BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 7, 2013 2:16 pm  #881

Re: Go on then...what are your theories?

A spoiler thread has been created here

Last edited by sj4iy (July 7, 2013 2:19 pm)

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.
Bigby: Wait, that doesn’t make se-
Coline: Just give me a drink, please.

July 7, 2013 4:13 pm  #882

Just to block the view?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 7, 2013 4:15 pm  #883

besleybean wrote:

Just to block the view?

I figured that some people will want to guess at it without knowing what has happened, and that some people will want to guess about what they already know.  I think it's more fun this way, because then no one gets upset.

__________________________________________________________________Bigby: Will you shut up?
Colin: Well, maybe if my throat wasn’t so parched, I wouldn’t have to keep talking.

July 8, 2013 12:59 am  #884

Yeah, I really don't want to read any spoilers. Also, I would warn people to not believe every spoiler they come across

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the thing about fanfiction, it's always a self-portrait
People want to believe what is easy, rather than what is right.
"One begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts"

July 8, 2013 1:36 am  #885

sherlockian111 wrote:

Yeah, I really don't want to read any spoilers. Also, I would warn people to not believe every spoiler they come across

Some cannot be avoided for sure , opening a newspaper at work and seeing pics for example. Usually tho even the newspapers do not let anything too spoilery out.
However I Completely agree @Sherlockian , using anything not shown in the on screen episodes and looking things up from w/e  is not actually a theory but moving into fact ., which is not fun and requires almost no thinking. 
Personally I prefer Brainwork .

July 8, 2013 1:43 am  #886

lil wrote:

sherlockian111 wrote:

Some cannot be avoided for sure , opening a newspaper at work and seeing pics for example. Usually tho even the newspapers do not let anything too spoilery out.
However I Completely agree @Sherlockian , using anything not shown in the on screen episodes and looking things up from w/e  is not actually a theory but moving into fact ., which is not fun and requires almost no thinking. 
Personally I prefer Brainwork .

I don't think that's a fair thing to say.  I have seen some spoilers, but personally, I had a theory of what I thought ever since I first watched it long ago and everything I've seen so far supports what I came up with.  It's still fun to talk about, and it still requires "brainwork", because we don't know anything for sure yet...and we won't until we see it, just like everyone else.  I understand people not wanting to see spoilers, which is why I created a new thread for people who do...that way, everyone can discuss it fairly and evenly, and no one gets upset.

Last edited by sj4iy (July 8, 2013 1:44 am)

July 8, 2013 2:46 am  #887

As long as no one mentions evidence that should be unavaliable data - It's all fine.

:-)

July 8, 2013 6:50 am  #888

lil wrote:

As long as no one mentions evidence that should be unavaliable data - It's all fine.

:-)

I agree. I think people inadvertantly say things because they have seen spoilers and their opinion is altered by that. Guess that's why its a good thing that a spoilers thread has started up. Protect us who don't want to know yet!

================================================================

July 8, 2013 7:35 am  #889

There is no doubt truth in this.
However, some people can just accidentally hit on the right answers or indeed work out what is going to happen next series.
But specifically to the survival, yeah, some of us have seen all sorts.
Having siad that, persoanlly I'm not interested in how he did it. He just did, which is all that matters to me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

July 8, 2013 8:09 am  #890

The setlock pictures won't give away the solution to the fall problem. It would be really stupid to give us a puzzle to work out and then reveal everything through filming.
And they said the solution was already filmed. No need to do it in setlock series 3 when everybody is watching curiously.
The setlock connected to the fall problem might be a dream, a nightmare, a fake or John's imagination while deducing what had happend. Some crack theories filmed for us to see that the theories are wrong.

July 8, 2013 8:15 am  #891

Yeah, I agree. For all we know, they could have filmed several solutions, just to throw us off the track

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 8, 2013 1:34 pm  #892

besleybean wrote:

There is no doubt truth in this.
However, some people can just accidentally hit on the right answers or indeed work out what is going to happen next series.
But specifically to the survival, yeah, some of us have seen all sorts.
Having siad that, persoanlly I'm not interested in how he did it. He just did, which is all that matters to me!

I loved it because, for once, the cliffhanger wasn't about "Is he really dead?!?"...because of course he isn't.  There isn't any mystery in that.  By showing Sherlock in the end, the mystery switched to "How did he do it?" and has engaged fans in much speculation for many months now.  We're the detectives, observing and deducting, trying to find out what doesn't make sense and come up with solutions as to why they don't make sense.  Personally, I had to keep watching it and dissecting it until I came up with a way it was done.  This was long before filming ever began.  I'm hoping that at least some of what I came up with is right, because that's the fun of it now...how close was I?

July 8, 2013 1:55 pm  #893

The only parts I'm really interested in contain spoilers, so I can't say on here!

July 12, 2013 6:12 am  #894

/my final non spoilery thoughts on TRF ...

On IOU @ Bach code , to use IOU in Bach's code it must first become I v U ? no O in old alphabet Bach used V and v instead  , IvU  then becomes the musical notes b a g , bag  . A bag puzzle is a traditional challange/game of logic .
So it kinda translates into  "me verses you in a logical challange / thinking match ? "  and its to the death....the Tower Hills text rem .

When Sherlock says/sings  " I got you "  it is the winning move / phrase . This is a battle of wits ~ death doesn't matter here ( too dull boring ordinary). 
Why is it the winning move ? Because Moriarty boasted (this is the tale of Sir Boastalot lol btw ) of the existance of the recall code .
It doesn't matter whether it is used or not this is about winning the game , this is brain warfare as Moriarty says ,,,
" If I am alive you can save your friends " .
So Sherlock has won at this point , Moriarty can't use the blackmail/shoot friends  threat anymore , SH said no , " I got you" ..an out .
So the only move Moriarty has left to win the game is to take  "you" ( himself ) out of the game leaving Sherlock on the ledge with nothing again .
Thus Moriarty shoots himself @ dies happy thinking Sherlock must now jump and he has won the game .

The faked death explanation will be as simple as probably all mentioned here and maybe some we havn't thought up  ~ planned by SH , depending on the circumstances of the Jump, thus SH@Mycroft cover all possible out comes of the confrontation.
( I think they plan this from ASIB ~ When on meeting Moriarty , Mycroft say's " It can be arranged " )
Everything else , the fake code , the fairy tales etc is explained in the show.

There are a lot of morality/semi religious symbols/words themes etc in this episode , kinda the hidden message for those that want to look and see , observe something deeper........

Briefly .Five orange pips = secret messages between religious groups , add in ,  King James Bible 1885 , the FALL of man , the APPLE ,rem. Eve , graffiti with one pair of WHITE WINGS , angels , one pair of BLACK WINGS , demons, " on the side of the angels " , "shake your hand in hell"  , burning , and quite a few more .

This is kinda a deeper metaphorical representation of the good old good v evil morality thing
 John @ Lestrade@ co being the angels side , and Moriarty @ criminals @ co being the demons side .
Moriarty thinks he is going to hell and he wants to take Sherlock with him , thats why he can't just kill Sherlock .
Sherlock must die a sinner via suicide or by becoming a killler in order to meet Moriarty in hell .
It seems the last few words they share reflect an agreement on that , Sherlock will be there to shake hands in hell,  @  so M says " Bless You " . @ they shake on it .
 M then goes on to shoot himself , winning and forcing the suicide pact . (sinners deaths or so he thinks)

And all this is followed by a miracle style ressurection...
Coincidences to be written off or are we supposed to be getting a fairy tale style / morality lesson here on the balancing act of what is good / not good in the modern age? 

Sherlock is stuck in the middle of this , teaching Sherlock whats good and whats a bit not good has been a theme from the first , rem what Lestrade said about  Sh becoming a good man in the first episode. 

The great joke is Sherlock avoids the whole thing tricking both sides , beating both god and the Devil if you will .
He chooses Neither , Both ,and  Cheats all @the same time.

"I'l just be myself."

In interview Moffat said ,,,, " Dr Who is a god trying to become human and Sherlock Holmes is a man aiming to become a god. "  and this episode kinda makes it so . 

SH Quote from canon . " I see no crime here only justice."  @ a murder case.  
Kinda reflective of that , SH can from now on decide for himself what is good and what is not good.

After all   " The truth is rarely pure and never simple."

/only a true fan could come up with a SH is godlike theory huh....................

psst  TY to the peoples tht talked some of my ideas through with me in earlier/other threads 

Last edited by lil (July 12, 2013 6:40 am)

July 12, 2013 7:44 am  #895

I hate the religious tones, but they are no doubt there.  I saw them immediately. But they just make good(but lazy in my opinion) TV.
Sherlock merely played Moriarty at his game...and thankfully he won.

July 15, 2013 1:28 am  #896

My obsession is new enough, yet powerful enough, that I have read all 60 pages of this thread in the past few days. Some very interesting ideas here...

Newbie that I am, may I make a comment about "spoilers" and setlock? I can't find the link, but I watched an interview with Gatiss, Moffat, and Cumberbatch and in it they assured the interviewer in no uncertain terms that watching the filming was not in any way going to help anyone figure out the solution to our own Sherlockian Final Problem. (anyone have that interview?)

So I have been looking at any "spoilery" things I can get my eyes on, just out of curiosity, but nothing I have seen has made me any more or less sure of any theories I've got going on than I was before. I mean, let's face it, given what the guys said in that interview, I'm not going to look at some online photos and go, "OMG!! Look, there's a big snarflegluff right under the borchtboiler, and Sherlock obviously frgbled onto it between prylsting and whirnelling!" or, "OMG!! Look, there's a professional celebrity cheekbone-sharpener approaching Benedict and honing them into even more lethal weapons (and re-vorpaling his brglesnot at the same time), so that proves the theory about his cheekbones cutting the cement till it bleeds IS the correct one!" (whoever's cheek-implanted tongue came up with that one, about 30 pages ago, I applaud you, I love it.)

So...while I do respect the desire for no spoilers, and beyond the above I will endeavor not to indulge in any, I think Moffniss also desires no spoilers and will keep us honest. I have as much faith in them that they will make sure nothing as prosaic as exterior filming ruins our experience of the next episode as I do that they will give us three more lovely, elegant, witty adventures to wrap around ourselves like tea cozies...

...before leaving us in shocked agony for another 3 years or so while they film the next set.

"I always hear 'punch me in the face' when you're speaking, but usually it's subtext."

July 15, 2013 2:26 am  #897

Gretel wrote:

My obsession is new enough, yet powerful enough, that I have read all 60 pages of this thread in the past few days. Some very interesting ideas here...

Newbie that I am, may I make a comment about "spoilers" and setlock? I can't find the link, but I watched an interview with Gatiss, Moffat, and Cumberbatch and in it they assured the interviewer in no uncertain terms that watching the filming was not in any way going to help anyone figure out the solution to our own Sherlockian Final Problem. (anyone have that interview?)

So I have been looking at any "spoilery" things I can get my eyes on, just out of curiosity, but nothing I have seen has made me any more or less sure of any theories I've got going on than I was before. I mean, let's face it, given what the guys said in that interview, I'm not going to look at some online photos and go, "OMG!! Look, there's a big snarflegluff right under the borchtboiler, and Sherlock obviously frgbled onto it between prylsting and whirnelling!" or, "OMG!! Look, there's a professional celebrity cheekbone-sharpener approaching Benedict and honing them into even more lethal weapons (and re-vorpaling his brglesnot at the same time), so that proves the theory about his cheekbones cutting the cement till it bleeds IS the correct one!" (whoever's cheek-implanted tongue came up with that one, about 30 pages ago, I applaud you, I love it.)

So...while I do respect the desire for no spoilers, and beyond the above I will endeavor not to indulge in any, I think Moffniss also desires no spoilers and will keep us honest. I have as much faith in them that they will make sure nothing as prosaic as exterior filming ruins our experience of the next episode as I do that they will give us three more lovely, elegant, witty adventures to wrap around ourselves like tea cozies...

...before leaving us in shocked agony for another 3 years or so while they film the next set.

Having not actively looked for spoilers I've managed to accidently see some. Not to do with how he survived the fall but relating to other bits in the episodes which I don't want to know.

Regarding the final I'm sure we will do the same thing we did this time and pull apart every part of the episode trying to work out the answer.
Also thinking about waiting another 3 years makes me think of this...

But I think as long as we get the answer we'll wait. I'd hate to think that they would give us a killer cliff hanger then the show got cancelled or something.
I think it's safe to say we would RIOT!!!

================================================================

July 15, 2013 7:54 am  #898

Gretel wrote:

Welcome to the thread.  And the forum.  So, do you have a theory?  Or do you lean one way or another toward one?  I like this one myself,  but of course, it's a HUGE spoiler!

SPOILER ALERT!  LOOK OUT BELOW!!!!!...

July 15, 2013 8:04 am  #899

Brilliant!

July 15, 2013 10:16 am  #900

Damn it, why didn't I think of that? *sighs

Board footera