to go smoothly, so that there are no questions asked.

I assumed none of those out in front were medical personnel, which was why they needed to get him off the sidewalk so quickly...I mean, let's face it, as first responders go that whole bunch looked like they got their certificates at Kmart or something. I thought they were homeless network folks. 

July 16, 2013 1:57 am  #908

MysteriaSleuthbedder wrote:

For a second there I thought I was in the wrong thread.

AH!! SPOILERS!! RUN AWAY!! AWAY!!

================================================================

November 12, 2013 5:04 am  #909

Reichenbach theory (please read)
It is very detailed, sry if you are bored,
Sorry for the grammatical mistakes, I have just learnt English , my mother tongue is Different..
So it starts when...

Sherlock  goes to Kitty , rather when he is rushing out of there, he says

SHERLOCK: He’s got my whole life story. That’s what you do when you sell a big lie; you wrap it up in the truth to make it more palatable.

JOHN: Your word against his.

SHERLOCK: He’s been sowing doubt into people’s minds for the last twenty-four hours. There’s only one thing he needs to do to complete his game, and that’s to ...
(He stops dead as he makes a realisation. John, who has still been rifling through the folder, looks up at his friend, who is turned away from him.)
Then and there Sherlock realises that Moriarty is planning sherlock's death to complete his game...

Afterwards he goes to Bart's to ask Molly's help.. (ALONE)

John returns from Mycroft's place, while sherlock is seen in the lab bouncing a small rubber ball on the cupboard in front of him.. He acts as if he wants to know the key code Moriarty used to create a fake identity of his.
Later... Someone calls John and tells him that Mrs Hudson has been shot.john asks sherlock to come but ,sherlock refuses by saying he is busy and he needs to think.. John leaves the Bart's lab.
Sherlock receives a text from Moriarty
I’m waiting...
-JM

Jim is seen listening to the song 'staying alive' on his i-phone
While talking , Jim insults sherlock by saying that he is ordinary like all others
Sherlock shows him the binary code he discovered in the lab earlier
The conversation there is as follows
SHERLOCK: Every beat is a one; every rest is a zero. Binary code. That’s why all those assassins tried to save my life. It was hidden on me; hidden inside my head – a few simple lines of computer code that can break into any system.
JIM: I told all my clients: last one to Sherlock is a sissy.
SHERLOCK (gesturing to his own head): Yes, but now that it’s up here, I can use it to alter all the records. I can kill Rich Brook and bring back Jim Moriarty.
(Jim gazes at him for a moment, then turns away with a disappointed look on his face.)
JIM: No, no, no, no, no, this is too easy.
(He buries his head in his hands.)
JIM: This is too easy.
(Lowering his hands, he turns back to Sherlock.)
JIM: There is no key, DOOFUS!
(He screams the last word into Sherlock’s face.)
JIM: Those digits are meaningless. They’re utterly meaningless.
(Sherlock can’t hide the confusion on his face.)
Actually Sherlock deliberately puts the look of confusion on his face..
Later when Moriarty asks Sherlock to kill himself by jumping off the rooftop

JIM (not even looking at him): Your death is the only thing that’s gonna call off the killers. I’m certainly not gonna do it.
(Now he turns his head and looks up at his enemy expectantly. Sherlock blinks anxiously.)
SHERLOCK: Would you give me ... one moment, please; one moment of privacy?
(He glances down at Jim.)
SHERLOCK: Please?
(Jim looks disappointed that Sherlock should be so ‘ordinary’.)
JIM: Of course.
(He moves away across the roof. Sherlock takes several shallow anxious breaths, then he stops breathing for a moment as his brain kicks into gear again. He lifts his gaze as his expression becomes more like the Sherlock we know and his eyes become thoughtful. Slowly a smile spreads across his face and he starts to chuckle. Behind him, Jim is slowly walking across the roof but he stops, his expression livid, as Sherlock laughs with delight. Jim spins around furiously.)
JIM: What?
(Sherlock continues to laugh.)
JIM (angrily): What is it?
(Sherlock half turns on the ledge, smiling towards him as he glares back.)
JIM (angrily): What did I miss?
(Sherlock hops down off the ledge and walks closer to him.)
SHERLOCK: “You’re not going to do it.” So the killers can be called off, then – there’s a recall code or a word or a number.
(Now he’s the one circling his prey.)
SHERLOCK: I don’t have to die ... (his voice becomes sing-song) ... if I’ve got you.

Before this when sherlock leans his head down looking if everything he arranged is there or not..
After a while Jim kills himself to succeed in his plan..
Which was his big mistake...

Sherlock stands on the ledge to Finally jump. He again looks down but we don't see the ground again which means that something is arranged by sherlock to fake his own death which can be seen from the top angle. Which is why sherlock encouraged Moriarty to suicide
. Like there might be Mycroft's / Sherlock's people sitting inside the garbage struck which is seen parked exactly in front of Sherlock's dead body .. Sherlock might have jumped inside the truck, or the people in there must have spread some thing like a mattress which will cause sherlock less harm...
Sherlock phones John and tells him that he is on the rooftop, john rushes to come to him but Sherlock forces him to stand where ever his is then..

When Sherlock lands on the ground we see that john didn't have a direct view of his landing, their is a small building between them which helps Sherlock to block John's view

John immediately runs to rescue sherlock but bumps into a cycle riding by. (Which is obviously planned)
People are seen gathered around Sherlock's body
While john is on the ground on of person might have put fake blood around sherlock..

Then john stands up still feeling a little dizzy, he rushes towards Sherlock , people around him try to push him back but somehow he reaches his wrist of the hand which is pressed to the ground to find pulse..

U can search on internet that if you take a ball of a small size exactly like the on sherlock is seen , and if you press the ball tightly in your underarm , the pulse of the hand can't be felt... That's how John couldn't fell the pulse..

Sooo the conclusion is....
1) Molly did all the paperwork needed to announce that sherlock is dead.
2) All the the people and doctors who came for help were Mycroft's people.
3) Because of the small rubber ball pressed against Sherlock's underarm John couldn't fell his pulse.
4) Sherlock encouraged Moriarty himself to kill himself, so Sherlock could fake his fake his death.
5) Molly could arrange the dead body of Sherlock to bury under the tombstone

TOTALLY SHERLOCKED 
Proud to be a Sherlockian 

November 12, 2013 6:47 am  #910

No 5, do you mean Moriarty?!
I think Sherlock gets Molly to fake a death certficate for him,...or such like.
Other than that, I think you're pretty spot onl.
Tho I'm not sure if Moriarty didn't intend to kill himself anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 12, 2013 6:24 pm  #911

Gretel wrote:

Going on the path of thought regarding Sherlock creating Moriarty.  Look at the tea scene..Moriarty was advertising his abililties to the world during that trial.  Look at Sherlock's reaction when Moriarty says,"and you were helping me."  (Sherlock doesn't seem to happy about that) Another peice to the puzzle that Sherlock created Moriarty..that his obsession for crimes that distract him from boring life led Moriarty to create the games. 

Richard Brook is the real and Moriarty designed to have Turner's RF picture stolen.  Also, look at how the US rep personally asks for Sherlock to lead the investigation into the kidnappings...Moriarty has a hand in this too and Sherlock knows it before even getting to the scene.  It's THE GAME part 2...all of the crimes Sherlock solves in the beginning are creating a public Sherlock Holmes and Sherlock lets this happen to draw the spider out again....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sherlock Holmes, "Perfectly sound analysis but I was hoping you'd go deeper."

November 12, 2013 7:39 pm  #912

Here is some of my theory: I have to get this set before season 3 because my family are having a contest to see who gets closer to the plot as well as the design of how Sherlock faked his death.

So this is the Plot only and takes us to the ledge where Sherlock jumps:

1. Sherlock exchanges his services to his brother-Mycroft- to gain access to the Baskerville again.  Sherlock agrees to help destroy/catch Moriarty.  Mycroft grants access to Baskerville and then at the end of the show lets Moriarty go.  So this starts RF. (check out the scene where Sherlock tells the Captain the he " ex...negotiated" the baskerville time.

2. Step 1 in Sherlock's plan. Become public figure to draw Moriarty out.  (High profile cases equals Moriarty watching) Scene where John tells Sherlock to find a quite case and Sherlock looks frustrated)
3. Step in Moriarty's plan-steal Turner's RF painting- setting up the RF HERO TERM. Great foreshadowing by the writer here: a picture of Germanic waterfalls and Sherlock getting ready for his fall.  (this metaphor is all over RF episode) 
4. Moriarty plan:  3 high profile break ins and Sherlock attending the trial (this move is probably the equivalent of moving a bishop in the opening sequence of chess) Get your opponent in defensive mode.
5.Next step for BOTH players, Tea Scene: draw out opponent by use of force (Intelligence meeting intelligence). A posturing by both to entice the player to make a move.
6. Moriarty Step: Kidnapping.  This is used to drop a hint of doubt to take out Sherlock's support system and also to start to encourage the destruction of Sherlock's reputation. Moriarty does this by Kidnapping the children and making sure that they are stimulated to fear Sherlock.  I don't think anyone can really know how Moriarty does this- I don't see any clues but I can theorize that it probably has to due with imagery. i.e. Kidnapper wears the coat, the hat and resembles Sherlock to ellicite reaction from kid.  She only reacts when she sees sherlock not when she hears him.
7.Mycroft Move: Tell John about Terrorist Bad Guys- an evasive maneuver on Mycroft's part to get Sherlock's attention back on finding the "Code" instead of playing Moriarty's game.  like the BP's plans in the Great Game)
8. Moriarty Move(s)- plant bribed person in police dept. donovan? to get the handcuffed picture of Sherlock or force Sherlock to step outside the law and away from support system. Kitty article expose.  IOU's to unravel Sherlock some more.
9. Sherlock Move- use the found video to tell Moriarty that he is still not playing and also to encourage M that his plan is working by elliciting John's doubtful reactions.
10. Sherlock Move-do what Moriarty wants and become outlaw. get ahead of Moriarty. tries two ways 1. assassins (finding out what they want) 2 Kitty's Informant.  Both provide Sherlock with essential information. 1. the code is advertised and Sherlock is the key to it. 2. the informant turns out to be Moriarty..allowing Sherlock to come to the conclusion that the destruction of Sherlock's Reputation and his person is the end game.
12. Sherlock Move-castleing. Move a new underused player into the game. Molly. Someone Moriarty has overlooked. Sherlock uses Molly for faciliation of faking his death in all of the obvious ways. Oversee medical treatment of Corpse, death certificate, arranging for body for grave. fake blood. ect.  I am still thinking about a way Molly may have been used in addition to this and may add on.

Forgot to put in Moriarty's move: 3 assassins 3 bullets to increase Sherlock pressure to jump.

13.  Sherlock Move-find a code that can be applicable to what he needs Moriarty to buy into.  He knows there is no Code. Mycroft needs to know how Moriarty got into the 3 break-ins. But how to get Moriarty to spill the beans.?Que-stupid Doofus methodology. John helps with the tapping of his fingers. Sherlock realizes that Moriarty would love to contradict and point out Sherlock being stupid. (think Janus Cars and the Wife who contradicted Sherlock-same method here) He uses Bach's Piece to tell Moriarty that that is the code! Sherlock can't think ordinary which is why John is helpful. How to think up something truly Doofus worthy?...John:-) 
14. Sherlock Move-make Moriarty think he's even more ordinary.  Kill Richard Brook and bring back Moriarty.  Shelock knows that Richard Brook is the real and that Sherlock helped to create Moriarty.  But he needs to get M to spill so  the "but how did you...How did I get into the tower..yada yada..daylight robbery."  End game on code- Mycroft will be happy with the tape conversation on sher's phone.. now for the Final Problem...
15. Sherlock's move-find out how many pressure points are out there so he knows if his faked death as been compromised by M holding a gun over Molly's head.  3 guns 3 bullets...nope we're good to go..Molly is safe.
16. Que the Homeless Network below to begin set-up of mechanism that will catch Sherlock in fall.
17. Sherlock's move to ask for Privacy-1st thought remove Moriarty to allow enough time for Sherlock fall and landing not be witnessed by Moriarty. Brainfart here on Sherlock's part.  "i'm not going to call it off" so it can be called off? stop fake suicide and time to go after Moriarty...
18. Sherlock's move (have you notice by now how many moves Sherlock has made to none being made by Moriarty- a good indication that your opponent is going into check mate don't ya think?)  Get to Moriarty. How? Even when Mycroft couldn't. Punching a psychopath in the face doesn't work Mycroft so... Mind F**k time. It all comes down to the "final problem" Staying Alive.   I think if anyone can swing someone into a suicidal psychosis it is Sherlock. How? "I am U" combined with "I may be on the side of the angels but don't think for one moment that I am one of them" In short, I am just as smart as you.  I will battle you and see you in hell if I have to. And that this game only ends with our deaths. And living is overrated now isn't it? This is the best Moriarty your life will ever be with me because Sherlock says in short that he won't be playing anymore. For a guy who is already insane..having your last destraction tell you that he won't be playing anymore is end of the world time. 

Did Sherlock expect Moriarty to kill himself..No. maybe...Walk away again...yes.  But Moriarty plays one last move. He makes a Back Rank Mate..forcing Sherlock into stalemate. I kill myself and you have to kill yourself. 

So this is the plot that gets us to the faked death scene which is a whole other analogy that I will post when I have time.  Sorry this is so long...just skip it if you don't have the time. I am sick and have nothing better to do....laterz!

Last edited by sirlockofthesher (November 12, 2013 7:42 pm)

November 17, 2013 11:17 pm  #913

Jijau wrote:

4) Sherlock encouraged Moriarty himself to kill himself, so Sherlock could fake his fake his death.

I noticed a lot of people subscribe to the #4 idea but I interpreted the rooftop scene quite differently and thanks to your detailed transcript of the rooftop scene, I can explain my theory in detail.

Jijau wrote:

Later... Someone calls John and tells him that Mrs Hudson has been shot.john asks sherlock to come but ,sherlock refuses by saying he is busy and he needs to think.. John leaves the Bart's lab.
Sherlock receives a text from Moriarty
I’m waiting...
-JM

Most people seem to think it was Sherlock that set up the call to get John out of St. Barts but I think it was Moriarty because he texted Sherlock immediately afterwards to go to the roof.  Sherlock's original text to Moriarty to play on the roof came hours earlier which gave Moriarty time to set up his plan (the killers) and it was only when he was ready that he texts Sherlock to go to the roof after luring John away.  Sherlock did not know if or when Moriarty would meet him at the rooftop so it makes no sense for Sherlock to set up that call at that time to lure John away.

Jijau wrote:

Jim is seen listening to the song 'staying alive' on his i-phone
While talking , Jim insults sherlock by saying that he is ordinary like all others
Sherlock shows him the binary code he discovered in the lab earlier
The conversation there is as follows
SHERLOCK: Every beat is a one; every rest is a zero. Binary code. That’s why all those assassins tried to save my life. It was hidden on me; hidden inside my head – a few simple lines of computer code that can break into any system.
JIM: I told all my clients: last one to Sherlock is a sissy.
SHERLOCK (gesturing to his own head): Yes, but now that it’s up here, I can use it to alter all the records. I can kill Rich Brook and bring back Jim Moriarty.
(Jim gazes at him for a moment, then turns away with a disappointed look on his face.)
JIM: No, no, no, no, no, this is too easy.
(He buries his head in his hands.)
JIM: This is too easy.
(Lowering his hands, he turns back to Sherlock.)
JIM: There is no key, DOOFUS!
(He screams the last word into Sherlock’s face.)
JIM: Those digits are meaningless. They’re utterly meaningless.
(Sherlock can’t hide the confusion on his face.)
Actually Sherlock deliberately puts the look of confusion on his face..

A lot of people have expressed this notion that Sherlock thinks ten steps ahead of everyone including Moriarty and that any weakness he exhibits is just acting for Moriarty but I saw this portion of the rooftop scene as showing how Moriarty is genuinely beating Sherlock.

Jijau wrote:

Later when Moriarty asks Sherlock to kill himself by jumping off the rooftop

JIM (not even looking at him): Your death is the only thing that’s gonna call off the killers. I’m certainly not gonna do it.
(Now he turns his head and looks up at his enemy expectantly. Sherlock blinks anxiously.)
SHERLOCK: Would you give me ... one moment, please; one moment of privacy?
(He glances down at Jim.)
SHERLOCK: Please?
(Jim looks disappointed that Sherlock should be so ‘ordinary’.)
JIM: Of course.
(He moves away across the roof. Sherlock takes several shallow anxious breaths, then he stops breathing for a moment as his brain kicks into gear again. He lifts his gaze as his expression becomes more like the Sherlock we know and his eyes become thoughtful. Slowly a smile spreads across his face and he starts to chuckle. Behind him, Jim is slowly walking across the roof but he stops, his expression livid, as Sherlock laughs with delight. Jim spins around furiously.)
JIM: What?
(Sherlock continues to laugh.)
JIM (angrily): What is it?
(Sherlock half turns on the ledge, smiling towards him as he glares back.)
JIM (angrily): What did I miss?
(Sherlock hops down off the ledge and walks closer to him.)
SHERLOCK: “You’re not going to do it.” So the killers can be called off, then – there’s a recall code or a word or a number.
(Now he’s the one circling his prey.)
SHERLOCK: I don’t have to die ... (his voice becomes sing-song) ... if I’ve got you.

Before this when sherlock leans his head down looking if everything he arranged is there or not..
After a while Jim kills himself to succeed in his plan..
Which was his big mistake...

Rather than using the moment of privacy to see if everything is arranged, I thought Sherlock was going into his mind palace to review the facts of the situation which was when he realized that Moriarty had made a slip-of-the-tongue (highlighted in red).  And he deliberately repeats the phrase (in red) back to Moriarty to show he had caught the implications of what he said.

Moriarty tries to regain control by suggesting that if Mycroft couldn't get Moriarty to talk, then Sherlock can't.  Hence, Sherlock responds with "But I'm not my brother, remember?"  Moriarty realizes that Sherlock is just like Moriarty.  They get information from people not by torturing them but by interpreting body language and slips-of-the-tongue.  Moriarty realizes that it's a stalemate and as long as Moriarty is alive, Sherlock might determine the recall code.  Hence, Moriarty sacrifices himself to force Sherlock to jump.

Sorry for the long post.

John:  So you scratch their backs...
Sherlock:  Yes, and I disinfect myself.

November 18, 2013 2:22 am  #914

I think the rational of just forcing Sherlock to jump by suicide was the motive behind Moriarty' suicide needs something more...

the key is the apparent slide of Moriarty's psychology during the "Thank you Bless you" scene.

Moriarty hit some sort-of psychosis that promoted his suicide. Like Moriarty said 'all the kings horsemen" couldnt make him talk.

There is something I like about your theory that resonates.  Sherlock can read people. could he have deducted Moriarty's code from just looking? perhaps Moriarty feared that given enough time Sherlock could have walked off the roof tracked down the killers contact info after deducing the code from moriarty.  So moriarty presses him to act in the now by enacting the suicide. ^ nice theory perhaps.

However I think that if I were Moriarty-killing myself would require more impetous than just forcing Sherlock to jump.  (3 guns and  3 of S' friends was adequate motivation).  Something snapped in Moriarty otherwise he would have stuck around for the show.

November 18, 2013 5:02 am  #915

sirlockofthesher wrote:

I think the rational of just forcing Sherlock to jump by suicide was the motive behind Moriarty' suicide needs something more...

the key is the apparent slide of Moriarty's psychology during the "Thank you Bless you" scene.

Moriarty hit some sort-of psychosis that promoted his suicide. Like Moriarty said 'all the kings horsemen" couldnt make him talk.

There is something I like about your theory that resonates.  Sherlock can read people. could he have deducted Moriarty's code from just looking? perhaps Moriarty feared that given enough time Sherlock could have walked off the roof tracked down the killers contact info after deducing the code from moriarty.  So moriarty presses him to act in the now by enacting the suicide. ^ nice theory perhaps.

However I think that if I were Moriarty-killing myself would require more impetous than just forcing Sherlock to jump.  (3 guns and  3 of S' friends was adequate motivation).

Clearly, to Moriarty, the 3 guns and 3 of S' friends were inadequate motivation since Sherlock stepped back from the edge of the roof.

sirlockofthesher wrote:

Something snapped in Moriarty otherwise he would have stuck around for the show.

Moriarty knew there would be no show if he stuck around. 

Besides as Moriarty says, "Staying Alive ...so boring....it's just staying".  He thanked and blessed Sherlock for giving him a reason to die. 

John:  So you scratch their backs...
Sherlock:  Yes, and I disinfect myself.

November 19, 2013 12:12 am  #916

Here is the actual post I wrote--I hope the links pass this time.

Hello--
   I'm completely new to forums of any kind and relatively new to "Sherlock"--thanks, Netflix Canada--and I must begin by confessing I haven't read all the 62 pages here.  But what I have read sounds (mostly) cogent and reasonable.  I haven't seen anything, though, that seems to reference as 'facts' some Setlock photos that I recently stumbled onto.  Recognizing that Moffiss have said they've filmed red-herring shots to fool the on-set audiences, I nonetheless think these photos must be useful--and possibly real--in part because they often reinforce the theories folk here have been proposing.  Just hoping I can make the links work.  And hoping that those of you who feel the urgency to get this solved before the BFI members get to see the real deal next month (and some of them will tell--and many of us will look) will find the info you need here:

http://cassietaylor.tumblr.com/post/57061949445/hey-listen-up-here-second-edit-aug-6-2013

and here:

http://socialitelife.com/photos/benedict-cumberbatch-films-sherlock-in-london/benedict-cumberbatch-shoots-scenes-for-the-new-series-of-doctor-who-in-london-15

If the socialitelife.com gallery comes up in the wrong place, go further down the page until you can search through the thumbnails, beginning with a picture of Benedict with his back against a red door with a P sign that says 'Ambulances Only'.  (I have no idea why they think he's filming "Doctor Who".)
   Cassie Taylor, Tumblr-poster of the first link (via an acquaintance named Frankie), has a full-fledged theory to flog (not too unreasonable), but you can ignore her and just source the photos, which are amazing.  I like the ones from socialitelife.com best because I don't think they know what they've got re: the theory.  They're clearly out of order--so you folk will have to make sense out of them.
    Some things about the latter even a non-theorist noted: (a) Sherlock is at one point making a very fast run (from the crash scene?) to an ambulance entrance out of sight (necessary to make a retreat while John recovers?); (b) he is bleeding heavily from a head wound which is exactly where he seemed to have landed in the cliffhanger; (c) in two versions of the same photo, he seems to be sagging on his knees as if he has just suffered pretty serious bodily shock (how was he hurt?  did he indeed fall all the way?); (d) the people tending to him do indeed seem to be the homeless network.  (Note that in the CassieTaylor/Frankie theory, it would take several weeks to mount a headstone, during which Sherlock could've recovered from some bodily harm.)  I'd also like to point out that Benedict is making two jumps on this day:  a short one from a ladder and a longer one from the raised platform--which he has to watch a stunt double perform (that's BC with a parka over the famous coat on the riser's platform) to get it right before he does it himself.   Some portion of that instruction must be how his body has to be turned to show how Sherlock survived the fall.  (For one of the jumps, he's falling back-down . . . .)
   And why are we discussing whether Mycroft is in on it?  Of course he is.  There has to be someone to claim and identify the body, someone to ready the funeral arrangements with the mortuary.  Molly  might be able to provide a body but she certainly can't do the rest.  I'd like to take another theory I read here  (that Mycroft let Moriarity go because there was nothing more he could do with the incarcerated Jim and so he knew Sherlock would handle it) a step further.  There may have been a great deal of collusion between the brothers to fix Moriarity once and for all.  Remember that, when we first see Sherlock's name written backwards on glass, it's in that final scene in "Hounds": when we come into the cell with Mycroft, Sherlock's name is everywhere, but one on the 2-way mirror is written so that Mycroft could see it on his side of the glass earlier--just as Moriarity writes it in the Tower of London.  Then after Mycroft says, "All right, let him go", the remaining  functionary stands in a room already covered with handwritten "Sherlocks", and yet both the whispery voices and the on-screen text repeat "Sherlock" again and again.  What if that wasn't an incarceration but a mental treatment of some sort arranged by Mycroft to force Jim's obsession on the Final Problem--getting Sherlock out of the way--which the brothers already have some rudimentary plans about handling? ("All right--let him go" means he's been fully indoctrinated, not 'we're giving up on breaking him'.)  Why, for instance, does Sherlock say, while handcuffed to John and on the run, in answer to John's suggestion that they seek help from Mycroft, this is not a time for a reconcilation.  But there is no need for reconcilation:  Mycroft has agreed that Sherlock's opening Irene's phone "more than makes up" for his mistakes with her in that episode, and in "Hounds"  Mycroft actually texts Sherlock a couple of times while he is using M's stolen ID to penetrate a secret government installation, thereby preventing his being thrown out.  And by the next day, they go in under M's aegis.  WHAT reconcilation?  He just wants to fulfill Moriarity's plans by becoming a fugitive and to keep John from seeing Mycroft as a co-collaborator as the plot hurtles toward its seemingly grim end.

Last edited by OOthoon13 (November 19, 2013 12:26 am)

November 19, 2013 5:27 am  #917

Don'T worry, OOthoon, it's just your current member title. We've all been "Wrong" in the beginning. Post more, and it will change soon.

You could write an introduction here,
http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewforum.php?id=6
for example.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 20, 2013 4:17 am  #918

What if the number to call off the 3 assassins is Bach's  song or the binary code sequence? And Sherlock figured it out and that is why he sang "If I've got you?"

November 20, 2013 6:50 am  #919

Hmm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 21, 2013 3:44 am  #920

sirlockofthesher wrote:

Here is some of my theory: I have to get this set before season 3 because my family are having a contest to see who gets closer to the plot as well as the design of how Sherlock faked his death.

So this is the Plot only and takes us to the ledge where Sherlock jumps:

1. Sherlock exchanges his services to his brother-Mycroft- to gain access to the Baskerville again.  Sherlock agrees to help destroy/catch Moriarty.  Mycroft grants access to Baskerville and then at the end of the show lets Moriarty go.  So this starts RF. (check out the scene where Sherlock tells the Captain the he " ex...negotiated" the baskerville time.

2. Step 1 in Sherlock's plan. Become public figure to draw Moriarty out.  (High profile cases equals Moriarty watching) Scene where John tells Sherlock to find a quite case and Sherlock looks frustrated)
3. Step in Moriarty's plan-steal Turner's RF painting- setting up the RF HERO TERM. Great foreshadowing by the writer here uhm referring to ACD of course: a picture of Germanic waterfalls and Sherlock getting ready for his fall.  (this metaphor is all over RF episode) 
4. Moriarty plan:  3 high profile break ins and Sherlock attending the trial (this move is probably the equivalent of moving a bishop in the opening sequence of chess) Get your opponent in defensive mode. ALSO PLANTS MOLE IN POLICE DEPT.
5.Next step for BOTH players, Tea Scene: draw out opponent by use of force (Intelligence meeting intelligence). A posturing by both to entice the player to make a move.
6. Moriarty Step: Kidnapping.  This is used to drop a hint of doubt to take out Sherlock's support system and also to start to encourage the destruction of Sherlock's reputation. Moriarty does this by Kidnapping the children and making sure that they are stimulated to fear Sherlock.  I don't think anyone can really know how Moriarty does this- I don't see any clues regarding a mask but I can theorize that it probably has to due with imagery. i.e. Kidnapper wears the coat, the hat and resembles Sherlock to ellicite reaction from kid.  She only reacts when she sees sherlock not when she hears him.
7.Mycroft Move: Tell John about Terrorist Bad Guys- an evasive maneuver on Mycroft's part to get Sherlock's attention back on finding the "Code" instead of playing Moriarty's game.  like the BP's plans in the Great Game)
8. Moriarty Move(s)- Mole in police dept encourages donovan to supect sherlock- to get the handcuffed picture of Sherlock or force Sherlock to step outside the law and away from support system. Kitty article expose.  IOU's to unravel Sherlock some more.
9. Sherlock Move- use the found video to tell Moriarty that he is still not playing and also to encourage M that his plan is working by elliciting John's doubtful reactions.
10. Sherlock Move-do what Moriarty wants and become outlaw. get ahead of Moriarty. tries two ways 1. assassins (finding out what they want) 2 Kitty's Informant.  Both provide Sherlock with essential information. 1. the code is advertised and Sherlock is the key to it. 2. the informant turns out to be Moriarty..allowing Sherlock to come to the conclusion that the destruction of Sherlock's Reputation and his person is the end game.
12. Sherlock Move-castleing. Move a new underused player into the game. Molly. Someone Moriarty has overlooked. Sherlock uses Molly for faciliation of faking his death in all of the obvious ways. Oversee medical treatment of Corpse, death certificate, arranging for body for grave. fake blood. ect.  I am still thinking about a way Molly may have been used in addition to this and may add on.

Forgot to put in Moriarty's move: 3 assassins 3 bullets to increase Sherlock pressure to jump.

13.  Sherlock Move-find a code that can be applicable to what he needs Moriarty to buy into.  He knows there is no Code. Mycroft needs to know how Moriarty got into the 3 break-ins. But how to get Moriarty to spill the beans.?Que-stupid Doofus methodology. John helps with the tapping of his fingers. Sherlock realizes that Moriarty would love to contradict and point out Sherlock being stupid. (think Janus Cars and the Wife who contradicted Sherlock-same method here) He uses Bach's Piece to tell Moriarty that that is the code! Sherlock can't think ordinary which is why John is helpful. How to think up something truly Doofus worthy?...John:-) 
14. Sherlock Move-make Moriarty think he's even more ordinary.  Kill Richard Brook and bring back Moriarty.  Shelock knows that Richard Brook is the real and that Sherlock helped to create Moriarty.  But he needs to get M to spill so  the "but how did you...How did I get into the tower..yada yada..daylight robbery."  End game on code- Mycroft will be happy with the tape conversation on sher's phone.. now for the Final Problem...
15. Sherlock's move-find out how many pressure points are out there so he knows if his faked death as been compromised by M holding a gun over Molly's head.  3 guns 3 bullets...nope we're good to go..Molly is safe. (this I am adding: if the HofB drug was used-this is where it was administered with the two shakes Sherlock performs on Moriarty while hanging him over the edge of the building.  Signs that lead me to believe the theory is true are the blinking of the eyes by both S and M as well as the tears of S to expel the drug and M's quick erosion into a suicidal psychosis-what did he see when Sherlock said "I am you?")
16. Que the Homeless Network below to begin set-up of mechanism that will catch Sherlock in fall.
17. Sherlock's move to ask for Privacy-1st thought remove Moriarty to allow enough time for Sherlock fall and landing not be witnessed by Moriarty. Brainfart here on Sherlock's part.  "i'm not going to call it off" so it can be called off? stop fake suicide and time to go after Moriarty...
18. Sherlock's move (have you notice by now how many moves Sherlock has made to none being made by Moriarty- a good indication that your opponent is going into check mate don't ya think?)  Get to Moriarty. How? Even when Mycroft couldn't? Punching a psychopath in the face doesn't work Mycroft so... Mind F**k time. It all comes down to the "final problem" Staying Alive.   I think if anyone can swing someone into a suicidal psychosis it is Sherlock. How? "I am U" combined with "I may be on the side of the angels but don't think for one moment that I am one of them" In short, I am just as smart as you.  I will battle you and see you in hell if I have to. And that this game only ends with our deaths. And living is overrated now isn't it? This is the best Moriarty your life will ever be with me because Sherlock says in short that he won't be playing anymore. For a guy who is already insane..having your last destraction tell you that he won't be playing anymore is end of the world time. 

Did Sherlock expect Moriarty to kill himself\?..No. maybe...Walk away again...yes.  But Moriarty plays one last move. He makes a Back Rank Mate..forcing Sherlock into stalemate. I kill myself and you have to kill yourself.  Yes. That guy on the roof (moriarty or Richard Brook) is dead.  You cannot expel a fake bullet that close to your head without the air concussion killing you.

Interesting symmetry of the rooftop scene: when Moriarty thinks he's got Sherlock right where he wants him he circles Sherlock and when Sherlock realizes he can beat Moriarty he starts cirling Moriarty. And when Sherlock has to jump the camera circles him;-)

So this is the plot that gets us to the faked death scene which is a whole other analogy that I will post when I have time.  Sorry this is so long...just skip it if you don't have the time. I am sick and have nothing better to do....laterz!

Ok. Part 2 of THE FALL 

Sherlock is attached to a bungee rope type device that slows his fall. Below is a picture of the remnants of this "rope"  I believe that holes in S' jacket were disguised by Sherlock having his hands and arms behind his back when Moriarty circles him.  (I really wanted it to be a net but I am under the firm belief that the show would show us the mechanism is some way or form and I did not see any net referenced through all 6 of the shows-this was the only mechanism that is shown in anyway on site of the fall-a rope)

The side of the red truck with the bags in it was folded down over the chalk square on the sidewalk with the bags put on the unfolded side- to slow impact more. Sherlock bounces of this and he jumps off and onto the sidewalk, lies down and a homeless network person squirts blood onto Sherlock's head.

Last items that I think we can all agree on:

1. The biker was meant to hit John to delay him to getting to Sherlock
2. The Homeless Network was there to prevent John from getting too close a look.  The "Doctor" prevented john from taking a pulse anywhere except the right arm.
3.  Another Homeless network person was responsible for the blood being put on Sherlock's head.
4.  Molly fakes Sherlock's death report.
5. The homeless network take Sherlock into entryway of hospital on guerney.
6. The grey ball that Sherlock is playing with in the lab is the ball used to stop the pulse in his arm.
7. Sherlock's position during the fall indicates that he should have landed perpendicular to the building but landed parallel instead.
8. John was to stand where Sherlock directed him to so as not to see the mechanism that would stop Sherlock from crashing into the sidewalk. 

Other items that I believe happened:

1. Molly provided a dead body because Sherlock got off that guerney the moment it took the corner.
into the hospital.
2. Sherlock goes after John's sniper moments after faking his death. Also, the Sniper is positioned in the "Red Building" and cannot see over the carriage building in between the hospital and the Red Building so the Sniper also does not see Sherlock land due to building and bag truck. 
3. Mycroft removes Jim's body and retrieves the cellphone.
4. Red Herrings: Hanging Body (introduce a faked suicide theory  pretty early on as foreshadowing)
5. Someone else thought this up but the Kitty scene in the courthouse bathroom "you repel me"  a clue on how Sherlock faked his death? The missed clue perhaps that the Mofgiss referred to? I am going to go out on a  limb and say yes. 

Ok so that is it. I may add on a few more items. Sorry it's so long.

Last edited by sirlockofthesher (November 21, 2013 3:54 am)

Board footera